It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very weird theory that I found on the Internet

page: 76
<< 73  74  75    77  78  79 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko
a reply to: daftpink

We discussed that in the thread. Auto correct fixes Berenstain to Berenstein, so a lot of people selling books or memorabilia don't notice their spell checker fixed it.

We know how you feel about it Ray, and we know that auto correct could be responsible. I for one don't rule out those memory issues you discuss, despite having more examples than most. I however have been acutely aware of exactly the faulty memory processes you discuss on a great number of occasions, and can tell you these feel different. Let me try to explain.

The faulty memories I have are always where my mind has enriched the scene in a very sensory way. Perhaps the room has re arranged, or a colors that weren't noticed are added. Maybe a friend has been switched with another that would be more typical for the setting, etc.

I am very careful about relying on my memory alone, you have to build the whole world around it to even be halfway confident. These memories we are having are of a different sort. It's a dilemNa. They are beneath these types of memories. It is rooted in the language, not the picture of a logo or a book. It's as though one day you woke up and green was spelled grean, and everyone knew it but you.

Now did we all learn it wrong? Probably. It makes the most sense. It would be the first time for me. I catch typos when speed reading and thought it was stupid that we had to waste time in 3rd grade to learn cursive. I have amazing eyesight and literally read everything in sight. Sometimes I like to look at signs at a glance casually and try to read them in my minds eye. I read every license plate on the road, I practice extrapolating letters from far away bumper stickers.

It may well be typos. Can we marvel in the fact that the founders of all those companies that created that spell check, as well as the code monkeys et al, were probably read those books as children. Can we let the world be a magical place for a few minutes. It is healthy.

B4 someone calls me out for a typo or some such, I do this exclusively on my phone.

(I edited your post in my reply, I capitalized the B in the stain version to see if it was accepted, it was not. Curious)

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   

We discussed that in the thread. Auto correct fixes berenstain to Berenstein, so a lot of people selling books or memorabilia don't notice their spell checker fixed it.

Auto correct is a smart phone feature and smart phones weren't introduced until 2008. The link I gave is from 2007.

Are you suggesting that the majority of bearsteins on the Internet are only there due to autocorrect? if so i would have to disagree as the dates and the popularity of smart phones don't add up.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I too clearly recall it spelled BerenstEin and assumed it was pronounced bear-in-steen.
I was an avid reader, had a ton of the books. I know there was a show but can't really remember it.

A few years back,I remember my kids watching the show a few times. In the theme song it sounded like they said BerenstAin but the song sounded kind of country so I just figured it was an accent thing. (I never bothered to check the spelling.)

Here's what makes it weird for me:
As a kid I remember looking at the book cover and reading the BerenstEin Bears but it was written by Stan and Jan BerenstAin.
Like why would they name the bears after themselves but spell it different?
That question really bugged me in a weird way.

This is all so interesting to me. I have no idea what it means but I'm open to all possibilities.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ISawItFirst

You just spooked the crap out of me with your reference to the dream where you got shot three times in the chest.

I had a dream, aged 18, in which I was running through a dilapidated, derelict and basically destroyed school, climbing over piles of broken desks, running for my life. An Apache helicopter was outside the building, slowly circling its nose round in my direction, peppering the glass and brink with .50 cal rounds. It was basically trying to take me out - they knew I was in the building, but weren't sure where, so they were doing a 360deg strafe. I got to halfway through the room and saw my exit was blocked - there was nowhere to run.

I turned, stood still, and faced the window. I saw the pilots with their goggles and helmets, dispassionate, just doing their jobs, realising they had me. three rounds hit me square in the abdomen/chest, and I found myself falling backwards, into a sort of comfortable, black softness, felt like being wrapped in pure comfort, the weight of life totally lifted. Someone/ several beings, caught me, and the next thing I knew I was waking up on the floor of a beautiful forest, twilight streaming through the branches, it was a place of perfect peace & tranquillity. I looked around and saw an angel/ being of light approach, and he spoke some words of great comfort, at which I broke down in relief & gratitude. I was finally home, safe, job done. I saw several symbols around me in the environment, all of which I now understand, though not at the time. Then, I woke peacefully in my bed, and felt like life was worth living again (it had been a very dark time, and the dream seemed to totally change my perceptions.

It was strange, I remember the old story about how 'if you die in a dream, you die in real life too..' - but my experience tells me that's not the case, and I was most grateful that I was shown that experience - I can live free from fear, and simply try to work good in the world while I'm here. I've had all manner of dreams, I remember almost all of my dreams, from every single time I sleep, and many have been similarly 'spiritual' and positive.

As regards this particular thread, I have some related thoughts, which I plan to add later. Your post just caught my eye, for the reasons stated. Don't be afraid - live well, travel well.

FITO.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

My spell-checker auto-corrects from 'Berenstein' to 'Berenstain', and although I have racked my brains about this, I still can't get my head around the absolute surety I have that the 'Berenstein' spelling is the correct one. The photoshopped images that people have posted of the title being adjusted to the 'Berenstein' spelling on the cover of the books, only serves to worry me more, because THAT'S HOW I REMEMBER IT.!! No bones about it, something is awry here, and it's not the collective recall of thousands upon thousands of people who even remember discussing the correct pronunciation with teachers, the fact that had it been 'Berenstain' they would have made at least a few potty jokes about bears with stained underwear.

I read a book once, which ended up in my hands through an intriguing set of circumstances - a collection of short SF stories edited by - Michael Moorcock, the king of 'Multiverse' sci-fi himself.

In one of the stories, a man is being transported to a certain seaside town, but is with a few companions who decide to stop off along the way, to check out a sinkhole/cave that they'd heard tell of. On the journey there, the protagonist is beginning to feel unsettled, finding himself questioning details of the landscape, such as road signs seeming to be wrong, buildings in the wrong place and such like. He is paranoid, apprehensive and mentally slightly 'wobbly' by the time they get to the sinkhole/cave, and doesn't really want to go in, but is convinced and off they go. Whilst in the cave, he blacks out due to a strange sort of wooziness that comes on, feeling as though something is just 'wrong'. When he comes to, his companions have brought him back to the surface, and make an effort to reassure him, and soon they are back on their way to the seaside. The final portion of the book, as they drive, focuses on the protagonist's neurotic internal dialogue, his obsessions with the seeming 'unreality' of reality, as though everything has a slightly different 'texture' or 'colour' in some sense. He becomes convinced of a terrifying thought that he has been phased into another reality, and begins to wonder about what might be expected, as signs of the change - perhaps only one small detail might be different, perhaps much will be different. He eventually confides in his travelling companions, and they do their best to reassure him. Finally, as they approach their destination, he becomes more or less satisfied that he probably just 'had a funny turn', and is ready to face the world again.

They exit the car and walk to the beach - it appears to be a typical British seaside scene, but with one striking, terrifying difference - instead of facing out to the ocean, everyone has their chairs, windbreakers, towels etc, laid out in such a way as they were positioned for gazing inwards, towards the land, and not towards the sea. It was all the more terrifying, because during the first part of their journey, before the strangeness began, the travelling group of friends had been discussing new anthropological studies showing that quite possibly Mankind had an aquatic ancestry - this is clearly borne out in the fact that the people on the beach face inwards, not interested so much in terms of escapism by looking to the ocean, but towards the land, as if our lineage and cultural nostalgia were totally inverted.

I'm sure I haven't done it justice, but when I read of the Berenstein/Berenstain dilemma & the furore surrounding people's recollections, I instantly thought of that story. It was a masterclass in surrealistic terror; though there's not much actual substance to the story, the internal paranoia of the protagonist was eloquently and brilliantly placed, a sort of creeping terror that finishes with a metaphysical uppercut to the jaw.

I'll dig out the book and give the title for anyone who wants to read it. The fact that Moorcock edited it, only adds to the weirdness, that he would be the guy who perhaps had most claim to the title of best SF writer concerning the subtle possibilities involving parallel realities.

FITO.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyInTheOintment

You just spooked the crap out of me with your reference to the dream where you got shot three times in the chest.

I had a dream, aged 18, in which I was running through a dilapidated, derelict and basically destroyed school, climbing over piles of broken desks, running for my life. An Apache helicopter was outside the building, slowly circling its nose round in my direction, peppering the glass and brink with .50 cal rounds. It was basically trying to take me out - they knew I was in the building, but weren't sure where, so they were doing a 360deg strafe. I got to halfway through the room and saw my exit was blocked - there was nowhere to run.

I turned, stood still, and faced the window. I saw the pilots with their goggles and helmets, dispassionate, just doing their jobs, realising they had me. three rounds hit me square in the abdomen/chest, and I found myself falling backwards, into a sort of comfortable, black softness, felt like being wrapped in pure comfort, the weight of life totally lifted. Someone/ several beings, caught me, and the next thing I knew I was waking up on the floor of a beautiful forest, twilight streaming through the branches, it was a place of perfect peace & tranquillity. I looked around and saw an angel/ being of light approach, and he spoke some words of great comfort, at which I broke down in relief & gratitude. I was finally home, safe, job done. I saw several symbols around me in the environment, all of which I now understand, though not at the time. Then, I woke peacefully in my bed, and felt like life was worth living again (it had been a very dark time, and the dream seemed to totally change my perceptions.

It was strange, I remember the old story about how 'if you die in a dream, you die in real life too..' - but my experience tells me that's not the case, and I was most grateful that I was shown that experience - I can live free from fear, and simply try to work good in the world while I'm here. I've had all manner of dreams, I remember almost all of my dreams, from every single time I sleep, and many have been similarly 'spiritual' and positive.

As regards this particular thread, I have some related thoughts, which I plan to add later. Your post just caught my eye, for the reasons stated. Don't be afraid - live well, travel well.

FITO.

I wish mine ended the same. In mine as I bled out my view goes from first to thrird person. Looking down on my body, and turns into a caricature, like a panel from a cartoon. Then, starting with the blood, it is as if someone put a fountain pen to the page, and the blood bleeds into black before the rest of the scene all bleeds into black. Then I wake. I've had it probably 2 or 3 dozen times. Mostly young and decreasing frequency as I got older.

PS My sleep paralysis story is pretty nuts too. Your story reminds me of it very much.
edit on 12-1-2015 by ISawItFirst because: Added Post Script

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

I quite distinctly remember Twilight Zone episodes that apparently never aired. Same with some books that I was sure I had read.

I look for the titles online sometimes and it's like they never existed. Or else, something had been changed about them.

This thread is proof that something is amiss in our Universe. Something that shouldn't be questioned, and yet, it still is.

This shouldn't even be an issue to discuss about. No one questions the spelling of books or other movies, maybe even popular events. Who would or could do that?

The answer lies somewhere between here and there, in a place some call the Twilight Zone.
Do not be alarmed, we are in control of your perception. We control what you see and what you hear but we do not exist. Anyone questioning this is an enemy.

An enemy of freedom. An enemy of democracy or Christianity or The Greater Good.

Funny thing about humans, we always have to do things in service of another thing. It can never be from our greed, or lust or hunger. We lie to ourselves and say we are better than animals. We have digital watches and automobiles, animals have nothing.

Wrong.

We are animals like every other living thing on our Earth. It's just that our brain has the capacity to lie to itself.
Insanity is a thin line that is always a blur of self harm or harm to the Greater Good.

Maybe insanity was invented to silence people that that talked about the wrong things.

We're all crazy conspiracy theorists right?

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: thisguy27

What episodes of the twilight zone?

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Auto correct is from text editors far before the smartphone...

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   

What text editor? I demonstrated it earlier in the thread with several word processors.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   

The crux of your argument is that you rely on your memory alone, yet it's scientifically been proven that our memories change...

I also used to spell dilemma with a n, then I went to college and found out I spelled it wrong...

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Well one things for sure -
My next band name is going to be The Berenstein Bears

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   

What text editor? I demonstrated it earlier in the thread with several word processors.

I don't think they are arguing with you Ray. Someone claimed auto correct was a smart phone feature, not older than 97 iirx. It was clearly a poor argument that was being addressed.

For anyone still waiting. The disease that was cured was AIDS. It was National AIDS conference in DC. The guy had a dialysis type machine that cycled the blood out, treated it, and put it back. He claimed it was similar to a microwave, but the trick was finding the right freq. Or wavelength to destroy the virus. They discussed the blood work of the panel and showed how they had no traces of AIDs. They said the blood was heated in the process, and the panel all said it was the most amazing feeling getting the warm blood cycled back into them.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 03:03 AM
link   

confused

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Holy moly. I remember this...I'm going to research it...

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I remember something like this on Coast 2 Coast AM.

I remember it happening in San Francisco.

What I also remember is it started with a blood transfusion with a baboon and a baby.

I'm not talking about the baby and baboon heart transplant.

After the baby was cured, then they cured a man.

edit on 14-1-2015 by BerenstEiner because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Holy moly. I remember this...I'm going to research it...

Holy Moly is right!! Even if you did remember it, I'd assume you would chalk it up to a changed memory, and certainly not mention it in this thread.

Respect earned.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: BerenstEiner

What I also remember is it started with a blood transfusion with a baboon and a baby.

That doesn't seem to have anything in common with my memory. Why would they ever transfuse (word?)
blood between a baby and a babboon.

Not saying you didn't experience it, we can add it to the list.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ISawItFirst

That doesn't seem to have anything in common with my memory. Why would they ever transfuse (word?)

baboon transfusion

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ISawItFirst

baboon transfusion

Thanks for the link. Still reading it. The way your post sounded it was as though it was a happy accident of the transfusion. I can see where I misunderstood. I'm still interested in why it was supposed to work.

top topics

<< 73  74  75    77  78  79 >>

join