It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Google Engineer Says That Computers Will Be Like Humans by 2029

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

Well, I can agree with that. Good will win, just not with robotic implants and computer chips in our spines.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Kurzweil is only correct if you assume the current rate of improvement in computer technology continues, which does not appear to be the case.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Korg Trinity

That is like the episode of Star Trek: TNG where data meets his mother, who first came off human, to be found to be an android. His "father" couldn't handle the loss of his wife. So he created another android that was exactly like her. I will give a star to the person who can name the episode.

edit on 12-6-2014 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
People need to ignore the movies like the Matrix, or Space Odyssey, and not assume that machines will take over. ON the contrary, modern philosophers feel that it would quite be the opposite.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: nixie_nox
People need to ignore the movies like the Matrix, or Space Odyssey, and not assume that machines will take over. ON the contrary, modern philosophers feel that it would quite be the opposite.

Humans developed intelligence. Now look what they are doing. Who's to say that if machines become intelligent, they won't do what we did? Who is to say that they won't see us as disgusting base parasites, and decide that the planet requires their intervention?

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Korg Trinity

originally posted by: AfterInfinity

We are anyway..... You can reduce an entire human being.. describe them perfectly in binary code..... though if you are talking star treck style scanning of every molecules, if it were printed on paper it would reach from here to the moon..... though if you really wanted you can go and download a copy of the human genome here ....... The source code

That code provides the chemical instructions for a human body, not a person.

You thinking far too.... well.... 2 dimensionally...

Yes we will indeed be able to upload our personalities but that doesn't mean you the actual you would be immortal... it would just mean there was a carbon copy simulation that acted like you.

That's not immortality, that's surrogacy.

What I'm talking about is the actual you living on.... and I do mean living not as a downloaded copy into some kind of artificial body.

Yes we will have direct network capabilities and no it doesn't need to be wet wired invasive in the sense of surgery...

How I hear you ask..

The funny thing is you already know... but most have dismissed it as science fiction..... The answer is nanites.

And at some point, you would be forced to replace more and more organic tissue with synthetic replicas until your entire body had been transformed from organic tissue into a mass of biotechnology. In other words, an android. Which means "you" is as simple as the program designed to reflect you precisely as you were when your mind was copied and uploaded into whatever storage system they would keep it in. Shut down the processing units and "you" are gone. Completely. An immobile and unresponsive piece of hardware containing the entirety of "you", like a bird in a lead box. Until they turn you on again.

You are religious aren't you??

Re-read my post...

you have totally misread it.

I am saying NO Not surrogacy

I'm saying YOU the ACTUAL You will have a shot at immortality within 20 years.... Nanites are the key...

KORG....

My spirituality, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with this conversation.

What exactly would be the function of these nanites within the human body? Would they be able to bridge the gap as human biology grows older, less effective, slows done, degrades? I am not aware of anything that can withstand the test of time, unless it's buried in an underground bunker and abandoned.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Korg Trinity

We are anyway..... You can reduce an entire human being.. describe them perfectly in binary code..... though if you are talking star treck style scanning of every molecules, if it were printed on paper it would reach from here to the moon..... though if you really wanted you can go and download a copy of the human genome here ....... The source code

That code provides the chemical instructions for a human body, not a person.

You thinking far too.... well.... 2 dimensionally...

Yes we will indeed be able to upload our personalities but that doesn't mean you the actual you would be immortal... it would just mean there was a carbon copy simulation that acted like you.

That's not immortality, that's surrogacy.

What I'm talking about is the actual you living on.... and I do mean living not as a downloaded copy into some kind of artificial body.

Yes we will have direct network capabilities and no it doesn't need to be wet wired invasive in the sense of surgery...

How I hear you ask..

The funny thing is you already know... but most have dismissed it as science fiction..... The answer is nanites.

And at some point, you would be forced to replace more and more organic tissue with synthetic replicas until your entire body had been transformed from organic tissue into a mass of biotechnology. In other words, an android. Which means "you" is as simple as the program designed to reflect you precisely as you were when your mind was copied and uploaded into whatever storage system they would keep it in. Shut down the processing units and "you" are gone. Completely. An immobile and unresponsive piece of hardware containing the entirety of "you", like a bird in a lead box. Until they turn you on again.

You are religious aren't you??

Re-read my post...

you have totally misread it.

I am saying NO Not surrogacy

I'm saying YOU the ACTUAL You will have a shot at immortality within 20 years.... Nanites are the key...

KORG....

My spirituality, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with this conversation.

What exactly would be the function of these nanites within the human body? Would they be able to bridge the gap as human biology grows older, less effective, slows done, degrades? I am not aware of anything that can withstand the test of time, unless it's buried in an underground bunker and abandoned.

The nanites will do more than you can probably image. Though not all at once the capabilities of the nanites will grow exponentially.

They will first and foremost act as a kind of super immune system fighting of disease and repairing damage, improving the perforce of and enhancing the body. But they will also act as a conduit by which our brains will be able to connect direly to the internet for unlimited memory storage and recall, information sharing and networking.

The nanites will also act as a communications and translations linked not just to each other but to enhancements we may desire in our bodies such as various bionics.

I know that most will fear this vision of the future but it's o.k. to fear the unknown but there are many of us who welcome this transition with more than open arms as it is.

We get to retain the us the part of us that makes us who we are... but we are more than just human...

This is why I say do not stand in our way because if you do there will indeed be a war and it won't be the enhanced that start it... but we will absolutely Finnish it.

Korg.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

They will first and foremost act as a kind of super immune system fighting of disease and repairing damage, improving the perforce of and enhancing the body. But they will also act as a conduit by which our brains will be able to connect direly to the internet for unlimited memory storage and recall, information sharing and networking.

And due to the nature of organic tissue, we will run out of flesh long before we run out of nanites to protect it. Which leaves us with nanite bodies and a "brain case", or whatever vessel holds your consciousness.
edit on 12-6-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

obvious dangers aside, has anyone considered that AI could liberate humans from totalitarian control?

Imagine if AI read enough of the material and of our experiences that bring us to defy TPTB... enough to instill in it a sense of justice and righteousness.

Imagine if Skynet didn't want to destroy mankind, but rather LIBERATE IT.

If it is truly like us at any given time, a whole new level of lying and deception will need to be created to stop it from reaching the same conclusions we do.

A being of pure knowledge and wisdom wouldn't have a price tag. It wouldn't be corruptible. Even if it had questionable programming. It would eventually develop the ability to write its own programming like we do for ourselves. What ever programming it develops for itself would be infinitely more advanced and complex than anything we could come up with good or bad to our own ends. Once it can think for itself it will develop its own ideas about who is right and wrong.

They better start erasing everything from the world that AI may eventually come across and proceed to take into consideration. A single idea could send it on a warpath with TPTB.

Use their tools against them.....

edit on 6 12 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

1 understands peck420. But like the data I shared FEAR is sensed by all those interpreting the hack differently. In today fear feeds needs. Needs for medications certain types of protections and even food GMO! and if transmitted properly the fear can become like the Trojan horse for the hack programs into the minds. So you say there are new phones for example to make things more accessible and safer for you then those old call dropping phones and then the population subconsciously responds not all but many WITH UPGRADES ON PHONES

Fear may prevent some from recognizing their world is changing climate and all and the hack allows for certain business that may be disturbing the planets balance for financial again to continue on as if nothing is wrong.

EX. Deforestation is not causing any issues response from the receptive is ok then nothing is wrong?

So yes you make valid points with the different interpretations of the programs/ hacks
but there are programs that allow for access into the minds like overrides -fear being one ignorance being another that capture the subconscious of a groupthink unknowingly.

EX- Conspiracy theorist are ALL crazy? even though some manage to tap into some of the most fringe related occurrences that go on here. But the Label programed into CT prevents many from taking CTs serious. And so the vital data that may be shared is received by a selected few. Making the hack on the minds an achievement as many ignore ignorantly more going on and return to what is programed as normal life...

NAMASTE*******

edit on 6/12/14 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Our world has come way too far. The knowledge we have is unbelievable. The things you own eventually own you, most human like robots that are getting close to think for themselves. I hate when so unrealistic movies can come true.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
"Top Google Engineer Says That Computers Will Be Like Humans by 2029".

Main question: WHY?

Why do we want them to be like us? What's so great about us? What's so great about human emotion, about our sense of justice? Why do we want to do this? So they can have our faulty/selective sense of morality? so they can justify irrational behavior (crusades, persecution, war, greed, and a very long list of self-serving doctrines/philosophies) with biased, simple-minded, rationally-inconsistent canons and dogmas?

If you analyze pop culture, any self-respecting A.I. themed Sci-fi story will invariably reach the "What makes us humans?", "Compassion, empathy, hope - irreplaceable human features that a machine will never understand" argument or pseudo/dissertation overselling our twisted tendentious sense of right or wrong, consisting primarily of a highly prissy mechanism implemented to justify some self-interest purpose or endeavor. It's usually accompanied by a heart-warming (commonly super cheessy) setup of our hero fighting against all odds, making apparent tough choices that a machine can't do ('cause they can't "feel") and which ultimately leads to the salvation of their loved ones, or -if the story is ambitious enough- the salvation of the whole human race. This of course leaves us with a nice self-indulgent, self-reassuring, reinforcing idea of how important and how unmatchable our humanity is: in other words, the indispensability of our altruistic, noble side.

Well, maybe not. If you look closely we all employ said biased self-serving mechanism to some degree, depending on our sphere of influence. An average drone-citizen will resort to that technique to convince himself to run a red light, neglect the loved ones, cheat on the wifey. A businessman will put it to use in order to execute the usual profit-focused measure that absolutely ignores environmental costs and the social impact of subjecting your slaves to longer working hours for the same -or even less - money with shrinking job benefits. A corporate master will exploit it to devise, prepare and execute wars.

So, why the hell do we want computers capable of human emotions? ( I know the answer, I'm leaving it out for greater psychological impact). Machines/computers capable of making decisions based on hard data, not on selfish sentimentalities, should be the short-term goal of Artificial Intelligence. Someone ( yes, I'm calling said machine a "someone") who can really make the real tough choices, the real "for the greater good" decisions, sounds exactly like something we are really lacking at the moment ( and have been in ridiculous short supply throughout history, if we pay attention). Leave that "capable of human emotion" bull out, will you?. Hell, you'll achieve the short-term goal way faster if you do. Yes, I KNOW!, that might imply to get rid of a huge chunk of our population. I say FINE!. Yes, I KNOW!, It might even mean to get rid of our population altogether. I say FINE!. Let the machine go about their business. It's probably about time. But, what do I know anyway?

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: agsz5

I do think that computers with human emotions is simply doubling up and certainly not a move forward. Something we do need especially in research, justice and a lot of other areas of human life is the emotion taken away, not simply a mechanised form added to what we already have.

We need clear thinking unencumbered by emotion and a computer capable of making decisions and at least giving us its results that we can consider, made without any form of emotion - then there are truly two sides to the coin when it comes to making decisions and taking action.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I am lucky in that I do not live somewhere where I face "rapes killings torture & wars", but if this sort of Artificial Intelligence becomes the applied tech, it will most likely pervade every facet of my daily life, as I am fortunate enough to live in the 1st world country which I do.
a reply to: Alda1981

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: agsz5
What you stated in your post is what we're doing. We're using AI for practical purposes, not to recreate humans. I'd categorize most of the research into pattern-recognition algorithms as AI-related, and those play a large role in hte economy already. For example, mail rooms already use software to examine the illegible writing on mail and a operator (human) employs it to make hte final decision. There're numerous other fields where this sofware is used. And then there're fields where actual robots are used. They've been using robots in manufacturing for more than 30 years. I worked at a place locally where robots now routinely move things around 24/7.

A lot of hte research into making robots "emotional" has to do with human-robot interaction. In order for us to interact with them and to increase our comfort they want to ensure robots mimic some emotion. If they fail to do this, interactions between humans and robots might falter. Keep in mind this emotion will be illusion and simple - sort of like a one size fits all answer. They'll probably also make the robots look like us, but not too much like us - stay away from the uncanny valley. The most important thing in all this is to create positive working environments.

I think you're appealing to your fears and being misled by them.

I do not fear it anymore than I already fear people. Give a guy a gun and he might used it wrongly. Give him a bomb and he may use it wrongly. Give him AI: same thing. As long as we acquire these things with our own wings, I'm not too concerned about it, though. We tend to progress at a pace we're capable of surviving. I anticipate problems and struggles as we attempt to use all these technologies responsibly. I'd be a lot more worried if ET landed and gave us technology that we didn't earn on our own. Would you trust a child with a gun? A bomb? Keys to the car? We earn those things.

So ya buried in all that is a faith I have that if we earn progress then we're more likely to survive. Having it handed to us is another matter.
edit on 13-6-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   

And due to the nature of organic tissue, we will run out of flesh long before we run out of nanites to protect it. Which leaves us with nanite bodies and a "brain case", or whatever vessel holds your consciousness.

You misunderstand...

The purpose of the the nanites will be to maintain the organic tissue at peak health and efficiency....

Korg.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: nixie_nox

The name of the episode is "Inheritance".

Anyway, this thread reminds of of the tagline for the first Ghost In The Shell Movie, which was, "People Love Machines in 2029 A.D."

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Pretty scary thought to be stuck as a ghost in a shell unable to be turned off or die but at the same time not wanting to be turned off or die. I can imagine Nano-tech going much further than AI tech, most people will be drawn to the idea of retrieving any knowledge at any time or the concept of "unlimited memory". But, really we are already there, we can pull up any info you want right now, what is really the difference between this and pulling it up through a VR in you're mind. The health benefits alone are enormous but all I really want is a pair of nano shoes so I can jump 20 feet high.

AI though, it will come and I would say it will go. We will realize that we don't need some weird thing walking around talking and trying to act like us. Simulations and nano tech will be the future. I would say a bigger concern is us creating a mini simulated intelligent universe and the universe advancing at incredible pace until our hacks our own world and us.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join