It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit's horrifying collapse accelerating beyond belief

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ArchPlayer

Sorry, General Motors did not move to Auburn Hills in the 70s either.

(post by Peekingsquatch removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: toothpastert

Stealing copper wire is big in Detroit.
From houses, public light poles, your A/C outside the house.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Then you have Les Gold right in the middle of it with a flourishing pawn shop---with illuminati AND satanic symbolism galore!!!! I feel for the people who were making good money then lose it all. That's a long way to fall. I know because I fell like that once. It's rough. I think the only hope for all of America is to make all the stuff that we use instead of getting it from China and other countries. It would create so many jobs and shock the economy and people would be able to live again instead of being poor slaves to the system like we are now. I also lay blame on the greedy wall street speculators who keep inflation high. We cannot go on like this.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Matt1951
You lived in the Nasty Nati probably in the last good era they had. I took a gig down there in 2011; lasted all of 2 weeks. It was too much like being in Escape from NY meets Mad Max.

Indianapolis these days is a #storm of nothing. The city has fell to rot; outside of the downtown area, Nap town is very dilapidated.

Michigan has a lot of cities/towns in dire straits. Benton Harbor is still having RACE RIOTS. Outside of Ann Arbor, Michigan is just not a state that screams divestment. The climate coming off that lake is not moderate, its colder than a witch's tit most winters there, especially the closer you on the Great Lakes. The only positive it has is being literally a stone's throw to Winchester (but winchester isn't the greatest these days either). I can't see the state coming back to being a financial powerhouse, unless it becomes a military barracks type state, that houses all the barracks of the branches. And even thinking about that is ridiculous, lol.

The governments of the past contributed to this and now the midwest is finally collapsing. When Chicago finally falls to its knees (another city that has no industry) we will all see what the grand plan was.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArchPlayer
a reply to: bbracken677
Chicago has crashed and burned. 96% unemployment, over 300 shooting a day, and over 25 deaths a day, some not reported if they are in "white" neighborhoods. The unions ran all the stores out, and Daley's bull# ran all the trade shows out.

Huh? 96% unemployment? 300 shootings a day? 25 deaths a day? Not even remotely accurate, even if you combined all the worst neighborhoods in Chicago together it's not nearly THAT bad. Let's not just make up silly numbers to make a point, mmmkay?

But you ARE right about the death grip the unions have in this town and ex-Mayor Daley destroying the trade show business by bowing to the Teamsters and union pressure. But Chicago will never go the route Detroit has gone, as there is a far more diverse economy in Chicago. The one party rule in Chicago will do it's best to destroy the city, but it will survive due to it's broad economic base.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
And a civilized society does the opposite of Detroit:

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArchPlayerIndianapolis these days is a #storm of nothing. The city has fell to rot; outside of the downtown area, Nap town is very dilapidated.

The middle and upper class just move further and further out, while everything inbetween turns into gangland. Eventually I guess the space inbetween will just become a massive landfill, or maybe they could bulldoze it all and create a park. The attempts to fix up portions of the city are commendable but only a sucker really believes you aren't going to get mugged moving in over there.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: pavil

#2 The Death of manufacturing in America, took with it a good chunk of the quality of life that "Middle America" had. Gone, not ever coming back.

I disagree, what comes around goes around. Manufacturing will shift to South America as China becomes too expensive. If we make South America too expensive then it will come home once again. It can be done...

Maybe.....but not for a generation or two. Even then I seriously doubt we will be wage competitive with a third world economic pay scale.

What do we do for the next 50 to 70 years waiting for wage parity with the rest of the world? We can't get people to work for minimum wage now, what makes you think that will change?

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: toothpastert

Stealing copper wire is big in Detroit.
From houses, public light poles, your A/C outside the house.

Yeah..... you'd be shocked. Some streets even have had manhole covers taken, it's crazy.

They take the copper out of street lights, they will rip the aluminum siding, wiring, plumbing and any other metals out of a house to scrap the copper. By the time they are done stripping a house, it literally looks like a shanty town house, No electrical, no heating or cooling, No plumbing or running water.

One of my clients rental property that was vacant for TWO months only, had EVERYTHING ripped out of it, Wiring, Plumbing and even the old school radiators and parts of the boiler/furnace. The house was pretty much a total loss, the cost to repair all the damage and replace everything wasn't anywhere close to being economically feasible. Insurance didn't even come close to covering that kind of destruction of a house.

Add one more house to the tally that needs to be tore down. The kicker was, it was in a nicer neighborhood and was the upper flat of a rented out bottom property. Neighbors HAD to have seen it going on and did nothing........That's another part of the story. Neighbors just don't watch out for each other anymore. Now they have a shell of a house sitting right next to them waiting to be torched down.
edit on 7-6-2014 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Gee, I wonder why Detroit is so #ed up?

~$heopleNation

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
It seems so strange that everyone is fighting the decay instead of letting it take it's course. Why save Detroit, seriously? What is the point? Some emotional attachment to a plot of land? That can't be, because people left already. It's time to let go, nothing lasts forever. Whatever made Detroit a great place has gone a long, long time ago.

Let it fall into the Earth, within a few decades some beauty might start to return. The "save detroit" attitude so many seem to have is very similar to a spouse who sleeps with her dead husband after he passed. It's sick, it's disgusting, and it won't get any better until you _let_it_go

It's obvious nobody will do the right thing to allow detroit to recover, so the best thing to do is let it die. This limbo it's been in for quite awhile isn't helping anybody or anything.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ArchPlayer

Yeah...you can blame the govt, they had their part, but you must, absolutely must give credit where credit is due: Consumers.

Consumers demanded the cheaper products from Asia.

Asia had no OSHA, virtually no taxes, no regulation, cheap labor, no EPA ad infinitum... Add to that the consumer's demands for cheaper products (and I do mean cheaper in all that entails) and you get jobs and technology moving to Asia. First Japan, toss in South Korea, then add Thailand, Vietnam and China (not to mention Mexico) and you have millions of jobs, tons of production and billions, no Trillions of dollars leaving the US ... This is how a country gets poor. It is a testament to the shear strength of our economy, as it was, that we have managed to maintain standards of living as long as we have.

The time to pay the piper has come. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone....otherwise just stfu. I doubt there is a single person in the US that has not played a part in this exodus of jobs.

So by all means, let's either blame the "evil corporation" or govt... but never, ever point the finger back at ourselves. In addition to voting at the store, we also voted in the idiots that have contributed to this clusterfunck and refused to even discuss it in realistic terms. I have noticed the absolute absence of serious and true discussion about the real issues plaguing our economy within politics.

Our leaders do not even want to have a truthful discussion about our economy. Instead they will mouth platitudes and tell people the stupidest things to gain votes (Like Obama telling his constituents in a speech made in Michigan during his first race that he will "tax those companies moving jobs overseas". How ignorant a statement is that and who is stupid enough to believe it would help????

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
As someone that used to live pretty close to the city, all I can say is that the collapse in Detroit has been a long time coming, and yes, it is still collapsing at a rapid pace.

Here's where my problem is - the reason it appears to be collapsing is because downtown seems to be getting better. I've noticed an increased police presence on most of my trips, and at least in daylight, I have never had a problem.

Now, if you want to see the effects of the collapse, I dare some of you to go driving down Gratiot Ave & 8 Mile when it starts to get dark. It's common practice for people to completely ignore lights at that district; you stop, and you increase the chances that something bad will happen.

I could tell that Detroit was getting worse because the quality of the people where I was living at the time was getting worse each year - It got so bad at one point that you would wake up, and pray your car wasn't the one that had tires slashed, broken into, or spray-painted.

Out where I live now, that phenomenon was known as "The Blight", and every now & then I still hear people in my area, 30 miles from Detroit, talking as if it's heading this way. Right now, it's moving rather slow to my area, but what will accelerate it is that new rail project they want to run up to Royal Oak; if that's completed, there goes the neighborhood.

-fossilera

PS: It doesn't matter how nice the houses are; if it's not safe to live there, then the house is going to rot away.
edit on 7/6/2014 by fossilera because:

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: fossilera

-fossilera

PS: It doesn't matter how nice the houses are; if it's not safe to live there, then the house is going to rot away.

I agree to a certain extent, but things are changing fast from downtown outward. The garbage that is current'y living in Detroit will need to get with the program real fast, because they will not be able to afford property very soon in Detroit.

There is a new Government in town, they mean business and are cleaning house....literally.

And here is why.

I live here and see something much different, and so do multiple billionaires world wide.

My current thread back what I am speaking about.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 7-6-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Detroit will rise again, once we start upgrading the electrical infrastructure of the U.S. and start putting in hyperloops everywhere, then people from other states could afford to buy the cheap housing the Detroit. Also, if they are on the ball, they could be the leaders in hyperloop passenger car construction for the entire U.S.

All this stuff is only temporary.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth

I agree to a certain extent, but things are changing fast from downtown outward. The garbage that is current'y living in Detroit will need to get with the program real fast, because they will not be able to afford property very soon in Detroit.

There is a new Government in town, they mean business and are cleaning house....literally.

And here is why.

I live here and see something much different, and so do multiple billionaires world wide.

My current thread back what I am speaking about.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Problem is that they won't get with it, which is why the garbage is spilling out of the D', and into the surrounding neighborhoods & cities. Hazel Park, Oak Park, Roseville, even Clinton Twp used to be better, but when you set higher standards in the epicenter of the collapse, the suburbs get hit the worst.

And in fairness, I don't hate the city any more than I do Flint or Pontiac; it's the outskirts around the cities that I do (What good is rebuilding Detroit if you need an armored tank to get to the safe parts?). Still won't forget the time we got lost; thankfully no red lights.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: deloprator20000

Really? So what are you going to do with all the gangs and junkies that rule the jungle over there while the same corrupt and incompetent assholes supposedly make everything ok down the road?

Once again, Here we have the nah don't worry about it, everything will work itself out down the road, argument that is slowly strangling The United States of America, and has been doing so since the degenerate 1960's. It's a mindset that is absolutely clueless.

...........shakes head. ~$heopleNation

edit on 7-6-2014 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Still think this is this is the best thing Detroit can have going for itself:

Detroit to be hit by flesh and brain-eating zombie apocalypse

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

What about Eminem? Thats something else they had....but then I guess that went to sh!t too..so never mind...

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join