It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit's Mid-Town Made the Top Ten Up and Coming Cities in the USA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I will post the link and story below my comments.

The ignorance that is being spewed about Detroit is further from the truth than most people know, unless you live here, do business and truly know what is transpiring I would ask people not to post here-say propaganda articles. Sure there are some bad areas and deterioration, but somethings you may not know about the Detroit are may surprise you.

I live here in the Detroit area, invest, and have been for 30 plus years.

Currently, I can't even touch commercial real estate downtown, and private groups with billions are buying everything they can get their hands on. Yes including vacant and half demo'd properties in the surrounding neighborhoods.

Run Run Run people! so the man will buy prime re-estate for cents on the dollars. lmao!

Does anyone here know why major cities were built were they were first? Answer: because it was premium dirt or farm land. And most of it is still prime land, with exception of the industrial areas.

Detroit is directly across the river from Canada, we are centrally located in the middle of the most major cities in North America, and we have a highly skilled workforce that has been compliments of the Auto industry. Detroit has started diversification more than 10 years ago, but not many took notice, Well maybe except for a handful of smart billionaires. lol

Also with increased tax revenue it means a bigger police force, better schools, fire department, and more, so mark my words Detroit is slowly making it's way back.

Detroit be it downtown, and or suburbs is getting bought up by investors from around the world, make no mistake. Even one from right here in Detroit named Dan Gilbert.

Billionaire Dan Gilbert Steadily Buying Up Detroit Buildings

There is still crappy areas, but that is coming to a quick stop investors have been quietly buying up chucks of neighborhoods for future investments, and working with the new government in the city of Detroit, which is now not corrupt, but very well run.

So while the masses are still telling tales about Doom and Gloom the wealthy are getting richer and richer, because they don't dwell on the negative and see something not only profitable, but a great area to invest for long term sustainable growth.

Give Detroit ten years and see what happens to it.

In fact, Detroit made the top ten list of up and coming cities.

Enjoy the read!

www.usatoday.com...

edit on 7-6-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

Im in West Dearborn. Thank you for the support. Where we all must agree the devastation published and reported is true in the sense of being basically accurate, it is no way the whole picture as you've stood up for presented here.

We've a long way to go...but remarkable developments are occurring everyday. Though Im saddened myself about this town and do not live in the city-proper any longer...I will stand up for all the diverse good things, events downtown happenings and new developments everywhere.

Thank you......MS

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Agreed a long way to go, but going downtown these days you can feel the change in the air for sure.

I have been following some 3rd party corporations formed by people like Mike and Marian Ilitch (Little Caesars billionares ) that have been buying up property downtown for 30 years now. Not a bad thing mind you, but on the down low.

And what we have today is/was there dream to renovated the city to thriving area again.

Also there are foreign people many from the UK, China, and Australia buying up commercial and residential properties in the surrounding areas of Detroit, like you wouldn't believe.

A close friend of mind just sold a package deal of 3 strip malls and 2 large commercial buildings in the city of Detroit for 2.5 million to a Chinese investor, in cash no loan. I saw the return on investment for 10, 20 and 20 years for rent, their investments will be paid off in 4 years.

There may be devastation, and deterioration, but it's not stopping investors.

The Day's of the Coleman Young tyrants are long gone, and a new breed of investors and people that want the city to succeed are voting with their wallets.
edit on 7-6-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Well said. Thank you sir for your belief and investments in the restructuring and developments of a city once great: so it can be once again. It needs a lot more of you guys!

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Well said. Thank you sir for your belief and investments in the restructuring and developments of a city once great: so it can be once again. It needs a lot more of you guys!

People need to believe in themselves, we just see it a bit before it happens.

The USA is a great melting pot, Detroit is no exception, and as long as we have people from all walks of life still believing and investing, then we'll be OK.

And the current tread is looking very good, with a few bumps in the roads.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
As much as I hate the cancer of Detroit, I have seen some programs talking about the downtown investment and about the hope for a new Detroit that rises from the ashes like a phoenix, but there is another side of that story know as gentrification.

dictionary.reference.com...

gen·tri·fi·ca·tion [jen-truh-fi-key-shuhn] Show IPA noun 1. the buying and renovation of houses and stores in deteriorated urban neighborhoods by upper- or middle-income families or individuals, thus improving property values but often displacing low-income families and small businesses.

I'd actually like to see a Detroit reborn, but it will never be Motown again.

edit on 8-6-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: added last comment

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
By stating that "if you don't live here don't post" line you've effectively limited this thread discussion. That is all.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ldyserenity
By stating that "if you don't live here don't post" line you've effectively limited this thread discussion. That is all.

Ok your point is taken, but if someone doesn't live in the Detroit area how are they going to make an objective opinion about Detroit's rising, out of the ashes?

I have seen to many threads from people that have never set foot in Detroit bashing the city, and talking about the doom and gloom that occurs in Detroit.

Anyone can post in this thread if they like, but it really helps if they understand want is actually transpiring these days.

It's time that people start pointing out the good stuff that is going on.

Peace,

RT

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth

Ok your point is taken, but if someone doesn't live in the Detroit area how are they going to make an objective opinion about Detroit's rising, out of the ashes?

I have seen to many threads from people that have never set foot in Detroit bashing the city, and talking about the doom and gloom that occurs in Detroit.

Anyone can post in this thread if they like, but it really helps if they understand want is actually transpiring these days.

It's time that people start pointing out the good stuff that is going on.

Peace,

RT

we can make an informed decision based on facts presented....good to hear there is hope fro detroit...the only thing i can see that is not good is from what you are saying the city will be foreign owned via investors from overseas....its a shame its not being invested by local money

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
...its a shame its not being invested by local money

The majority actually is local money, but at this point Detroit will take all the investors it can get.

Also there are many young couples moving into Mid-town for the social environment and this is the start of the rebirth of Detroit because the young couples are staying permanently.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

There is definitely hope for Detroit. I'm only 29 but Midtown looks the best I've ever seen it, its making a major comeback. There is a lot of youthful energy being injected into a number of areas around town i.e. Midtown, Corktown, even Southwest Detroit as these areas seem to be en vogue with the "hipster" set.

My observations as a northern suburbanite. Glad to see it, and on a personal note can't freaking wait for the new hockey arena/entertainment complex. My heart belongs to the Joe, such an aura of success around that building but the old girl has more than a few saggy spots and wrinkles. I felt even more strongly about what was on the corner of Michigan and Trumbull but got over it and Comerica is a beautiful park.

edit on 9-6-2014 by Kgdetroit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Kgdetroit

The energy is picking up for sure.

I had a friend of mine that went to Wayne State around 1990, she couldn't find a place to live to she bought an old house down there to fix up for about 10k. She rented rooms out to college students, and not only paid it off the first year but made good money, so she start to buy more of them.

She now owns 42 houses in the campus area, some of the homes are now worth $500,000.00 plus dollars. She even bought a commercial building as a coffee house and sold it 10 years later for a profit of $1.5 million.

Guess what her degree was in?

Fine Arts.

edit on 9-6-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I hardly think it good that billionaires and millionaires are investing in Detroit, I hardly think it will benefit anyone but them, honestly. We already know how corrupt and greedy they are. So as much as Detroit will "look appealing" it's just going to be another malignant tumor of the cancer that is killing our nation. See ATS posts about corporatism.
edit on 2014/6/9 by ldyserenity because: unclear phrasing:fixed

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Benton Harbor is like a little Detroit destroyed from within by corruption and then it cannibalized itself till nearly nothing was left of value. The scrappers finish off buildings faster than any form of destruction thats why I say it was cannibalized.

Benton Harbor was bought up by the wealthy with a vision and now 1/2 a billion dollars are being poured in the clean up and out the mess that was left behind.

I moved a month ago and Flint Michigan 20 years ago. Just another city killed off by Democrats. The list goes on and on

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth
a reply to: Kgdetroit

The energy is picking up for sure.

I had a friend of mine that went to Wayne State around 1990, she couldn't find a place to live to she bought an old house down there to fix up for about 10k. She rented rooms out to college students, and not only paid it off the first year but made good money, so she start to buy more of them.

She now owns 42 houses in the campus area, some of the homes are now worth $500,000.00 plus dollars. She even bought a commercial building as a coffee house and sold it 10 years later for a profit of $1.5 million.

Guess what her degree was in?

Fine Arts.

I went to WSU at that time and was in the fine arts dept, I probably knew her or knew of her. I did like hanging with the art's students and area artists. We all spoke of the gentrification of the Cass Corridor area and as I remember, there wasn't anyone in the art building that was happy about it. I did rent a storefront in an area on the East Side at that time. That area started to develop about a year after my venture went bust.

Anyhow, now that I live in a swamp, my life has improved while my old neighborhood decayed.

Detroit, the King of Cars is dead. Long live the King.

edit on 9-6-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: for clarity

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

It wasn't killed off by dems, the left/ right paradigm is BS. IT was killed by corruption no doubt, but both are corrupt and greedy. But, most of all, corporatism. See CORPORATISM in the dictionary and you will find the political parties have nary a thing to do with it. Both sides have been bought and paid for by the elites running corporations.
edit on 2014/6/9 by ldyserenity because: auto correct bs

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I hardly think it good that billionaires and millionaires are investing in Detroit, I hardly think it will benefit anyone but them, honestly. We already know how corrupt and greedy they are. So as much as Detroit will "look appealing" it's just going to be another malignant tumor of the cancer that is killing our nation. See ATS posts about corporatism.

Detroit couldn't get any more corrupt than it has been for the past 40 years, but I am not going to get into that story because many are in prison now, with life sentences. Justice was served on a platter in Detroit and they are still indicting people after 8 years.

It takes money to fix a completely broken area and people that care, so that coupled with wealthy investors Detroit will turn around slowly.

If the billionaires didn't believe in our area, then Detroit would continue as the most corrupt, and broken city in the USA.

Detroit is coming back with people from all walks of life moving into certain areas, and revitalizing them.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

The wealthy don't give a damn about that city, just see it as cheap land with lots of cheap labor they can exploit, for those who aren't forced to leave because now that the land is an "investment ' can't afford to live there anymore. Make no mistake here the wealthy give a damn about 1 thing, and it's not Detroit or people, they care only about maximum profit with minimal cost/effort.Period. It's all the better if they can get it all with causing maximum misery just for kicks.

new topics

top topics

join