It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scottish independence: Barack Obama backs 'strong and united' UK

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: scotland48

Why shouldn't she donate to whoever she wants?

Didn't hear anyone complaining when the couple who won the Euromillions donated a further £2.5million a year after donating £1million to the Yes campaign.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I agree JK should be able to express opinion and donate to anyone she wants

Some of the comments on here are crazy - Braveheart (Fiction) Scots Hating the English (Fiction)

I am a YES Voter

I want to vote for Independence for a few simple reasons

I want the government Scotland votes for to make all the decisions on Scotland as I believe that they have Scotland's best interests at heart

I want rid of Nuclear weapons that are situated just over a mile from where I'm sit now

I want to ensure our NHS isn't privatized like England's

I want to ensure that every child gets FREE Education & Every person gets FREE Healthcare Free Child Care

I want Scotland's Oil Wealth invested in an Oil fund as well as in Scotland , Norway for example have a huge investment fund worth £500 BILLION that has been saved from a % of all oil revenues

There is estimated to be a similar amount of Oil remaining as has already been extracted as well as an undeveloped Oil field at the entrance to the Clyde that has been blocked by the MOD due to Nuclear sub operations
Did MoD block oil boom in the Firth of Clyde?

No more Tory Austerity , Punishing the poorest for the bankers and big wigs mistakes

I hope after a YES vote that Scotland and the remaining UK build a good relationship/friendship , The current set up in Wasteminster shows the political ideology differences in Scotland and England and both countries should not have to continually compromise to keep each other happy ..

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: scotland48

Why shouldn't she donate to whoever she wants?

Didn't hear anyone complaining when the couple who won the Euromillions donated a further £2.5million a year after donating £1million to the Yes campaign.

You just havn't visited the same forums as me...trust me. the Nawbags were livid that the Weirs, a Scottish couple, donated their money to the Yes Campaign..
JK Rowling = English...see the difference here.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Most of Better Together's money has come from England , There isnt a Grass Roots campaign for NO up here currently . I think some of the annoyance comes from the fact the referendum has come about of frustration that Scotland being ruled by Westminster badly and now its all Westminster/London money being used to try fight the YES movement

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I wonder what she will get in the New Years Honours list....My bet is on Dame JK Rowling.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Something for all our American friends and the NO Voters who jumped on the Obama bandwagon when he commented recently

Obama represents a country who fought a war AGAINST Britain to secure its own INDEPENDENCE and Im sure many of you celebrate it every 4th July
So for President Obama to advise another country to reject its own independence that is being voted on without the need for violence or warfare is utter hypocrisy

Obama is only interested in Trident Nuclear missiles that are kept just over a mile from my flat

Id be very interested to hear all your opinions on this ?
edit on 11-6-2014 by ScottG30 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

You just havn't visited the same forums as me...trust me. the Nawbags were livid that the Weirs, a Scottish couple, donated their money to the Yes Campaign..

I can imagine - just haven't seen it myself.

JK Rowling = English...see the difference here.

What?
So, as a resident of Edinburgh and fully entitled to vote in accordance with the restrictions Salmond put in place she shouldn't be entitled to donate HER money to whatever cause she see's fit simply because she's English?
Is that what you are saying?

It's ok because the Weir's are Scottish but not ok for Rowland because she is English even though both are residents of Scotland?

Or is it because the Weir's are donating to the Yes campaign and Rowland to the No campaign?

ETA

I wonder what she will get in the New Years Honours list....My bet is on Dame JK Rowling.

Maybe so....but I expect it'll be due to her literary skills rather than her political donations.....but then again?

Oh, see you still haven't replied to the numerous questions directed towards you earlier in the tread.

edit on 11/6/14 by Freeborn because: Add ETA

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Indeed. However, when I hear anyone's name mentioned along with Gordon Brown's, I immediately think of guilty by association!

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I believe the Majority of YES supporters will agree that JK has every right to express her opinion and donate

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

originally posted by: openminded2011
a reply to: crazyewok

As a descendant of Scots I can only say...........

Yes, And Many great Scots have Died in the pursuit of...OUR FREEDOM.
Another reason why Yes is the only way to go..
Alien Act 1705

Ah yes. The epic failure of a film called " Braveheart". Produced, directed and starring the racist wife beating Mr Mel Gibson.

A small quote from the attached article:-

"The events aren't accurate, the dates aren't accurate, the characters aren't accurate, the names aren't accurate, the clothes aren't accurate—in short, just about nothing is accurate "

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

originally posted by: openminded2011
a reply to: crazyewok

As a descendant of Scots I can only say...........

Yes, And Many great Scots have Died in the pursuit of...OUR FREEDOM.
Another reason why Yes is the only way to go..
Alien Act 1705

Ah yes. The epic failure of a film called " Braveheart". Produced, directed and starring the racist wife beating Mr Mel Gibson.

A small quote from the attached article:-

"The events aren't accurate, the dates aren't accurate, the characters aren't accurate, the names aren't accurate, the clothes aren't accurate—in short, just about nothing is accurate "

en.wikipedia.org...

Who the F~~~ mentioned Braveheart..???

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong
We've 'been there, done that,' on the Braveheart thing a few pages back...."Do keep up dear"...said in best Maggie Smith/Downton Abbey voice.....

Not being sarcastic.....just keeping the mood light.

Rainbows
Jane

edit on 11-6-2014 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Oh, see you still haven't replied to the numerous questions directed towards you earlier in the tread.

Maybe the questions are not worthy of answers....

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

"Should we be grabbing whatever we have left while we still got the chance....YES"

I wholeheartedly agree with your there, however even if we do become independent that does not mean we will be allowed or able to drill in the disputed areas any more than if we are still part of the union, its not just Scotland that's laid claim to the place.

Don't get me wrong, provisionally I feel a YES vote could be a good thing provided its financially and socioeconomically viable which is the crux of the problem I imagine for most.

edit on 11-6-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

"Should we be grabbing whatever we have left while we still got the chance....YES"

I wholeheartedly agree with your there, however even if we do become independent that does not mean we will be allowed or able to drill in the disputed areas any more than if we are still part of the union, its not just Scotland that's laid claim to the place.

Don't get me wrong, provisionally I feel a YES vote could be a good thing provided its financially and socioeconomically viable which is the crux of the problem I imagine for most.

you know, the world is at war and has been for hundreds of years over resources....just wait until the Oil and Gas does eventually start to run out...TSWHTF Big time and i believe we will see it in our lifetime. wind and wave power wont supply the elastic needed for our Kecks to remain above the waistline ...once our Kecks are at our ankles, just bend over, because it's game over....watch for this sign.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Hopefully technologies such as nuclear fusion, wave and wind turbine, even solar power will have become viable by then regarding our power requirements. As to the Kecks remaining above the waistline we can always grow more rubber I imagine, all through not in our climate short of a pole shift.

And those signs of impending doom that you mention have also been around for nearly as long as we have been at war with one another. We are always on the verge of destruction simply because humanity works best under pressure. TPTB are rather well versed with the notion, it's a stick and carrot construct.

Granted it seems to be more stick than carrot right now!

edit on 11-6-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Sean Connery already has his honour so don't fret about J K R.

Mr Connery, needed England to make his name and fortune. Lives outside the U.K. so pays no tax in the U.K. Supports the Yes campaign.

www.heraldscotland.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Fareweel to a' our Scottish fame,
Fareweel our ancient glory;
Fareweel ev'n to the Scottish name,
Sae fam'd in martial story.
Now Sark rins over Solway sands,
An' Tweed rins to the ocean,
To mark where England's province stands-
Such a parcel of rogues in a nation!

What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.
The English stell we could disdain,
Secure in valour's station;
But English gold has been our bane-

O would, or I had seen the day
That Treason thus could sell us,
My auld grey head had lien in clay,
Wi' Bruce and loyal Wallace!
But pith and power, till my last hour,
I'll mak this declaration;
We're bought and sold for English gold-

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
An article from The New Statesman on JK defending/explaining her donation to the "Better Together" campaign:
www.newstatesman.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: scotland48
An article from The New Statesman on JK defending/explaining her donation to the "Better Together" campaign:
www.newstatesman.com...

"In a statement issued on her website, the Harry Potter creator expressed concern that an independent Scotland would not withstand the pressures of a globalised world".
From unemployed mum living on benefits to Author of children's literature to economic expert.... JK for leader of the World.

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22 >>

join