It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mayan way to multiply and solving math...

page: 1

join
share:
kix

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I just saw this and it blew my mind, because it so easy and solves multiplication and some algebraic equations... I don't know if someone posted this before but it blew my mind, specially when considering that Mayans have some carvings with dots and crossing lines.... It makes me wonder how little we know about ancient Scientific progress...

enjoy...

kix

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
www.youtube.com... I don't know why the embedding did not work here is the link

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Wow, that is just MIND blowing! That's easier than any times tables or other quick-math method I've learned, and I went to college for Mathematics. It makes me wonder, what other secrets did they know of that we are yet to discover?

Thank you for bringing this here Kix, SnF for an awesome find!

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I thought that was the Japanese way, are you sure it's mayan?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
That video can't be embedded right now due to a limitation in the embedding tag. It doesn't know how to read underscore or dashes to my knowledge, I posted a link to the mods in another forum to let them know.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
For some reason this method seemed so natural to me, and then it hit me. The lines are simply placeholders for each of the digit columns (100's, 10's, 1's etc) I dont see that it is really any faster, easier, or anything than traditional ways, just different. I think I'll stick to my old method, looking at the problem and the answer somehow magically appears in my head...that is when i used to care to do math.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I have always been horrible at math. Count on my fingers horrible and even then I can screw it up. This adds yet another weapon in my personal arsenal. Thanks Op for sharing this. Time to go practice.

kix

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I solved the examples in the video just in my head, granted I am good at math and specially multiplying, but I think this system is very simple, if the proverbial dung hits the fan and you need a quick and dirty way of multiplying in the sand (for example), nothing beats this way.... I found it astoundingly simple....

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I keep getting an error when I try and play the video

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

ETA: Embedded for anyone who needs it.

BTW, there's no code problem with the underscores. ONLY enter what's after the "v=" from the URL.
edit on 4-6-2014 by DenyObfuscation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: kix

Replying so I can watch later. Thanks, S&F.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
WOW I wish i knew this in high school . thanks for posting .

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elton
I thought that was the Japanese way, are you sure it's mayan?

What would make you think that?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Math 111, Mathematics with applications is a college course and is very difficult includes teaching math in other bases then hindu arabic which involves Mayan math. would I be infringing copyrights to add pics of the text book pages containing the info purtanent if sourced correctly??? If not I will, I did pay over $300 for the damn book and actually refer to it quite often.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Hey brother I would be very interested in seeing something from your book.
I'm not sure on the correct way to source and copy it but if it falls with in t&c's I think you would be alright.

I remember seeing something before about Egyptian mathematics and it being abstractly simple, I'll see if I cant find the source or video by the morning.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The book covers Egyptian too

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Absolutely incredible.

This feels real. I will die believing the ancients 'viewed' the universe in the way it was intended. I also believe, the way things were done is necessary for understanding something else. Like a key....

Anyway. S&F.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Nice trick.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I solved the examples in the video just in my head

Yep, easy using what they call "new math", even though I've never known another way.

Example, 15x22

15x20= (15x2) = 30 + ending 0 = 300
15x2 = 30

300+30 = 330, all done in your head, faster than you could type it into a calculator.

Still, the video method is kind of neat though...but personally, I like the above method.
It's both funny and sad when I tend to freak people out doing this. I don't see it as being difficult, in fact, just the opposite, makes it easy, but oh well.......
edit on 13-6-2014 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

top topics

join