It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consuming fats do NOT make you fat, Saturated fats are good for you

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Just wanted to bring to attention this dis information that I keep hearing from everyone. Fats are GOOD for you.

So let's not kid ourselves anymore about what's really making us fat. Sugar is the leading culprit today in causing inflammation. Here are some specific stats from an article printed in February 2014 in the Journal of the American Medical Association [JAMA], which are worth sharing: [2]

Sugar is connected to an increased risk of heart attack and dementia, as well as other inflammatory diseases, such as insulin resistance and Type 2 diabetes, obesity, liver problems, arthritis, reduction in beneficial HDL cholesterol, increase in triglycerides, and cancer.

Those with the highest sugar intake had a 400 percent higher risk of heart attack than those with the lowest intake of sugar. Note the current recommendation by the American Heart Association: One's daily intake of sugar should be only 5-7.5 percent of one's total caloric intake.

It takes only one 20-ounce soda to increase your risk of heart attack by 30 percent.

If you consume 20 percent of your calories from sugar, your risk of heart attack doubles.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

More facts about Saturated Fats-

1. The war against fat was started by one man
2. Reducing fat has caused us to eat more carbs, which is not good
3. That’s true even of supposedly “healthy” unrefined carbs
4. 4. Women have been particularly hurt by the demonization of fat
5. We shouldn’t be so quick to ban trans fats
6. We’ve been eating saturated fat for thousands of years

time.com...

A ‘mega’ study which analysed a huge amount of existing data also said so-called healthy polyunsaturated fats, such as sunflower oil, had no general effect on the risk of heart disease.

In contrast, a dairy fat called margaric acid ‘significantly reduced’ risk, while two kinds of saturated fat found in palm oil and animal products had only a ‘weak link’ with heart disease.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

After decades of bashing saturated fat, the medical community was stunned by a 2010 study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. In a research analysis, scientists discovered that there wasn't enough proof to link saturated fat to either heart disease or stroke. It wasn't the first time this fat had been vindicated: Four years earlier the Women's Health Initiative study found that eating less saturated fat didn't result in lower rates of heart disease or stroke. The 2010 analysis, however, was so big and so thorough -- involving 21 studies and nearly 350,000 people -- that it grabbed experts' attention. "Everyone had just assumed that the evidence against saturated fat was strong," says study author Ronald Krauss, MD, a professor of nutritional sciences at the University of California, Berkeley, who was surprised by the finding and the controversy it created. "We had to work hard to get our study published. There was an intrinsic mistrust of this kind of result."

Researchers say there were even earlier clues that saturated fat didn't deserve its reputation as top dietary villain. The decades-old "diet-heart hypothesis" -- the idea that saturated fat is bad for the heart -- was mostly based on animal studies and short-term trials that looked only at people's cholesterol levels, not at whether they actually had heart attacks. "Those studies are great for making hypotheses but not for making widespread recommendations," says Dariush Mozaffarian, MD, an associate professor of medicine and epidemiology at Harvard Medical School and a researcher of diet and heart health. "When we started getting evidence from longer trials and observations, we realized that the truth is more nuanced than we thought."

www.fitnessmagazine.com...

I have been eating mostly saturated fats for the last year. I put coconut oil in my smoothies. I cook with refined coconut oil and butter. I do not eat refined vegetable oils. My body fat has gone down 14% to 12%. I feel I have more energy. My libido is better. When do decide to buy that new reduced fat ice cream or syrup you are doing your self a disservice. In fact cholesterol is good for you and you should not be trying to reduce it (within reason especially with drugs)
www.zoeharcombe.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: an0nThinker

Yeah, I've been on a primarily Ketogenic diet for awhile now and feel great.

Saturated fat doesn't cause heart disease, excess carbohydrates do.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I am doing a low carb, no added sugar diet, so most of my dietary intake comes from fats and proteins. When I lost my gallbladder I had to go into a low fat diet, no a good thing as cutting fats and increasing carbs make me gain weight after two years without gallbladder.

I have never been obese, eat as natural as I can and avoided processed foods, always exercise, from weight lifting to cardio and more, but as we age our bodies change, specially women, now the only way to maintain my ideal weight is to stay away from sugar and simple carbs completely.

Is working.
edit on 3-6-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-6-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

Just so disheartening to see people buying fat free groceries. To make them taste better you get a lot more carbs. I wonder if those people know they are increasing their chance for heart disease, and making themselves fatter in the process.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

This has been discussed, in some considerable detail, In This Thread

I would certainly recommend reading it.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I don't know but I'm glad I switched. I'm around 30 and have quite a few mistake me for 21ish.

It's great for skin and weight loss that's for sure.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell
That is a part of the problem. Fats make cholesterol, big pharama doesn't make money if you don't buy its drugs. My topic is different because people think dietary fat will make them fat. They are 2 sides of the same issue. That is demonizing fats to make profits.

edit on 3-6-2014 by an0nThinker because: left blank

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
This thread is an excellent example of why I believe much of modern science and medicine is as much quackery as it was 500 years ago when alchemists tried to turn iron into gold and most health ailments were believed to be caused by "bad blood" and were treated through various forms of bleeding.

Just a quick glance at the past 50 years of science and medicine shows that the track record for actually getting things right isn't stellar. Thalidomide for morning sickness, lobotomies for lunatics, deadly cholesterol bombs known as eggs, the evils of fat, radiation as a medical panacea, antidepressants that create mass murderers, global cooling-global warming-er... climate change! this list can be very long if we wanted it to be...

Yet time and time again we have officials and individuals willing to give up everything over the opinion of these quacks. Science is supposedly governed by laws. It seems, however, that the most important law of mankind has been completely rejected by science... that being the law of common sense.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Fair enough.

Maybe you and others are experiencing weight loss, but what does a diet of this nature really do to you on the inside.

Saturated Fats Linked to Alzheimer's and that's just one issue.

Everything in moderation is still yet the best approach IMO.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Should make this clear. In moderation, saturated fats are good for you. If the animal is grown naturally without a lot of food chemistry that they aren't designed to eat and we have eaten this meat for a few generations, the fat is well tolerated. Now you can't be telling a person who's ancestors have never eaten pork that the pork fat is good for them. Same goes for lamb fat or beef fat. All food has chemistry that the body needs to get used to to be processed appropriately. Now there are a few exceptions.

Most of our ancestors here in the USA have had some coconut oil over the last three generations and the types of oils have been consumed within other types of saturated fats. It is usually well tolerated now, within reason. I suppose the refined would be better tolerated for some people.

The whole farce that saturated fats are bad for us was created by the ones trying to sell us new types of fats. Use crisco and margarine, manmade foods, they are better for us was just a sales scam. We might tolerate them a little better than before, but they still cause problems for a lot of people. All plant based oils are a newer addition to human diet if taken out of the food they came in. Our body creates enzymes and chemistry to properly utilize these things by triggers within the food itself. Start messing with them too much and our bodies will lock the stuff in fat cells since it does not know how to process it.

I could go on and on....but I got to go watch Bones....one of only about four TV shows I watch. I do like the news yet, I can rattle off specifics to the wife about the news as it is unfolding, reading about it here before it hits the news most time.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

If we would have known what we know now about sugar, we would consider it an addicting drug. I agree that saturated fats have been demonized. It's the sugar and carbs that make us fat and cause a lot of diseases. Ever wonder why people who have cancer crave sugar?

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Fats, in moderation, are essential.

Sugars, in moderation, are essential.

It is the processed and artificial versions of these things thats really the problem.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Interesting since I just did write something on this.

The "dieting" and weight-loss industry especially, in the US but also elsewhere is really a border-line scam, and customers don't even KNOW how they are mislead and scammed most of the time.

Example is a fat free yogurt sold that is called "light & fit", implying that it's healthy AND can help to lose weight. The package/marketing all implies this.
This "light & fit" yogurt contains a whopping 15g of SUGAR along with three types of cancer-causing sweeteners. (It's like saying that Pepsi/Coke helps you lose weight because it doesn't contain any fat).

That research for example found that whole-fat yogurt is much better, those "low fat" and "light" products often have added stuff like starches and sugar/GCS to make it taste better. The consumer of course only sees the nice packaging. The same absurdity with CANDY where especially in the US many companies print "a low fat food" on the package. Yeah, Twizzlers etc. are really "healthy" (sarcasm) "A LOW FAT FOOD", doesn't change the fact it's basically all sugar and basically crap and for sure won't you help you lose weight. It's really a wide-spread scam/consumer dumbing-down going on there.

edit on 6/3/2014 by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Propaganda is a powerful tool, every time that corporate America targets specific issues to improve profit margins we the consumer pay the price years later.

From the targeting of natural fats in order to sell manufactured ones, (people are dying more this days of hart related issues than before) targeting the natural sun in order to sell sun blocking lotions, ( people now are getting deficient on vitamin D so now is market for it), adding corn syrup to everything, (Obesity is now a problem), lowering the national standards on blood pressure and cholesterol, (so they can sell more statins and blood pressure pills), then antidepressants for the brain starvation that all the chemicals in processed food causes.

The list is just growing and growing the younger generation is under attack thanks to money making industries and everything is just peachy.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
Moderation is the key. This still doesn't change the fact that we have eaten fats for thousands of years (animal and plant). Low fat diets are harmful and cause inflammation. They mess with your hormone synthesis. A reasonable amount of fat is good for everyone.

Crisco and margarine are far worst than any natural fat. And saturated fats were demonized for this purpose.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots
Fats, in moderation, are essential.

Sugars, in moderation, are essential.

It is the processed and artificial versions of these things thats really the problem.

Don't disagree with the artificial comment, but I'd like to say CARBS are essential, sugars are not.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Pretty much. Fat doesn't make you fat. Calories make you fat. Calories in, and calories out. If you burn more calories than you consume, you will loose weight.

Saying fat makes you fat is like saying eating pickles will pickle my body.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
It's the sugar and carbs that make us fat and cause a lot of diseases.

This is only half the truth. It's not the sugars and carbs PER SE, it's when you don't burn off the calories that you get fat.
What comes FIRST is your life-style, lack of exercise...THEN what you eat and of course the combination of both. If people have "normal" amounts of exercise, aka not spending 99,9% of their day sitting...the occasional pop or candy or bread whatever won't make them fat. If you're already at a point where you need to be concerned that your morning cup of coffee cannot contain sugar "because it makes you fat", then there is a whole different underlying problem with your life-style that needs to be addressed first.

Sadly, the obsession in society seems first with "foods that contain fat" than actually looking at the REAL problem. Our bodies are built to deal with moderate amounts of fats, sugar etc...but they're not built to basically cease all exercise/moving. Calories need to be burned.
edit on 6/3/2014 by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
antidepressants for the brain starvation that all the chemicals in processed food causes.

Oh Marg, they don't even need a good excuse like that to throw fistfulls of antidepressants at people. Haven't you heard? Everyone now has some form of depression or disorder!

Playfull, active children are now ADHD, and there are pills for that!
I always thought it natural to not feel cheerful every single day... nope, it's depression, and there are pills for that!
Of course on those majority days when I felt happy all day... damned if it wasn't mania, and there are pills for that!

The quacks have essentially defined "being human" as being a disorder, created a pill for it, and PEOPLE ARE FREAKING DUMB ENOUGH TO BUY THEM AND TAKE THEM. That's what boggles my mind. How stupid are people who are eager to constantly find something wrong with them which can be "treated" by consumption of poisons? I swear humanity is so brainwashed that if some Doctor went on Oprah and said "Hey, this pill is made from compressed cat poop... take it once a day and you'll feel great!" we'd suddenly see Pfizor profits climb 20% as millions of Americans rushed to the pharmacy to buy cat crap in a pill.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Pretty much. Fat doesn't make you fat. Calories make you fat. Calories in, and calories out. If you burn more calories than you consume, you will loose weight.

Saying fat makes you fat is like saying eating pickles will pickle my body.

That is true within reason. However, not entirely. I am not going to list the whole chemistry here. Calories from sugar are stored as fat. Of course if you only get as much as you need, the point is moot. You might want to watch this video.
www.youtube.com...
edit on 3-6-2014 by an0nThinker because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join