It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consuming fats do NOT make you fat, Saturated fats are good for you

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   
So where does wheat, And flour Land in the health and wellness spectrum?

I'm currently under the impression that wheat and flour are best to be avoided, and one should stick to the ancient grains such as quinoa and amaranth.

I love me some quinoa!

My personal diet that changed my life goes as follows; Avoid commercial stuff as much as possible. low fat/diet=poison
GMO=poison! Artificial sweeteners=Poison! Mainstream anything? You guessed it, freakin poison my friends.

Fruits and veggies? Go crazy! Animal flesh and eggs? Great in moderation so long as the animals were grass fed and not pumped full of god knows what.........and you thank them......remember, personal diet and beliefs here.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I don't eat much in the way of carbs or fruits and veggies and to be perfectly honest, I feel fine and never get sick. At 46, I still teach dance and am built exactly like I was in my teens (just way wrinklier, haha)

I spent some time in Alaska, many years ago, and volunteered at a camp that taught native kids about their culture and after a summer of eating mostly salmon (including the weird bits), the odd handful of berries, and virtually no starch. I felt great and had a kind of eureka moment that my ancestors in Europe must have done much the same since the beginning of time so I permanently ditched the greenery and granola as I truly feel I don't need it. Before that I'd been a zero fat, lots of carbs type due to my dance career.

Perhaps a persons ancestry says something about their dietary needs and we shouldn't have a one size fits all approach.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK
Simpler carbs usually evoke a higher insulin response. If your glycogen stores are full. This will cause fat storage. Some claim gluten causes vitamin mal-absorption. Perhaps make a topic in the health section and people can contribute.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: an0nThinker

Indeed I will when I feel the inspiration to do so.

Thank you for the response, and S&F for creating an awesome thread on a subject that is very dear to my heart....

I do sincerely apologize if I was drifting your thread.........
edit on 4-6-2014 by GoShredAK because: Spelling error

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK
No need to apologize. Quinoa is awesome. I might get some tomorrow. You are on the right track with your diet.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   

I used to live that way, eating only in the evening. I ate mostly proteins, veggies, and foods with lots of fats. I could work fifteen hours a day only eating some nuts or a few high fat sausages for snacks. It helped control my hypoglycemia, but when I took meds for six years for my epilepsy, they damaged a part of my liver, calcifying it. That system still works somewhat but not nearly as good as it used to. My liver is doing better now, and I have to eat more proteins and less carbs or my hypoglycemia gives me a problem.

I'll figure how to get my system back someday, but it is a slow process which takes much research and testing and evaluating on myself.. I get sidetracked studying other problems I see people having, mostly being caused by medicines. There is some cognitive decline caused by burning ketones. I know that from experience. Health is better though, but the problem is that when you get older, you shouldn't be running around like a teenager, you are supposed to wisen up. I will have no problem building more muscle if I want to. I can raise testosterone levels a bit with the consumption of certain foods.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Fats are good for you (even the saturated) IF you do not combine it with too much carbs (max 50 a day) otherwise fats are still good for you but in very moderately doses. Do not avoid fats. It's OR a carb metabolism OR a fat one, do not combine too much of either.

Been eating low carb, high fat for some years now and never felt better, fitter, more muscle toned, leaner... once a week I allow a carb load but sport that sugar peak right off the body. Totally convinced the high level of disease, diabetes and even cancer is due to too much artificial carbs and processed foods packed with chems. Unprocessed biological foods, low carb, is the way to go. No bread, pasta, potatoes, fruit (fructosis is pure poison)...veggies, meat, eggs, cheese all the way! And don't forget the coconut butter/oil!

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I made this point in another thread, fat and high cholesterol is not caused by the over consumption of saturated fats but caused by inflammation of our bodies, due to highly acidic diets and high levels of toxicity.
Fat and high cholesterol are keeping you alive, they are buffering the toxicity and the acidic ph of our systems.

edit on 4-6-2014 by mclarenmp4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4
The biggest problem is sugars. They promote fat storage and inflammation. In small quantities and with fiber(fruits) they are fine.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: an0nThinker
You might want to watch this video.
www.youtube.com...
That was pretty good, though his "Everything bad can be blamed on Richard Nixon" was a little over the top, not that I'm a Nixon fan, it just seemed strange. But his message about not all calories being equal made sense.

He was pointing out the evils of sugar, but when he asked people what McDonald's items didn't have any sugar, he didn't seem to think they were too healthy with their fat and salt content. He didn't spend a lot of time talking about fat though, it was mostly about sugar.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I wholeheartedly agree with the OP. I spent all my life eating "low-fat" and processed fat substitutes. My body literally began to break down in my late 30's-degenerative disc disease, Facet Joint Disease, Arthritis and Fibromyalgia-and I absolutely couldn't lose the weight. I began doing research on food, diseases, GMOs, etc. and decided to take a different approach. I started with coconut oil and grassfed butter in my coffee and everything I cooked, and I realized I was getting full faster and it lessened the carb cravings.

I started losing weight immediately and had tons of energy. Because my carb cravings went down, I was able to eliminate wheat, then moved on to eliminating all processed foods. I also use olive oil and avocado oil generously. In two years my triglycerides have gone from 134 to 61, HDL from 50 to 61, and LDL from 189 to 140. I have also lost 50 lbs and will continue using these "good fats".

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: mystic0608
Good for you mystic. About 30% of my calories are from fats. My bloods are perfect. For a small while I started eating fat free, only time I've gained a little weight. Good luck with your health.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur
That video is a little biased. The science behind it is solid however. The excess salt in most fast food is designed for you to consume soda. Also fast food is poor in micro nutrients.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   
My own opinion is that moderation in diet is good and that too much of any one thing can sometimes be bad, so I'm not really all that concerned about this controversy as the outcome doesn't really affect my diet, but apparently there's a similar paper that is somewhat controversial which had some errors in it, and overlooked some studies that others felt were important (it was a meta-analysis):

Scientists Fix Errors in Controversial Paper About Saturated Fats

Here's a link to the paper which is so controversial:
Association of Dietary, Circulating, and Supplement Fatty Acids With Coronary Risk: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis

Conclusion: Current evidence does not clearly support cardiovascular guidelines that encourage high consumption of polyunsaturated fatty acids and low consumption of total saturated fats.
Some people seem to be upset with this conclusion and are calling for the paper to be retracted:

Willett says correcting the paper isn't enough. "It is good that they fixed it for the record, but it has caused massive confusion and the public hasn't heard about the correction." The paper should be withdrawn, he argues.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   
O.k.....

I discovered the real reason people put on weight.....

It's all to do with massive overload and sustained intake of sugar.

Basically what happens is your body becomes apathetic to sugar, in effect your body becomes resistant to insulin. Insulin regulates how Carbohydrate is managed in the body, whether it is burned off as energy or stored as fat for later use.

If your diet is full of sugar over time your body has a hard time converting ANY form of carbohydrate.

So how do you deal with this?

The best way is to re-train your body by a sustained diet of little to no sugar and carbohydrate reduction. This will reduce your bodies resistance to Insulin and after some time insulin will become more effective again.

This is why the young are nearly always thin and fit regardless of what they eat... the young body is not resistant to insulin yet.

Once your body has had a chance to adjust you can once again eat carbs without worrying too much because the carbs will be converted to energy far more efficiently.

Using this technique I lost 2 and half stone and have maintained a healthy weight ever since.. i'm 40 years old, so don't fall into the trap of thinking "oh i'm getting on a bit it must be my age" because it isn't... you can be thin once more and enjoy the things you want to eat... just in moderation.

Peace,

Korg.

edit on 9-6-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Korg Trinity
I don't know about "resistant to insulin" since the wiki article about that is full of [citation needed] notations, but aside from that, I have to agree that too much sugar in the diet is a problem. If we cut back on fat, which can make us feel satisfied, and replace it with way more calories in sugar, which don't make us feel as satisfied, obviously that's going to have weight gain implications, regardless of how many [citations needed] to support the insulin resistance claims.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur
a reply to: Korg Trinity
I don't know about "resistant to insulin" since the wiki article about that is full of [citation needed] notations, but aside from that, I have to agree that too much sugar in the diet is a problem. If we cut back on fat, which can make us feel satisfied, and replace it with way more calories in sugar, which don't make us feel as satisfied, obviously that's going to have weight gain implications, regardless of how many [citations needed] to support the insulin resistance claims.

I didn't quote anything from WIKI... are you sure you are replying to the correct post?

I'm talking about science and about facts... I'm also talking from Experience...

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Fat (and sugar) is bad for you because we consume excessive amount!!!

Imagine a hunter in the caveman era.... how often does he comes across meat whenever he can eat and sugar whenever he demand it or added to everything he ate?

we are saturated in excessive amount of calorie and we do not have enough activities to release those calories. instead we eat a big fat meal(big portions in a single sitting) with high amount of fat and sugar then we sit on the couch and drink beer(triglyceride, also fat).
edit on 6/9/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: luciddream

Imagine a hunter in the caveman era.... how often does he comes across meat whenever he can eat and sugar whenever he demand it or added to everything he ate?

we are saturated in excessive amount of calorie and we do not have enough activities to release those calories. instead we eat a big fat meal(big portions in a single sitting) with high amount of fat and sugar then we sit on the couch and drink beer(triglyceride, also fat).

Excess is anything is not good imho.

My diet allows you to eat that slice of pecan pie or to have a Mcdonnalds breakfast

The trick is go ahead and have it but limit it to maybe once in two weeks
Trust me when you do this it taste ohhh so great

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Korg Trinity

originally posted by: luciddream

Excess is anything is not good imho.

My diet allows you to eat that slice of pecan pie or to have a Mcdonnalds breakfast

The trick is go ahead and have it but limit it to maybe once in two weeks
Trust me when you do this it taste ohhh so great

Peace,

Korg.

another good tip..

Go and buy yourself some Vit C tabs the 1000mg ones. Take these daily and you will without a doubt feel so much better in yourself, and not as hungry either.

Peace,

Korg.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join