It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bizarre Phone call this morning from someone who claimed to work for "Windows"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Total scam. Do not under any circumstances do what they ask. They will gain access to your computer remotely and you will be in trouble. Just hang up.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I only think it funny you even stayed on the phone when this was an obvious...O-B-V-I-O-U-S scam. Hang up with these kind of calls!! the longer you stay on....

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Plenty of YouTube videos below on how to scam a scammer...

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   
A scam. Nobody can know what's on your computer unless they're in front of it, so what the caller said was a bluff. Most likely, they got your phone number by randomly dialing.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: earthblaze

By the way, I found this page www.callercenter.com... that contained complaints from people who received calls related to this fake Microsoft/Windows scam and they included the scammer phone numbers. Can the authorities look into that?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: earthblaze
Hi all,

I received a bizarre phone call this morning (I'm in the UK) from an articulate lady with an indian accent. She claimed she worked for "Windows" and told me that they had identified that my laptop was infected and I need to switch it off then back on again while she was on the phone.

I obviously did not comply with her request and told her that I have Bit Defender running on my laptop and that it was not infected when I did a full scan yesterday. She tried to challenge this and I then asked her why they were not contacting me via email and how was she able to link my laptop to this phone number. She called on my father's number but I have a skype landline number linked to all my online accounts (bank, forums etc). I cannot be traced online with my father's telephone number. When I challenged her on this she put the phone down.

Have any UK members had this phone call. Does anyone know if it is some sort of scam? It worries me that many computer users are not very experienced with computer security and may fall for this ploy, whatever it is.

Regards,

Talen

Its a scam , I worked for Dell serving US customers ,now i work in banking sector heading a bank branch(evil face) , people would often call us asking to check there was virus in their computer as someone from "windows" or "Microsoft" had called .. They often scam people take around 300-400 dollars from an year warranty (so they suppose) and they run away with the money . and we were the once getting fired left , right and center once we told them what was going on ...

Thing is you don't even need to download a virus , every computer has some kind of spyware . IF you do use a software like Malwarebytes or superantispyware , they will show you something or the other . which the callar can use to scare the daylights out of him ... (your computer info is stolen , they have your bank info , you are doomed wtc... etc..) normally if you know spywares its nothing really bad ...

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
You can troll these guys easy, what they really want is your money and you can use that to troll them into submission .

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: earthblaze

I just request they tell me my IP address before we continue, we've never got past that 1st question before they hang up

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: LrdRedhawk

Not the name of the site I remember.
It'll come to me one day....maybe.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join