It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did the "moon ring like a bell" when anything landed on it? Not only American aircraft but Rus

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: totallackey

Radio (which is electromagnetic in nature) and sound waves (which is vibrations) are not the same thing, and are not what radio telescopes are looking for.

You're article even states that (sound needs a medium, light, which is electromagnetic energy just like radio, does not).

Sound needs a medium to travel through (those vibrations). If the medium stops, so do the sound waves.

Different mediums can stop or reflect electromagnetic energy (how do you think radars work?).

For example you can hear whales in the ocean from miles away, yet you won't be able to see them, because light can't travel as far in that medium.

When a person at a radio station talking into a microphone, their voice is vibrating the air, which in turn vibrates a thin membrane on the mic, which causes a magnet, that is surrounded by conductors to vibrate. Moving a conductor through a magnetic field causes electrical current to flow (called induction). It will produce a very low frequency electrical impulse on those conductors.
That electrical impulse is then amplified and is modulated with a radio frequency carrier.
That radio frequency that is modulated with the electrical impulse that was generated by vibrations from the radio announcer's voice, is then amplified and transmitted out an antenna.

At home, you tune your radio to the same carrier frequency of that radio station. Your radio receives that carrier signal, amplifies it, then it demodulates it (cancels out the carrier frequency), which leaves you with the original electric impulse, which is then amplified, and sent to your speakers........

Your speakers are conductors that are coiled around a magnet, and the electrical impulses cause the magnet to vibrate, which cause the speaker membrane to vibrate, which vibrates the air.....allowing the sound to reach your ear.

Radio (electromagnetic) waves and Sound waves are NOT the same thing.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: GArnold

the mass of the moon can readily be calculated from the orbital velocity around and distance from earth. (thank you Kepler) the mass can also be calculated from the diameter of the moon, and assumptions about its density.
if the moon was ringing because it is hollow, these two numbers will be quite different. i think not.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

It's funny.. I have written about 10-15 threads about Drones and the NSA and your fourth admendment rights here. Yet no thread I wrote has been half as popular as one I wrote about the moon. As I suggested most people care more about who advances on American Idol then if your Govt is spying on every single thing you do. Sad state of the world really.
edit on 31-5-2014 by GArnold because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: GArnold

It's funny.. I have written about 10-15 threads about Drones and the NSA and your fourth admendment rights here. Yet no thread I wrote has been half as popular as one I wrote about the moon. As I suggested most people care more about who advances on American Idol then if your Govt is spying on every single thing you do. Sad state of the world really.

That's because everyone can see the moon.

But not everyone can see the NSA........

One is easier to relate to than the other.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

On a similar note to eriktheawful's reply, everyone is governed by, and can verify, the laws of physics - that information is transferable between planetary bodies. Scientific observations can be checked, and incorrect claims about scientific data can be refuted, and should be.

Not everyone is American. Your assumption that because you have had a poor response to your other threads must mean everyone else is absorbed in crappy reality TV shows is kind of insulting and patronising. A well populated thread about science suggests that you're wrong.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I have thought from time to time that the moon is an ark.

The rocks on earth appear to be younger because our crust renews itself. One tectonic plate gets sucked under another melting it and having that material surface elsewhere on earth as new molten rock.

Thats why we cant find traces of anything older.

edit on 5 31 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Even solid things ring like bells...

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

a reply to: TommyD1966

Thanks.. Interesting. Still most of what I posted has not been explained. The iron was brought back to Earth and still never oxidized. The eclipses are virtually perfect. The ringing has never been explained. the rocks being older there are theories about but not of them are universally accepted as being true. No one knows how the moon was formed or when. There is question if you read the second thing I posted that there may have been two moons at one point that collided making up the incredibly odd composition of the two sides of the moon.

Most of what you have posted can not be explained because we do not have the knowledge. I don't why it's such a big deal that the moon is older than the Earth? It is once believed in, some ancient cultures, that there were two moons & one of them fell to the Earth. I haven't heard about the two colliding. The two sides of the moon could be so drastically different because one side isn't having the same earthly abuse to it & the dark side could have been subject to more asteroid abuse or it could be because there was once water on the Earth side & nothing on the dark side.

Of course no one knows how the Moon was formed or when, we don't know that knowledge for pretty much all celestial objects, including Earth. All we are ever going to have is theories unless we run into some alien race that knows or when we die & we learn it or it gets explained to us. There are things in life that we will never have the answer to & most of our knowledge we do have, isn't always guaranteed that what we know is true. We are in the infant stages of learning & to say we know anything for absolute certainty is ignorant. Look at Chemistry, we thought we knew how all chemicals reacted & bonded but we just learned that things react differently with greater pressures applied.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: onebigmonkey

On a similar note to eriktheawful's reply, everyone is governed by, and can verify, the laws of physics - that information is transferable between planetary bodies. Scientific observations can be checked, and incorrect claims about scientific data can be refuted, and should be.

To say that we know the law of physics both on Earth & out in space is a bold assumption. We think we have it figured out but we are too young to actually have the answers. We make our guesses & hold onto them until something comes along to disprove it or not. Chemistry is the perfect example. We long ago thought we knew everything there was to know about chemistry & how different elements behave. We just recently discovered that elements behave differently at higher pressure so all the assumptions made before, have to be changed.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Maybe it's an alarm system.... who knows. Most likely we will never know what it actually means.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

... How are the rocks from the moon billions of years older than any found on Earth.? ...

The Earth is constantly being resurfaced by plate tectonics , whereas the moon is not , so rocks on the surface of the moon are older than the rocks on the surface of the Earth.

... How is the moon the exactly right distance from the Earth and Sun to create a perfect solar eclipse.?...

Not true , see annular eclipse.
edit on 31-5-2014 by engvbany because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
delete
edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: onebigmonkey

I said "most". Not all. But you seemingly want to make your little statement. Please twist what I said more to fit your put down however. Thanks. In fact please try and not actually read and make sense of what I was saying but please jump to your conclusion and feel free to call me out for it as well.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

God did make a beautiful place, didn't he? When you think of the perfection of everything we see and take part of on a daily basis, it is amazing to see the work of God! Even if you break down the human body in each part individually, it is amazing God could make such a perfect thing! Planets alignments, stars, how each planet serves it's own purpose, so much more! God is great, thanks for letting me take part in this amazing place!!

As for the moon ringing like a bell, that is pretty cool! I have never heard about this, but I imagine there is a reason or purpose for this happening. Good thought process here, it is interesting to think about why this happens...?

I am not going to argue about God so please don't even instigate me.

How do you come to this conclusion? Nature is beautiful but it has zero to do with your god.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Further... From a science magazine yesterday.

""""For more than half a century, the moon had been mocking the best minds in science, and for Erik Asphaug enough was enough.

-Snip-

m.nautil.us...

This was a cool post.

So his theory is that another moon collided with ours to make the mountains of the far side - couldn't this be easily proven true or false by comparing the rocks from both the far and near sides?

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Margana
To say that we know the law of physics both on Earth & out in space is a bold assumption. We think we have it figured out but we are too young to actually have the answers. We make our guesses & hold onto them until something comes along to disprove it or not.

Yet we know enough to predict very accurately where the planets and other Solar System objects will be in future, and know enough to send robotic spacecraft to them. Science doesn't purport to know everything and have all the answers, but it does test its theories and guesses, so that the right theories stay (and get refined) while wrong theories get rejected. This learning process doesn't mean we know nothing; we know a lot and are learning more and more.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

That's because it is a hollowed out alien base.

Another interesting fact is that one rotation is exactly equal to one orbit around the earth so that the same side always faces us.
edit on 31-5-2014 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit
I'm still trying to figure out what is meant by "ringing", since there is no atmosphere on the moon or in space through which sound waves need to travel. Is that an analogy for something else?

Yes. Seismic waves. It means that the waves from an external perturbation are detectable for a significant period of time.

Apparently the dissipation of seismic waves is low in the Moon, perhaps because it has no liquid or deformable interior core, and as you say no atmosphere in which to propagate and dissipate the seismic fluctuations.
edit on 31-5-2014 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TommyD1966

I am not gonna argue if we did we land on the moon or not.. It has been reported many places the moon rang like a bell for hours after any aircraft landed on it. NASA reported it rang for 4-6 hours. My other questions are... How are the rocks from the moon billions of years older than any found on Earth.? Why has iron brought back from the moon never oxidized? How is the moon the exactly right distance from the Earth and Sun to create a perfect solar eclipse.? If it was one mile closer to Earth or to the Sun that would not happen. Just weird moon facts that so far have no answer.

The bell has been covered.

Rocks on moon are 'older' because of plate tectonics - on the earth the surface keeps getting recycled. Not so much on the moon.

No oxidation because, well, no oxygen (atmosphere) to create the rust.

Eclipses aren't perfect. Sometimes the moon more than covers the sun, sometimes it doesn't quite cover it -- an 'annular' eclipse.

TD

Partly true.

It's because of differentiation during the formation of Earth. Earth was a big glob of molten cosmic debris that combined due to gravity and formed into a sphere, and the surface cooled down while our core is still molten.

The moon formed at around the same time, and in the same way. The core of the moon cooled down a long time ago, due to its size, and this there's been no tectonic activity for billions of years. Whereas the Earth's oldest rocks that we know of would not have been formed by the time the moon entered this state.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace

originally posted by: Margana
To say that we know the law of physics both on Earth & out in space is a bold assumption. We think we have it figured out but we are too young to actually have the answers. We make our guesses & hold onto them until something comes along to disprove it or not.

Yet we know enough to predict very accurately where the planets and other Solar System objects will be in future, and know enough to send robotic spacecraft to them. Science doesn't purport to know everything and have all the answers, but it does test its theories and guesses, so that the right theories stay (and get refined) while wrong theories get rejected. This learning process doesn't mean we know nothing; we know a lot and are learning more and more.

Our knowledge level is like that of a Grade 1 student compares to high school graduate. Grade 1 students have an understanding of some things but still has tons of stuff to learn.
I didn't say science is the one who claims to know everything & have all the answers, humans are the ones who claim to know everything & have all the answers. So long as we, as humans, are willing to admit we don't know everything and continue to search for answer than science will continue to try to answer things.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join