It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malware on ATS? [see/read: below]

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
When trying to log out from ATS, I was redirected to a known malware site and I was not logged out at all. I see you have also introduced ads in logged in mode. I hope I don't have to experience this again. Please, can some admin explain.

ETA: After having tried logging out and in again I noticed a lovely lady's buttocks on the logout screen, I know I am a wanker and all and do many funky searches, but here on ATS? Please don't spread malware, no matter how good the intentions are. Check your ads, some of them are obviously unsafe.
edit on 27-5-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: eta

edit on 5/27/2014 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Utnapisjtim
It might help if you provided some details like the name of the malware site, etc.

Have you run the malwarebytes free scan lately to see if your PC is clean?

www.malwarebytes.org...

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

My PC is clean alright. Clean enough anyway. I don't want to contribute to further spread the garbage by posting links, but let's say it's the kind of malware you'd expect if you were in a more, eh, sweaty place. I did click one of the top banners that has shown up here since the product and company displayed caught my interest. But the redirecting didn't happen until I had clicked the log out button when I was redirected to the silly second logout button. There is an ad there, square in shape, to the left. One or more of them are corrupt and well, illegal even, since it can theoretically spin down my hard drive or burn my RAM or whatever the author had in mind. I closed the window as soon as it came up. It's one of the classics.
edit on 27-5-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: typo

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
There are toooons of reports of people having security issues with ATS. For me these problems happen on ATS only, after building a completely brand new computer, shortly after logging into ATS the problems come back. Once I started visiting ATS on my phone, popups and redirects all the time.

Got a new phone, stopped visting ATS on it, no problems. Recently starting going on ATS on my phone, pop ups and redirects again. While on ATS on PC antivirus shows constant incoming and outgoing threats to the point of me muting the computer to stop hearing the little alert. I frequent many other forums, on various platforms, ATS is the only one that consistently causes problems, phone or PC it doesn't seem to matter.

I'm not a computer expert, but it seems odd that ATS gives problems to SO many, and to me so frequently across different computers and interfaces.

There are plenty of other threads where people complain of the same thing, you'll be told your wrong and ATS is secure as fort knox. Believe what you want to believe... but you aren't going to get any help from admin about it...

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
before you state that your PC is 'clean enough' Please do me the favor of downloading & running ComboFix . !???
<!-- direct download link

it often surpasses even malwarebytes with what it 'catches and takes care of'.

i've been running naked on XP Pro for near two years now... no antivirus... not nothing..... and i just don't have any issues on the boards, despite 'being here damn near 24/7' all the while.

any questions whatsoever, don't hesitate to ask.

12m8keall2c
Jon

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
In one sense I don't get it ... I have XP pro and like you say basically run naked and the only thing that happens once in awhile is that pop up Java page . I was thinking that XP was going to burn down but it seems to work better every day . I have all updates turned off and no security that I know of . I do get a phone call evry now and again telling me I have a problem with my windows and they need to fix it ...I just tell them I am hopeing the darn thing will burn up so I can get a new one lol a reply to: 12m8keall2c

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

run combofix and keep it handy/updated [it won't run completely, if it detects a newer version available]

.... you'll likely need it at times going forward.

just plain works. !

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
We tend to blame the site when it may actually have more to do with corrupted tracking cookies from the advertisers whom use the site, Double click is a known problem and they are one of the tracking site's whom monitor the activity of site user's, rubikon project and several other company's also list in the sites which monitor users of the site but I don't know what they serve but it is probably innocent enough, Double click though is a tracking cookie which can be hijacked by other nerarious groups so it is usually removed by most virus checkers but using incognito (if you use google chrome) or in private browsing usually automatically block's most cookies and emptyint the cache after is a good policy, also try malware byte's anti malware the free version is great at finding and removing spyware or malware, just keep it up to date and run a scan after every session of browsing.
Best of luck.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: 12m8keall2c
before you state that your PC is 'clean enough' Please do me the favor of downloading & running ComboFix . !???
<!-- direct download link
Thanks for the tip but you might want to post a link that works for more than 10 minutes. That link says it expired after 10 minutes and the redirect takes me to a page where I don't see any combofix download in sight.

I searched that site and got this link, maybe it will last more than 10 minutes:

Combofix

originally posted by: Utnapisjtim

My PC is clean alright. Clean enough anyway.
It wouldn't hurt to check it. I don't know about combofix but the malwarebytes scan doesn't take long and you can start it, then run it while you're away from the computer.

edit on 27-5-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
On 5 different computers in 5 different locations...Ive never had any such problems at all...ever. I "visit" a lot of "different" sites...and never have ATS issues. Not on PC at home, work PC, laptop (everywhere and anywhere I take it), phone or tablet. And Im on ATS all the time.

Everytime this gets posted I look to be safe...nothing. Ever. So, I know for sure, its not EVERYBODY going to ATS. It has to be other factors involved...

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

it still gives you a live/active 'download link'..

???

[ETA]

you just have to click on the 'name' [ComboFix]

safe. secure... and just plain works!!

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: 12m8keall2c

Not me, I get this message:

The Download link has expired!

The links to our downloads expire after 10 minutes. You will be redirected in three seconds to the proper page to download the program.
I'm not redirected in three seconds because I have to push a button to allow redirects, and when I click the allow button I get the link I posted of just general windows downloads. Maybe there is some script not running, but I don't allow those to run except on whitelisted sites I trust like ATS.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

To be honest i am suprised your running Xp at all?

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Many of the ads you see are directly related to the websites you visit and the things you search for. Keeping your browser clean is the key to stopping the madness.

Use CCleaner to keep your browser clean and cookies deleted all with the push of a button. You can also manage cookies and keep the ones you want and delete the rest.

I never have a single issue with malware or any of my antivirus programs being alerted to anything on the website. Nor do I ever have an issue on my smartphone.

Before blaming other websites for your problems, you should clean your browser and operating system first. Because at the end of the day, you are resposible for your own browser and PC"s security. No one else.

(post by Kuroodo removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   

You were correct about the combo fix not working but the link you gave downloaded "open it" and "stormfall" and a trojon...so dont use the link you provided and you should delete the link
edit on 27-5-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-5-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightningStrikesHere

'm not sure why that would be.... it's still the best thing gates ever put forth...

better yet, even.... without the damned monthly 'fupdates'

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Utnapisjtim

I can't believe I am hearing from a person who runs XP in 2014 without updates activated or even antivirus, that I need to keep my computer clean and who provides a fix that directs the users to even more malware. I am aware that the ads that show up are chosen based on what I search for and what pages I frequent. BUT. That doesn't change the fact that this here is the first time I have ever seen this one classic illegal malware, and it came after having clicked on one of your banner ads which was an ad for a serious Norwegian company that looked totally legit. I have actually started clicking some ads every now and then around the web just to tune or direct what ads show up next time.

Nothing bad happened until I clicked the ATS logout button when my session ended, then I was redirected to a page typically informing the user that this site here (ATS) contains illegal material and unless I buy a prepaid visa or something and send the money to Djibouti or wherever (where the coppers apparently must have some kind of hard work resort), my HD will spin down and lock up and my computer will be worthless and the coppers will come and eat my soul unless I click this or that link or download this or that app. Not bloody likely. Scam, lies and utter nonsense. Idiots actually click those links and get stuck with lots of problems on their puters. It's the first time I have seen this one. Guess I'll just install an ad-blocker again. Should do the trick.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: 12m8keall2c

originally posted by: LightningStrikesHere

'm not sure why that would be.... it's still the best thing gates ever put forth...

better yet, even.... without the damned monthly 'fupdates'

Linux a bit to much for you :p ?
edit on 0452023154552th by LightningStrikesHere because: (no reason given)

(post by AreUKiddingMe removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join