It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malware on ATS? [see/read: below]

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: AreUKiddingMe

Thought about it, but nah, ATS needs adjusting it's contracts with their advertisers, for scripting, redirecting and popups/popbehinds is bad karma and not even good advertising, and I wont even go to looping ajax scripts and the constant time-outs at log-in, that's all. No harm done, just bloody annoying and a slip. Get to it ATS!
edit on 28-5-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: syntax

edit on 28-5-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: looping ajax and time-out

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
... I was thinking that XP was going to burn down but it seems to work better every day . I have all updates turned off and no security that I know of . I do get a phone call evry now and again telling me I have a problem with my windows and they need to fix it ..

That phone call sound like the "fake Windows tech-support scam", which is nothing to do with Microsoft : the scammers phone people at random, ( almost everyone has a computer and the vast majority run windows ).

Here's how the scam works ... www.wired.co.uk...
edit on 28-5-2014 by engvbany because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: engvbany
the scammers phone people at random

Not quite, they target people with poor security. If your post box is full and the lights are on in your sleeping quarters all night, well you are an easy target. There's a hehe love this word-- bouchey or something leaned up against your front door, perhaps a rose at the door-handle? Not good news I'm afraid. There are Jesi in the neighbourhood. Naivety is the biggest problem with Windows. With XP you don't even have to click the links, Explorer does it by itself.
edit on 28-5-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: ...

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Utnapisjtim
a reply to: Utnapisjtim

I can't believe I am hearing from a person who runs XP in 2014 without updates activated or even antivirus, that I need to keep my computer clean and who provides a fix that directs the users to even more malware. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

there is no redirect in that link. anyone experiencing such clearly has had their browser hijacked.

as for running XP pro with no anti or updates...... well.... i'm not the one experiencing odd issues with my pc, and I'm not about to go with any of the new versions of Windoze either. if it's not broke, why, oh why, should I have to 'fix it' ?

i'm on here as much if not more than even SO and just about every other member and I just don't have any of the issues we see being 'reported' on a regular basis.

anyone having difficulty getting to the download link for combofix.

just google "combofix bleeping" and use the link to bleepingcomputers.com. don't download it from anywhere else.

run it. restart and good to go.

when it prompts to download and install the windows recovery console just opt out.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: 12m8keall2c
as for running XP pro with no anti or updates...... well.... i'm not the one experiencing odd issues with my pc

Well of course youre not. Whenever one wants access to a system, like ATS, let's say in order to access a certain users machine, you choose backdoors like your poorly secured OS among the mods and admin. Just sayin. Besides, I don't experience odd things with my computer. I experience odd things with this site. Get Linux.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

wish them the best of luck

first they'd have to get past the firewall between the pc and router.

they're more than happy to 'try and hack a floppy disk drive'

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: 12m8keall2c

Fair enough. But get rid of registry problems, viri, and the rest, get Linux

ETA: And of course a Firewall is only of use until you click that link. That may be anywhere on a page someone would parse in front of you. But like I said. Fair enough. Faith and patience are the hackers' best friends. Sooner or later someone in the Pentagon just HAS to watch that cat farting

edit on 28-5-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: ETA

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

I've tried numerous flavors of linux over the years. even have an older version of mandrake to duel boot to on this machine.

it's just that the vast majority of PCs i work on are windoze-based units, and i figure it's best to stay on top of what I'm likely to see come across the workbench, so to speak. keeps me fresh, if you will.

???

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: 12m8keall2c

Like I said, NP, we all have our ways of coming on top of things. Normally I choose to hide, but the darkest spot in heaven turned out to be a bunch of galaxies, so who knows. We have the knowledge, and we have karma and there are pivots and beams on sets of scales. Even a third scale and Anubis' finger. And then there is the growth of his finger's nail. And when all that turns to crap and the fan starts moving, Asar comes in with his pack of Jesae

Life is too full of trouble already to travel to world's end just to smack someone or fix something. Did that once, we ended up drinking and set asail together for a while and came up with an elgoritm still kissing arse out there. Life is strange that way. Learned a lot.
edit on 28-5-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: Shortener

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

when it prompts to download and install the windows recovery console just opt out.
Oh great ...now what do I do ??? a reply to: 12m8keall2c

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

just click no. and it will continue on anyway.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Too late . I down loaded it the other day and did the no no ...Now what ? a reply to: 12m8keall2c

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Utnapisjtim

Not quite, they target people with poor security.

I know people who have had the "fake Windows tech-support scam" telephone call, who don't have Windows operating system , (they have Linux) , i.e. it's a cold-call scam : the scammers have no idea who is going to answer the phone.
Evidently they get lucky frequently enough to make it worthwhile persisting.
edit on 28-5-2014 by engvbany because: spelling

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
not sure if this help, but some thread when i click it.... my work blocks it as "Adult Material".. then it works again, after i click another time.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

it's not that it's a 'nono' as much as it's just not necessary for combofix to run properly or anything

did you run the program..?

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
cool ...I did run the sucker and if my XP blows up I will hunt you down on another device lol It's too soon to tell if it took care of the small issues I had .I wasn't alone in the Java page popping up so I guess time will tell . Thanks btw a reply to: 12m8keall2c

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

the java dealio is typically resolved by deleting your java temp cache [hidden] files. the whole kit and kabootle.

PM me and i'll walk you through it. it's a targeted 'repository' they can attempt to attach to in order to 'do their thing' .... likely due to java being one of the most widely used techs on any pc, tablet, OS, etc.

why 'target' apple when they only have an overall minuscule market share, hence windows-based units are typically the ones 'they go after'

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
a reply to: Arbitrageur

You were correct about the combo fix not working but the link you gave downloaded "open it" and "stormfall" and a trojon...so dont use the link you provided and you should delete the link
Here is a screenshot of what the link I provided takes me to on my computer (you can confirm the url is the same as what I posted by clicking "quote" on my post to see the actual url):

So, if you are getting something other than this, I'm pretty sure it's because of a problem with your computer, and not a problem with the link I posted. I figured the search would always take you to the latest version. When I click that link to "combofix" it takes me to a page that says "ComboFix 14.5.27.2" though that version number isn't in the url so that url may also go to the latest version but I wasn't sure.

Were you able to download it and clean your malware anyway?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: engvbany

Yes, but there are MS scams and there are MS scams. Just sayin.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
UPDATE: I was just looking at ATS without browser-protection* and just got a fake "Java Update" scam, see screengrab ...

If I'd clicked on "OK" it would have installed malware , ( IMO adware is malware).

[ * I'm not allowed to tell you about that in this forum : my posts on that topic are censored ]

If ATS admin want the full URL of that fake "Java Update" scam, beyond "www.updowntuv.com", so they can block it from ATS, send me a PM.
edit on 1-6-2014 by engvbany because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join