It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Boat Attacks, Sinks Fishing Vessel, Vietnam Says

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

You are right, the "rest of the world" wonders about the people of this great country. How come we don't right things. That is also what the constitution calls for. Jefferson said that every hundred years or so.. its the reason tenure on senators and president is two and four years respectively.. Thats how long before an elected official learns how to cheat.

As far as whether the US people matter in the end to the rest of the world… how much did the German and Japanese citizenry of their Empires matter to the Allies.? Not one bit. Entire cities were razed to the ground. Carpet bombed, firebombed and even nuked, IN THE END.

I emphasized that last part so you don't run off with it. War never starts out how it ends up. People have good intentions and all about "limited warfare" and "Rules of Engagement".

Then theres that soldiers first rule of warfare…

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I can't tell if this guy is trolling or what, but if he thinks he can just waltz into China like it's Iraq, he's in for a BIG shock. Ground invasion of China is pretty much impossible. They would overrun any foreign troops within weeks due to the shear size of their manpower.

Nevermind the face they have a pact with Russia and have nuclear capable ICBMs that can reach US soil.

You are still living in the 60s. Empires rise and fall. US is declining and it's a fact, you can't change that.

Also, the way you talk about Chinese treatment of others sounds very hypocritical indeed coming from an American.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Exactly. So there is no point separating US foreign policy from "the US". If I were to go almost anywhere and say I'm American, I'm not going to hear about foreign policy, because just like people here, they don't make a distinction between the two.

This situation doesn't have anything to do with our foreign policy though, except in that we're going to support our allies in the area.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I don't think the rest of the world realy cares a lot about America or any other country they don't live in to be honest

Here in the UK we get far too much POTUS and American interest in the media than we should

I'm sure it's all designed in the modern age to make us accept America as the world police men,the wall to wall covering of your presidential elections over here is comical

I used to joke with mates when ever we saw a big movie in the cinema or on the small screen,the Stars and Stripes is in so many American movies in long shot

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Exactly. So there is no point separating US foreign policy from "the US".

Yes there is. Like I said, put it to a vote.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

Love the response and the new map with more. Of course, the thread isn't about every nation with a shoreline in Southeast Asia. It's about only two nations...The People's Republic of China and Vietnam. I didn't have Vietnam's territorial claims though, so thank you for adding that.

As for the other nations though? They can claim rights clear to Midway Island for all I care. They have a military able to enforce claims on their own beaches..kinda...when everything goes right for them. They pose no threat of ever being able to aggressively pursue those claims. Not in this life.

Only China really DOES have regional projection ability if not a bit beyond. So, it's China's claims right along the coastlines of two nations they don't border at all...and the entire South China Sea outside the coastal limits of the other nations they kindly permit to have that much..that I have a problem with.

China needs to just check itself a bit there before they wreck themselves in a spectacular way. Japan had ambitions in the 30's too. It also involved taking a dim view of neighbors rights and claims ....it didn't end well for them, even if it took a world at war and years to end the matter. It absolutely DID end. I hope China doesn't push like that, but this claim by them is just ignorant and absurd in my view.

** BTW Global Firepower is a good one for direct comparisons of national armed forces and primary economic indicators.
edit on 5/27/2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

China is the poster child for "might makes right".. just look at Tibet and Mongolia, and lets not even talk about their history of violence.

The people running that regime are diabolical and evil. As bad as America is perceived and yet we have problems, the fact remains that America is far more morally capable.

Vietnam is one heck of a strong country and people. They know China better than most and also recognize that if you give them an inch they will take a mile. This is how they operate. My sincerest desire is to destroy China and send them back a hundred years and keep them there. They use a VERY selective version of history to display.

And on the war talk, the US and allies would win a war with China, no doubt. Look at what little Japan did to them when being outnumbered. They dont have the "oomph" required to win a war.

(post by squarehead666 removed for a manners violation)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
China has been bulling all her neighbours making all sorts of Wilde claims for decades

Notice how they don't bully India so much these days they've gone on to bully the weaker neighbours like Vietnam with a none existent naval power...

It most definitely time for a Far East NATO to join forces against the big bully China... US and Japan have been trying to build a strong organised defence against a rising china but it needs to become more of a united stronge voice towards China's actions

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: HanzHenry
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

China is the poster child for "might makes right".. just look at Tibet and Mongolia, and lets not even talk about their history of violence.

The people running that regime are diabolical and evil. As bad as America is perceived and yet we have problems, the fact remains that America is far more morally capable.

Vietnam is one heck of a strong country and people. They know China better than most and also recognize that if you give them an inch they will take a mile. This is how they operate. My sincerest desire is to destroy China and send them back a hundred years and keep them there. They use a VERY selective version of history to display.

And on the war talk, the US and allies would win a war with China, no doubt. Look at what little Japan did to them when being outnumbered. They dont have the "oomph" required to win a war.

Well yes Japan essentially steamrolled China, but let's not forget now useless they also was fighting in Korea too

Behind there fake economic might China is all mouth no trousers

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whereismypassword
I don't think the rest of the world realy cares a lot about America or any other country they don't live in to be honest

Here in the UK we get far too much POTUS and American interest in the media than we should

I'm sure it's all designed in the modern age to make us accept America as the world police men,the wall to wall covering of your presidential elections over here is comical

I used to joke with mates when ever we saw a big movie in the cinema or on the small screen,the Stars and Stripes is in so many American movies in long shot

No actually it's because we're historically linked and essentially cousins and extremely close friends...suggest you leave the UK for Russia.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whereismypassword

No actually it's because we're historically linked and essentially cousins and extremely close friends...suggest you leave the UK for Russia.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

So everyone else there's no difference between them and their government, but the US is somehow special?

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Just when this thread seemed to get a bit heavy, i found this in the local news

Canada should annex these!
globalnews.ca...

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000
The article mentions the "nine-dashed line" for territorial claim, so I went to look up what that was.... Oh.. WOW...

I don't know why, but I hadn't quite seen it this way before. I mean..THAT far south? It's nice China left Vietnam any waters at all, and I can see why they aren't happy now.

(China’s nine-dashed line in South China Sea)

There it is, for anyone else who hadn't seen a map drawn quite that way for showing the lines and areas involved.

That is quite a claim.

If you think that is crazy, you should look at the Northern Limit Line which separates the manufactured territorial waters of North and South Korea, an imaginary line created by US commanders after the Korean War which North Korea doesn't recognize. When North Korea shells water, they are shelling their own water. In the South China Sea, China has a claim to all of the contested islands in question. Their claim is as valid as any other nation. The main problem now is that China is drilling for oil. The US doesn't like that. They want all the oil for themselves. These other nations, Philippines, South Korea, Japan, and yes, Vietnam, are doing the bidding of the US. Vietnam has been stirring up a lot of trouble lately. First the government staged anti China and anti Taiwan riots which led to the deaths of three Chinese citizens and the evacuation of Chinese workers from the country. This tactic of organizing bloody riots is a hallmark of the CIA (Maidan in Ukraine, attempted coups in Syria and Iran). Vietnam is now causing trouble with their fishing boats. Their boat was rammed by a Chinese ship. It wasn't fired upon. This incident wouldn't have happened if the Vietnamese didn't want it to happen. This is the Asia pivot. The US is leaving Afghanistan and Iraq and going for the oil in the South China Sea.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

So everyone else there's no difference between them and their government, but the US is somehow special?

Isn't that what you are saying? i am done with this. its useless bicker about who has the right to do what to whom. Ever play Risk?

I quit playing that game a long time ago for the same reasons.

Once you learn how governments operate in order to dominate their region or wider world, it becomes a redundant exercise. Witness what Obama is calling the "Asian Pivot".

1-2-3, 1-2-3, carry on…

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

And have you actually SEEN the so called Asian Pivot? It was supposed to be almost done by now, yet the disposition of forces hasn't changed one damn bit. There has been nothing pivoted, and from the looks of things budget wise, there are no plans to either.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
China intercepts Japanese patrol planes

Chinese Su-27s intercepted a Japanese OP-3C and a YS-11EB near the Senkaku Islands recently.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join