It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They Took Her License Because She's ''Too Old.'' What She Did Next Is So INSPIRING!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
What a fantastic and inspiring story. You're Never Too Old to Impact Others.This is amazing! This woman fought to get her driver license back and won. Not just for her, but for friends that need rides to buy groceries. Who no longer can drive!

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

"...the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life; the sick, the needy and the handicapped. " ~ Last Speech of Hubert H. Humphrey

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Ghandi

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
i love this. what a sweety she is.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Grandma rocks, wish people would respect our elders better.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Nice story but there is a reason they took her license. A friend of mine lost a brother in law when a 91 year old woman pulled out on him. He left behind a wife and two kids. I guess the right solution is regular retesting after a certain age.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

What a sweet little old lady. I hope I'm that full of life and spirit when I'm that old....if I even make it that far.

On a side note: I've never seen a DMV that empty before. They must have filmed after hours or something because there wasn't a single other person in that place.

Anytime I've had to go to that dreadful place it takes at least 2 hours and there isn't an empty seat to be found.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Good for her and others like her but at a certain age our reaction time can and will slow down so I do agree that when we hit a certain age we need to have some type of reflex test every 6 months to prove that we can still react in a timely manner, I know this seems unfair but driving is a privilege not a right.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: CallYourBluff
Nice story but there is a reason they took her license. A friend of mine lost a brother in law when a 91 year old woman pulled out on him. He left behind a wife and two kids. I guess the right solution is regular retesting after a certain age.
That was unfortunate. However and unfortunately, young drivers and drivers of all ages take lives through carelessness. If she can pass the test, I see no reason why she can't have a license to drive.

Nice story. That lady is a gem!

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I have to agree with CallYourBluff.

I have heard too many stories of the elderly pulling out and killing people.
My parents friends have been killed by such incidents all left behind a wife and two kids.

I have heard and seen videos of the elderly stepping on the gas peddle thinking its the break and running into walls smashing human flesh and bones between there car and the wall.AND they get away with it all because they are old and senile.All that is taken away from them is their drivers license.(prison wouldn't do much, but maybe the death penalty)mistake or not, they have caused grief and sorrow for others and given a slap on the wrist.(hired assassins wanted)

There should be an age of re-testing. Point in case.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: CallYourBluff

The errant driver didn't pull out in front of somebody because she was old, it was because she wasn't paying enough attention (and we all have blind spots that take constant thought to be aware of); this could have happened with any age drivers.

My aged mother and her friend were out driving and the friend pulled out into traffic without seeing an oncoming car; the friend died instantly, my mother was seriously injured. Sometimes it works the other way and older people are even more fragile.

OTOH, my 98 year old friend Harry was denied his license renewal just because he was 98, even though his hearing and eyesight, thought processes and reflexes are all equal to someone 40 years younger. Now he can't drive his Model A anywhere. He's fighting it with the California governor's office...

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: signalfire

Well your 98yr old friend is being wronged. I support his fight so long that he passes both the written and actual driving of the test.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I hope I'm as lucid when I get to her age, and hey! she's helping the old folks.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: SirKonstantin

My parents friends have been killed by such incidents all left behind a wife and two kids.

I have heard and seen videos of the elderly stepping on the gas peddle thinking its the break and running into walls smashing human flesh and bones between there car and the wall.AND they get away with it all because they are old and senile.All that is taken away from them is their drivers license.(prison wouldn't do much, but maybe the death penalty)mistake or not, they have caused grief and sorrow for others and given a slap on the wrist.(hired assassins wanted)

The key to you and the other poster is being tested.

Not only that but the system! I recently had a good friend of mine whom tried to prevent his father from driving because his father was dangerous! Guess what? The doctor said he was fine to drive. My friend refused to give his father the keys to his car because he was nodding of at the VA hospital, and the police were called. My friends father ended up driving away.

Blame the system NOT those whom are victims of it.

I also might add, that I would like to see cellphones disabled while a vehicle is operating as well!

I will bet you any amount of money that more people are injured and killed due to idiots using their cell phones while driving than a few elderly folk making a drastic mistake? Right?

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

I also might add, that I would like to see cellphones disabled while a vehicle is operating as well!

I will bet you any amount of money that more people are injured and killed due to idiots using their cell phones while driving than a few elderly folk making a drastic mistake? Right?

You bet, mobiles are a whole new ball game, and I don't care what anyone says about being adept in the use of a mobile on the move, there is enough multi-tasking going on in a vehicle, without the piggin' phone..no one, male or female, is a safe driver using them, and even some of those who stop to answer need watching for a sudden halt.
edit on 14-5-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: signalfire
a reply to: CallYourBluff

The errant driver didn't pull out in front of somebody because she was old, it was because she wasn't paying enough attention (and we all have blind spots that take constant thought to be aware of); this could have happened with any age drivers.

My aged mother and her friend were out driving and the friend pulled out into traffic without seeing an oncoming car; the friend died instantly, my mother was seriously injured. Sometimes it works the other way and older people are even more fragile.

OTOH, my 98 year old friend Harry was denied his license renewal just because he was 98, even though his hearing and eyesight, thought processes and reflexes are all equal to someone 40 years younger. Now he can't drive his Model A anywhere. He's fighting it with the California governor's office...

So you are saying at 90 and above driving ability isn't impaired? The fact is at a certain age driving becomes difficult and dangerous for other drivers. When I get old and see my driving abilities are failing, the last thing I want is to kill someone because I was too stubborn to yield my license. Like I said, regular retesting after a certain age is fair for all.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
What a beautful, sweet lady! I also think she's probably a better driver than many on the roads.

"How about a cuppa tea? Would you like a cuppa tea and a muffin...?"

Classic, timeless, awesome. Thanks for posting this gem.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

"...the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life; the sick, the needy and the handicapped. " ~ Last Speech of Hubert H. Humphrey "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Ghandi

I have never heard either quote above, rest assured I will not forget them.
Profound!

Thanks for posting those quotes.
S&F to the OP for a very much needed "Feel Good" thread.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Death penalty for accidents??? I don't believe in it for murder, as its evil and darth vader fear tactics.

Sorry man, life is messy sometimes. And if they ever pull that we the citizens will need to perform citizens arrests and recall them.
edit on 14-5-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Wow, for 98 she's doing really good! I know I won't make it to that age, let alone be that healthy if I make it to 80!

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99

Death penalty for accidents??? I don't believe in it for murder, as its evil and darth vader fear tactics.

Sorry man, life is messy sometimes. And if they ever pull that we the citizens will need to perform citizens arrests and recall them.

Too true, although retesting is not a bad idea, (and it worked in this case) the reality is that everyone makes the same mistakes so there's no point in defining the elderly for pulling out, I've seen every Tom, Dick and Harry of all ages doing the same thing for different reasons, and there are heaps of reasons within that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join