It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group Preparing to Press Military for Atheist Chaplain

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Group Preparing to Press Military for Atheist Chaplain

A source tells Fox News that the Military Association of Atheists and Free Thinkers plans to make the request on Tuesday, floating its president Jason Torpy as the proposed chaplain. Asked for comment, the association referred FoxNews.com to its position in support of a prior bid to name a "humanist" chaplain. The Defense Department has not yet returned requests for comment. ...

Democrats tried, unsuccessfully, to pass legislation creating such a post in 2013. In response, Republicans offered up a measure of their own to prohibit the Pentagon from naming such a chaplain. The House approved the measure in July. ...

A separate organization, The Humanist Society, endorsed Oxford-educated religious scholar Jason Heap last year to be the first-ever humanist chaplain in the U.S. Navy. The MAAF supported the application. All along, the group has argued that more people identify as atheists and humanists than any other non-Christian denomination.

So an atheist group thinks that they should have a military chaplain for atheists. Here's what the military says the mission of it's chaplains is ...

US Army Chaplain Corp ... Mission

US Army Chaplain Corps Mission - The U.S. Army Chaplains Corps provides religious support to America’s Army, assists commanders to ensure the right to free exercise of religion is upheld, and provides spiritual, moral and ethical leadership.

Chaplains Resource Manual - purpose of chaplains

The office of Chaplain is not just to provide a ―religious‖ officer to the organization to offer prayers at meetings. The Chaplain has loftier purposes:

1- To help persons grow as individuals and particularly in their relationship with God.

2- To help persons grow in their relationships to one another and become a true comrade to
one another.

3- To serve as a reminder of the transcendent in life,

4- To develop an environment with which comrades are encouraged in their personal and
collective moral and spiritual growth.

5- To remind all Americans that God is the source of all rights and privileges.

I spent five years in the US Army as a Chaplain Assistant. With that in mind my comment is .... the atheists already have 'military chaplains' ... they are called 'military psychologists'. That's what you get when you take the religion out of a Chaplain ... a psychologist. There is no need to have an 'atheist chaplain' ... it doesn't fit. Secular humanism isn't a religion. Atheism isn't a religion. Therefore ... if there are emotional or personal issues that a soldier needs to address, or they need a personal advocate for a delicate matter, the non-religious can go talk to the psychologist. That's what they are there for.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
An 'atheist chaplain' ?!?

Isn't that an oxymoron?

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: minusinfinity
An 'atheist chaplain' ?!?

Isn't that an oxymoron?

You beat me to it.
Well, well said, your right,

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I think the term "Atheist Chaplain" is a total oxymoron and find it ridiculous that any atheist group would want to use that term specifically.

It always amazes me. No matter a group's philosophy or belief system is, when the extreme views are prevalent and become consensus among that group they seem to:

a) Digress into hypocrisy
b) Adopt similar methods to those that they oppose
c) Seek a popular acceptance over their specific groups' idea of enlightenment

Merriam Websters Dictionary, definition of chaplain:

chap·lain noun \ˈcha-plən\
: a priest or other Christian religious leader who performs religious services for a military group (such as the army) or for a prison, hospital, etc.
1: a clergyman in charge of a chapel
2: a clergyman officially attached to a branch of the military, to an institution, or to a family or court
3: a person chosen to conduct religious exercises (as at a meeting of a club or society)
4: a clergyman appointed to assist a bishop (as at a liturgical function)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arktos1

I think the term "Atheist Chaplain" is a total oxymoron and find it ridiculous that any atheist group would want to use that term specifically.

It always amazes me. No matter a group's philosophy or belief system is, when the extreme views are prevalent and become consensus among that group they seem to:

a) Digress into hypocrisy
b) Adopt similar methods to those that they oppose
c) Seek a popular acceptance over their specific groups' idea of enlightenment

Merriam Websters Dictionary, definition of chaplain:

chap·lain noun \ˈcha-plən\
: a priest or other Christian religious leader who performs religious services for a military group (such as the army) or for a prison, hospital, etc.
1: a clergyman in charge of a chapel
2: a clergyman officially attached to a branch of the military, to an institution, or to a family or court
3: a person chosen to conduct religious exercises (as at a meeting of a club or society)
4: a clergyman appointed to assist a bishop (as at a liturgical function)

Great post!

I am not a believer, but yet I find the fervor and rabid hypocrisy of those whom oppose religion, and their beliefs in a certain political party OR cause, just as mind numbing as some of the religious cults and their preaching......

I'll never forget what Rodney King said!

"Why can't we all just get along?"!!!!

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Ya I think this is overboard.
Why would atheist need a chaplin? What are they going to talk about??

Agree with you that if they feel that need, they can just go talk to the shrink.

I wonder what their insignia would be....
edit on thMon, 12 May 2014 14:10:19 -0500America/Chicago520141980 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Nothin'

Agree with you that if they feel that need, they can just go talk to the shrink.

Blank spot on the uniform.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

The insignia hmmm....maybe the inverted chaplain insignia.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

5- To remind all Americans that God is the source of all rights and privileges.

Then why the hell isn't he out there taking bullets for us?

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: minusinfinity

The insignia hmmm....maybe the inverted chaplain insignia.

Well each religion has their own, but i am pretty sure I know what you are getting at

Off topic, but when do they get the satanist chaplain?

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

An Atheist Chaplain......

Wouldn't that be like Kosher Bacon?

I don't get it.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Although I sometimes find us at odds in opinion, FlyersFan, I cannot fathom why on earth an atheist would need a chaplain. LOL

I mean seriously, that's just going too far. Akin to shouting "Hey, don't forget, I'm an atheist!"
(No disrespect to atheists, only to those in the military who want atheist chaplains)

What, are they asking for a cheerleader or personal motivator? What would the guy say?!

"Go Team!"

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

The U.S. Army Chaplains Corps provides religious support to America’s Army, assists commanders to ensure the right to free exercise of religion is upheld, and provides spiritual, moral and ethical leadership.

Many atheists believe in a spirituality. Some believe in life after death. And surely, atheists have moral and ethical challenges, just as anyone does.
edit on 5/12/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
How about a 'nonreligious liaison' to handle the same things the Chaplains do, without subscribing to a particular belief system?

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

The U.S. Army Chaplains Corps provides religious support to America’s Army, assists commanders to ensure the right to free exercise of religion is upheld, and provides spiritual, moral and ethical leadership.

Many atheists believe in a spirituality. Some believe in life after death. And surely, atheists have moral and ethical challenges, just as anyone does.

But do they believe in Freedom and the Freedom of Speech?

Grant you, Christianity is paying the price for their religion dictating government policies for years.

However, how is this behavior any different?

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Atheism has denominations? The soldier would have to identify his certain 'brand' of atheism to make sure to get the right chaplain?

ETA: You know, after thinking about this more, I'll answer my own question. Of course atheists have denominations, just probably not clear cut ones. No one thinks exactly alike, so feel free to disregard my premature question.

edit on 5 12 2014 by JohnTheSmith because: ETA

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC
How about a 'nonreligious liaison' to handle the same things the Chaplains do, without subscribing to a particular belief system?

That's a fine idea. But if it's the same thing, why call it something different? How about a "Humanist Chaplain".

US Army Approves "Humanist" Category As Religious Preference

In practical terms, the change means that humanists could face fewer hurdles in trying to organize within the ranks; military brass would have better information to aid in planning a deceased soldier’s funeral; and it could lay the groundwork for eventually adding humanist chaplains.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
But do they believe in Freedom and the Freedom of Speech?

The only thing atheists have in common is the lack of belief in a deity. So outside that, it's impossible to say what atheists as a group believe.

Grant you, Christianity is paying the price for their religion dictating government policies for years.

True, that.

However, how is this behavior any different?

They're not dictating anything. They're asking for equal treatment.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Then why the hell do they get all bent out of shape when I bring it up? Or do they like to "cherry pick" too?

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I'm more talking about for those service people who dont have a belief in anything, God, etc.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join