It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA warns use of using Aspirin...meanwhile, Bayer and Merck merge & work together to develope heart

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
After all these years, it was surprising when we heard the FDA on the news today, all of a sudden make a big announcement against the use of Aspirin for health benefits
Yes, many know people know of the warnings for possible stomach bleeding but a light dose--81 mg-- was always regarded as okay, as long as approved by the doctor or if one was responsible enough to watch for any signs of bleeding

Until now....
Until Bayer merged with Merck
And now Bayer wants to push their new drug, Adempas-- which has only been out since last year-- and they are going to co-develop more heart drugs with Merck

An Aspirin a Day? Don't Dose Yourself, FDA Says

That’s the reminder Monday from health officials at the federal Food and Drug Administration, who have finally told giant drugmaker Bayer Corp. not to expect the agency to give the go-ahead for labels listing aspirin as a drug for primary prevention of heart attacks and other problems.

Instead, the recommendation for daily doses of therapeutic aspirin remains the same: It should be used only in people at high risk for heart attack and stroke, and then only under a doctor’s care.

“You should use daily aspirin therapy only after first talking to your health care professional, who can weigh the risks and benefits,” said Dr. Robert Temple, the FDA’s deputy director for clinical science.

Now then, tests regarding Aspirin has been going on since 2003, so why now is the FDA speaking out about it?
Maybe, because of the merger, their plans to develop expensive heart drugs are on top of their 'To Do' list

Bayer Bulks Up Its Medicine Chest With Merck Brands

Merck MRK -2.59% & Co. is getting out of the business of making Claritin allergy medicines and Coppertone sunscreens, selling off its over-the-counter business to Bayer AG BAYN.XE -0.93% for $14.2 billion.

Tuesday's deal is just the latest in a wave of mergers and acquisitions that is reshaping the global pharmaceutical industry. Many drug companies are narrowing their focus, dropping out of noncore businesses and bulking up where they have the size and expertise to generate significant sales growth.

Call me suspicious but what are the odds of the FDA on Monday stating not to rely on Bayer Aspirin after all these years--remember we have always been warned of possible stomach bleeding-- and then this announcement today of the merger

One thing pops into my mind....more money can be made if they push for a prescription drug for heart problems and get people to ease off OTC Aspirins that would be cheaper, with less side effects

Merck and Bayer also agreed to form a collaboration to co-develop and market certain prescription heart drugs, including Bayer's Adempas, a treatment for a form of high blood pressure. Merck will pay Bayer $1 billion upfront, plus potential additional milestone payments of up to $1.2 billion if sales goals are reached.

Now then, while doing a search on Adempas --no generic available-- the cost is staggering!!!!!!!!
I'm finding that it can cost approx. $2694 or more a month....

Compared to a $4 bottle of 81 mg Aspirin....albeit not a guarantee to fix heart problems

Holy cow!!
No wonder they are trying to turn the public off of Aspirin after all these years

Maybe it's just me, reading more into it than there needs to be
Or maybe I just don't trust pharmaceutical companies and their greedy ways

Just do your own reading/research, see what you think

edit on 6-5-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Aspirin is one of the very few pharmaceuticals I will take... I'd rather take my chances with aspirin, than to try anything that big pharma decides to push next...

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

I think you are perhaps on to something...it is true that aspirin used to excess causes leaky gut, but your take on the monetary benefit kinda over-rides that little gem, especially if working with an MD.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

You might be surprised on whom and how Bayer got started!! Check it out!

I'll give you a hint! "Operation Paperclip"......

Being that they merged with Merck (which was news to me) now I REALLY won't take an aspirin EVER again!

edit on 6-5-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

You might be surprised on whom and how Bayer got started!! Check it out!

I'll give you a hint! "Operation Paperclip"......

Being that they merged with Merck (which was news to me) now I REALLY won't take an aspirin EVER again!

Hmmm....

And I never knew that Merck was acquired through nefarious ways
Basically confiscated by the US government during World War I and subsequently established as an independent American company

Go figure

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

I think you are perhaps on to something...it is true that aspirin used to excess causes leaky gut, but your take on the monetary benefit kinda over-rides that little gem, especially if working with an MD.

Get this...

www.goodrx.com...

Specialty medication

This drug is considered a specialty medication, which means:

It is very expensive.

A typical fill can cost $7,976 or more for 90 tablets of Adempas 2.5mg.

Patients in need of this drug will usually find most of the cost paid by an insurance company, government or non profit organization. If you are uninsured or need help with your co-pay, the manufacturer may also offer assistance.

Learn more
Most retail pharmacies will not stock this medication. The manufacturer may offer more information on how to fill this prescription.

WOW!!!!!
We're in the wrong business

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Aspirin works miracles for pain relief, for me. I was prescribed vicodin once for a broken foot. It made me feel like ants were crawling under my skin. I traded them for a case of beer. I keep a bottle of aspirin in my survival kit.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
source
a little information about Bayer Co.--

Contaminated haemophilia blood products were a serious public health problem in the late 1970s through 1985. These products caused large numbers of haemophiliacs to become infected with HIV and hepatitis C. The companies involved included Alpha Therapeutic Corporation, Rhone-Poulenc Rorer Inc., a unit of Rhone-Poulenc S.A., Bayer Corporation and its Cutter Biological division, Baxter International and its Hyland Pharmaceutical division .[1] Estimates range from 6,000 to 10,000 haemophiliacs in the United States becoming infected with HIV.[1][2] Factor VIII is a protein that helps the clotting of blood, which haemophiliacs, due to the genetic nature of their condition, are unable to produce themselves. By injecting themselves with it, hemophiliacs can stop bleeding or prevent bleeding from starting; some use it as often as three times a week.[3]

I, for one, do not trust ANY company that profit off of keeping their clients sick, no matter their advertising campaign.

If i want/need asprin, i will scrape out some willow bark, or make some tea with it.
edit on 6-5-2014 by occrest because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

This is interesting and useful info.

Thanks very much, OP.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Thanks for the info.
What to do? What to do?
I've been prescribed the 81 mg daily dose since a heart attack two years ago. Stopped taking it regularly about nine months ago, and only take it when it seems the heart is having to work too hard.
I do bleed rather easily, when taking it (must be careful shaving or playing with the dogs) - but I'm certainly not going to pay $3K per month for another goofy drug.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: occrest

Hence the reason why It's my personal opinion we should move away from using money. Money means someone is making profit. Greed then kicks in and can possibly cause them to do nefarious things. Without money, I think the world would be a better place. Then you wouldn't need to worry about who was making your drugs... they would be doing it because they enjoy helping others get better, not to make money.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
Aspirin works miracles for pain relief, for me. I was prescribed vicodin once for a broken foot. It made me feel like ants were crawling under my skin. I traded them for a case of beer. I keep a bottle of aspirin in my survival kit.
I never use pain killers except on rare occasion, like last year when I got pleurisy, and aspirin does nothing at all for that kind of pain, but the largest allowed dose of ibuprofen helped a little. It's probably not a bad idea to have both aspirin and ibuprofen in the medicine cabinet, as they each have different uses.

I never took enough aspirin to cause any stomach problems, but I do worry about some older family members who take it regularly under a doctor's advice, and do seem to have some slight stomach problems, but it's better than a heart attack or stroke.

Aspirin does have some known risks associated with it but the risks of fancy new drugs could be far worse for all I know, and the $4000 a month prescriptions are definitely hazardous to the wallet.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
What this all boils down to is this. The Drug company's are a business, they rather treat a disease or what ever then to cure the problems. If there is a cure out there the drug company's make no money.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   

There is a disease theory that links almost any disease you can think of with inflammation. I will have to find those studies for you but I want to bookmark this thread. Aspirin IS a blood thinner, but more importantly an anti-inflammatory. Quite frankly to see them back pedal peaks my curiosity quite a bit. I'll see what I can dig up.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Really interesting and intriguing. Thanks for the catch.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I can see a conspiracy in this. Obamacare comes out, a drug that costs over 3K a month, and telling heart patients that aspirin won't help much anymore? I really wish they would catch the real people behind this stuff - government officials getting kickbacks for pharmaceuticals - then making sure the insurance companies will pay so everyone can have some of their new stuff.

If there is a connection there I am going to have to move to Mexico for sure. It is just getting too hard to see this stuff happening and the American people falling for it. Maybe I'm just overly tired.

PS - Thanks for the info about this meric company. I didn't realize. I don't buy Bayer anyway - just paying for a commercial. Why spend 8.00 a bottle when you can spend 2? Both have the same ingredient, which is aspirin.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=17891520]snarky412[/po

I'm going to tell you what I see and don't get offended. I an article by NBC that basically tells me nothing other than any responsible person would say ...ex: hey don't just dose yourself and self medicate because that's my product and I am legally responsible for what happens in the Darwin Awards...

The medication Adenpas ...wasn't approved to take the place of patients at risk for heart attack and stroke ...it states

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Adempas (riociguat) to treat adults with two forms of pulmonary hypertension.

Very different things .....where are you drawing
the connection again?

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   

edit on 7-5-2014 by paleorchid13 because: Double post

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
in my life i have interacted with a large amount of doctors and nurses. I have always been puzzled by the amount of them that have negative things to say about aspirin. One doctor told me, "If Apsirin was going before the FDA today for approval, it wouldn't pass"

It was controlled like benzo's and opiates, and had to be counted each shift at the mental hospital I worked in.

My wife, who is a nurse, doesn't allow it in the house.

Take all that for what its worth.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Most patients I've known are on coumadin ..heparin ....or have some physiological process that interferes with coagulation and clotting factors. Of course aspirin is bad # to those we see . It's a powerful anticoagulant too ...that' why they teach you in an emergency setting to have them eat and grind >300 mg aspirin.
Personally i'd rather see people take ASA than coumadin .....many GOOD doctors avoid putting their patients on such things ...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join