It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma Octopi now dangerous killing machines?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Text BlueOk I found some info on the web that there are killing octopus in oklahoma lakes they are supposed to be very teritorial and are mixed like shark and octopus its says that they are killing many people but yet i live 45 minutes from the lake and i haven't heard anything about it and it is supposed to look like a stirrlin
if any one has info on this please post soon they say there is another one in devils lake in wisconsin here is the site www.americanmonsters.com...

[edit on 28-11-2004 by tightboarder90]

[edit on 28-11-2004 by tightboarder90]

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
heh, you'll love this one. i posted it back in july. It isn't from oklahoma, but still...

www.arkansasnews.com...
Today's fishing report from Lake Conway: Bass fair, crappie very good, bream good, catfish fairly good, octopus excellent. The venerable lake has seen and hosted its full share of oddities in its 52 years, but John Mazurek Sr. may have reached a new plateau Monday when he caught a good-sized octopus at the lake's dam. Yes, octopus - the ocean creature of many myths, little knowledge among inlanders and several steps beyond the more familiar eye-openers like alligator gar and grinnel.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Okay, I'm betting mutation of something else. Some kind of fiendish mutated snail or something. The reason I say this...you've got two of the most polluted lakes in the state on the list:

Lake Tenkiller has all the pig and chicken farm run-off you could possibly corral into one lake and still have water.

Lake Thunderbird...well, I can't think of anything nice to say about that mudhole...for pete's sake, it's nothing but run-off from Oklahoma City sewer systems piled up in a red-clay hole.

Mutation...that's my bet.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Thats pretty cool that we have killer Octopi except for the fact THAT I MAY DIE SWIMMING lol jk...

I live in waukesha wisconsin and i didnt know there was a devils lake at all lol. I might go explore this devils lake and hopefully find some octopi cause ive never seen a live one just one that has been fried or boiled and had sauce put over it.

Does anyone know of what part of WI Devils lake is??

[edit on 29-11-2004 by mindbeyondreality]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I wish I could pack up the spinning reel and go with, but that isn't going to happen. I did do a web search for Devil's Lake and got plenty of hits. it's a state park and it does have reports of a lake monster. Hey, it's closer than Scotland.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Off the top of my head, I think it's a hoax.

I'm here in Texas and we'd have heard if there was anything like octopi in the lakes. It'd be a nine-days wonder and there'd be folks hotfooting it up there to get those tentacled darlings. There's no real way to get them to the lakes (they just don't walk) and ocean octopi can't live in fresh water.

And there's no reliable reports of it (newspapers, for instance)

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Yup! Real dangerous these ones, all 3 feet of em!

www.geocities.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I would be very interested if you could provide the scientific name of the Octopus species inhabiting the lake, perhaps with some biography. Ubtil them, I'll take it as a joke, since Octopi are an exclusive marine species: their bodies and methabolisms are not suited to freshwater and they are known even to avoid brackish water near the river mouths.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
you know that there are freshwater octopi and i think im going to take the explanation of mutation and there have been several small newspapers that have made reports on them that i found but lost last night

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
On National Geographic I watched a medium sized octocpus taking on a big shark, by hiding with its camouflage skin on the bodem and wait for the shark to swim on top of him, after wich the octopus quickly lunched at the much bigger shark and suffocated it by covering and squeezing the sharks gilles with its strong tentacle while keeping out of tje reach of its jaws.

I was very impressed, its a one strike or your out attack, the shark normally would have made mincemeat of the octopuss, but the octopuss masterfully used the element of surprise and the one weak spot of these sharks..

[edit on 30-11-2004 by Countermeasures]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I've swam every corner of Lake Thunderbird day and night, for most of my life. I keep my boat at Calypso Cove Marina, where I've swam every inch of the bottom looking for lost treasures. I've safely attended fireworks shows on floaty rafts for hours. With countless beers consumed on that lake, I've seen alot of things, but no octopus... In fact, I've never seen anything the size of a horse (known or unknown) in Lake Thunderbird. Also, I'm curious where all these "native american legends" came from, as the lake wasn't formed until 1965 when the Norman dam was completed, damming the Little River. The Little River is still basically a creek that barely exceeds the knees, and can be walked across at almost any time of the year. Before the Little River was dammed, it dried up completely in the summer (as most Oklahoma rivers do) and is hardly a place to hide a freshwater "monster". Until recent years, as the city of Norman has attempted to clean up Thunderbird's water, it has been referred to as "Dirtybird" due to the lakes rediculously heavy sediment. So I suppose there's still a chance of a mutated worm or other newly spawned biproduct of chemical runoff, genetic testing, or perhaps refugees from a nearby UFO crash, but I highly doubt native americans told tales of octopi in the Little River. For more rational, honest, and factual information about Lake Thunderbird, and it's lack of lake monsters:

www.touroklahoma.com...
www.usbr.gov...

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Kakugo

Until rather recently, most people thought that sharks were exclusively marine animals. But the bull shark can swim hundreds of miles up river. Who is to say that there isn't a species of octopus that can do the same.

For what it is worth, I think that this is bogus also. But just because we don't know of an octopus that can exist in salt water and fresh water, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
LOL, I agree I have lived most of my 35 years around Lake Thunderbird .. aka Dirty bird. The only stories I have heard of are sewage water, and tanks that floated on top of the water full of Norman sewage. The lake was formed in the 60's and basically covered an old town.

I have never heard any stories of octupus... I have heard of rather LARGE catfish, now they have whiskers about the only tentitical like thing I can think of.

I don't know how people even step foot in Dirty Bird, because you can't see anything but dirt and ick. There are always several trees and tree limbs floating about. Lots of drunks and their beer cans.

Hmm... no this I have to say is honestly the first I have heard about this animal. I would have to say though with all the sewage that has dumped in the lake, there could be mutations of things in that water...

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
This is odd since I have lived in OK my whole life and had a boat at Oolagah for 10 years and NEVER heard about this until I came across some lame show called LOST TAPES on cable. I looked around the internet and found a site saying these claims have been being made by Native Americans here for hundreds of years. Heres the problem, the three lakes they claim have the octopi, Tennkiller, Oolagah and Thunderbird are at most 60 years old. All the large lakes in OK are man made lakes built durning the 40s and 50s. I'm going to have to call BS on this stupid story LOL.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tightboarder90

i just watched this show on animal planet called 'lost tapes' the episode was called 'oklahoma octopus' it was about these 5 kids who just graduated from high school, they went to a lake in oklahoma to spend their last weekend together before college. anyways one of the boys videotaped the whole thing. the fotage was incedibly scary, but looked and sounded real. 3 of the kids "drowned" and their bodies were never found. the other 2 kids escaped with suction cup looking spots covering their bodies. it is said that many others have "drowned" in the lake before. however some people still call the octopus a legend. after watching the tape, i now believe the 'legend' is much more then a myth -julia

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I remember being suprised at finding good sized eels at the bottom of the spillway of a fresh water lake west of DC. DC does have a high and low tide but the stream this lake was connected to was tiny. Life is tenacious.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I'd like to see some information on these so called fresh water octopus.
I've never heard of one.

We know that the blue ringed octopus of Australia is one of the most venemous things out there.
We know that humbolt squid will attack and injure people.
We know that there are a few octopi that match the humbolt in size.

If we take this all together and assume a new species that can tolerate fresh water then it seems possible ... but very unlikely.

[edit on 13-1-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I've lived in Oklahoma all my life and have never heard of the Oklahoma Octopus...real or fictional...there are troutlines and you must be careful swimming....gar, alligator snapping turtles...but most deaths are from drinking n swimming...sorry to disappoint.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
oklahoma octopus video!
link to video
incredible!images.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

I just watched a show last night on Animal Planet called "Lost Tapes"..The story I watched last night with video by the teenager himself showed him and his 4 friends at one of the lakes in Oklahoma (I can't remember which one)... He was filming his friends in the water and off to the right he saw something in the water..When they showed the video again and slower; it was a large tenicle..

The friends decided to go to the dock in the middle of the lake, they were there and one of the friends a guy, kept playing jokes about being pulled under on himself and then his friends.. An arguement followed, he got in the canoe leaving his friends on the dock and started paddling away.. Shortly after, the video pans right and his boat is upside down with no sign of the guy. The other guy (not the one filming) jumps in and swims over to the boat searching for his friend and on film, something drags him underwater..He never resurfaces either.

The 3 remaining people, the guy filming and 2 girls are left there stranded on the dock in the middle of the lake with no way of getting back to shore..Hours go by and it now dark and then suddenly something bumps the dock then grabs one of the girls into the water.You see again, a large tenicle type arm. She never resurfaces..

The two remaining people sit out there until around 1:38am and the guy puts the vidoe camera down and you hear him say "we have to do it." You hear them get into the water to start swimming back to shore, you hear screams.. They did make it and where found that morning and brought to the hospital because of exhaustion and were found to have suction like wounds on their legs. Their friends have never been found.

I'll tell you, it kept me up all night...The show was saying it would be possible for an "octopi" to grow accustomed to fresh water over time and to continue to thrive as long as there was plenty of food available.

Go to Animal Planet and check out the "Lost Tapes" section..

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join