It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Atheist's view on life vs. A Christian's view on life.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I've noticed a poster across social media that has a poem or prayer which can be read in two ways.
As given it is supposed to be read as an atheist's view from top to bottom, but it can also be read as an Evangelical Christian prayer in reverse. www.worthychristianforums.com...
It's like backward masking for religious people.

I found the original poster very ignorant about atheist and agnostic positions.

Here is a clip that has the poem backward and forward, and it seems equally assumptive about a "proof" that God, sin, redemption and salvation exist, without a shred of evidence.
The insinuation is that atheists or agnostics simply don't want to believe in this God - as if He was proven to them, but they choose to ignore this emotion because they are somehow cold-hearted individuals.
Of course, the Christian version is accompanied by "Amazing Grace", and an appeal to the emotions.

I wonder how other members might applaud or criticize this effort for highlighting certain "truths", or conversely highlighting certain Christian propaganda methods with false assumptions and no substance.
There's a constant sense that atheists are unfulfilled, materialistic and immoral.
Yet, for lack of morality and blatant materialism one only needs to look at the daily religious scandals.
If any system is full of materialism, perversions and social issues it is surely religion.

Of course that doesn't mean there might not be sincere religion or ethical atheism.

Does the one version represent atheism fairly?
Does the other represent Christianity fairly?

Edit - Although I haven't located a singular author, the much copied material traces back to Deo Volente Media, which is a faith based film and media outfit run by David D. Dietrich. www.dvmfilm.com...
edit on 29-4-2014 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

the entire meme represents Christian propaganda fairly

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Here's the wording of the anonymous narrative:

An Atheist’s View On Life I will live my life according to these beliefs God does not exist It is just foolish to think That there is a God with a cosmic plan That an all-powerful God brings purpose to the pain and suffering in the world It’s a comforting thought however Is only wishful...thinking People can do as they please without eternal consequences The idea that I am deserving of Hell Because of sin Is a lie meant to make me a slave to those in power The more you have the happier you will be Our existence has no grand meaning or purpose In a world with no God There is freedom to be who I want to be But with God Everything is fine It is ridiculous to think I am lost and in need of saving Versus A Christian’s View On Life (Now…read from bottom to top to see a different view.) I am lost and in need of saving It is ridiculous to think Everything is fine But with God There is freedom to be who I want to be In a world with no God Our existence has no grand meaning or purpose The more you have the happier you will be Is a lie meant to make me a slave to those in power Because of sin I am deserving of Hell The idea that People can do as they please without eternal consequences Is only wishful thinking Is a comforting thought, however That an all-powerful God brings purpose to the pain and suffering in the world That there is a God with a cosmic plan It is just foolish to think God does not exist I will live my life according to these beliefs ~ Author Unknown
www.worthychristianforums.com...
edit on 29-4-2014 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: halfoldman
...I found the original poster very ignorant about atheist and agnostic positions.

...The insinuation is that atheists or agnostics simply don't want to believe in this God - as if He was proven to them, but they choose to ignore this emotion because they are somehow cold-hearted individuals. ...

halfoldman - I lived virtually half-a-century in the realms of Christendom... This belief is instilled - deeply entrenched - many (most?) do not question the meme. It is, in fact, a heavily indoctrinated teaching (found in Romans, 1st chapter, New Testament).
Once 'leaving' Christianity, all* my family believed the same of me (He's just mad at 'God' and wants to do his own thing - a reprobate - willfully disobedient - etc... ).
If you dig deeply enough into any religious dogma, you must let go of objectivity, to some degree.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

Yeah, I agree with Wandash. That wasn't written by an atheist, in my opinion. It "misses the mark" in explaining an atheist view of life, which is for the most part, to savor life, because life is all there is. Atheists' first thoughts on life aren't "There is no god!" As if someone just escaped prison and there is no more prison guard! LOL

Atheists don't wake every morning, gleefully exclaiming, "There is no god!" They may say, "I won't live my life believing there's an invisible man in the sky, watching, listening and judging me. " I know that's what I said when I broke free of the spell of religion.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

I'm less consciously atheist or agnostic in the daily struggle of things.
I'd like to think there's somebody watching over me, but then I hear of kids with AIDS and cancer, and I think if a good God won't hear their innocent cries and ease their suffering, then what are my chances?

One thing that also makes me doubt is when people pray before a sport's match.
I think that's such a show, and the "God" of the losing team can surely not be real, or He just didn't care.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   

If people understood the Bible properly they would know that there isn't a invisible man in the sky to start with. God is simply the creation of "All things" in every religion. The invisible man thing is a ridiculous Christian idea which obviously came from some deluded followers.

The Spirit of God is in each individual if they live their life off the teachings of the Bible, The spirit of Satan is in everyone if they do not base there life off the teachings of the Bible. According to the Bible, Atheism is akin to Satanic and though I understand that not all Atheists are bad people, that is a teaching from the Bible also. You are either a believer or you are not and there is nothing in between.

Benjamin Netanyahu (The Prime Minister of Israel) is an Atheist Jew. Explain to me how one can call himself this? The two words are contrary to each other. My version is Benjamin is a Satanic Jew.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: DarknStormy

Benjamin Netanyahu (The Prime Minister of Israel) is an Atheist Jew. Explain to me how one can call himself this? The two words are contrary to each other. My version is Benjamin is a Satanic Jew.

One of the people whose work I admire the most calls himself an Atheist Jew, Stan Tenen!

I, for example, consider myself a Christian Atheist. I reject the Christian version of God.

I grew up in a fundamentalist Christian environment, and I grew up with the invisible watcher/judge ready to end the world as we know it at any moment now! But after rejecting projection and then searching for my own "meaning" I have come to believe that "we are not alone."

edit on 30-4-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Yet another case where something I've seen on Facebook gets posted here a few days later. My response is the same now as it was then: the poem gives the distinct impression that the author knew a little bit about Christianity and nothing about atheism.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I just live according to my own ideas of right and wrong. For the most part, this follows the golden rule (do unto others, and all that). If there is some deity judging me, well, so be it. He/She/It never appeared in a way to show that he/she/it is definitely the one to follow (out of all the world beliefs), and lay down the rules, so not my problem.

My values are pretty inline with most religions, so if that isn't good enough, too bad. I'll happily hang in whatever hell is prescribed rather than serve out eternity worshiping some absentee father figure that never bothered to show themselves to me. I harbor no ill will to anyone of any faith. Nobody knows the right answer, so kind of pointless to argue it. Each has to follow their own path.

As for sin, I judge this by if it "feels" wrong. Simple as that. The idea of not observing silly little rituals (to me) like not eating meat on a certain day, and that being a sin, just seems a bit ridiculous (just an example, most religions have lots of these little observances).

Live and let live. I guess it makes me "agnostic" by definition, but kind of hard to put a label on it. I'd like to think we're more than a cosmic accident, but who knows? (and it's unlikely to be known for the spec of time I'm on this little mudball hurtling through the Universe). Perhaps we'll find out at the end. Perhaps it's just over. Either way, can't change it, so no use fretting about it.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

But how can you call yourself an Atheist Christian? I'm not telling you what you can and can't do either btw but Atheist and Christian are contrary to each other. Atheist is pretty much Non-Religious while Christian is Religious. If you don't believe in the religious teachings then how are you a Christian in any case?

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I, for example, consider myself a Christian Atheist. I reject the Christian version of God.

You cannot reject the Christian god and simultaneously call yourself any form or manner of Christian. Identically, you cannot call yourself an atheist and simultaneously call yourself any form or manner of Christian. These ideas are definitively incompatible, which makes your ideology a literal paradox.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

I'm not claiming to be a Christian. I'm claiming to reject my Christian background and the Christian God, specifically. I don't reject the idea of a God altogether, but my God is NOT anything like the Christian God. I don't believe in that God, my attitude toward the Christian God is one of non-belief. I don't believe in the Christian God.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

That's cool but in a previous post you referred to yourself as an Atheist Christian and that's why I brought the topic up.

edit on 30-4-2014 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

You brought up the topic of Prime Minister Netanyahu being an Atheist Jew.

I don't know any other way to explain how one turns from their cultural religious upbringing.

Did you watch the video? It's worth the time!

Stan Tenen, who has rejected the notion of the Old Testament God described through the biblical narrative, still studies the scripture and teaches a spiritual meaning to it, that has nothing to do with the laws of Judaism. I also see value in the teachings of Jesus and the New Testament, but I reject the narrative.

But I can't change or deny the fact that I was raised culturally as a Christian.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

I'm not claiming to be a Christian. I'm claiming to reject my Christian background and the Christian God, specifically. I don't reject the idea of a God altogether, but my God is NOT anything like the Christian God. I don't believe in that God, my attitude toward the Christian God is one of non-belief. I don't believe in the Christian God.

But you literally just called yourself a Christian. Was that a misnomer?

ETA: Oh, I get what you're saying now. You are atheist in regard to the Christian god. As far as Christianity is concerned, you are an atheist. But that's not to say you're an atheist period. Well, that's just too bad, because that still makes you a heretic and a blasphemer.

edit on 30-4-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

No I don't think I did. I have an atheist attitude toward the Christian God, specifically, ie. Christian atheist. I was raised as a Christian, in a Christian environment and culture, and it's the belief system that I grew up with that I reject, specifically. I don't believe in the Christian god.

See? I'm not claiming to be a Christian and an atheist too. But, I also don't claim to be completely atheist. I do believe in a god, but one that is absolutely unlike the Christian god.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

No I don't think I did. I have an atheist attitude toward the Christian God, specifically, ie. Christian atheist. I was raised as a Christian, in a Christian environment and culture, and it's the belief system that I grew up with that I reject, specifically. I don't believe in the Christian god.

See? I'm not claiming to be a Christian and an atheist too. But, I also don't claim to be completely atheist. I do believe in a god, but one that is absolutely unlike the Christian god.

You said you were a Christian atheist. The quote is still there if you want to go back and check. Of course, it does help when you don't just lump two labels together and expect readers to intuitively grasp how those labels are intended to impact each others' meanings. "I am atheist in regard to the Christian god" is much clearer than "I'm a Christian atheist."

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

My example was an answer to the question of how one could be an atheist Jew.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

My example was an answer to the question of how one could be an atheist Jew.

I don't see how that's possible either. One cannot be a Jew and simultaneously be an atheist.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join