It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New drone strike in Yemen kills 55 Al Qaeda militants

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Drones strikes save Troop lives. That is the main point that matters.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skorpy

Screw everyone else right?

American Exceptionalism is alive and well on ATS...

There is no moral high ground to justify these strikes no matter which way you look at it.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Sorry, I'm not going to praise a policy that got it right a few times. Way too many innocent people including children have been slaughtered by drones. It's the same as it always was just with new technology. The War on Terror was not ever anything different than Vietnam, Korea or anywhere else that we've played benevolent protector. That didn't change from one President to the next either.

Part of the reason many voted Obama in, was to get rid of the war policies both foreign and domestic that took hold during Bush, Obama expanded on ALL of them. Now we create as many terrorists as any Republican ever has.

This is why I get so pissed off at Liberals and Democrats for the past several years. Nothing changed and everything we hated about Bush got worse... that and the Democrat party is largely, now, as blatantly corporatist as the Republican party. But it's insisted on that we have to stick together because the GOP just keeps worse and worse and while that's true the Democrat Party just keeps getting more and more like the GOP of the 90's... essentially 'we' let ourselves keep getting dragged toward the Right.

Stop it! Take your #ing principles back.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Corruption Exposed

There is no moral high ground to justify these strikes no matter which way you look at it.

For the record, not every American shares this viewpoint... I find the drone strikes my country takes on other countries are highly reckless and not very "precise"... I also feel that its the "easy way out" and that saying it saves troops is a total cop out. If you are in the military and chose to go into the military there are inherent risks associated with that job, like battle, similarly to any other job with risk (like a fireman may need to occasionally deal with a fire)...

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

al cIAduh are your troops
now you just don't have to pay them

eta

US secretly backs rebels to fight al-Qaeda in Syria
Sources tell Telegraph that America is backing 'friendly' rebels with millions in cash

www.telegraph.co.uk...
that kills troops.
then you don't have to pay THEM either
edit on Wedam4b20144America/Chicago17 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Corruption Exposed

Morals in asymmetric warfare......Silly C.E.

Plus I don't think the other poster was claiming the moral high ground. Just stating the obvious. If we could hypnotize A.Q. into killing themselves, I'm sure we would do it. Anytime you can kill your enemy without risking your life, it's a good way to kill them, given other more dangerous alternatives.

I seriously doubt you would support the U.S. going in after dropping pamphlets and making announcements, letting the women and children flee ect.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

My apologies if it seemed that I implied all Americans think like that.

I know many Americans on this board who are against these drone strikes, and are against a lot of their government's policies both at home and abroad. My concern was in regards to a few posts made in this thread by several members.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but sometimes I find the opinions of some people to lack compassion or logic especially when it comes to defending their government/military actions...

Cheers.
edit on 4/23/2014 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

originally posted by: DarknStormy
a reply to: pavil

I don't care, my country hasn't had a terrorist attack, everything falls back on your country and I'm happy with that.

So would your viewpoint change if your country had a terrorist attack? Just curious.

To be honest with you, no, because I understand that even my countries troops have been fighting in the Middle East and I do not agree with it. My countries troops are meant to protect my country, not someone elses 10,000 km away. So if someone was to launch a terrorist attack in my country, I would say well, we probably had it coming. The minute we put troops in someone elses country and for ridiculous reasons with that, we have pretty much declared war.
edit on 23-4-2014 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Corruption Exposed
Daniel Pearl was a peace activist too.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

if us peeps in the NORTH AMERICAN NATO ALCIADUH supporting countries aren't against drone strikes now
we will be when they start here at home

and because vets and whole milk retailers and cow ranchers (herders ) and comspiracy factists are considered white alqaeda by the new fuehrer

they will

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Danbones

if us peeps in the NORTH AMERICAN NATO ALCIADUH supporting countries aren't against drone strikes now
we will be when they start here at home

and because vets and whole milk retailers and cow ranchers (herders ) and comspiracy factists are considered white alqaeda by the new fuehrer

they will

That's a really good point, I wonder if these people will have the same opinions when their very own government starts dropping hellfire on their own people. They are up there and it can happen at any time.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: DarknStormy

Didn't think so. I do appreciate your candor though.

We just have a basic disagreement that won't be settled here or ever.

Warfare is nothing new to the Human Species. I doubt it will go away ever.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Oh, I agree. I can only shake my head at the American's on this thread who believe their life has more worth than someone from Yemen. A child in Yemen deserves all the opportunity to live a long, fruitful life, just like any child here in the US or any other location around the world. Just because they have terrorists in their general area doesn't mean they should be on the target practice for the day.

I live in Chicago where we have a wave of crime hitting the area. Some could/would call gang members to be domestic terrorists. I tend to agree that they do "terrorize" the areas they frequent and I could never imagine the US drone striking the Englewood neighborhood of Chicago to take out gang members, so I don't see why it's okay doing it in other countries? Granted, gang members aren't blowing up WTC buildings, but they are doing damage to the community in "their way". Prime example is 45 people were shot over the weekend... Now that threat there, seems a lot more immediate than some remote village in Yemen or Afghanistan or etc....

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Is it morally incorrect? Absolutely, however it does not change the fact that our corrupt gov is going to kill these people regardless of what you, me or all the people in the world say. At least this way, with drones we cut the number down of deaths that this wicked gov causes.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Didn't think so. I do appreciate your candor though.

We just have a basic disagreement that won't be settled here or ever.

Warfare is nothing new to the Human Species. I doubt it will go away ever.

Warfare is all we seem to do these days but at the same time, we need to see sense and I don't see that in drone strikes when innocent people are being blown to bits and the very same people/politicians use the "innocent people" thing in other parts of the world to justify toppling other regimes. The people allowing this to happen are double minded liars. To me it actually has nothing to do with sending troops, it is the hypocrisy of the people who make the decisions that really pisses me off. But if they piss me off then you can only imagine what's running through the minds of extremists.
edit on 23-4-2014 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Like I said, irreconcilable differences.

I don't think turning the other cheek in regards to terrorism gets you anything other than pain. Are we creating more terrorists by our bombings and actions, probably. But there would still be terrorists even if we didn't bomb/drone strike. Even if we packed up and moved exclusively to our shores, we would still be targeted for terrorist attacks. It's just the way things are. Wars are ultimately battles of attrition. We will see which side "wins".

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Well there are ways of looking at it. Where are they getting all there weapons from? How long have they been getting them and who is to blame? The other problem is the above leads straight back to America also so it could be said America actually created the very problem they are trying to eradicate today.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I'm not in disagreement with that. Obviously some of our actions have made this problem what it is. I don't claim the U.S. to be saints in our Geopolitical actions, far from it. That all being said, the problem (terrorism) now exists and must be dealt with in some manner. Personally I'd rather be on offense than defense. I fully understand that being on offense results in more conflict/deaths, even of innocent civilians. The alternative to me is even more conflict/deaths on my side. Wars are rarely pretty or neat. We are in a War, undeclared as it is.

I tend to look at it like a pest infestation or disease outbreak, you can keep the numbers down by constantly hammering away at them. You won't ever eliminate the problem but you make the numbers manageable. Eventually, either the disease takes over or is eradicated. You can call me callous, it won't faze me.

P.S. I'm not bashing you, you are entitled to your opinion.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DarknStormy

Well there are ways of looking at it. Where are they getting all there weapons from? How long have they been getting them and who is to blame? The other problem is the above leads straight back to America also so it could be said America actually created the very problem they are trying to eradicate today.

Actually most weapons al qaida has are russian made and or knock offs. Ithink the character in swordfish had the right idea when it comes to restricting terrorism.You tell the terrorist organizationsthis. for each terrorist action you commit you will lose a male heir and if serious enough your entire family. After the first couple hundred killed families they would rethink it because eventually their population would suffer.

It may be cruel and mean spirited but the romans knew how to break a people by doing this or something similiar.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Wonder whether any of the forums condemners would like to share a meal with these people they defend

Lol

Would be hilarious watching them getting beheaded screaming I was so wrong 5 minutes after a cheerful welcome hug

edit on 23-4-2014 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join