It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it called 'Good Friday'?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Christians gather into their respective churches around this time of year, and it is often very emotional.

All these people look at the cross with pity for that great suffering,
and mourn over the death of one who was innocent.

I mourn for them because they do not rejoice.
I mourn for them because they do not see the Son's triumph.
I mourn for them as they see only human misery,
while there is greatness and mercy,
shining brightly and charitably.

Great is God who gave us His Son,
Great is the Son who gave Himself for us.

Truly it is we who are the misery.
We are those who have not seen
the Man-God, but offer little love to
the one who gives us all his.

Who are we to enter under your roof, O Lord?

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
In Germany it is called Karfreitag. Kar derives from the old high German word Kara, meaning misery, grief. (Freitag is just friday)
I have no idea why it is called Good Friday in English

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Because everyone gets four days off work. Which is pretty good.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
It is my understanding that the word good used to equate to the word holy. Good Friday would therefore be Holy Friday.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pillywiggin
It is my understanding that the word good used to equate to the word holy. Good Friday would therefore be Holy Friday.
Ding we have a winner!
www.bbc.com...
the adjective traditionally "designates a day on (or sometimes a season in) which religious observance is held". The OED states that "good" in this context refers to "a day or season observed as holy by the church", hence the greeting "good tide" at Christmas or on Shrove Tuesday. In addition to Good Friday, there is also a less well-known Good Wednesday, namely the Wednesday before Easter.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Its called good Friday because all Fridays are good as opposed to Mondays for example and Easter good Friday falls on a long weekend so its an extra 'good Friday'

In the event there being some other reason then my apologies
edit on 20-4-2014 by learnatic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
One possible alternative to the meaning "Holy" is that it's a variation of "God".
Juat as "goodbye" is a corruption of "God be with you",

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
It's because it's the day after Thor's day (Thursday), and everything is (ofc) all good the day after Thor's day

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   
They consider it good because it serves the purposes of continuing the agenda of control given to you by those who bottle-feed you your salvation; and guard the Arcanum (mysteries) of the Universe they call 'The arc of the covenant' which is meant for us all, but withheld from us. For as long as it is sealed (covenant); they are the few who maintain the wisdom and knowledge over the many. So that they remain the Sheppard, whilst we remain the lambs.

They do not ever wish for us to become sheep; because unlike lambs, sheep wander and need to be securely fenced in.

Therefore as long as we submit to the belief that we need to be 'saved' by one who they represent; it is good for them, as we must come to them to receive said salvation.

The only true goodness in this day; is that the people take a moment to reflect on the misery they have caused this world; which is perfectly 'reflected' in the personification of their sins against the balanced wisdom of this world.

People SHOULD feel mournful and sad on this day; as it is a day when they understand within their own hearts; that they are the followers of a house, run by those who sacrificed the one they claim to love. That took everything he had and then offered it up as their own. And that even in death, after they had taken everything from him; they still wanted to take more. So they offered the only thing he had left after they took everything from him; and that was his name.

The fact that people feel mournful should give them an understanding of exactly what is wrong within a Church that celebrates their slaughtering of its icon.

Would you sit at the table of those who killed your son? Would you choose them to carry forth your word?

If their God was truly the one of love and truth which they propose; then why would he ever allow those who killed the gift he gave in his son; to be his spokesman?

The very Christian/Catholic tome of Jesus on the crucifix should speak volumes to those who claim to love him; about where they are drawing their power from. The power that you pay them for.

Why would so many who believe in Jesus and love him; give their allegiance to the Churches who took everything from him?

The Church was not a gift for Peter, it was for that of his disciples he loved the most; Mary. Peter was the one who took this from her. Which may give you an understanding of why he was annoyed when he realised Jesus had risen; after Mary told him. Because he wanted to take what they had. He knew what it was Jesus had offered, and he wanted it for himself.

Peter took the Church from Mary; something which he was never supposed to have. And nowhere in the Bible did Jesus ever say; "Align yourself with my murderers." or "Disregard the fact that I loved Mary above all the others; and oppress women as common practice."

Everyone needs to realise that 'Jesus' is not with the Church, and never had been. It was an ideal built on beauty and wisdom which was stripped from him; packaged and sold by his killers.

And every 'Good' Friday; when you see those mourning and feel the sense of loss that they do; it would serve you well to remember that those who did such things; are those who you give your love and servitude to.

They have played you all for both the cancer and the cure.

You do not need the Church, to know Christ. You only need the love you have for what he gave you in beauty and teachings. And realistically; if you truly are one who loves him; then you should be one opposed to the Church, based on nothing more than their 'canonized Gospel' in which they dictated to you as men; that which they believed 'God' wanted you to know; and burned and suppressed the rest.

Truth is not selective; it is comprehensively informative. For how can one ever know a complete truth; without knowing all there is to offer of what they seek.
edit on 24-4-2014 by ArcanumMessenger because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join