It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PHOTOS: This Groundbreaking 3D Printer Built 10 Homes in 24 Hours

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
the lumber lobby is very powerful here in the U $ of A. It'll be awhile before this makes any ground

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

My coworker showed me this yesterday. This is incredible. Here's something else pretty cool:

3-d Printed jet engine

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The wolf from the 3 pigs would blow that house down. Might work in Shanghai to build shacks but that is all.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

you may want to read up on that 45 they made...it took 6 weeks to complete! And I'm certain it took other machining operations to get the fit and finish

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Anyone see anything wrong with this?

Ya, my country doesn't seem to be breaking much ground!!

Industrial waste becomes industrial waste for a reason - it's unusable and very often toxic to humans. This new idea is a classic trojan horse.

One of the drawbacks of The Western World not breaking the ground!! We at least have some rules in place that would prevent at least some of the harmful crap!

Really I love this technology! It could conceivably make our lives easier and if we could change our mindset some it would make life much more enjoyable!

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by LDragonFire

It wont work because everyone is so focused on making everyone around them work hard that they forgot theres actually things to do in the world like create music, and art, and practice meditation.

To bad, these poor fools want to do what they want instead of work hard even though we have enough technology in the world since probably the 80's to do everything we need done.

Not to bring religion into it but most of the people behind the illusion that labor is necessary and that "bad" work ethics are a plight are Christians. In the Christian bible, it is said that, even in heaven, there is a promise of fulfilling work every day. What the hell?!

You can't ignore the influence that has on how we've developed as an economy ran by indentured servitude. The idea of being freed up enough to pursue your passions without the stress of laboring for your basic necessities is taboo and sinful for many people.

When the industrial revolution came about, people like you and I thought "Wow, maybe we won't have to work 60 hours a week anymore just to keep my family from starving!" but nope... they just monetized things that weren't previously monetized and they engineered the economy to benefit only the owners of the industries.

I don't think that will happen this time because people can share ideas globally now and the people are awake. I think this is why there has been resistance to many of these tech advancements. They are trying to delay the inevitable. Make no mistake, our grandchildren will be able to pursue the arts and live lives dedicated to their passions and helping one another. THAT is what so many people are scared to death of.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Maybe they are afraid that if we have enough free time to sit back and really think about things we will discover the bare truth and their game will be up!

I still say that there is a key hidden deep within our minds that when unlocked will reveal just what the rest of that brain is used for! And then their game is up! Because well we are co-creators with God and can turn water into wine and manifest whatever our desires are. Not to mention recognize a lie for what it is!

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Yup. I know some people from Moldova (Eastern Europe) and they also can't understand why Americans build "stick houses" from wood.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Cheap, AND uses industrial waste! Wonderful!

Anyone see anything wrong with this?

Uh, I'm not sure I want to live in a box made from industrial waste. "Industrial waste" is a bit vague, no?

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I've nicknamed these, "Oscar the Grouch Houses".

I mean, they're made of waste right?

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

dawnstar
reply to post by Cuervo

Maybe they are afraid that if we have enough free time to sit back and really think about things we will discover the bare truth and their game will be up!

I still say that there is a key hidden deep within our minds that when unlocked will reveal just what the rest of that brain is used for! And then their game is up! Because well we are co-creators with God and can turn water into wine and manifest whatever our desires are. Not to mention recognize a lie for what it is!

I agree and disagree. While we are being worked as slaves for the benefit of a privileged few who aren't satisfied with "enough", we are also creative beings who are not satisfied with sitting around doing nothing. Those who have 'talent' in the arts would rather be creating music or art, or singing, but what about people who derive satisfaction from building things, or serving others? That is their way of creating, of contributing, and it is of benefit to their sense of purpose.

Having said that, I don't think that we should be blowing 5/7 of our week on laborious tasks. The work/life balance in the U.S. is way off.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
We haven't seen anything yet.

3D printing applied to various industries, if humans last long enough, will change EVERYTHING.

It might not be too good for human to human work and industry at first but I think it could lead to amazing new at home industry and work of all kinds in the near future (and perhaps already on some fronts).

Every time I see anything about 3D printers I get so pumped lol!
edit on 16-4-2014 by Floydshayvious because: boop

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I guess religion will always come up in some form since it's the basis for a lot of things. Agreed, that the Western civilizations do place heavy emphasis on working - especially manual labor - idle hands and all of that. It's a good way to keep people distracted and you're not supposed to question either. Best to keep the masses ignorant and desperate as well, easier to control and they fight among themselves rather than questioning the way things are being run.

I don't think the Eastern idea of monks being fed by donations and allowed to pursue meditation and spirituality would fly here - I'm not going to support anyone while they just sit around and THINK most would say (I do know that they don't just sit around but garden and clean, etc. though it's not under the heavy yoke of having to work for someone else's amassing of wealth and that makes a BIG difference).

And yes, monetization - such a weird human concept - placing value on things that have no real value, especially these days - like pieces of paper or even more abstract - amounts of money stored in databases consisting of a code of 1's and 0's. The money never really exists as a tangible thing and if TPTB decided to change the form of legal tender, well, that would be bad.
Bartering was a more honest way of the exchange of goods and services. It didn't allow for exploitation quite like money does. All that matters with money is that you get a lot of it, not so much how you gained it - through swindling, gouging, exploiting...

I think it's particularly interesting that of all addictions we have today (and all addictions are bad), extreme addictions to wealth and power are the ones that are considered A-OK and are encouraged.

I'd like to think our grandchildren could enjoy a world as you describe but I'm not sure that will happen any time soon. As much as we have evolved technologically, we're still emotionally the same bunch clubbing each over the head to take what the other guy has and to show him who's boss.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Using industrial waste may not be the best idea, but this shows the potential of 3d printing.

That technology will change EVERYTHING.

Printing homes takes things to a new level of automation and as a society we really need to start trying to figure out how we're going to handle this technology responsibly. Home printers will create guns which destroy the concept of gun control while industrial printers will print homes, which will destroy the concept of homelessness.

It took the internet a bit to really start changing things. Give it another 15 years and this technology will really be catching on.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join