It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Second Source of Light detected by the Rover. Curiosity Sol 568.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
What I find interesting (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that two deprecate images in droids rent locations (presumably close to one another) show a light source. I believe we haven't seen these before- and now two in one week in a close proximity of each other!

My conspiracy side says we've entered the territory of infer ground beings. My rational side says this is possibly gas/steam etc blowing out due to the sun or what have you.

Just a bit odd I guess....!

If it were my first theory, then I start to think 'why would NASA share this?'. My second thought is 'what have NASA found that they aren't showing?'. My third thought is 'oh wow, we have seen some geysers of gas!'.

Idk. Thoughts, anyone?

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by carl6405

If an idea is stupid and preposterous, then why not point it out? That's how science works: you look at theories and throw out the ones that don't work or that clearly don't fit the observed facts. You don't say "Well the theory doesn't work but we'll use it anyway because we don't want to hurt your feelings!"

When you have people who don't understand what cosmic rays are telling you that cosmic ray strikes are impossible on the rover cameras, when we know that they are actually quite frequent, then that counts as stupid and preposterous.
edit on 16-4-2014 by Rob48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Rob48

He is referring to people that are imaginative and like to think outside the box. Do not shut those people down for that even if the ideas are "stupid".

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

I am referring to the flat out rude people on this forum that attempt to shut other people down by calling their idea stupid and preposterous.

I'd be careful with that kind of talk. It appears the OP is rather popular 'round here.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Deaf Alien
reply to post by Rob48

He is referring to people that are imaginative and like to think outside the box. Do not shut those people down for that even if the ideas are "stupid".

There is nothing wrong with thinking outside the box, as long as you accept that a lot of the time the answer is inside the box.

The problem with "outside the box" thinkers is that often, after a while, they begin to deny the existence of the box in the first place.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Rob48

Deaf Alien
reply to post by Rob48

There is nothing wrong with thinking outside the box, as long as you accept that a lot of the time the answer is inside the box.

The problem with "outside the box" thinkers is that often, after a while, they begin to deny the existence of the box in the first place.

Nailed it! Even though i'm one who wants to believe in the weirdness of everything. This rings true.

The light? I have no real idea of my own. I'm not well versed in NASA images and picking them apart. I don't think it's ridiculous to think a reflection could cause this. But... like someone said originally, if we weren't there, i doubt we'll ever know. So UFO? Go for it, it's worth a shot i'd say... Crazier things have happened on Earth!

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
With regards to the first light source, JPL's Justin Maki, said

"One possibility is that the light is the glint from a rock surface reflecting the sun."

space.com

The folks over at unmannedspaceflight think they even identified the shiny rock:

The rock is the one in the center, with a flat face which reflected the light.

www.unmannedspaceflight.com...

What this second one is, may be a cosmic ray, or maybe just a rock.

They do look different though.

The first one had a flat bottom:

This new second one doesn't:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ionwind

Hi ionwind. I mentioned that UMSF thread a couple of pages back and that reminds me to go and have a closer look at the rock theory. From a quick look through the thread it looked to me as though the rock was visible separately from the "light" in at least one of the images. But I was looking on my phone. Need to check it out properly when I get the chance.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ionwind

I suggest that you read the thread, especially the 2nd page. Cosmic ray is the most likely explanation. Stereo images make it more likely.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Could be a cracked crystal rock out there reflecting light from the sun.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Lol at the first posts straight onto the defensive

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

IMHO, which doesnt count for much, IF this were a shiney rock, methane explosion or cosmic ray, whatever...why are we just now seeing them? would they have been seen throughout the entire time that weve been on the surface of mars????

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   

And, being that the rover is called "Curiosity", why doesn't its curiosity persuade it to go over and take a look at the source?

This is the Biggest Mistery of NASA' Mars probes.

It is like to call "Eagle Eyes".... a Blind...

edit on 17-4-2014 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   

LionEatsSheep
reply to post by Arken

IMHO, which doesnt count for much, IF this were a shiney rock, methane explosion or cosmic ray, whatever...why are we just now seeing them? would they have been seen throughout the entire time that weve been on the surface of mars????

This is a very, but very good question....
Stars

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Arken

And, being that the rover is called "Curiosity", why doesn't its curiosity persuade it to go over and take a look at the source?

It is like call "Eagle Eyes".... a Blind...

Mars rovers don't have a will of their own, unfortunately (or fortunately!), all their activity has to be planned and executed by the mission control, and those activities must be justified with regards to cost, time, and scientific value.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Tucket
reply to post by Arken

Im getting tired of these "glitches/cosmic ray" photos. Why does NASA post these? Just sayin, if I was a photographer, Id want to display quality pictures to the masses. These imperfections take away from the awe/beauty of the rest of the photo. Why not just post the "unglitched" photos?

Everyone has to realize these cameras are now very old, they have been bombarded with cosmic rays years longer than they were supposed to even last!
Give NASA a break, they have done an amazing job of bringing us years and thousands of images. If they were trying to 'hide' something they simply would not release it! I can't see how anyone can get excited about a spot of light on a worn-out CCD camera that has lasted years longer than anticipated!
Read this PLEASE! www.darkerview.com...
If it on one camera and not the other one, IT'S NOT THERE!
edit on 17-4-2014 by wulff because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   

wildespace

Arken

It is like call "Eagle Eyes".... a Blind...

Mars rovers don't have a will of their own, unfortunately (or fortunately!), all their activity has to be planned and executed by the mission control, and those activities must be justified with regards to cost, time, and scientific value.

Of course they haven't.
But their "Puppet Masters" at NASA/JPL/NRO/MSSS, they have.

Any probe have a duty to solve. Their "name" have a hidden function: Omen Nomen

Pathfinder...
Spirit...
Opportunity...

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

LOL, just like ufos...always so far away that you cant see anything

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   

If someone has a stupid and preposterous idea doesn't that make it a stupid and preposterous idea?

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

You still haven't answered the question of why you intentionally left the second image out of your OP.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join