It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glow In The Dark Roads Make Debut In Netherlands

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by BuzzyWigs

Never said this tech can fix potholes Just said I would rather having potholes fixed then spend money on glow in the dark line on the road when people during the day time are playing bumper cars in broad daylight accidents happen because someone is not paying attention or being careless glow in the dark lines does nothing really to fix any problems . I think it is a waste of money looks neat but I doubt it will really save lives .

And to repaint the lines on the road is going to cost a lot of money when they have to be grinded out and reapplied there is a lot of roadways
edit on 15/4/14 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

FlyersFan
Excellent. Not only are they very cool, but I'd imagine they are much safer than just regular painted on lines. It'll be interesting to see if the accident statistics change with the new glow in the dark roads ....

Actually, just like the reflectors on US roads, they will make things less safe. The reason is that it gives the illusion of being able to see further than the headlights of your car, which in reality is not the case. Most people will slow down in the dark so they don't “out drive” their headlights, when something makes it appear that distance has been extended they will drive faster. If something is sitting on the road, and not illuminated by the stripes/reflectors, you still cannot see it until your headlights hit the object. So for example, lets say that your headlights illuminate 50 feet in front of the car, but the reflectors make it appear to be 100 feet, and there is an object at 55 feet, you will not see it, but still think the road ahead is clear for those 100 feet.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I foresee a huge highway hypnosis problem coming of this.

very fun looking though

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Mianeye
Good idea at summertime, bad idea at winter time.

But most of all, good idea for saving energy.
Why's that? Glow in the dark materials work just fine in the winter.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Way cool and way easier to see than the crappy painted lines we have here that fade after a year and might get repainted in a decade if we're luck.

Wonder if these fade.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Snow

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I wonder how well this would work under 5 - 10 cm of snow?

You know... when you need it the most?

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by gspat

It probably won't be visible underneath a lot of snow. However, it would probably be helpful during storm with heavy downpour of rain or hail.

Wonder how it would work in foggy conditions?

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
This will lead to advertising being painted on the roads!!!

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

Never said this tech can fix potholes Just said I would rather having potholes fixed then spend money on glow in the dark line on the road when people during the day time are playing bumper cars in broad daylight accidents happen because someone is not paying attention or being careless

I know you didn't say it could fix potholes. I was agreeing with you that potholes are a huge whole 'nother problem.

To the member who mentioned 'under snow' - well, the mile-marker posts and stakes that are put in help with that....
but they don't help much in a downpour (unless you need to tell the towtruck where you're stranded)...

Anyway, yes. They're both problematic. (Dark roads and potholes). In different ways.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
If the lane lines glow, then who needs head lights?

Have a bowl and take a cruise on the glowing. Sounds like fun.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Isn't that better than billboards, though? that take your eyes OFF of the road??

and to freedomSlave:
no reason to 'grind out' the old lines - just top-coat them! Easy peasy.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I would love to see this in the US!

Yellow lines don't stand out nearly well enough in certain conditions.
Very cool, very high tech looking and impressive.

s&f

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Normally every single ATS Thread will have naysayers. This seems to be one of the rare topics to which nobody objects.

Edit to Add: Just saw one naysayer about it being used for advertising. Oh well...
edit on 2014 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

BuzzyWigs

VoidHawk

BuzzyWigs
Isn't that better than billboards, though? that take your eyes OFF of the road??

Personaly I think advertising should not be anywhere near a road! Whether on a billboard or on the road, it IS a distraction.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Skyfloating
Normally every single ATS Thread will have naysayers. This seems to be one of the rare topics to which nobody objects.

Edit to Add: Just saw one naysayer about it being used for advertising. Oh well...
edit on 2014 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

You think advertising on the road is a good idea?

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

You think advertising on the road is a good idea?

You didn't ask me, but....
we're talking about glow-in-the-dark road lines, not advertising.

If you can see the road lines, your chances of crashing are reduced. If you don't have to look away from the road, well.....

yeah. Your chances of crashing are reduced.
Seems to be. To me. Just my light-bulb thinking.

If you never let anything happen...nothing will ever happen...! Just keep swimming.

edit on 4/15/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by BuzzyWigs

You didn't ask me, but....
we're talking about glow-in-the-dark road lines, not advertising.

I know, but my question was aimed at skyfloating

Glow in the dark road lines might be a good idea, I'd like to see some trials! But my concern was that it could lead to other uses, such as advertising on the road. Do you think it could lead to that? If so, do you think it would be safe?

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Doubt it would lead to advertising on the roads, other than letting drivers know about upcoming weather conditions such as snow. It is currently illegal (in California) to have your cell phone in your hands while driving and there have been a lot of don't text and drive commercials lately. Personally, I think that advertisements would be just as distracting, plus it would be against the law:
The Land Beautification act of 1695:

Controlled signs within 660 feet - this resulted in many jumbo signs being erected beyond 660 feet.
Allows only certain signs:
Directional and official signs.
On-property signs - sale, lease or activity
New signs in commercial and industrial areas consistent with the size, lighting and spacing criteria in the State/Federal agreements.
source

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
It's so pretty!!!!
This will indeed lead to night time driving hypnosis for some, but it will be a joy for me!! s&f

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join