It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glow In The Dark Roads Make Debut In Netherlands

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
This is what the future will look like. It should make road travel safer minus the people that will be hypnotized by the light. Overall it's a good use of paint for road safety.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Jennyfrenzy

My step father, has invented this photo-luminecient paint and patented it. Great stuff

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by gspat

A ha ha. Good point.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Acousticsasylum

That's pretty awesome

Does he have any insight in to the possibility of this paint being used on roads in the US?

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Wow, this would be great! I CAN'T see at night and refuse to drive, and this would help immensly for people like me with night blindness.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Yes, Very Cool..

But I think it's silly to use this as a replacement for street lights.. i say keep the lights. I cannot see these being bright enough to help out stranded motorists. The street lights help to provide light for safety as well as illumination those glowing lines won't give.

They should use Both.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I was just thinking about this last night as I drove home trying to see the damn lane markers when they are wet and it's dark out. Ticks me right off!

I then thought, well if that material in paq lite or whatever is called can glow in the dark forever (provided it gets some solar action) then why the hell can't they crumble it up and put it into paint.

Glad to see someone else has finally put it into action!

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   
What a progressive country The Netherlands is....I wish I was a citizen there. Oooh...uhhmmm....I am.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Ummm...Cool idea...I wonder what they look like from the air on a dark cloudless night...or from space.

I like the idea...I also wonder if it might help out with reflection/refraction on those rainy dark nights as well...(as in, better able to see the road boundary)...

I also like the element/temp effect that could serve as a conditions/slowdown warning, I wonder how they would be affected by the snowplows...Another point is if they might make a wet road even more hazardous (the ones in the lanes)...I'm sure we all have experienced that, wet painted road surfaces can cause one to break traction under less torque on take off than the unpainted road surface...and also reduce traction under braking...especially hard braking.

I'm sure that if there were traction modifiers...(imbedded granular substrate...IE., sand) contained in the coatings that it would counteract the loss of traction on such a surface...Until...of course the snow plow scraped them off...

Too cool

YouSir

edit on 16-4-2014 by YouSir because: I can...

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by YouSir

There's definitely pros and cons to this type of paint being used in roads. It sure is cool looking,though.

The pilot program doesn't include the temperature sensitive paint. Now this I could see being super distracting, but pretty nonetheless.

Initially the team also had plans to develop weather symbols that appeared on the road once the temperature reached a certain level. A temperature-sensitive paint mixture would be used to create giant snow flake-shaped symbols on the tarmac to warn users that the road may be icy.
The current stretch of glow in the dark road in Oss does not include this temperature sensitive technology.

linky

edit on 16-4-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Exactly what I was thinking... For those states that get a lot of snow/ice, this would be useless. Hopefully, they don't try this and turn off the street lights on our highways.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Looks safer. I bet it would also glow through a foot of snow - if charged hefore it falls. It would be really nice to see them make better large animal crossings in areas with high activity too (alternative routes). And what about roads that heat up to resist ice formation. All way in the future I'm sure.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Interesting idea in theory, but I'm curious if it holds up after a year or two. Most local roads here seem to go a long time between re-painting the markings. It probably wont see much use if it's high-maintenance.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Jennyfrenzy
reply to post by VoidHawk

Doubt it would lead to advertising on the roads, other than letting drivers know about upcoming weather conditions such as snow. It is currently illegal (in California) to have your cell phone in your hands while driving and there have been a lot of don't text and drive commercials lately. Personally, I think that advertisements would be just as distracting, plus it would be against the law:
The Land Beautification act of 1695:

Controlled signs within 660 feet - this resulted in many jumbo signs being erected beyond 660 feet.
Allows only certain signs:
Directional and official signs.
On-property signs - sale, lease or activity
New signs in commercial and industrial areas consistent with the size, lighting and spacing criteria in the State/Federal agreements.
source

I'm in the uk so laws may differ. Cell phones and driving are the same, its illegal here, and I totaly agree with it. However, I recently drove through the city of Canterbury, and painted on the roads were adverts for local car dealers, even one for a hotel. They were painted in the middle of each lane with white road marking paint. Its a very small step from that to full blown glow in the dark ads!
I drive for a living (HGV) and I've seen many accidents caused by phones or drivers simply not looking where they are going, so I'm 100% against anything thats a distraction.
I think there's money to be made with glowing road ads, I just hope the law makers can see the stupidity of allowing it to happen.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Happy to hear they are finally doing this somewhere.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

That's nuts! Advertisements have no place being painted on roads, glow in the dark ads especially.

Scary.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Jennyfrenzy

That's nuts! Advertisements have no place being painted on roads, glow in the dark ads especially.

Scary.

Agreed, if they're still there next time I go that way I'll grab some pics.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I live in an area with a lot of light pollution, and driving at night while it rains can be difficult, as far as seeing the painted-on lines.

Seems like a great idea.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

I don't see this working to replace street lamps. Would be neat for back country roads that have no lighting, I travel over the mountains and through the woods almost daily. In the snow, it may glow through with a think layer. I can tell anyone that isn't from a northern state, the plows will ruin there every winter, along with the salt working like sandpaper.

The painting on the driving surface, for the snow flakes. That is dangerous for distractions, and as well as the cars grip. When wet you can feel a car slip a little on the paint. Need that good traction, not a painted surface. I don't need to be reminded it's cold as f*** outside when i'm driving to and from work, it's just common sense.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   
This is the first step to self drive cars, the next gen paint will have sensors implanted in the paint to help guide the cars. This is just an easy way to start the tech needed for self drive cars

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join