It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: 20 injured in stabbings at Pennsylvania school

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Neopan100
are suspects usually called "actors"...not around many cops so I don't know the terminology..but I found it odd that it was stated in news that they had an actor in custody..

Please link to this said NEWS.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   

NeuronDivide
It seems a little implausible that one person could stab twenty people and not be restrained by anyone
edit on 9-4-2014 by NeuronDivide because: (no reason given)

It is part of the fear factor. I learned it in close quarters edged weapons training. Most people have at one time or another have cut themselves accidentally so they know what it feels like and are less likely to get involved when a knife or sharp object is in play. This is why people are more likely to not have a fear of guns in a similar situation....most have not been shot so they do not have the fear of what it will feel like.

Personally I am more likely to go for someone with a gun than a knife....solely because I know what it feels like to be cut and there is a healthy fear there.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   

luciddream
I'm glad no one DIED. and i hope they have a CHANCE at the surgery.

Only if another weapon was used. Would have been 20 graves.

This is why I don't support the argument that assault weapons are in any way similar or comparable.

While I agree that something is dangerous in the hands of a dangerous person, and people will kill using other methods if assault rifles were not available to them, but the fact is that more people can be murdered with far greater ease thanks to a weapon that has no useful place in a modern society.

An assault rifle is a weapon of war, a knife is a tool for cutting. These are two very different things. One has a useful place in our lives, the other has no useful place in a decent society.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

It's easy to kill with a magazine or packet of paper 50 pages or so.
I don't think some realize just how easy!

But that is the point anything can be used as a weapon, it's INTENT that makes an item a weapon.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
www.wtae.com...

"There is an actor in custody. Murrysville police are in the process of interviewing him," said Dan Stevens, the county's deputy emergency management coordinator. The suspect has not been publicly identified yet. The stabbings happened in numerous classrooms throughout the building before classes had begun for the day, Stevens said.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Yes, one thread here in B A N and another elsewhere is usually okay. If others pop up it would help if members alert staff so they can be closed and members redirected to this one and/or the OCE one.

Getting back to the main topic, which is the kids who've been attacked: for those of you who pray, please offer a prayer for them. Some of them have life-threatening injuries and all of them and their families have been traumatized. If you don't pray, then please send some positive thoughts their way.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Rocker2013

An assault rifle is a weapon of war, a knife is a tool for cutting. These are two very different things. One has a useful place in our lives, the other has no useful place in a decent society.

Your knife is your last line of defense...shy of grabbing a rock or stick. A tool can have multiple uses. Its how you use the tool...not the tool its self. I consider a gun to be a tool too. Its a tool for feeding yourself and your family, as well as protecting the same.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Rocker2013

luciddream
I'm glad no one DIED. and i hope they have a CHANCE at the surgery.

Only if another weapon was used. Would have been 20 graves.

This is why I don't support the argument that assault weapons are in any way similar or comparable.

While I agree that something is dangerous in the hands of a dangerous person, and people will kill using other methods if assault rifles were not available to them, but the fact is that more people can be murdered with far greater ease thanks to a weapon that has no useful place in a modern society.

But this story is about a sharp weapon being used to stab, not a gun. Guess it depends on the knife you are talking about....some are made solely for fighting and killing with very singular purposed such as severing the spine or arterial opening. Plenty of knives are made specifically for killing.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

Thanks. Seems what they mean by actor is someone who acted out the crime. Not that it was a play or anything, but that they are the ones who took the actions.

Maybe that makes more sense?

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

sulaw
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Knives, guns.. maybe whats in the hands isn't the problem, maybe its just Americans?

What a naive POV for anyone to say. America has problem's sir/ma'am but it's not just an "American" problem. Point your finger elsewhere, take off your blinders that procure such arrogant statements and realize facathta like this happens world wide, America just blasts it through the MSM.

I think its pretty frustrating issue when the country claims to be the best in the world, who holds monopoly on Freedom, Opportunity, clean drinking water, education, cable TV, trains, cars,...

what other ignorant things do they spout? i don't have the list of things only America have!
edit on 4/9/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   

That just made me think of this:

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

AnteBellum

But that is the point anything can be used as a weapon, it's INTENT that makes an item a weapon.

If there are two people fighting.

One have a Gun, and the other have a stack of paper.

Ill bet on the guy with the gun.

----

Yes anything can be used as a weapon, however, the lethality varies.

Some can take hours to kill one person, in a close combat, like a stack of papers! and then there are some that takes micro seconds, from far to kill 50 people..

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Good movie

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Vasa Croe
But this story is about a sharp weapon being used to stab, not a gun. Guess it depends on the knife you are talking about....some are made solely for fighting and killing with very singular purposed such as severing the spine or arterial opening. Plenty of knives are made specifically for killing.

Agreed. There are a lot of knives on the market that are suitable for few purposes other than self-defense.

Futhermore, some will try to minimize this because 'its just a knife' and luckily, there may not be fatalites. But how many will come out of this incident with life-altering physical injuries? Probably several of them. Mental and emotional damage? Most all of them. But its just a knife, a tool...

(Sitting here shaking my head...)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

luciddream

AnteBellum

If there are two people fighting.

One have a Gun, and the other have a stack of paper.

Ill bet on the guy with the gun.

----

Yes anything can be used as a weapon, however, the lethality varies.

Some can take hours to kill one person, in a close combat, like a stack of papers! and then there are some that takes micro seconds, from far to kill 50 people..

Lethal ability of one weapon to another greatly varies by the training of the user and the distance in which the fight occurs. Sure you can get lucky without training, but in any of the cases of mass shootings, look at how many bullets were expended versus how many hit a target.

link   
reply to post by luciddream

I wasn't implying the efficacy of paper being used vs. a gun. Just how these incidents often tend to make officials react by doing strange things. Such as expelling a student for pointing a chicken finger at someone.

link   

vor78
But its just a knife, a tool...

It is just a tool.....its how you use the tool. Its the persons intent. Should we ban staplers and nail guns as well? How about shovels or even my socket wrench? The only thing i use it for is turning nuts and bolts.....and hitting the said auto when things go wrong.
edit on 4/9/2014 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   

shaneslaughta

vor78

It is just a tool.....its how you use the tool. Its the persons intent. Should we ban staplers and nail guns as well? How about shovels or even my socket wrench?

I agree with you. It IS just a tool. But there's an attempt to differentiate between one implement and another in these incidents, and I don't think that makes much sense. Both are easily capable of inflicting serious or fatal wounds in the hands of a person with ill-intent, and its those people who should be the focus, not the means they may use, because as we've seen, they'll find a means regardless of regulations or bans.

My mistake for not clarifying.
edit on 9-4-2014 by vor78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   

shaneslaughta

vor78

It is just a tool.....its how you use the tool. Its the persons intent. Should we ban staplers and nail guns as well? How about shovels or even my socket wrench? The only thing i use it for is turning nuts and bolts.....and hitting the said auto when things go wrong.
edit on 4/9/2014 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

Your poor defenseless automobile. You should be put away. PETA....People for the Ethical Treatment of Automobiles will be knocking on your door soon....LOL

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
They said there was a school resource officer on duty and he 'acted' accordingly, whatever that means.
I have reason to believe the 'actor' walked down the hall slicing people as they were unaware of it. Do not quote me on that I am not sure. But it would explain how so many got hurt, sometimes it's hard to know when your cut with a very sharp object.

I feel very bad for the parents and students right now, if it were my kids I would be in war mode trying to get to the school.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join