It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALL MEMBERS: The Return of the Political Mud-Pit on AboveTopSecret.com

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Announcing The Return of The Political Mud-Pit on ATS!

As long-time members will know, we've been doing our best to "fight the good fight" of keeping political debate civil and on-point.

As even longer-term old-timers might remember, we once had an "anything goes" fight-club of sorts, called The Political Mud-Pit where everything short of real-life threats and vulgarities was allowed.

You Have Changed

By "you," I refer to the rhetorical you, society in general -- especially in the United States. There is an irresistible urge, felt by many, to inject intensely partisan politics into nearly any contemporary topic. A large number of you will certainly know my opinions about that, but my personal ramblings are not for this thread.

ATS Will Try Changing With You

We've had several discussions amongst our staff about this issue, and most recently, the concern that if we continue to "crack-down" on partisan trolling, baiting, and off-topic politics, ATS may turn into a veritable ghost town.

Late in his post-political life, one of my personal heroes, Daniel Patrick Moynihan, said the following in response to an interview question about the increase of rancor in political debate: "What is not discussed, will not be advanced." I don't recall the exact words of his elaboration, but it was along the lines of; even if the leftist hates the conservative, and visa-versa, and it shows in the language of their debate, at least there is a debate. Sage words.

Mud-Pit Rules Are Now Active in the Political Mud-Pit Forum

So for those who strongly desire a tolerance of more intense political/partisan debate here on ATS, you may do so in the Political Mud-Pit forum.

Following a brief grace-period to ensure all members are aware of the new system, any political trolling, baiting, name-calling, or derailing of threads by injecting politics into non-political topics in any other ATS forum, are subject to immediate posting bans, or worse.

Mud-Pit Rules and Guidelines

The rules and guidelines are simple, basically just two things to remember in addition to common-sense avoidance of vulgarities and personal threats:

Don't throw mud outside of the political mud pit forum.

If you go into the Political Mud-Pit forum, expect to get dirty.

Bam. Easy. Simple.

This… could… work…

That should cover it, but here are some common-sense explanations of how it all should work.

1) Don't throw mud outside of the political mud pit forums.

If you're wandering about ATS, and find a discussion that throttles your political angst, and really really want to start casting harsh aspersions in the direction of one or more political ideologies:

YOU CAN CREATE A NEW THREAD: Quote the post that inspired your ire, link to the non-mud-pit ATS thread, and start a new thread in the Political Mud-Pit forum, making certain not to call-out or otherwise throw mud at any ATS member in the original thread outside the Mud-Pit.

2) It's bad-form throw mud at someone who's not throwing mud.

Even in the Political Mud-Pit forum, there will probably be someone attempting to make a valid point who does so without rancor, name-calling, or other political mud.

Perhaps the topic and direction of discussion is different enough from other threads on ATS that they felt compelled to get involved.

If you can respond without throwing mud, everyone will think better of you… but there is no requirement to put down the mud when you respond.

3) Everything but vulgarities and threats are "tolerated."

We've come to accept that many feel the "political stakes" are so high, that intense debate is necessary, and very often name-calling, baiting, and activity we've previously classified as "Political Trolling" are simply part of the process. Have at. But don't come running to us if someone throws mud harder than you, or hides rocks in their pile of mud.

And to avoid further confusion; restricted topics such as personal drug use, hacking, etc. are still not allowed in the Mud-Pit. Politics only please.

4) For all members uninterested in the Mud-Pit

By now you must be a little frustrated with the sniping, trolling, and T&C side-stepping with name-calling in political threads throughout ATS. This initiative is intended to serve two purposes:

1) Reduce the level of political rancor in all threads outside the Mud-Pit

2) Give those ATS members who are intensely political, a means to express their intensity.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

That's awesome!

The
"Jerry Springer"
section of ATS!

I shall gather my popcorn and enjoy some good shows!

edit on 7-4-2014 by Darkblade71 because: typonese, I speak it fluently

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
How do we know this isn't a clever trap?

Kidding of course, just remember the slide into the abyss will be much easier if the ground is muddy.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Well...Hmmm....

This should be interesting.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I don't know if I should be happy this forum was created, or sad that it had to be created. Maybe a bit of both lol.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I better get a big bottle of aspirin ready.

On a serious note maybe this will let people "get it out" and maybe, if only a few, get over it.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I like this idea, but really do we need another forum? I love the Jerry Springer approach though.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MessageforAll

The "Political Rivalry" forum was simply renamed, since we already tolerated a bit more intensity there.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
While such a type of forum isnt exactly up to my own "standards" for participation (I really like respect..), I will undoubtedly be tuning in a la Jerry Springer. At least a couple times.

That said, I am half-expecting it to be no different than it ever was just less removed posts.

I am thinking we will just seeing the same fight (My propaganda and bias are bigger than yours!) playing out in a less subtle manner.

In a paradox of sorts though, I loathe censorship.. so in that respect, I like the decision. It will make it easier to tell what people are really thinking.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I definitely see the logic behind the 'new' forum.

A release valve to keep their other ones 'cleaner'.

I won't be participating though.

I was told long ago. Once a debate goes personal it's lost by the slinger.

I work too hard as it is to not devolve in to pettiness.

Sometimes I succeed.

Sometimes I don't.

Someday I hope to get it right.
edit on 7-4-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Good move.
I like reasoned and respectful debate - but as with anyone with a bit of passion and conviction I enjoy taking the gloves off and having a good old fashioned set to every now and then.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Breaks out his rarely used these days hipwaders....

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
btw, the Forum page has all the political forums under the header: Political Mud-Pit Forums

Might want to un-pit some of those?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
On second thought we could call it the Political Mosh-pit"

Maybe not....

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Thanks this is perfect for people like me who can not help themselves and then feel bad when posts get pulled. For some reason politics just get me going???????

I actually post in the survival forum as a vacation of sorts. Also I would send this out maybe as a message to all.
edit on 7-4-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

The "old ATS" banned "Tinkerbell" and preached left vs. right is tactic used by TPTB to keep us from attacking them.

The "new ATS" forget what you slowly learned and get rid of "Tinkerbell" yourselves...

Shocking...

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Love IT !!!

I'm *R-e-a-d-y*

The debates will be excellent.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

TKDRL
I don't know if I should be happy this forum was created, or sad that it had to be created. Maybe a bit of both lol.

My thoughts exactly. But if political trolling continues across the boards, I have no use for ATS. I can see that anywhere on the Internet. The reason I'm a member here is because of the moderation and T&C.

So, I'm glad to read this. Good luck SO. I hope it works for everyone!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

My question is:

Can this forum be used for other mud-slinging?
I mean like oh I don't know...paranormal mud-slinging? lol
Or does it have to be political?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Granite

The "old ATS" banned "Tinkerbell" and preached left vs. right is tactic used by TPTB to keep us from attacking them.

The "new ATS" forget what you slowly learned and get rid of "Tinkerbell" yourselves...

Shocking...

I am not really catching you could you elaborate?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join