It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember XP Users! Just 2 Days Left Until XP Goes Under!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Who among ATS still uses Windows XP? One of the Best Windows so far ever made and now reading the fine line basicly means Death! Okay Mods, if this needs to be moved, please don't. Many of us Still Use Windows XP!

So fellow XP users! What do we do now? Not only will XP be unable to update itself in just 2 days, have you noticed Other programs that are reflecting the same thing? Has your screen lately been nothing but Notices? What a Sad April it will be!

How many of you XP users followed the link to the Why and How and in what ways you could recover only to find out you should just buy another computer! Plainly put really since most web pages will follow suit, programs will no longer be compatable with XP. Might as well say the Death Of XP and keep that clear so all of us could really understand what is being said.

As I see it, Windows 7 and now 8.1 became usless to the little juy since nothing was actually added but colors and touching your screen. Now some might go about saying it does this and that also, Really? At what cost did you upgrade and find out it was nothing but an Add-On to the existing XP?

So ATS users of XP. Who among you have found a way out of this mess? Hopefully in 2 days turning on your computer it don't end up in getting a Blue Screen, your insurance payment is due, and nothing will not work, period. Would be a bad day in just over 2 days left. Yet if using Windows 95; lol it still works somewhat so it can't be all that bad right?

Since I haven't found and storyes about XP ending on ATS this is where one could come and look into any other ways to keep your XP running! Please list whatever ideas one may have to work things out for us Lovers of XP. Sure I could just take the labtop out and play with Windows 7. Run out and buy a desktop upgrade and such, why waste money?

Surely their is a way to ride XP to the End, Right? Love to hear your Ideas, tricks and tweeks out there for XP!

Thanks for Your Time and Ideas for us XP Users!

Peace

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by infoseeker26754

I use xp on a computer not hooked up to the internet. Complete stand alone just for autocad and adobe/corel, etc.
Simply it's for work and the programs/files I have on it work better then the one I'm on now.

I was curious, do you think this is going to affect this system also?

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

hmm.. i've got XP on my laptop (this is someone else's computer)
(same deal as you, Ante.. completely off the 'net)
thanks for the reminder

was still using win98 a few years back..
edit on 6-4-2014 by UNIT76 because: MSDOS 5.3

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I'd forgotten all about this. Luckily, my main PC is Vista, but the PC behind me, what I use daily for all my research stuff is XP. I was under the impression nothing would really, drastically change. Your PC will still run and work perfectly well, but just won't have the regular updates for security and things.

Hopefully, if your only PC is XP, you get some good advice from users what to do.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

infoseeker26754

Since I haven't found and storyes about XP ending

XP isnt "ending". Its from what I gather from your post not going to be updated actively anymore, just like all the other older OSs after about 10 years or more from launch.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
A few weeks ago, I authored a thread that some of you may have missed:

Still using Windows XP? Worried about the April 8, 2014 deadline? Look here.

It has some great information on the upcoming deadline.

In a nutshell, nothing is going to happen, and the world isn't going to end. You just won't get security updates or receive tech support. That's all.

Windows XP will still continue to work as normal, and you'll still be able to continue to install it on other computers, activate it, and update it to all existing updates.

edit on 6-4-2014 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Thanx again _BoneZ_!

AB

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

That's what we're here for.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
XP ending?

Hell we have a touch screen press fit machine running on the good old windows 3.11. What a joyish thing it is too. Fast and furious. Technical support has updated it so it is booting solid state. If 3.11 is alive and kicking, why would xp stop all the sudden?

BTW: when 98 came out to replace 95.. as with xp replacing 98, the same discussions came and went. I bet the same will happen when 8.1 will get replaced by Windows TY.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

I really can not say. I for one read things differently so it looks like a complete Shutoff for XP. Windows 7 sales were not too good, although 8 being the touch screen effect; cats love my mouse sometimes let them play and strange somethings they even click to something interesting!

Lets hope this is not the case. Yet in history we distroy what is working, seems it keeps sales down so somehow it has to be something bad. Windows 95 and XP are the forfathers, by taking them out, sales will go up and everyone will be able to steal or at least look at any info being protected.

Remember the Paper Reduction Act? Until that was passed nobody knew anything about you, now just typing ones name and a small fee. AnyOne can know your feet size, what you do and where you spend your time.

Lets hope someone comes with the good News and posts some good info. I'm at a lost myself, only I will try to make XP stay alive the best I can. Yet 2 weeks ago, things were find until the updates. Now things flash at the get go, all going to the same page about XP and how one can recover.

More like buying if I can say so myself!

Peace

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
A sensible question those still using just Windows XP,have you actually tried later versions of Windows yet? I used to think the same way when anything new came out,I had got so used to the old what ever it was that I just didn't want change.Vista came out and I gave it a try,thought it was crap so went back to XP again and was happy for some years afterwards.I had to reinstall XP a couple of times a year to keep it running boxfresh smooth,but got used to this routine and never gave it a second thought.
Then Windows 7 came out,and it actually worked in a way that Vista never did.I've had the current install of 7 running unaltered (apart from the MS updates) in my current laptop for about four and a half years now,and to my eyes it's still as fast as the day I bought and first used it.This is something that XP would never ever do when I used it.Very high maintenance for XP against zero manual maintenance for 7,it just works and carries on working.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I needed a new computer anyway and got myself windows 8.1 which is wicked fast, bright with vivid colors...I LOVE it! It is a touch screen, but I use my mouse with it.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by UNIT76

Back in 2012, decided to buy a laptop on Ebay. Used and drive wiped clean and installed Windows 7. Added some mem, and left charged, just in case. It still left untouched today!

If anything, go refurbished or repaired before getting something new. Ebay is a great place to buy used stuff, or your towns pawnshop. Most new stuff, programs have bugs and more time fixing them are a pain anyways. Getting one a few years old, bugs worked out is far better rushing to get the top of the line computer.

If I could get a 386x2; that old! To work, slow but learned alot back in the days computers were not in school. Surely XP would have some hidden legs out there to be found.

Peace

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Not sure I understand the problem.
I have six active xp machines at home and haven't had any malware/trojan/spyware/virus/whatever on any of them
In the last 9 years. And 2 of them are being used by 11 year old boys. What is going to happen
to my computers in a couple of days? What unspeakable horrors shall overtake my humble home network?
My worst fear is that itunes shall be installed on them without permission. Heaven forbid!
No, I am not changing to linux, also have two machines running centOs, tried ubunto, it's horrible, especially
with its bogus cloud junk.
Nope, I'll be sticking with xp till I need to upgrade hardware.
Yes at work I have win 7, it's ok, has its problems, but is usable and have a windows 8.1 tablet.
Long live win xp!

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MissBeck

Even I forgotten myself until the pop-up lately! Another countdown clock running so we all know or can plan on something being tossed into the mix.

As for having but one computer, no. Parts to build an AI
if so wanted! Many do not know this but a small battery actually runs your computer at the get go. It being dead, dated, times go way back in time. Before you notice it, half of your work is written in the past that you did today!

I love the trash people toss out! For 2.99$ its like new, runs great and never a problem! One thing people should know though. Do take out a hammer and smash your hard drive with it! Could use a drive cleaned, just do it more then twice! Sell the rest for parts and use that for the next one you might be buying!

Then your info is safe, although the hammer is the best way to go!

Peace

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

It's not ending, although if one would read the page having a clock does seem to be misleading!

Whos ready to run out buying a new one after reading that page?

Peace

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Just make sure if on XP to have plenty of free and paid for anti virus apps, and registry cleaners, there are still nasty items floating around in the ether I have vista on this PC and 5 assorted anti virus programs, plus when uploading to my separate hard drive I run all the virus software, and unplug the internet first, no harm in being paranoid!!

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

As I see it, Windows 7 and now 8.1 became usless to the little juy since nothing was actually added but colors and touching your screen.

What on earth do you mean by this?

As someone who holds Microsoft Certified Professional qualifications in Windows XP and Windows 7 i can tell there there is a HUGE difference between the two.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

infoseeker26754
I for one read things differently so it looks like a complete Shutoff for XP.

That will most-certainly not be the case. Follow the link I posted above, or visit Microsoft's FAQ's here:

www.microsoft.com...

infoseeker26754
Windows 7 sales were not too good, although 8 being the touch screen effect

Windows 7 sales were actually great. Here's a recent graph of the percentage of operating system usage:

Windows 7 is #1 with XP being #2. As a techie myself, I've been recommending that unless you have a touch-screen, Windows 8.1 isn't much of an upgrade from Windows 7.

My Windows 7 PC's have been running perfectly stable and smooth, never a blue-screen, and all are super-fast. I also dual-boot Linux Mint, and as soon as gaming is fully implemented and native in Linux, bye bye Microshaft.

infoseeker26754
Lets hope someone comes with the good News and posts some good info.

I did. A few posts up.

edit on 6-4-2014 by _BoneZ_ because: sp

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

I might have missed that one, Sorry! It just the same as 1999, being the clocks really. I for one just wanted people to know not to rush and go buy another computer just yet.

Plus betting the next few months sales will go up on computers, unaware that XP is fine for now. Except afew compatible issues, okay! Sometimes closing one door, people follow the door that opens.

Surely companys will follow suit and update their Windows due to the fear it open game for XP. Now if someone knows a program to help XP users along would ease the sorrow some of us are having!

Peace

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join