It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Still using Windows XP? Worried about the April 8, 2014 deadline? Look here.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

There are still many rumors flying around that when Microsoft stops support of Windows XP on April 8, 2014, that everyone's PC will explode, or the world will come to an end, or that the internet will just disappear.

*** Breaking News ***

That's not going to happen.

In actuality, after April 8 you will still be able to install, activate, and use Windows XP like you always have been able to. You will also be able to update XP using Windows Update and still receive all existing security fixes, patches, and service packs.

The only thing that's changing is there will be no future security fixes or patches, and there will be no future technical support for Windows XP after April 8, 2014.

You will still be able to use XP like normal, you will still be able to access the internet like normal.

Now having said that, if you continue to use the internet after April 8 on Windows XP, you could exponentially be setting yourself up to be attacked or worse.

Between July 2012 and July 2013, 45 security updates were handed out to Windows XP users, 30 of which also affected Windows 7 and Windows 8 users. That means that many security flaws affect all versions of Windows.

Therefore, after April 8, any security update that comes out for Windows 7 or 8 could also affect XP. But XP will no longer receive updates. That will forever leave XP open to attack since an attacker can reverse-engineer the security patch to discover the security hole.

So, while the internet won't stop and the world won't come to an end for XP users after April 8, it is advised to limit or stop using the internet after that date if you have any secure information on your Windows XP machine that you want to keep protected.

For more information, you can visit Microsoft's FAQ's concerning the end of XP support here:

www.microsoft.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Thanks for the reminder!

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Long time worshiper of XP, a fantastic OS.

However, after a few chats with a few folks on ats (mainly verschicter) I decided to give Linux Mint a try. I'm hooked!
For anyone worried about how secure XP might be I'd say go download Linux Mint, I got the KDE version. Its FREE!!!!!!! and its easy to install. I installed from a USB stick but you can get a DVD version too. It comes with its own version of Office (compatible with M$ office), and there's a ton of completely free software too.
I've installed every version of windows 100's of times and I have to admit that Mint was the easiest. After install everything just worked! Didnt need to download any drivers!

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

I dual-boot Windows 7 and Mint 16 on my server PC. It's a very capable OS with most drivers already included in the installation. And Linux Mint is the best version of Linux for Windows users to migrate to as it's the closest thing Linux has to how Windows looks at feels.

There are even themes to make Linux Mint look and feel more like Windows.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I can imagine that there are probably quite a few people who still use XP. I use Unix-based systems the majority of the time, but I like to keep a windows machine, mainly for games. And I XP Black, or a stripped-down version of XP, on that system. I think XP is superior to the other releases in many instances, mainly because the other Windows releases seem too "bloated."

I had not even heard anything regarding this upcoming date, although I don't update XP at all. I'm not worried about security on that particular machine, since as I said it is mostly for stuff that I absolutely cannot do with Linux, which is usually just running specific pieces of software...some of which still can be run on Linux of course. Does anyone here still use XP? I suppose there are still quite a few people who still have a computer that came with XP, and thus they still use it, and then there are some who just prefer it. Interesting information you've brought to my attention anyway, so thanks.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
XP still has a huge market share in the business world. Many businesses just dont want the hassle and expense of buying new software and retraining staff to use any other system.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   

_BoneZ_
reply to post by VoidHawk

I dual-boot Windows 7 and Mint 16 on my server PC. It's a very capable OS with most drivers already included in the installation. And Linux Mint is the best version of Linux for Windows users to migrate to as it's the closest thing Linux has to how Windows looks at feels.

There are even themes to make Linux Mint look and feel more like Windows.

I went down the dual boot road at first, but after a while I realised I rarely went back to xp, so now I have xp in a virtual box for those times when I need it.
I agree Mint is much like windows. What I found with the KDE version was that I could set up my desktop to resemble almost any OS.
The only problem I've had with mint is my ancient steampowered printer, sadly mint refuses to talk to it

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

PhoenixOD
XP still has a huge market share in the business world. Many businesses just dont want the hassle and expense of buying new software and retraining staff to use any other system.

And why should they, xp does what they need, and security is handled by their firewalls so they wont suffer from the lack of updates, but most home users have no knowledge of fire walls so will end up being infected.
I'd still be using xp if I hadn't bothered to try out mint.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Yeah but what about all of us still using Windows 98?

Just kidding. I really don't want to have to change my OS from XP to Linux (yeah lazy) but I don't want to be exploited by all the new possible hacks either. Maybe MS is going to have to blink on this simply due to the vast professional user base. Then again they seem pretty adamant about encouraging an OS update. This may cost them.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Bassago
reply to post by _BoneZ_

This may cost them.

It already has, I switched to Linux, and whenever anyone asks me to repair their comp I talk them into switching to linux too. Reason being is I dont like being bullied into buying a new OS. If there new offering is any good they shouldn't need to force us to buy it. There was a time I had respect for MS, but not anymore.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Bassago

I still have my Windows 98 SE disk tucked away for all eternity.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

_BoneZ_

Bassago

I still have my Windows 98 SE disk tucked away for all eternity.

Oh yeah, well I'll see that 98SE disk and raise you a Window for Workgroups 3.11 (on 7 floppies.)

Don't make me look for my old DOS disks.

Sorry, back on topic. So, currently I'm behind two (remedial) hardware firewalls and a nice software firewall. Still don't think that's going to save anyone from say a browser exploit that can then effect an OS exploit once XP expires.

I'll have to look into that Linux build you're all discussing. I have a nice version of Novell Suse Linux Pro but don't trust my Linux firewall configuration expertise to keep it secure.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

_BoneZ_

There are still many rumors flying around that when Microsoft stops support of Windows XP on April 8, 2014, that everyone's PC will explode, or the world will come to an end, or that the internet will just disappear.

"That's not going to happen".

What do you mean its not going to happen...

That kind of attitude is offensive & will not be tolerated around here ....

edit on 14-3-2014 by Misinformation because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Bassago
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Just kidding. I really don't want to have to change my OS from XP to Linux (yeah lazy) but I don't want to be exploited by all the new possible hacks either. Maybe MS is going to have to blink on this simply due to the vast professional user base. Then again they seem pretty adamant about encouraging an OS update. This may cost them.

Then go for a Linux live CD. One of the awesome things about Linux is that you can just download a version, burn it to CD and then reboot your computer into Linux and it runs off the CD and uses your RAM. Just make sure your bios is set to boot off your CD drive before the hard drive.

That way you can internet with Linux and still use win-doze for everything else. You can also partition and have a dual OS.

I've been windows free for 8 years now.
edit on 14-3-2014 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
But but, I've never ever had windows updates on since I installed XP and guess what?
I've haven't witness any security flaws compared to other XP users with updates on...

Let me guess, security updates are for microsoft and not for the users.
At least that's what I've been thinking for a couples years now.

XP is the best windows with under 4-8 GB of ram...vista, 7 and 8 don't come close when it comes to speed.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

theMediator
Let me guess, security updates are for microsoft and not for the users.
At least that's what I've been thinking for a couples years now.
One reason the security thing is a scam is what they are basically saying is you always have to have the latest security updates, which means their new products have just as many if not more security flaws as the old products. I suspect more because the "tires have been kicked" more on the older products, and it takes time to find the security flaws on all the new products.

However if a specific security flaw is known and you haven't patched it, your PC could be vulnerable to attack, and just because it hasn't been attacked doesn't mean the vulnerability isn't there. Using good hardware and software firewalls can actually thwart a lot of potential attacks if you know how to configure them.

XP is the best windows with under 4-8 GB of ram...vista, 7 and 8 don't come close when it comes to speed.
Yes I wasn't impressed with Windows 7 or Vista and wasn't compelled to "upgrade". I'll probably use XP for a while without the support in spite of any security risks which I can minimize, and if I do change OS it will probably be to Linux instead of Windows 8, 9 or 10 or whatever they are selling when I decide to change.

The biggest security scam was with adobe acrobat when they were pressuring people to upgrade to later versions for security reasons when I knew for certain the older version 5 I was using was way more secure, because it didn't have all the extra fancy stuff added that created all the security vulnerabilities in the first place. It's mostly just a scam to generate a revenue stream by trying to get fearful people to constantly upgrade to the latest version of everything....if they can't sell you on newer better features, then they will try to sell you on "fear" of "security", but I can't buy this argument because what they are admitting is their new products are never any more secure than the old ones because as soon as they come out with a newer version, the new one you just upgraded to for security is supposedly no longer "secure". Sure there are some real issues with security, but there is a lot of hype too.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

i have a 5 1/4" floppy with TRSDOS on it. I think its ca 1986(ish)

ETA: i may dig it out. its in the garage. My son would get a kick out of it. I have a few old floppys. I think the trsdos was on 2 disks. I only have 1. And the very first Madden that we played on a 386sx machine. Still have the original game, but no box for it.
edit on 3/16/2014 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

i have a 5 1/4" floppy with TRSDOS on it. I think its ca 1986(ish)

Oh man do I remember that one. First learned programming in Basic on the Trash 80 back in college.

It actually inspired my first PC purchase, Commodore VIC20 with a tape drive and 300 baud modem. Thought I was hot stuff so upgraded to the Commodore 64 and a 1200 baud.

Never had to install any security updates on those babies.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

The 7th graders were stuck on the TRS80's. We did basic and pascal programming on it. we had 4 machines that ran msdos, but the 8th graders got to use those mostly. I hung around with a friend that had a custom built pc at home. and we screwed around with various games and what not. He also had a commodore 64 that we played quite a bit on. Once the Nintendo came out, the commodore got stuck in the closet. The msdos PC, though, we still played with a lot.

But we were pretty good programmers. Won a bunch of money for the school to upgrade the computer lab and get rid of the trs80's. The basic programming skills I learned back then have been critical to me "making it" without going to college. I think boolean math should be taught as a separate course for the purpose of improving logic and reasoning skills. When i interview, i have a few questions I use to determine a persons exposure to boolean algebraic concepts.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

If you ever interview me you should ask to see some of my old flowcharts. I'd write these humungous programs and after debugging them then make the flowchart. They were terrible to behold and my instructors gave up. Glad no psychiatrists ever saw them or I'm sure they'd have many more questions.

Doubt I'll drop XP until this laptop gives up the ghost, updates or not. Nothing on here to interest anyway and I use a separate machine that's not connected to any network any other stuff.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join