It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember XP Users! Just 2 Days Left Until XP Goes Under!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I'm sure I read on a tech site that the British government has paid Microsoft to continue support and security updates for another year,not that I've used XP since the very first day of Windows 7 came out.
dottech.org...

Yip,here it is at the above link.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by infoseeker26754

I better get this message out quick before dooms day .XP user her

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by D.Wolf

Hey! lol

Still have Windows 3.0 floppys disks! Of course forgot to save the drive to use them! I have heard it was best to start with 3.1, add 95, then XP Windows.

Is that actually True?

Peace

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

e sorry about that . I guess time will tell and yea I wish now I had kept 95 but a friend needed it for his sound studio and I liked XP ...Oh well if I must I will ....peace

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I would have also been in this boat and would have most liklly have just kept on using XP if my old tower had not died.
As it is, however I am now using an ancient but nice dell laptop that I had no choice but to try linux on.
I went with Mint Cinnamon and after a painless install , and seeing how complete the OS is , I am more than happy with it and really never expect to go back to windows anything .
desktoplinuxreviews.com...

edit on 6-4-2014 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

_BoneZ_
A few weeks ago, I authored a thread that some of you may have missed:

Still using Windows XP? Worried about the April 8, 2014 deadline? Look here.

It has some great information on the upcoming deadline.

In a nutshell, nothing is going to happen, and the world isn't going to end. You just won't get security updates or receive tech support. That's all.

Windows XP will still continue to work as normal, and you'll still be able to continue to install it on other computers, activate it, and update it to all existing updates.

That is about it! I have XP-pro and I got e-mails from Microsoft as well as servers..well AOL anyway, they both include the bit where it says something like, you will need to [purchase] the latest plug and play in the car Microsoft 8.1 whatever. They can bugger off, they ain't gonna snoop on Em Wah.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

You forgot Windows 98 and 98SE (best version of 98). But no, they were all their own operating systems.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Imagewerx

I bought a core of Windows 7. legal. No BS crap added to my unused laptop. Best way to go, want other programs then get the free download. Buy windows with all the free Try First stuff and various things start flashing.

Click me, try me, now buy me! Next thing your have to do is clean out your Reg! Core is the best way to go, no extra crap in your system and get what you want, when you want it. Looks like its time to play with the laptop.

Yet I'm blind and the screen is so small!

Peace

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MissBeck

Its funny what you say because I shut off my security and never went for upgrades for my XP ...time will tell :>) It's been chuging along for 3 years now

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

YOU are my new hero man ...:>)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I tell ya, computers have gone to hell ever since they went past punchcards and vacuum tubes!

Just upgrade already. Purchasing a computer to begin with was a sort of unspoken understanding that your going to be progressing with the times...so upgrade already (unless you purchased a computer for a specific task and its doing that just fine..then whats the worry if it still does as it needs to do).

I have Win 8.1 and after a bit of a learning curve (and a minor mod to bring back the start button and get rid of the opening metro screen) it works fine. Is it a dramatic upgrade from win 7? not really..no..I didn't upgrade though, my previous harddrive crashed and I had to buy a new one..the OS was part of some package deal by the bones computer I bought so couldn't get a backup disk..so I simply had to buy new...might as well get the latest/greatest.

And yeah, once you get it, spend a few hours learning all the new features (and frustratingly changed names of old features), then your good, all caught up, etc.

I liked XP, when it was the OS that developers targetted.
As an avid gamer, I need to remain within the realm of updated OSs however...get the most out of my machine.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

I'm not sure if mine updates at all?
It was an old machine I too bought off ebay. When I say old, I mean it belonged to Moses.

It only has 512MB!
I do actually have a Vista CD I tried to upgrade it with, but there wasn't enough space.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by snrRog

There are no problems unless ever platform follows suit. Worst case it will end up running slower, thats all.

Wanted other XP users reading the countdown page, Not to go run out buying a new computer just yet. Then again, might not be so bad skipping 7 and go to 8.1 although you would need to touch your computer, buy new stuff in order to touch it!

Other then many days to relearn, money if you have it. Spend it! For us cheap users out there, best to allow the ones with money to work out the bugs! lol Then buy if needed. Fine line in being cheap and playing smart then buying and finding out you just bought some crap that needs work later on.

Plan on using XP as long as one can!

Peace

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

You do what you've done everyday, you don't worry about it. It's mostly just scare tactics, trying to get people to pay up for something they don't want. I guess MS is taking it's cues from Obamacare now.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Nothing will happen with XP systems, They just wont get any updates which actually means for starters is any software you have installed wont run the risk of breaking due to an update from windows. Hackers most likely will not worry about trying to break into XP as they have more fun keep the boys at MS writing fixes for w7 and w8.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Might as well fill us in on the pro's to your new computer. Whats different from XP to 8.1, +/- so we get the idea on what way to go if XP starts to lag some.

The best info is word of mouth! No ad's could compare at all to what someone might say after buying something. Here companys spend mill's on Ad's and forgot the Word of Mouth usage. Please fill us in on the details, could you?

Thanks!

Peace

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

Thanks for the info! Thanks to all of ATS!

I bet some company is right now planning something just for XP! Hopefully a nice program that Windows should have done itself!

You know the drill, look up info say a tub. Next thing you see is add's from various sites showing ad's on tubs! Here I thought Cookies were meant to be dipped in milk, ice cream and so forth! Wrong!

Clean, clean, and clean again. Although it's just a tub, just think what else you happen to look at being remembered! I agree, paranoid is an understatement! Next will be 2 yrs ago you were on ATS reading something and now you are linked, grouped and placed into a boat with all the others reading.

Yet no one brought any beer, candy and the like! Crazy!

Peace

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MissBeck

I am a old fella and 512mb is plenty for this old guy . I used to drive a VMax motorcycle too but my X took it away in the divorce ..God love her soul :>)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I'm not worried, I have 2000 pro. I can still use a lot of things because it has the same platform as XP....Oh oh...that's right, people will not be making things compliant with xp anymore.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Other then money, what is the difference? If one can not sell something new since the old is cool, companys lose money.

Yet if say I decided to make something new, would I not work out all the bugs first? Companys so rush making new stuff with some little testing first. Not to be saying Windows is bad or anything, just take the new glasses coming out. So in a way, one would either have to buy something more to use them then just buying a program to use them.

It leaves out the small fry, the person unable to enjoy life since after all the costs, really does not happen to have the money to buy the cool new toys. Companys feed on it, knowing the parents will buy for their children the new toys to show off in school bragging! Yet there is no difference between the two children but money.

If your gonna Create something new, Create it for every Class of people! Then word of mouth comes into play and hello Money! Of course to some Money flows like no tomorrow, while the rest decide food on the table, rent, gas is much better to have then some new crap from China!

How mush lazer do you want people to become? Since things are built nowdays to be taken to a repair shop and not something one used to be able to do themselves long ago is lacking in todays world. Just looking at Texting we see the outcome!

Sure touching the screen is cool, nice and special. Although I would prefer to be able to touch another person, shake hands and look them in the eyes first. What has Windows done for the impaired, no hands no touching the screen!

I must be getting old!

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join