It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fort Hood shooter was taking "prescription drugs for depression and anxiety". SSRIs?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

OP - you're spreading misinformation. I haven't even read through this thread yet to know if anyone else addressed this in your OP but Ambien is part of the benzodiazepine class of drugs, the same class that valium, xanax, atavan, and other anti-anxiety medications are included in.

Ambien has also been known to induce serious episodes of sleep-walking, where people are able to produce complex functions with no memory. It's typically prescribed as a short-term sleep aid due to how powerful it is, but the additional GABA it provides does provide anti-anxiety functions.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I have been saying for over two decades now that all but a few prescription drugs are bad for you I don't care what any doctor says. The only ones that have any genuine medical value are the ones that the federal government doesn't want you taking. Penicillin for the obvious reasons, valium for the medical benefits out provides to people with certain back injuries and other injuries where a muscle relax is far more beneficial than a pain killer like vicodin, which is really bad for you. There are a few others, but I don't want to spend all day typing which ones for which reasons, but if any doctor is quick to offer you an unlimited prescription to something, it's bad, if it's something they don't even want to write a prescription for, that's probably the one that will solve your problem quickly. They don't want to solve your problem quickly, they want you to keep coming back so that they can enrich themselves, period.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Anyone noticing a pattern with mass shootings???????

THEY ALL HAVE GUNS!!! (That ones for all the anti gun folks here).

It seems like every mass shooter is just loaded up on a cocktail mixture of drugs..... NAH, that COULDN'T have anything to do with their behavior.

I like to listen to the disclaimers on anti depressants on TV.... more that enough for me to never try them!

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

FlyersFan

Did the drugs cause the violence or did the mental illness?
Most likely it was a combination.
The drugs work for many people. For some, it makes things worse.
The human brain and human chemistry ... it's all still a mystery.

I hear you, but are all these modern drugs actually helping people or just covering up their mental illnesses like a bandaid?

If anything, they seem to be WAY over prescribed and there are too many people walking around in drug induced fogs.

Personally if I had the option of getting prescribed these medicines or just dealing with my issues, I'd choose the latter. It doesn't seem like those drugs ever "Cure" anyone. They just end up giving people stronger and more types of drugs. One to make you happy, one to make you sleep, one to wake you up ect, ect.

Not a healthy way to live, IMO.

edit on 6-4-2014 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
It's NOT the guns! It's NOT the drugs! It's the shrinks who are prescribing these medications, and who are deliberately turning their patients into homicidal Manchurian Candidates. FIRST comes the mental health 'treatment,' THEN comes the ultra-violence. You'll notice they never bother to even identify their shrinks, much less try to interview them, despite motive always being a mystery.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by starviego

Psychiatrists or shrinks are just regular people that believe they are helping others. Most of them are really ignorant people and lack empathy - I have seen many. A few of them are even in the category of sociopathic or psychopathic and have 0 stars on the Rate Your MD websites, and dozens of nasty reviews. Many of them, if not all, actually should be charged with medical malpractice, because they essentially have no clue what they are doing. Psychiatrists will load children up on psychoactive drugs - and they do! They have a conflict of interest. They convince themselves and their patients that they are helping, but in reality they are getting huge kickbacks from Big Pharma.

I don't have to be a Scientologist to understand that Psychiatry is an "industry of death". The long list of adverse reactions and murder/suicides and lives completely ruined, including mine and those of my family and several friends, is enough for me to be convinced. It is not a conspiracy to create mind controlled victims, it is a conspiracy to overlook important medical information and proliferate more mental issues to make more drugs to make more money. That is enough of a general conspiracy to my mind.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

corsair00
It is not a conspiracy to create mind controlled victims.....

Yes, sometimes, it's a conspiracy to create mind-controlled victims:

community.seattletimes.nwsource.com...
dated 1-14-01
TACOMA - A Pierce County jury has awarded $2.1 million to the family of an autistic man who sued his discredited neuropsychiatrist over treatment, saying the now-dead doctor tried to erase part of their son's brain and turn him into a trained killer. (The victim was about 20 at the time.)
"The attorney representing the estate of Gig Harbor neuropsychiatrist Donald Dudley, who died in October(2000), declined comment.
Dudley's license to practice medicine was suspended in 1993 after he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. In one episode cited in the suspension, Bellevue police found Dudley with an arsenal of guns in a hotel room where he was treating a suicidal 15-year-old boy. The boy reportedly threatened a clerk with a .44-caliber pistol. ...
(Victim Stephen)Drummond's parents filed the lawsuit in 1998, contending that Dudley used drugs and hypnotic suggestion in an effort to recruit and train killers from among his patients.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   

HomerinNC
Wow, EVERYONE blaming the drugs not the people doing the actual attacks.
This is what our society has become, a bunch of 'blame everything but the actual person' people
Has everyone forgotten about personal responsibility?

in general i agree with you 100%. yet when it involves these drugs i have to question that based upon my own experiences. the thing is these are mind altering substances, and so if you have had something alter your mind can you be held responsible for actions while under it's influence? i felt trapped in my head and powerless to stop myself from doing thing i wouldn't normally do, no matter how much i didn't like what i was doing. i had no control of my actions, so how could i be responsible for them? to be held responsible i should actual be in control of myself.

unlike something like alcohol which people drink voluntarily, these medicines are practically forced onto people without them really being made aware of the dangerous possibilities. you see the list of side effects and question them, you are told not to worry, "that is just a legal thing it doesn't really happen". besides you are told you need to take it by a doctor who you are supposed to trust, in order to get better. and of course there is sometimes an implied threat that if you don't take them they may decide to lock you up "for your own good". trust me nothing is more scary than being LOCKED IN with a bunch of "crazy people", and when you ask if you can go soon the reply is, "what makes you think we are going to let you go?". so if you disagree with taking the meds, will they let you go?

sometimes when an event like this happens they blame it on people stopping taking their medicine. sure enough that can be the cause. it has even made into into everyday slang, someone acts out and you say "they must be off their meds". that should concern us deeply but it doesn't. WHY would someone stop taking something that is HELPING THEM? think about that for a few minutes. if you are taking something say for pain and it removes the pain, why the hell would you voluntarily stop taking it? that should start alarm bells ringing, why doesn't it? now we hear through media that it is because "they feel better and don't feel they need it anymore". does that sound right? i guess it could be true in some cases. but again if you are taking something and you feel good while taking it why would you stop? i know i never gave it a second thought, it sounds reasonable. but after my experiences i would call that BS. to me it sounds much more likely there is something they don't like about it. there is a REASON they want to stop taking it. just think about alcohol for a minute. why do people normally (not alcoholics), not want to drink past their limits? because of it's side effects. that hangover you get when you over indulge can be a big part of it. but why else might you not want to over drink, especial say in front of your boss? is it because you might LOOSE CONTROL? you might do something you might regret later, because you can't control yourself? even you might have "blackouts and not even remember something foolish you have done? that is because alcohol IS a mind altering drug, oh it's a pretty mild one all things considered, but if you feel that way about alcohol how difficult is it to think about the poor people taking something at least hundreds of times more powerful? and remember with a lot of people taking these drugs it is not from choice but by being coerced into it by doctors. you didn't go down to you local dealer and ask him for a bunch of SSRI's, can't think of a single time i have heard about someone "dealing" SSRI's. that is interesting right there.

lets even look at why doctors prescribe SSRI's. they tell you "you have a chemical imbalance in your brain, that is causing your problems". did they take a brain sample then get back a lab report that says what these levels actually are? no they talk to you a few minutes and decide that that is what is wrong. in other words they guess, an educated guess to be sure, but it is a guess nonetheless, not a fact where they can point to the cause from tests. perhaps we would be further ahead as a community if instead of taking a leap of faith and handing out these pills like candies they should first approach your problems from other angles first. for depression and things of that nature why not try to talk about your issues with you first and see if that helps, ie see a physiologist? for things like pain issues, why not try to find and treat the cause of the pain FIRST, and see if that helps out your issues? sure some people in the end may need SSRI's, but i bet that the number of people on them would drop dramatically. more research into what causes depression and dealing with it without dangerous chemicals is badly needed, perhaps if there was a way to actually see what levels of "brain chemicals" are at so they can be put into proper balance without this crap shoot approach to mental health.

i have friends who this medicine seems to have helped, and may even prevent them from doing these things. but for others like myself the drug takes over and causes them to do things they would never do if they had control of themselves that these drugs take away. using these drugs can and i suspect do cause these rampages with some people, and that without it they would not occur. but such is the crappy mental health profession, where they really don't know enough in the first place yet treat everyone like they do by handing out wonderful "cure all pills", as the easy out for proper care, rather like a "snake oil" salesman of old.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by generik

Very well said! I agree with everything you wrote wholeheartedly. And it is no surprise, since I have also experienced this personally. The people who seem to be against our point of view are people who have absolutely no experience with the medications or their side effects whatsoever. Or like I mentioned before, they know one or two people who take a small dose of Prozac and see that it has "worked miracles" for them. Of course, they don't know the science behind the placebo effect, but I digress.

This notion of there being absolutely NO EMPIRICAL/SCIENTIFIC way to measure brain chemistry seems to be lost by the world. Let's give this some more attention here. This means that the theory of chemical imbalance assumes that specific neurotransmitters in the brain of the mentally ill are too low or too high. But that modern medicine has absolutely no way to measure and verify this whatsoever. This is not cut and dry medical science. This is speculation and theory. In other words: pseudoscience.

And just look at the track record. How successful is all of this guessing turning out to be?! Honestly. I would venture a guess that psychiatry and the mental health system has a 10% success rate, if that...

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

I'm taking 900mgs of Gabapentin to sleep,it stops my thoughts from keeping me awake(Being creative I KEEP THINKING and don't sleep.) but since I live in Colorado all my depression is taken care of...

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by starviego

Regular practitioners ,MEDICAL doctors are handing these out like a chicago drug dealer at a high school. I wish TO GOD it was JUST the psychiatric community giving these out. It's like base ball pitchers throwing footballs and expecting to win the soccer game they have NO idea they read the literature and that is all.They have NO time (or DEVOTION apparently) to research evert med that comes their way. and of course as was previously stated ,money is in the prolonged treatment from the AMA not the cure ,THOSE are kept from us like oil companies do with ANY tech that would pull us away from THEIR drug.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jacktorrance

Hello, I too have some of the same illness' you mentioned. If it were not for my medications I may not be here today!
I am very fortunate in that they manage my symptoms quite well with very little side effects. I learned the hard way, there is a price to pay if I do not take my meds. The symptoms return...

Paxil truly sucks!! Avoid at all cost. Abilify was the trick for me!

Pax

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

While yes it has! I never said that I simply said perhaps the reason these violent acts occur was not because of the meds but because the particular drug was not treating the actual illness and maybe the patient wasn't taking them! Correct me if I am wrong but are you not saying the reason the person commits these acts are because of these types of psych meds?

I am in full agreement that an individual needs to be thoroughly evaluated by a psychiatrist for the correct diagnosis of mental illness to be given. I also do not believe in medication therapy alone. Counseling by a qualified, meaning licensed professional
is a must.....

Again, i never brought that up......and if you felt the mental illness alone could have sparked the rampage why did you not so?

Pax

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

Imagine 10 years of Paxil. That is the equivalent of doing a line of coc aine every hour for 10 years. Because Paxil basically works the same way, with the same effects as coc aine. Aggravation, irritability, mania. That's while taking it as prescribed.

Now imagine trying to come off it! And doctors telling you to just ween off within a month. I am telling all of you that most of this devastation we are seeing, with the murders, is when patients are trying to come off drugs like this. Or just stopping cold turkey.

The doctors who really know about this scream from the rooftops to ween off meds VERY, VERY SLOWLY! If at all. That is really the most dangerous thing. But young people do it all the time. ALL the time. They just stop the drugs willy nilly. They don't know any better. And family doctors don't either. It's a huge problem that needs to be addressed.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by corsair00

I quit effexor xr cold turkey after being on it for over a year. Quite an experience that was. I did my research of people getting off it, and it seemed to me that the weening method was useless. Both the weeners, and the cold turkey people had all the same crazy effects, the ones that weened off it was just way longer drawn out. I figured I might as well just get it over with. But like I said, crazy experience, I don't recommend going on that crap, not worth the risk of having to go through that to get off it again. I knew what to expect from all my research thankfully, if I hadn't known what was going to happen, I might have snapped, it was that intense.

Even after all this time, I still get a brain zap once in a great while. Can really sneak up on you those things.
edit on Thu, 10 Apr 2014 03:17:17 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I feel your pain. I mean, I really still feel that pain! haha. I don't get brain zaps anymore, thank God, but my serotonin receptors are still fried to a crisp. And my ability to get good quality sleep, particularly deep REM sleep, has been severely compromised ever since. My suspicion is that the pineal gland, the gland that secretes melatonin and serotonin, can get jammed up with an oversaturation of serotonin from this Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibition effect and build up calcium deposits. The pineal gland has been known to calcify and things like fluoride really speed up this process. And most, if not all, antidepressants have fluoride as a main ingredient. Think "fluoxetine" etc.

So compromising the very gland that is responsible for inner vision and REM sleep and the release of melatonin will obviously screw up your sleeping. Essentially we are talking about spirituality here. That is why I am so passionate about it. Modern science and psychiatry is based on atheistic materialism which says the human being is a machine with no soul. The reality is that the pineal gland is the seat of the soul and mucking around with it is literally cutting people's connection to spirit off. It is quite literally evil, in my opinion. At the very least it is tragically ignorant.

But back to your story about weening off Effexor. What do you think would have happened if you had had a gun at your disposal during this time of drug withdrawal?

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jrflipjr

First and foremost, thank you for your service and my freedom! I am sorry for your suffering and glad you found the EMDR info helpful. I too have PTSD very similar to a combat vet. Unfortunately, because of most of us think we are okay and can manage, we at times delay treatment until the symptoms are out of control, creating an even bigger challenge Chronic PTSD...

I am sure the military is not too concerned about the men and women that fight for their country and their state of mental health! Talk about a WAR CRIME!!! That sickens me!!

We may never know what caused this person to snap but one thing is clear. The mental health services offered to our VETS needs to be completely overhauled!! I hold responsible the doctors whom failed to treat this soldier with (whatever treatment)
was deemed necessary! Follow up care in the mental health field is a MUST!! Once again, the ball was dropped!

Thank you again for your willingness to lay down your life for me!! That goes out to all VETS past, present and future!! You are in a class by yourself! These are the most courageous people you will ever know!

Pax

My story if interested. EMDR was of great help to me!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by corsair00

Never really been good at sleep, still not. One of the reasons I got on it is because my doctor said it would help me sleep.... I went to him wanting a mild tranquilizer, he said my racing brain was really anxiety and the pill would make it all better.

I have a pretty large gun collection actually.
edit on Thu, 10 Apr 2014 21:26:08 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Thank God for self-restraint! I think there were many different times where I had such an elaborate fantasy of planning a massive murder/suicide that I am certain I would have carried it through if given access to guns. But ironically it was psychiatrists that I wanted to kill...

I still take a little bit of sleeping medicine. But I recently found out that exposure to artificial light at night time can really wreak havoc on your sleep cycles. Because of the light exposure to the pineal gland, it represses the synthesis of melatonin. But there are glasses you can buy that block the blue wave lengths in light which is the frequency responsible for this repression. It is another aspect of sleep hygiene that effects many people. But for many it is simply an overactive imagination, I guess.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join