It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA cuts all contact with Russia over Ukraine crisis

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   

SaturnFX

okamitengu
reply to post by openminded2011

so how are people and supplies getting to ISS without russian rockets then?

Catapults.

That will be a BFC then

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   

greencmp

Because we don't want your outdated overpriced deathtrap? War indeed.
Lol
The shuttle was a far bigger death trap

Id rather go up in a Soyuz than a shuttle!

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   

crazyewok

greencmp

Lol

--
Yeah I remember, we had this argument on another post.
---
Honestly I tend to think there was some sort of deal struck, behind doors at cutting cost with Nasa in favor of the Privatized sector.
One, the Gov saves millions if not billions...

Two, a whole new private industry springs up in place, with its own influx of money and US Gov blessing, who wouldn't want a Gov contract? or Military Gov contract at that...

I get mixed feelings about this scenario though, on one hand sure the Private sector has all kinds of ideas, very creative ones, like a Software company.
But that means we are at the mercy of the private sector.
On the other hand, US Gov does get first dibbs on it, turning Nasa into a hub of space financial commerce.

Whatever the case is, it needs to be within our Gov and not relying on other countries to carry us up.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

crazyewok

greencmp

Lol

I hav'nt checked the numbers but I found this.

The facts don't suggest that either system is more or less reliable than the other.  Shuttle has suffered two fatal accidents in 117 missions (0.98 realized survival rate).  Soyuz has suffered two fatal and two nonfatal accidents in 96 crewed flights (0.98 realized survival rate).  Either ride presents about the same amount of risk.  Soyuz might appear more reliable right now because it hasn't killed anyone recently, but it most likely will suffer another bad day if it is flown often enough.
--- End quote ---

There is an interesting symmetry in the shuttle and Soyuz accident stats.

Shuttle: 2 fatal accidents in 117 flights (1 in 58.5), 14 fatalities in 698 person-trips (1 in 49.9)
Soyuz: 2 fatal accidents in 96 flights (1 in 48), 4 fatalities in 231 person-trips (1 in 57.75)

So the shuttle accident rate is virtually identical to the Soyuz fatality rate, and vice-versa. And as you pointed out earlier, the longest "streak" of consecutive successful landings is practically the same for both (87 for shuttle, 86 and counting for Soyuz).

forum.nasaspaceflight.com...

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

worth every penny.

You cant sit on top of a massive firework and expect everything to be okay, sometimes it goes pop.

edit on b5151959 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

crazyewok

greencmp

Lol

He was saying that we want to go to war with Russia because we don't want to use the soyuz.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

~Lucidity
We need to create some jobs and build some new shuttles of our own. It's bugged me forever now that we don't have any anymore.

Come on, SpaceX!

Hear , hear!

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

greencmp

He was saying that we want to go to war with Russia because we don't want to use the soyuz.

Well that would be stupid.

The USA should just pull its finger out and start sending its won manned rockets up again.

And it can do a better job that that overpriced piece of junk called the shuttle im sure. Look at Gemini.
NASA needs to learn fancy doesn't always = better.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

crazyewok

greencmp

Well that would be stupid.

The USA should just pull its finger out and start sending its won manned rockets up again.

And it can do a better job that that overpriced piece of junk called the shuttle im sure. Look at Gemini.
NASA needs to learn fancy doesn't always = better.

The space shuttles were used up, useful once but, it is time for the next generation of reusable spacecraft.

SpaceX - Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, and Dragon

ATS
edit on 3-4-2014 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

The shuttle was just a truck to get to low earth orbit. We should never have abandoned the capsule concept, it's considerably safer. Much less to go wrong . The good that will come out of this is now there will be pressure to get our own manned space flight going again. That's nothing but a win. At the very least it will create some quality jobs for people. Funding might be a bit hard to come by as our govt is essentially broke.
edit on 3-4-2014 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Another sad day for humanity. I am not getting into the whole privatized space exploration since my views don't really mesh well with most members; however, further destroying ties with Russia over a country that the US doesn't give a rats arse about or it's people, is rash and irresponsible.

The USG and the corporations that own it care nothing for people in Ukraine, yet they use this pitiful excuse to retool their government/corporate complex.

Maybe this is a good thing, maybe it is not. But pretending to care for one nation to destroy ties with another is evil. Pure evil.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join