It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA cuts all contact with Russia over Ukraine crisis

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Basically it says that NASA is ceasing all contact with the Russian government. Its stated that work on the ISS will not be affected, but I don't see how it wont be. Its a serious setback for space exploration and international cooperation in space. The only good thing that may come out of it is that NASA will finally have to get serious about building a manned transportation system again. Maybe now they will be able to get funding.

www.theverge.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

It's about freakin time!

edit on 2-4-2014 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

so how are people and supplies getting to ISS without russian rockets then?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

okamitengu

With all the other rockets.

e.g.
SpaceX - Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, and Dragon

"Spaceships should take off and land on their engines as God and Robert Heinlein intended" - Jerry Pournelle

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

okamitengu

Catapults.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

okamitengu

ISS operations are unaffected, I assume that includes manned and cargo flights to and from the ISS. The next Expedition is already in Russia, getting to ready to fly this autumn. Supplies are also sent through European and Japanese space agencies.

Official memo: www.spaceref.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
This story says "some" contact - another empty gesture.

The Ukrainians came to DC asking for Arms & we offered them MRE's a few weeks ago.

The U.S. will suspend some space-related contact with Russia.

Link

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

That means they decided to shun each other on the space station. No sharing of chocolates nor tang.

tsk tsk tsk...

Des

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Big deal...our private companies that send satellites up will still work with them. As far as I know Russia is the only game in town with rockets that take up all of our payloads..stupid move by nasa...it means nothing

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

chrismarco

Big deal...our private companies that send satellites up will still work with them. As far as I know Russia is the only game in town with rockets that take up all of our payloads..stupid move by nasa...it means nothing

Not true.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

chrismarco

NO...stupid move by Obama, for defunding and scrapping the shuttle program. and gutting a good portion of NASA's space exploration program.

If our astronauts are left stranded in any way. It falls directly on his shoulders. Plain and simple...

Des

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

that shuttle program was the biggest waiste of billions..somewhere near the tune of a few billion a year just to keep the shuttle on the ground with all the NASA employees...consider how much money that is and we had a launch how often?

www.space.com...

200 billion for the space shuttle program...
edit on 2-4-2014 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

A final tally of the space shuttle program's lifetime costs puts the price tag at $1.5 billion per flight, a new analysis shows.

That is absurd...

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Destinyone

chrismarco

NO...stupid move by Obama, for defunding and scrapping the shuttle program. and gutting a good portion of NASA's space exploration program.

If our astronauts are left stranded in any way. It falls directly on his shoulders. Plain and simple...

Des

I think this might be an unintended benefit, NASA can sell or license it's patents and produce a renaissance of private space exploration well into this millennium and as a consequence unbind the specialized sciences which can be overlooked in the bureaucracy.

Don't worry, NASA isn't going anywhere, once created it is almost impossible to disassemble a bureaucracy. I don't begrudge them the money even (if they could produce) but, it is time to unchain the private sector and anticipate extensive private space operations.

Frankly, I'm also glad we don't have to use the soyuz anymore.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
made me think of a movie plot...what if the russians take over the space station!!!! Come on youd totally watch that one....You are welcome hollywood...take that one for free.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

SaturnFX

okamitengu

Catapults.

I thought the catapults had been reserved exclusively for NASA's Muslim outreach programs?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Yeah otherwise SOL for the americans stuck on the ISS now.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

cleverhans
reply to post by wildespace

Yeah otherwise SOL for the americans stuck on the ISS now.

No, the Dragon is manned space flight ready and I am sure they are frothing at the mouth for a manned mission.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

Sorry you are correct but Russia does have the larger rockets that we do rely on..they are much more reliable than our rockets..

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
We need to create some jobs and build some new shuttles of our own. It's bugged me forever now that we don't have any anymore.

Come on, SpaceX!

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

The Ukrainians came to DC asking for Arms & we offered them MRE's a few weeks ago.

Right, what the hell?

edit on 2-4-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join