It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA cuts all contact with Russia over Ukraine crisis

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Would it be so bad if NASA was privatized?

Id buy stock in the ISS

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   

BABYBULL24

The Ukrainians came to DC asking for Arms & we offered them MRE's a few weeks ago.

But to be fair...our MREs are delicious...and often include packets of peanut butter...mmm...peanut butter.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Biigs
Would it be so bad if NASA was privatized?

Id buy stock in the ISS

Would you? They don't really produce anything in the short term...if NASA was a for profit business, they would have been closed down almost as soon as they opened...they are very expensive, long term, open sourced research mostly. They do make a few bucks here and there carrying satellites and the like, but that is barely a squirt gun on a inferno of costs.

Some business models work. when they don't work but can add tremendous value to everyone over time, then that's what governments are for...highway systems for example (can you imagine if say, Microsoft owned 2/3rds of the roads..or Walmart...get tolled just driving down the street)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

NASA has produced some of the worlds best technology, we would have never have achieved if it wasnt for space, its not just the research its the getting there, surviving there.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Biigs

NASA has produced some of the worlds best technology, we would have never have achieved if it wasnt for space, its not just the research its the getting there, surviving there.

Yes, but the ROI is terrible from a strictly business standpoint.
Their value is great, but a business isn't going to subscribe to their business model. There may be a time when it is profitable for a company to invest in heavy space research, but for now, we are still in the stage of building the basic rocketry to get us in low orbit..
A cheap reusable craft is needed...maybe in about 30ish years with actual heavy research in some key areas..but for now, governmental grants is the only thing that is going to get the space industry off the ground so to speak

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   

ROI is nothing compared to the potential gain, i bet if NASA was privatized it would get massive donations and investment globally.

The ROI is low, but people with too much bloody money want their names on stuff, this would be a major player.

edit on b00001124 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   

wildespace
ISS operations are unaffected, I assume that includes manned and cargo flights to and from the ISS. The next Expedition is already in Russia, getting to ready to fly this autumn. Supplies are also sent through European and Japanese space agencies.

Official memo: www.spaceref.com...
Thanks. Any idea what "Obie" means above the signature in that memo?

I wonder what it's like on the ISS now? Is the atmosphere "tense", or have they already developed enough comradery that they are still friends and laughing at the stupid tribal squabbles of the earthlings far below?

Also, isn't the ISS escape capsule a Russian Soyuz? If there was an emergency on the ISS if the Russians wanted to get nasty, could/would they retaliate by denying certain people entry to their escape capsule? Or maybe NASA is helping to pay a lease on it so they wouldn't be able to do that? It does raise a lot of sticky questions that the memo doesn't specifically address.

I was kind of surprised NASA ended the shuttle program without a replacement already lined up, and with so much reliance on Russian transportation for ISS missions.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Arbitrageur

wildespace
ISS operations are unaffected, I assume that includes manned and cargo flights to and from the ISS. The next Expedition is already in Russia, getting to ready to fly this autumn. Supplies are also sent through European and Japanese space agencies.

Official memo: www.spaceref.com...

I wonder what it's like on the ISS now? Is the atmosphere "tense", or have they already developed enough comradery that they are still friends and laughing at the stupid tribal squabbles of the earthlings far below?

Also, isn't the ISS escape capsule a Russian Soyuz? If there was an emergency on the ISS if the Russians wanted to get nasty, could/would they retaliate by denying certain people entry to their escape capsule? Or maybe NASA is helping to pay a lease on it so they wouldn't be able to do that? It does raise a lot of sticky questions that the memo doesn't specifically address.

I was kind of surprised NASA ended the shuttle program without a replacement already lined up, and with so much reliance on Russian transportation for ISS missions.

It wasn't really a budget decision for the shuttles, they were beat up. Old machines who gave their best years to us and we thank them but, they are grounded. The Columbia was nicknamed the "P.O.S.".

We have much better ships and SpaceX does have an escape module program I believe or the Dragon is an escape module itself.

The astronauts themselves are friends and colleagues so, probably weird but, I can't imagine there would be tension.
edit on 2-4-2014 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Hmmm.. It really reminds me of the movie 2010

If only real life could end as well as the movie did.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

This is big news because NASA doesn't want other agencies going outside low earth orbit. If people go outside low earth orbit then the moon landings will be revealed as frauds. No humans have been outside low earth orbit since 1972 when Richard Nixon was president.

The $30 million dollar X-prize is a lure, but all the X-prize missions will end in lunar disaster I assure you. Why? Because the CIA and the Pentagon control access to the moon. That's why foreign space surveyors have always run into technical difficulties around the moon. Meanwhile, the LRO, after 6 years, is still making incredible maneuvers to get pictures of LADEE in orbit. It's obvious why the Keep Out Zones were put in place... as a warning to all Do Not Disturb The Sacred Apollo Landing Sites.

It's kind of like NASA sucking it's own dick, isn't it?

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Whatever happened to For All Mankind
Why does NASA have Keep Out Zones on the moon?
Why is the NASA administrator Charles Bolden a former Marine Corp General officer and jet pilot and space shuttle commander, he even commanded No-Fly Zones in the middle east, at a time when Japan and India and China are ready to expose Nixon's Apollo?

Why did NASA put Russian rockets in the supply chain when American rockets could perform the same task?

I am almost afraid to say this but I think that there is a very big power play going on between Russia and USA right now. Obviously the Crimea and Ukraine are part of the bigger picture in disrupting human space travel outside of the low earth radiation belts.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   

greencmp

It's about freakin time!

I didnt know There are some Anti Russian people in here whom cheer a war with Russia.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Agent_USA_Supporter

greencmp

It's about freakin time!

I didnt know There are some Anti Russian people in here whom cheer a war with Russia.

Because we don't want your outdated overpriced deathtrap? War indeed.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   
]edit on 2-4-2014 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)
reason given)

A final tally of the space shuttle program's lifetime costs puts the price tag at $1.5 billion per flight, a new analysis shows.
That is absurd...
edit on 2-4-2014 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)
I have to disagree. We just gave Ukraine a billion, how much do we give Israel every year? That is absurd. Expensive, yes. Ours(the United States of America) absolutely. It sure was an awesome bird. Now look at what we have......um yeah thats better. Now we pay the Russians what, 50 million a seat? In a cramped up tin can that cannot haul our cargo with it. I would rather tax money be spent on the shuttle than, well just about any other foreign "aid" package. Killing the shuttle was a big mistake.arco because: (no reason given)

I have to disagree.

We just gave Ukraine a billion, how much do we give Israel every year? That is absurd.

Expensive, yes.

Ours(the United States of America) absolutely.

It sure was an awesome bird.

Now look at what we have......um yeah thats better.

Now we pay the Russians what, 50 million a seat? In a cramped up tin can that cannot haul our cargo with it.

I would rather tax money be spent on the shuttle than, well just about any other foreign "aid" package.

edit on 3-4-2014 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

PonderingSceptic

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Not only Russia, but also Ukraine has rockets. There's also a question which were made in Ukraine or Yuzhmash initially.

liejunkie01

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   
My bad.

It seems my previous estimate on how much we pay the Russians per seat charge was a little low.

Skyrocketing inflation: Russia now charging NASA $70 million per seat to fly US astronauts

www.foxnews.com...

It seems NASA is a little upset with congress over it.

ETA: my phone chopped up this page for some reason, a glitch or something. If my post above is jumbled, i apologize. It won't let me edit or fix anything. I cannot even see the whole posts above.
edit on 3-4-2014 by liejunkie01 because: ETA

edit on 3-4-2014 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

Agent_USA_Supporter

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

By the way dont forget whom went first to Space it was the Russians your little anti Russian war mongering cheer leading wont do anything here.

greencmp

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Agent_USA_Supporter
reply to post by greencmp

By the way dont forget whom went first to Space it was the Russians your little anti Russian war mongering cheer leading wont do anything here.

No, it was the Soviet Union that put the first man made artificial satellite into orbit and that was more than half a century ago. They're gone now if you want to be technical about it.
edit on 3-4-2014 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

wildespace

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Arbitrageur

I think "Obie" is Michael F. O'Brien's nickname.

On the ISS, I imagive they act professionally and in comradership. There are regular video blogs from the ISS on Youtube, you can watch and see for yourself. Here's a recent interview with astronauts, discussing the current situation:

The Soyuz transportation has been paid for, so if there is an evacuation, the NASA astronauts have the right of seat. I don't see any reason for Russia to "get nasty" in this regard, it would be extremely inhumane.

Arbitrageur

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 05:07 AM
link   

wildespace
I think "Obie" is Michael F. O'Brien's nickname.
That was my guess too but I wasn't really sure.

On the ISS, I imagive they act professionally and in comradership. There are regular video blogs from the ISS on Youtube, you can watch and see for yourself. Here's a recent interview with astronauts, discussing the current situation:
Thanks for the video. They certainly don't mention any tension but nor did I see any cosmonauts with them...they probably can't say too much about it now and still be politically correct...but maybe after this whole thing blows over they will be more free to talk about the experience.

The Soyuz transportation has been paid for, so if there is an evacuation, the NASA astronauts have the right of seat. I don't see any reason for Russia to "get nasty" in this regard, it would be extremely inhumane.
Paid for by who? Russia? I don't know that much about the finances of the ISS. Well if the Russian leaders were really nice I suppose they wouldn't be bullying their neighbors. Actually the Russians I've met have been very nice, so really talking about their leaders.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1    3 >>

join