It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4.8 earthquake rocks US Yellowstone National Park

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

I'm not saying we should turn to anarchy but

the most powerful in 30 years

means you should pay attention and not ignore this like any other day, especially after Fridays 5.1

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Dianec
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I read your other thread and it was quite informative. If it is magma though - wouldn't the signature look like a harmonic tremor? Or is it the case that it could be magma, having pushed hard enough to break rock, and not produce a HT?

And if magma broke through something - if this is their finding, what does that mean? It sounds really bad but I'm sure there are a couple of different things this could indicate so wanted your thoughts on it if possible.

Any time there is upwards pressure underground, whether from magma or more indirectly, from magma generated steam, eventually there are going to be earthquakes. It's just part of deal. But the depth of these quakes is apparently not all that worrisome, even as big as that 4.8 is, cause otherwise they would have changed the alert level.

But no, not at all would magma movement look like HT necessarily, and rarely does it- and only at some volcanoes. It takes special conduits that vibrate to create HT. There is tremor, and then there's harmonic tremor. Many volcanoes don't have the right magma type, or conduits that vibrate to that extent. Whether YS does, is anyone's guess. They've found vents from prior eruptions- but I seriously question whether those could have been destroyed when the caldera settled some 3000 feet into the empty chamber after the last CFE some 640,000 years ago.

If the 2008 swarm in YS Lake is any indication, it could be months or years before they reach any conclusions on what caused this swarm and quake, and how closely it is related to the uplift going on at Norris.

I will speculate though since that uplift has to be fed from somewhere, it is possible that this latest activity occurred along a conduit feeding from the northwest. And much of that magma plume is theorized to emanate deep from the northwest part of the park. Hmm. Then again it could just be steam generated- but the higher quake magnitudes suggest magma- or could be a new unknown tectonic fault showing up. Might have nothing to do directly with volcanism. Let's wait to see what the experts say, and if you read my thread you know they will update us further in the monthly update coming up.
edit on Sun Mar 30th 2014 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

Im simply pointing out a corralation
But Im sure theres nothing to worry about

edit on 30-3-2014 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I am curious as to what they have to say...

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Joneselius
I can't help but think that people grossly over-estimate the power of even 'super' volcanoes. The Earth is a very big place.

io9.com...

I don't think so - it would kill many millions if it did a full blast. These types of volcanoes are thought to block out the sun for months, and their potential reach is unprecedented. Mt St Helens had a widespread reach for such a small volcano and yellowstone is much much larger. I am confident we will have ample warning "if" it ever goes but even then its impact would be so widespread (depending on the eruption) there would be no escape for most.

It is not overestimated with the damage it could cause, but I can see how some over react. In this case I for one am not too worried (can't control it anyway), but am concerned enough to be anxiously awaiting their report in April.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Some sobering info in the form of Q & A's re what may happen prior to an eruption...

Q: How much advance notice would there be of an eruption?

A: The science of forecasting a volcanic eruption has significantly advanced over the past 25 years. Most scientists think that the buildup preceding a catastrophic eruption would be detectable for weeks and perhaps months to years. Precursors to volcanic eruptions include strong earthquake swarms and rapid ground deformation and typically take place days to weeks before an actual eruption. Scientists at the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory* (YVO) closely monitor the Yellowstone region for such precursors. They expect that the buildup to larger eruptions would include intense precursory activity (far exceeding background levels) at multiple spots within the Yellowstone volcano. As at many caldera systems around the world, small earthquakes, ground uplift and subsidence, and gas releases at Yellowstone are commonplace events and do not reflect impending eruptions.

*The YVO is a collaborative effort between the US Geological Survey, the University of Utah, and YNP to monitor and study the Yellowstone Volcano. Congress has given the USGS the responsibility of volcano hazard assessment, and YNP assists the USGS in their volcano monitoring effort.

Q: How will the park get the word out if there is an eruption?

A: The park would communicate accurate and timely information to park visitors, park employees, concessioners, surrounding communities, media outlets, and other interested parties through the park's 24-hour Communications Center; news releases; established emergency response programs; and through notification of appropriate interagency, state and local government agencies.

I like this one...everywhere safe except in the immediate vicinity, really?

Q: Where would it be safe to be during an eruption?

A: For the most likely type of volcanic eruption in Yellowstone, everywhere would be safe except in the immediate vicinity of the advancing lava flow. In the highly improbable event of a large catastrophic eruption, the greater the distance from the eruptive center, the safer it would be. It is impossible to know the effects of the eruption without guessing at the explosivity of the highly unlikely eruption and the total amount of the material erupted.

And this link is broken...you have to choose the appropriate re-direction

Q: Would the public know about a possible eruption?

A: Yes. Scientists continuously monitor volcano activity in Yellowstone and share that information through news releases, web sites, etc. Current real-time-monitoring data are online at volcanoes.usgs.gov...

Pretty colourful today...

edit on 3/30/2014 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Joneselius

The earth is a very big place, but depending on the timing, you are talking about something that could snuff out most of the North American grain crop. Ash beds from ancient eruptions cover most all of the US Midwest and High Plains. Even if it doesn't happen in the prime growing season, you will still be looking at enough material in the atmosphere to cause widespread climate disruption for long enough to cause worldwide crop failure, leading to famine and skyrocketing food prices. Most countries no longer store enough food to last through one year let alone two or more, and this might be something that could adversely affect growing seasons for a couple of years.

That is all aside from the immediate impacts.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Can somebody help me out here please?
I have always considered volcanoes to be totally unpredictable at the end of the day. (I studied Geography at Uni).
2 things have cemented my beliefs in this. The first being Mt St, Helens, where there were tremors which were enough to send seismologists over to take a looksee, what their stats did not indicate was the mountain blowing half it's side away the way it did as was captured by camera. They just didn't see or calculate that happening. The second, although a drama/documentary done by the BBC was on Yellowstone...you all know the one.

So, my question is....we know Yellowstone has swarms, we know Yellowstone acts as a sponge/cushion to EQ's i.e. Fukushima EQ....I was really worried at that time that Fukushima could have triggered Yellowstone. I understand other types of gases have been released at Yellowstone in the last few days/weeks which have never been recorded before......so....what are the chances of Yellowstone pulling a Mt St Helen's on us? Because that has always been my gut instinct on Yellowstone.....we will not get the warnings that would put us on notice...when she goes....there will be no warning.

Rainbows
Jane

PS.....It's also quite scary that the BBC drama/documentary focused on Norris.....

edit on 30-3-2014 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

My question would be concerning the signs of a possible eruption - would they hide this from the general population as much as possible to prevent panic? As Ketsuko stated, the impacts of a full scale eruption are huge and far reaching, and in the end, there isn't anything any of us could much do anyway...

so would they hide the signs as much as possible? I know it sounds crazy... but.. why mess with panic if in the end the signs may mean nothing and you couldn't do anything anyway...
edit on 30-3-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

why worry, are you not in the UK? lol
Yes, this is why I brought up the info of Mt st Helens eruption date being in 1980
.. the last time this concerned the USGS

edit on 30-3-2014 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Even though the helium thing has been explained I am still concerned about it (what if there is too much released too fast). It could go fast but maybe fast for yellowstone would still provide a few days notice. In that case they still wouldn't be able to predict how big so I imagine there would be a panic.

I personally found myself thinking of the same question you pose today - even noting when the sky turned gray and remembering Mt St Helens. I don't think I would just see the sky turn grey though - getting dark really really fast - with what looks like snow falling initially. I am thinking it would be heard. But how far away? What would that sound like say 100 miles or 500 miles away? Or would it be silent?

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

Yeah, my husband and I were just discussing it briefly. Do we stay or do we go? Some of the ancient ash fields show us right on the edge where we're at.

This is about the only disaster scenario we have where we head east to his parents instead of west to mine.

I think how far the sound would carry would depend on the type of explosion. They heard Krakotoa a LONG ways away, but it was on water and water carries sound.
edit on 30-3-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

Don't know how far the sound would carry. We didn't hear Mt St Helens in Spokane.

Nevertheless, we sure got tons of the ash and it was dark at midday--as dark as midnight. That's almost the whole distance from the Western side of the State to the Eastern side.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

yeeeessss....usually before an eruption all the birds will fly away, the bison will stampede the hell out of there...

hang on, that may have already happened?

anyone know if the birds are getting nervy yet?

when they go, you can probably presume you have a problem. (someone should keep watch on the birds in california (LA) and yellowstone and report back here. if there are no birds at any time, and if it is v v quiet, then there is usually a big quake or an eruption coming, and ppl shud evacuate immediately.)

when did all those bison take to the highway? was that recently?

(not wanting to add to any fearmongering....but speaking as someone with a slight interest in volcanology, magma induced uplift, and quakes are not a good thing for any volcano....)

course geologically speaking anyday can be very non specific, lets hope so.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

And @ littledrummerboy.....yes I am in the UK and have you seen the BBC drama/documentary? it really is food for thought...yes they would/would not hide warnings from the public......depending who is 'in the know'.

For those who didn't see it. It was a drama for an hour on BBC1 followed immediately by a further hour documentary on BBC2

Funnily enough...in the drama they worked out that the magma chamber was bigger than first calculated.....which years USGS have now 'confirmed' to be true......

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

As a matter of FACT, it's not normal. There hasn't been a quake this size since 1980 at Yellowstone.

The earthquake was the largest at the national park since Feb. 22, 1980. Read more: www.upi.com...

Yellowstone Earthquake

No one is fear mongering...only telling the truth. What's wrong with you? Do your homework before you start spouting off at the mouth making accusations. To some of us, this info matters dearly. It could be a matter of life or death for millions one day. That's not a "if" but a "when".

Sick and tired of the lame "one liner" chime ins without knowing what you're talking about. Such as "I farted bigger than a 4.8". You keep your arse where you are then...we don't need any more quakes out here. The latter comment not directed at you Drezden.

But please, be a little bit more factual before you make such a non sense comment 👍
edit on 3/30/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Sorry man i got bored and i have a sound system.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I have tried numerous times to sort the You tube link...it's just not happening...so here is the link in its entirety.....

www.youtube.com...

If there is still a problem....just put Yellowstone Drama documentary BBC into YouTube...it will throw it up

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Since Ive joined ATS, which was when the 09 swarm was, Ive been keeping one eye on this monster..
I went out there(on yellowstone) in 2011 just to feel the power under my feet.. amazing..
Quite the place to see. the whole time thinking.. this place could unzip right now. But.. im still here to write
this..though words in my Non avatar say "not near yellowstone" I dont think we have anything to be concerned
with.....
one hopes...
I have even visted helen.. and wow.. what destruction.. what if...

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Lil Drummerboy
AS i had stated in the original yellowstone thread..
the USGS said the last time the uplift and mag was of this concern was 1980
Also when Mt St Helens blew its top..

Interesting, are we keeping an eye on St. Helens?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join