It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4.8 earthquake rocks US Yellowstone National Park

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

That camera must be mounted to a tree. I was getting seasick watching it slowly bob up and down. It reminded me of being on a boat watching shore on a wavy day.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
It's been said that this super volcano can whipe out this continent completely. . In what context can we presume this event, if this thing goes ? And could it affect other super volcanos around the world?
edit on 0b16America/ChicagoSun, 30 Mar 2014 14:12:16 -0500vAmerica/ChicagoSun, 30 Mar 2014 14:12:16 -05001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

AnarchistoOfTheNorth
The birds are singing, the grass is green and Yellowstone is gonna kill us all.
Another fine day in America

And as long as the birds are singing, things will be fine. Usually right before an eruption, there are mass wildlife die-offs, due to carbon monoxide poisoning. So until this happens, don't worry. But when it does, get the hell out of there, if you can, or make peace with your maker.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

The western US has 2 super volcanoes, out of 7 worldwide (long valley and yellowstone). Then add to that all of those in Washington and all of the major fault systems in the Western US - it's definitely a hot spot for potential disaster. It's simply not known what can or will trigger it but I'm thinking experts will have a good idea before it happens. If we begin to see a quick uplift or harmonic tremors they will let us know. Then - not sure what people would do since there wouldn't be much one could do.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Well, I know whoever is in control of it can zoom around with it.
They have a few times since I started watching it.

Kind of a cool little live cam though!

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Darkblade71
reply to post by rickymouse

Well, I know whoever is in control of it can zoom around with it.
They have a few times since I started watching it.

Kind of a cool little live cam though!

It is cool Darkblade. It's like the live cams on the crippled reactors at Fukushima. IIRC, those are controlled remotely from a computer.

I like watching the live cams when there is a person interested in seeing something too, controlling the view. It gets boring when it always points in the same direction.

Des

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

AnarchistoOfTheNorth
I'm starting to feel as if Mother Earth has finally had enough of our s***.
Well, back to the weather bunker! *tin foil hat mode = ON*

Source
edit on 3-30-2014 by AnarchistoOfTheNorth because: (no reason given)

Mother Earth SHOULD have already had enough of our s#!t. Too bad Washington, DC wasn't built in Wyoming!

I for one welcome Mother Earth's cleansing, even it if means I have to be one that doesn't survive. I'm by no means a eugenicist, but human beings aren't as great as we think we are... the 1% perhaps being the worst.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

westcoast
I will wait for TA to chime in before speculating further, but lets not panic anyone. Yellowstone is a live volcano with tons of activity on a regular basis. There are faults that can create this size of quake. Yes, a 4.8 quake will definitely get your heart pumping, but bigger have happened before without a serious outcome.

Lol, well I did all my chiming in here, and then after spotted this thread, which is in the Other Current events forum, not Fragile Earth, where we'd usually see it:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

rickymouse
reply to post by Darkblade71

That camera must be mounted to a tree. I was getting seasick watching it slowly bob up and down. It reminded me of being on a boat watching shore on a wavy day.

That's the Upper Geyser Basin Webcam.

www.secretyellowstone.com...

"The Upper Geyser Basin webcam and live web cam are mounted on a tree in the forested area on the south side of the geyser..."

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
More info here,

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

DontTreadOnMe
More info here,

That was actually the right thing to do DTOM, move the first one to Fragile Earth, and close mine, so no beef here. Thanks for linking mine though, as there is more info in it than the OP here.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
4.8?

Lol

I've seen bigger EQ's in "none seismic" parts of the world

It's fairly common In and around Yellowstone

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TritonTaranis

4.8 is not common at YS.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
AS i had stated in the original yellowstone thread..
the USGS said the last time the uplift and mag was of this concern was 1980
Also when Mt St Helens blew its top..

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

IIRC, there's a super volcano in NM, too. But I think it's been dormant sooooooooo long that folks consider it a REAL HAS BEEN.

I don't recall where it is.

Ahhhh . . . links:

VALLES CALDERA NATIONAL PRESERVE'S HOMEPAGE:

www.vallescaldera.gov...

seethesouthwest.com...

www.nmnaturalhistory.org...

VALLES CALDERA: THE TRILOGY: [some neat pics and the title of a video]

vallescalderadocumentary.com...

WIKI ARTICLE:

en.wikipedia.org...

These calderas and associated volcanic structures lie within the Jemez Volcanic Field. This volcanic field lies above the intersection of the Rio Grande Rift, which runs north-south through New Mexico, and the Jemez Lineament, which extends from southeastern Arizona northeast to western Oklahoma. The volcanic activity here is related to the tectonic movements of this intersection.

= = =

MONITORING DATA OF LOTS OF SUPER VOLCANOES INCLUDING THE NM ONE:

And one in Colorado . . . LA GARITA CALDERA ... LAST ERUPTION 27.8 MILLION YEARS AGO

GOOGLE MAPS OF COLO SUPER VOLCANO:

maps.google.com...,-106.609955&sspn=0.428324,0.617294&vp6&t=h&i e=UTF8&hq=&hnear=La+Garita+Caldera&ll=37.729996,-106.931992&spn=0.417619,0.617294&z=11

LIST OF MONITORING INFO OF SUPER VOLCANOES

The NM one merely has a listing near the bottom of such events.

www.bookofresearch.com...

Youtube: COLORES: SLEEPING MONSTERS SACRED FIRES OF NM VOLCANOES:

"WELCOME TO THE VOLCANO STATE"

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Is this assessment of the worst uplift since 1980 including the 2008-2010 swarm and uplift?

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by minkmouse

I was thinking about the focus too. Is it going out of focus because it is shaking? could it be the wind? or is the auto focus making it look as though it is shaking?

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I read your other thread and it was quite informative. If it is magma though - wouldn't the signature look like a harmonic tremor? Or is it the case that it could be magma, having pushed hard enough to break rock, and not produce a HT?

And if magma broke through something - if this is their finding, what does that mean? It sounds really bad but I'm sure there are a couple of different things this could indicate so wanted your thoughts on it if possible.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I just watched this youtube on Yellowstone a couple days ago. Actually pretty interesting stuff on Yellowstone I might add. Worth the watch for those interested.

edit on 3/30/2014 by Connman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I can't help but think that people grossly over-estimate the power of even 'super' volcanoes. The Earth is a very big place.

io9.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join