It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4.8 earthquake rocks US Yellowstone National Park

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

The thing is that because it's so large, how fast can it ramp itself up? Will we miss some critical stages because it's so vast in scale that some little lifts here and there don't get put together as part of a bigger picture? I'm sure people are watching that, but if it happens slowly enough ... like a pot heating up really slowly ... is it inconceivable that the last push happens faster than they're prepared for?

I ask because I'm newer to watching Yellowstone.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

What history books? If they don't warn us....then I hardly think so....I know how this is sounding in a post, I'm not being antagonistic.....it's just coming over as a badly written txt...It's 4am here in UK and I should have been in bed hours ago...but I am concerned about Yellowstone atm, and trying to keep up.....I'll catch you all when I've had some kip.

Nos da

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

I know you're not addressing me but why move west (sincerely want to know for informational purposes - just incase). Mt St Helens dumped ash and I'm further from Seattle than I am from the southwest corner of the park.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

angelchemuel
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Wrong direction.... west IMHO if you're in the States.....

Rainbows
Jane

Well how about we wait until they raise it, then we can debate which direction on a case by case basis depending on wind direction at the time. No, make that- YOU guys can debate it. I'll be long gone in a cave somewhere by then. But no worries, I'll leave a thread at ATS for yas to pick at before I go.

edit on Sun Mar 30th 2014 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I just checked out that Wind Map, because I thought it looked cool.

It's probably nothing, but I found it somewhat interesting that Yellowstone seemed to be the exact center of the wind in virtually the entire US, east of the Appalachians.

Thinking of it in context with geologic activity, it's kinda creepy.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

I'm not an expert but I've been watching it for years and reading assessments on this and other sites for just as long (since about 07/08). I know that both scientists and some of the experts here are keeping track of the details and step back to look at it so it won't be the pot of boiling water. But even with that effort it can't help much because the data is still so new (in the scheme of the grandfather of volcanoes).

If they had another caldera volcanic eruption to gauge precursors against or could get daily details going back to its last eruption - that would help. The best that can be done is to look at what all other volcanoes do before an eruption and then find out what about this one would make it behave differently. Thereafter they can get a pretty good estimate of whether they are looking at something that deviates greatly from a volcano or matches it pretty closely. In this case, it is thought it's features are more like other volcanoes - more than they are different, so they use these models for precursors (with caution since it does have differences).

Having said that - what if a 9 pointer hit suddenly and it went due to just the right conditions? That could happen. I don't think we would see it just go off without something like that though. To suddenly erupt without steam breaking through a few spots suddenly at minimum. That would give at least a few hours notice. Other than a major quake I believe we will have at least some warning.

I hope that made sense. Am getting tired

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

Ever heard of backdraft in relation to a fire?......

now I really must head off to my bed...night night all
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

It does sound like your worried but if it goes off it will not be a global killer - immediately anyway. It will smother the greater part of the United States. Dust will hit as far as New York and I'm pretty sure the entire West will be gone - with the ash so thick it will collapse roofs, block engines from running (no driving or flying anywhere), and be so deep one couldn't walk away from this. People would suffocate quickly and to survive would simply be to prolong the inevitable because even if a person had an intact home they wouldn't be able to go anywhere to get food or water. Even if they could get out to do so - there would be none. When rains hit there would be huge ash/mud slides and even this wouldn't make it better for those within its reach.

Canada would get it too but where you are - just dark skies and eventual problems with crops is what I've been told. I have no idea how long that would take to clear up. It is the stuff of nightmares so I'm not sure what good a warning would do other than to say goodbye to loved ones and try to get to your side of the world (maybe China would be better or South America). The fact that airlines would be so clogged - idk.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

Very plausible points, imho.

I'm not sure about the scientists warning the public but I expect that at least some would.

It would somewhat depend on how well the gov oligarchy had sequestered and/or threatened them and their families. However, I think there's enough with sufficient integrity to do the right thing almost regardless.

. . . though . . . some might also think that it wouldn't matter and why warn folks . . . if nothing could be meaningfully done.

It seems to me that warning is the ONLY moral thing to do, however.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Living here in California I hope this all calms down!

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Yea I think how True American describes it above seems like a good reason to warn (rapid uplift, steam vents popping up all over the place, swarms increasing, etc). I think someone on here would warn in that case too, but so true - what could we do about it anyway.

What I wrote above, when describing what an eruption would look like, bummed me out - completely depressing scenario. I wish I wouldn't have thought it through as keeping that scenario at a distance in ones mind is a lot better than imagining it (does no good). Having processed it a bit more - I realize how completely unlikely it is for this thing to erupt (back to something that makes sense). Someone told me today that there is a good possibility that is is actually dying out completely and these are it's death throws. He said he saw it in a scientific paper or some scientist somewhere theorized this so I'll search for it in the next few days.
edit on 30-3-2014 by Dianec because: Spell

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Shes rocking and rolling again. im glad iv keep an eye on her all of these years . tho i still say if she was about to blow , the main shock would have to be in the caldrea it self and at least a mag 6 in order to get things really rolling towards an eruption..

thats what i sense and feel about this volcano. its what iv always sensed and im sticking to it ..

here is the docudrama about yellowstone that came out almost 10 years ago...

in honor of the mag 4.8

a fairly recent artical about yellowstone.. a very interesting read . claiming she could have a large quake and erupt sooner then anyone is expecting ..

www.dailygalaxy.com... -.html
edit on 31/3/14 by alysha.angel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

You're link doesn't work and all it does is take me to the main YouTube page. Can you fix it? Or at least put up the link? I'd like to see it...if I haven't already.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   

TDawgRex
reply to post by alysha.angel

You're link doesn't work and all it does is take me to the main YouTube page. Can you fix it? Or at least put up the link? I'd like to see it...if I haven't already.

its fixed .. its the full length docudrama.. enjoy, im watching it now..

this artical is more recent as of march 9th..

www.torontosun.com...

edit on 31/3/14 by alysha.angel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
No one knows how the eruption starts. Never before in recorded history Supervolcano has erupted. It could start immediately, or give some warnings.

Usually before volcanic eruptions, there is smell of sulfur and water conductivity rises. Also seismometers show harmonic tremor. Sometimes there is really strong earthquake just before the eruption, only hours before.

I tried to find information do they monitor water conductivity in Yellowstone, but I didn't find any data.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

That wind map is trippy... I wish we had one for Australia.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Drezden
This is normal, It's a very seismically active area, stop fear mongering, this isn't a sign of catastrophe.

A 4.8 is normal for an area with very little seismic activity?
edit on 3-31-2014 by AnarchistoOfTheNorth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by AnarchistoOfTheNorth

quite possibly, we had a 4.4 a couple of years back, epi centre in the English channel. very unusual for the area.

There was me desperate to experience an earthquake, it came just after 8 am i believe, it was one of the few days i overslept, so i missed it, gutted,

it seems many areas considered safe, have earthquakes occasionally

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   
How exactly is it "unusual" for an earthquake to take place on a fault line? Lol. I fail to see how a measly 4.8 earthquake ON A FAULT LINE is "noteworthy."

Talk to me when said plate tectonic activity on said fault line is 6.9 or higher... Yeah, DEFINITELY newsworthy then.

#hashtag: MELODRAMA
edit on 31-3-2014 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Soloprotocol
I've farted bigger than 4.8....tis but a tiddler.
ill see that. And raise you .2

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join