It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ESO will make a press conference to Announce Discovery in Outer Solar System!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
It leaked early!! link

They found an asteroid with rings!!

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by martianmallow

Its clearly a spaceship.

First.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Question 1.) How long do comets last?

Question 2.) How far away is the "ORT" cloud?

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Question 1.) How long do comets last?

Question 2.) How far away is the ORT cloud?

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   

The article says it might have a moon, doesn't that classify it as a planetoid?

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   
An asteroid with rings? thats new.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I know what they found!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,MORE SPACE!!

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
so how big is it? if it has rings and a possible moon how can it not be classified as a planet??

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
More likely they just identified a BigMac floating through space, several thousand years old, and it still looks the same as it does when it was made.

That, or they just noticed the heavenly plughole.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

rayuki
so how big is it? if it has rings and a possible moon how can it not be classified as a planet??

This asteroid is approx 258 km in diameter.

It can't be classified as a planet because it hasn't cleared its orbital neighbourhood of other similarly-sized objects. It's orbit also grazes the orbit of Uranus, which a planet cannot do.
edit on 26-3-2014 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   

How convenient a leak. The world needs more plumbers.
According to the article this information is under strict embargo until the appointed time so not sure of this "leak".
edit on AMu31u0331325312014-03-26T08:25:45-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

edit on AMu31u0331346312014-03-26T08:46:14-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

The Oork cloud? Is that where Robin Williams came from ? Will Orson be making the announcement or will Mork? LOL. Typo I know just adding a little levity.
2:00 EST still a little more than four hours.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Well this is bizarre, a press conference to make an announcement for a new discovery?

I thought the new way of releasing new discoveries to the public was via a documentary?

Strange the Baltic Sea UFO is waiting to release the documentary first to announce what they found instead of the other way around? Uhm

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

interupt42
Well this is bizarre, a press conference to make an announcement for a new discovery?

I thought the new way of releasing new discoveries to the public was via a documentary?

Strange the Baltic Sea UFO is waiting to release the documentary first to announce what they found instead of the other way around? Uhm

Media companies make documentaries, but the news first needs to be told to Media by scientists.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

wildespace

interupt42

Media companies make documentaries, but the news first needs to be told to Media by scientists.

Yeah, that was my point. I should have inserted a /sarcasm tag.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

AutumnWitch657

They said at the edge of our solar system . Voyager only took seven years to reach it why would a comet take a million years ?

Not to nitpick...but I thought that Voyager 1 didn't "officially" leave the Solar System until August 2012 - and since it launched in September 1977 that would mean it took 35 years to get to the edge of the solar system...

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Brucee

A few years ago it was announces they had found a diamond the size of a planet. Strange things can be found in space and because gold is formed by an exploding star it may well be that somewhere a goldnugget the size of a planet is next to be spotted.

It will always amaze me what space has to offer and will be looking forward what they will have to reveal this time....But as in many cases probably nothing interesting for the non-astroscientists.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

They don't know what it is yet. The documentary just has dive and rov footage. They are still trying to secure funding for more dives. Plus, the documentary is already released. I've seen it.
edit on 3/26/2014 by fenson76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
OK, the official anouncement is up: www.eso.org...

he team found that the ring system consists of two sharply confined rings only seven and three kilometres wide, separated by a clear gap of nine kilometres — around a small 250-kilometre diameter object orbiting beyond Saturn.

"For me, it was quite amazing to realise that we were able not only to detect a ring system, but also pinpoint that it consists of two clearly distinct rings," adds Uffe Gråe Jørgensen (Niels Bohr Institute, University of Copenhagen, Denmark), one of the team. "I try to imagine how it would be to stand on the surface of this icy object — small enough that a fast sports car could reach escape velocity and drive off into space — and stare up at a 20-kilometre wide ring system 1000 times closer than the Moon."

Although many questions remain unanswered, astronomers think that this sort of ring is likely to be formed from debris left over after a collision. It must be confined into the two narrow rings by the presence of small putative satellites.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

ngchunter

InverseLookingGlass
reply to post by ngchunter

An open parabola means the orbital period is infinite. I guess you could say that is long.

You mean parabolic orbit? Those aren't uncommon either, it doesn't take much to perturb a cometary body at Oort cloud distances into a parabolic or hyperbolic orbit.

Open parabola is equivalent to hyperbola. I made no assertion about statistical frequency.

Some external kick had to be involved. I believe that has strong consensus.

Passing stars, dwarf planets, gravitational tidal forces, any number of things. Like I said, it doesn't take much at all, just a few meters per second.

So, according to you, any number of things can cause a virgin comet, in orbit around our sun to re route to the inner solar system for us to see. Can you name one single event that has been directly observed? Name one single "passing star" or name a dwarf planet that has been observed directly altering an orbit of an Oort cloud object. keep it to the ones discovered before your wrote the post. not this one announced today.

I might remind those reading this, that the Oort cloud is prevailing theory, not proven fact. In addition, the source of the gravitational "kick" for "long period comets" could be a large mass object far away or unknown planetesimals orbiting the Sun outside the orbit of the Kuiper belt. In terms of the prevailing model, and observations of comets during recorded history, the large body orbiting the Sun kicking comets in, is more probable. The dynamics and time scale of passing stars just doesn't fit the time distribution of long period comets.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong. The source of perturbation could not be "a" large mass object far away, let alone is that "more probable." Try doing your research before promoting ignorance. As I already said, long period comets, including parabolic and hyperbolic comets, come from all directions. So do explain how "a large body orbiting the sun kicking comets in" is more plausible than random perturbations from a variety of sources? It does not fit the facts, it's not even possible. You are trying to force fit a singular cause that you want to believe in, but it does not fit.

The Oort cloud may include countless planetesimals and objects at different sizes at all orientations orbiting the sun. I guess when the Oort cloud can actually be observed we'll find out if you are right. It is possible and does fit the observations

You just ranted about any number of things perturbing the Oort cloud which , by the way, has never been directly observed. I realize everything is linked to everything else so don't bother with Philosophy. Just concentrate your formidable logic on objects that are relevant to this topic. You've got a lot of balls claiming I'm promoting ignorance so answer my questions quickly please or go away. A 0.1 Earth mass object pulling on a 0.001 Earth mass object at a distance of 1AU applies orders of magnitude more force than Proxima Centauri does on a 0.001 Earth mass object in the Oort cloud. Quit stroking your ego for a moment and put the numbers in yourself. gravitaional force calculator
edit on 26-3-2014 by InverseLookingGlass because: added info

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join