It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ESO will make a press conference to Announce Discovery in Outer Solar System!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

bobs_uruncle
reply to post by Brucee

Why is it that these bloody announcements come out like they are coming from a game show host? Wait for it now, let's build the suspense, we're going to tell you, just now, a few heartbeats, get that anticipation going.

It's retarded!

It's not a game show or reality TV. Has science sunk this low?

Cheers - Dave

They want their announcements to get noticed (especially noticed by the scientific community).

More notoriety can create greater peer acceptance , Greater peer acceptance can mean more grant money. More grant money means they can study more of what they want to study. One way to get noticed is to create a little anticipation.

edit on 3/25/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
It saddens me to see that sensationalism and doom mongering has desensitized the general public to what are actually truly fascinating scientific discoveries. It's no wonder we can't get any support for any serious exploration programs. If it doesn't look like the movie Armageddon, people don't want it.
edit on 25-3-2014 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Brucee

I've seen this a million times - well not that many, but... It starts out with ATS speculating about nibiru or alien ships or a missing star or rips in space/time or something similarly spectacular; their imagination fires uncontrollably. In reality, it'll be something like "We correlated and cross-analyzed data from thousands of outer asteroids and larger bodies, using new techniques we learned from analyzing the infared halo surrounding local galaxies, and have concluded the heliosphere is not uniform across its boundaries as is popularly thought. Additionally, we found hints of perturbations in the waveform of the outgoing solar windbelt, suggesting the evolution of smaller to larger bodies does not fit the current models for hte time periods studied. These findings should cause the community to reevaluate these processes and create new model revisions and heliosphere insights."

Insert lots of science-speak and dramatically lower expectations. BUT keep in mind for scientists this is amazing new information with lots of opportunities. For most average people it's like attending a math club meeting at the library.

You really have to understand the science - i think - to enjoy it.
edit on 25-3-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Brucee

I think it's this: www.wral.com...

I did a search on Google for the researcher's name (Felipe Braga-Ribas) and it pulled up a single article posted about 30 minutes ago on the WRAL website. The page has since been removed, but I guess Google's engine found it just in time. There is only this bit of text available on the Google news page:

Brazlian researchers discover asteroid with rings
WRAL.com-32 minutes ago
says Felipe Braga-Ribas (Observatório Nacional/MCTI) author of the paper. Researchers observed Chariklo during a June 2013 occultation ...

Doesn't sound like a missing planet to me.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Soylent Green Is People

bobs_uruncle
reply to post by Brucee

Why is it that these bloody announcements come out like they are coming from a game show host? Wait for it now, let's build the suspense, we're going to tell you, just now, a few heartbeats, get that anticipation going.

It's retarded!

It's not a game show or reality TV. Has science sunk this low?

Cheers - Dave

They want their announcements to get noticed (especially noticed by the scientific community).

More notoriety can create greater peer acceptance , Greater peer acceptance can mean more grant money. More grant money means they can study more of what they want to study. One way to get noticed is to create a little anticipation.

edit on 3/25/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

I don't give a flying f*** about ratings, I just want the straight goods and no BS. It's science, but then I see this a lot in universities, everything is so bloody commercial it's ridiculous. If something is valid, it get's noticed, if it's hyperbole, it get's tossed after it's been announced.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

oriondc
reply to post by Brucee

I think it's this: www.wral.com...

Good find oriondc ...

I did a search on Google for the researcher's name (Felipe Braga-Ribas) and it pulled up a single article posted about 30 minutes ago on the WRAL website. The page has since been removed, but I guess Google's engine found it just in time. There is only this bit of text available on the Google news page:

Brazlian researchers discover asteroid with rings
WRAL.com-32 minutes ago
says Felipe Braga-Ribas (Observatório Nacional/MCTI) author of the paper. Researchers observed Chariklo during a June 2013 occultation ...

Doesn't sound like a missing planet to me.

Using a different search engine for Felipe Braga-Ribas I came up with this bit of info.For reference TNO refers to a trans-Neptunian object.

The TNO December Rally 2013
www.iota-es.de...

Possible occultation of TNO 2002 VE95 visible from Europe on 22nd of December 2013

If you look for occultations by TNOs it is very hard to get around the work of Felipe Braga-Ribas and Bruno Sicardy. On their web-pages 3 occultations by TNOs can be found. One of them is likely to be observable from parts of Europe.

The TNO object is 2002 VE95, a Plutino, which has a resonance of 2:3 with Neptune. From observations with the Herschel Telescope it may have a diameter of around 250km. More information about the occulting object can be found at en.wikipedia.org...-jpldata-3

The occultation, where the occultation track is closest for Europe, is on the 22nd of December. The occultation track based on latest astrometry is hitting southern Europe.

The graph of the occultations are taken from Felipe Braga-Ribas website.

From Felipe Braga-Ribas website
devel2.linea.gov.br...

2014 stellar Occultations by TNOs and Centaurs: Campaigns
Here you find predictions to selected stellar occultations by TNOs/Centaurs, that are under campaign. We will do our best to update the prediction maps, so be alert for changes in this page (last update on 09/March/2014). If you can observe (or know who can) any of these occultations, please contact us (ribas-at-on.br or bruno.sicardy-at-obspm.fr).

More information about the predictions can be found in Bruno Sicardy's web page and in Assafin et al. 2010 (for Pluto system predictions), Assafin et al. 2012 (for the TNO predictions) and Camargo et al. 2014 (for TNO and Centaur predictions). Please, do references about the predictions to Assafin et al. 2010 and 2012 or Camargo et al 2014 papers. Some predictions are done with our own ephemeris, this is indicated on the top of the maps as NIMA ephem. NIMA-ephemeris is calculated by Josselin Desmars and provided by a numerical integration of the motion of the asteroid and by a fit to asteroid's observations. The observations come from Minor Planet Center and our own observations made at ESO, Pic du Midi and OPD.***

Des

edit on 25-3-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

ngchunter

Quadrivium

benrl
Or it could be something as mundane as a variation in the Ort cloud we did not expect.

Scientist get excited for things, most normal people would shrug at.

Ill hope for something Monumental, but its probably a surprise in minor planetoids (like pluto) or some other abstract concept they have miss calculated.

While advancing human knowledge, does little for the here and now, just trying to maintain perspective.

Nasa press breifings have burned any excitement outta me for these things.

Or it might be that they have actually found evidence that the Oort Cloud exists. It is currently only a working hypothesis. .....correct?

No, it's much more than that. We can see the aphelion distances of long period comets, so unless the laws of celestial mechanics are fundamentally and completely wrong, yes it exists. Those comets, even the ones with high eccentric orbits that brought them very close to the sun, spent most of their orbit and most of their lives far from the sun at Oort cloud distances. While we have yet to be able to observe any at Oort cloud distances in orbits that do not bring them into the inner solar system, that is simply because there's not enough light reflecting from dark cometary bodies at those distances for us to detect them. Nevertheless, we know that the Oort cloud exists in some form or another because we can see long period comets that came from that region. The exact characteristics and distribution of Oort cloud bodies remains to be seen and probably won't be seen in our lifetimes. But there is a difference between that and simply dismissing the Oort cloud's existence as a mere "working hypothesis."

No, it really is not more than a working hypothesis. I am not saying it does not exist, just that there is no "concrete" evidence.
Quad

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by oriondc

Think u nailed it. It's about as interesting as declaring you found sand on a beach though.

edit on 25-3-2014 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Quadrivium

ngchunter

Quadrivium

benrl
Or it could be something as mundane as a variation in the Ort cloud we did not expect.

Ill hope for something Monumental, but its probably a surprise in minor planetoids (like pluto) or some other abstract concept they have miss calculated.

While advancing human knowledge, does little for the here and now, just trying to maintain perspective.

Or it might be that they have actually found evidence that the Oort Cloud exists. It is currently only a working hypothesis. .....correct?

No, it's much more than that. We can see the aphelion distances of long period comets, so unless the laws of celestial mechanics are fundamentally and completely wrong, yes it exists. Those comets, even the ones with high eccentric orbits that brought them very close to the sun, spent most of their orbit and most of their lives far from the sun at Oort cloud distances. While we have yet to be able to observe any at Oort cloud distances in orbits that do not bring them into the inner solar system, that is simply because there's not enough light reflecting from dark cometary bodies at those distances for us to detect them. Nevertheless, we know that the Oort cloud exists in some form or another because we can see long period comets that came from that region. The exact characteristics and distribution of Oort cloud bodies remains to be seen and probably won't be seen in our lifetimes. But there is a difference between that and simply dismissing the Oort cloud's existence as a mere "working hypothesis."

No, it really is not more than a working hypothesis. I am not saying it does not exist, just that there is no "concrete" evidence.
Quad

Again, you're wrong. It is much more than a working hypothesis and I don't care how many times you want to deny it. We can see the aphelion distances of long period comets, so unless the laws of celestial mechanics are fundamentally and completely wrong, yes it exists. What part of that do you not understand?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
damn I just wanted to make a thread, but seems like we already have one.
I am really looking forward to it.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Hmmm Could Be ??

Something similar to this

a Dead Star ( Brown Dwarf )

a Binary Star System we have ? Perhaps

Or Found Planets from another Galaxy.. one of the few Dwarf Galaxy's that The Milky Way has Merged With.

a Planet or Star Brown Red etc.. not of our Own.

Rogue planet
en.wikipedia.org...

Nomad Alien Planets May Fill Our Milky Way Galaxy
SPACE.com Staff | February 24, 2012 06:40am ET
www.space.com...

Lonely Rogue Worlds Surprisingly Outnumber Planets with Suns
Mike Wall, SPACE.com Senior Writer | May 18, 2011 01:00pm ET
www.space.com...

Rogue star
en.wikipedia.org...

Rogue Stars: The Miscreants of Our Galaxy
by Andrea Thompson, Staff Writer | January 29, 2008 05:51am ET
www.space.com...

FAU Physicist Develops Mathematical Method to Find Satellite Galaxies
by Staff Writers
Boca Raton, FL (SPX) Sep 26, 2011
www.spacedaily.com...

Satellite galaxy's

Sagittarius Dwarf Spheroidal Galaxy, Canis Major Overdensity , Sculptor Dwarf , Ursa Major I & II, Bootes Dwarf,Large Magellanic Cloud, Small Magellanic Cloud

just a hunch,

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

butcherguy
NIBURU!
There, I said it first.....
Not that I believe it.

Actually the op mentioned it first

You mentioned it again

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

ngchunter

Quadrivium

ngchunter

Quadrivium

benrl

Quad

Again, you're wrong. It is much more than a working hypothesis and I don't care how many times you want to deny it. We can see the aphelion distances of long period comets, so unless the laws of celestial mechanics are fundamentally and completely wrong, yes it exists. What part of that do you not understand?

Not sure why you want to argue with me..........I did not say it does not exist.
I said it is a working hypothesis. Perhaps when you calm down a little you could research what that means. Then apply what you learn to what we know about the Oork Cloud.
I said in my first post that perhaps they have found EVIDENCE that it exist. Not that it does not exist.
Calm down bro.
Quad

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Oh my, look at this: en.wikipedia.org...

On March 26th, 2014 a team lead by Brazilian astronomers announced the discovery of rings around Chariklo by watching a stellar occultation using ESO facilities.

Reference: archived WRAL article

The European Southern Observatory announced this week the discovery of rings around an asteroid 1.4 billion miles from Earth. Chariklo is the largest of the class of asteroids orbiting the sun between Saturn and Uranus known as Centaurs. Results were published online today in the journal Nature.

Rings are not an unusual feature in the solar system. Each of the outer planets: Jupiter, Uranus, Neptune and of course Saturn have rings. However Chariklo is the smallest ringed body found to date.

Just 160 miles wide, Chariklo's ring system spans 12 miles with a five-mile gap between two dense rings.

"We weren't looking for a ring and didn't think small bodies like Chariklo had them at all, so the discovery – and the amazing amount of detail we saw in the system – came as a complete surprise!" says Felipe Braga-Ribas (Observatório Nacional/MCTI) author of the paper.

Researchers observed Chariklo during a June 2013 occultation visible only from South America. As the asteroid passed in front of star UCAC4 248-108672, the star's brightness dimmed as expected. However it also dimmed seconds before and after. Comparisons of observations made from seven telescopes allowed researchers to construct a detailed view of the asteroid as well as the shape, width and orientation of the rings.

The rings, provisionally named Oiapoque and Chuí for rivers in Brazil, may be debris created by a past collision.

"So, as well as the rings, it's likely that Chariklo has at least one small moon still waiting to be discovered," added Ribas.

[Edit] The Wikipedia article has been edited to remove the news that is "still under embargo". Good job I copy&pasted it here.

Rings around an asteroid, now that is news-worthy!

[2nd Edit] Just found another source through Google: Click!
edit on 25-3-2014 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Wolfenz
a Dead Star ( Brown Dwarf )

a Binary Star System we have ? Perhaps

No.
iopscience.iop.org...
And sure enough, it's rings around a centaur asteroid, not doom, and not a "binary to our star."

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
nm
edit on 25-3-2014 by MysterX because: deleted

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Well this doesn't sound good.

From www.infonetstra.com -

Our correspondent observed several of the astronomers weeping and shaking their heads. Some were mumbling what sounded like, " No, no, no it can't be, it just can't." A reporter from another news organization mentioned to our correspondent that an unnamed source told her that photos show huge swaths of black fabric miles long and held up by 2x4's. Behind the structures were row upon row of theater seats stretching to infinity.

So, like shouldn't we be getting paid or something? Man, I don't even have a SAG card.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Brucee

I emailed Gustavo Rojas to gain access to the media briefing online...his reponse..

Dear Joe
the press conference will be broadcasted to media members only, not for the general public.
Best Regards,
Gustavo.

... may there always be starlight on your path ...
What a gentleman.

It really sux because ANYTHING that would influence mainstream will be blocked from us :-(

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Interesting news

So asteroids can have rings too...

Well, I guess it's now possible to think that descriptions of a planet or celestial body with "wings" doesn't necessarily have to mean a planet or a comet. It could have simply been an X-Large asteroid w/ rings swooping by Earth thousands of years ago.

Everybody wins

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Brucee

I don't have any proof of this but I have a feeling they have discovered MH370 beyond Pluto. And yes I am wearing a tinfoil hat.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join