It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Special Forces Storm Crimea Base

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Russian special forces have stormed a Ukrainian airforce base in Crimea, smashing through two walls, with one Ukrainian soldier reported shot.

It comes after a deadline to hand over the compound to Russia expired at 12.30 GMT.

"They came through the walls in armoured personnel carriers, said Sky News Chief Correspondent Stuart Ramsay, at the Belbek base.

Russian Special Forces Storm Crimea Base

Yet another escalation in the ongoing conflict between Russia and the Ukraine

A Massive attack on a Ukrainian military base by Russian Special Forces with reports of injured Ukrainian troops.

According to the BBC

Reports say at least one person was injured during the assault on Belbek base, near Sevastopol. The base is now said to be under Russian control.

And CNN have reported that a journalist was injured

Six Russian special forces' armored personnel carriers broke through the gates of Belbek Airbase, firing warning shots into the air, a spokesman for Ukraine's Ministry of Defense in Crimea, Vladislav Seleznyov, told CNN.

One journalist was injured in the attack, he said. Once inside, the Russians lined up the Ukrainians in one place.

Hear is some footage of the attack

edit on 22-3-2014 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Hasn't the ukrainian military personnel been given permission to defend themselves? (Themselves, not the base)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Accidental post
edit on 22-3-2014 by andr3w68 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
So, (almost) a week later ukranian troops still occupy bases in crimean territory? Very western, but its clear the russians have had enough western stalling of the situation...
Sad thing if soldiers die, but thats what they are ultimately paid for.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

I give it a week before Russia invades the East and South of Ukraine.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Then im guessing Ukraine should probably refrain from occupying a foreign nations military bases in the future then. Countries generaly frown upon that sort of stuff.
edit on 22-3-2014 by Bellor because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Xcathdra

You have been telling us similar for the last 10 days, anything new?

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

It kinda makes one wonder what secret deadlines Putin needs to meet. He probably has only a couple weeks left with these sanctions before Russians start protesting him. Imho Sanctions will only lead to all out war. Russia has a huge economy and we are all intertwined. I predict this will only end badly.

I live behind camp Pendleton range and airfield. Alot more activity then normal these last 3 weeks. Can anyone concur?

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Good on the Ukrainian soldiers for standing their ground in their respective bases across Crimea for as long as they did. Not only was the vote in Crimea illegal but Russia are continuing to breach the UN Charter, international law and the Budapest Memorandum. Crimea still is and will always be Ukrainian territory regardless of the sham vote that took place under the control of thousands of Russian soldiers and Russian influences.

The West needs to stand by Ukraine. However it's clear from what we seen today that Vladimir Putin doesn't care about the sanctions imposed. Maybe it's time to follow an alternative avenue.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorT

Why so serious professorT?

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Let the Russians keep taking on the Ukrainian National Guard. It will lead to complacency. It always does.

Russia is an occupational force at the moment. Let them have their head and let the soldiers get their bravado into a full charge. It will make things a lot easier when/if we have to go in an lay them down.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I just realized that in barely over a month Russia managed to organized a victorious referendum and is now in control of a huge area in Crimea which includes a military base with naval fleet, airports, etc.....all this done with just one casualty.

This is looking like an almost perfect plan succeeding without much trouble..........yet.

edit on 22-3-2014 by Agartha because: SPAG

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
And as usual Ukraine will not lift a FINGER to defend

I appreciate russia are the bigger force and yar-de-yar but at the end of the day Ukraine are coming across ridiculously weak and team and like absolute push overs.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

ProfessorT
Good on the Ukrainian soldiers for standing their ground.

Standing their ground?
thats a laugh
Ukraine soldiers havent even fired a shot..

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorT

Yes and we need to remember folks. Everything that you read and see at this moment is factual based propaganda. Governments use nationalism to push agendas on to the populace. We generally accept what they say because it is natural to do so. The reality is that economies run the government, and when the future is uncertain. Governments will do anything to ensure they last the longest.
I believe we are in a race folks. Its not going to get better, we will just have to accept that this is our future and if we are lucky enough. Our childrens future as well.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Yusomad

Xcathdra

Russia has been sending in special forces in those areas to continue the unrest.

Russia agreed to OSCE observers to enter and look around, but then told them they were not allowed in Crimea.
The continued increase of Russian forces along the border in the East and South.

The Russian troops that crossed over from Crimea into Ukraine proper, taking a city / gas plant.

Their continued coverage of "unrest" in the south and east.

Finally - the fact Obama has no spine and made the statement in the media the US wont get involved militarily in Ukraine. I don't know about you, but that pretty much gave Putin a free pass.

also, its been a few days, not a week.
edit on 22-3-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Xcathdra

Yusomad

Xcathdra

Russia has been sending in special forces in those areas to continue the unrest.

Russia agreed to OSCE observers to enter and look around, but then told them they were not allowed in Crimea.
The continued increase of Russian forces along the border in the East and South.

The Russian troops that crossed over from Crimea into Ukraine proper, taking a city / gas plant.

Their continued coverage of "unrest" in the south and east.

Finally - the fact Obama has no spine and made the statement in the media the US wont get involved militarily in Ukraine. I don't know about you, but that pretty much gave Putin a free pass.

also, its been a few days, not a week.
edit on 22-3-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

So, some perceived (on your part) wrongdoing by the russians, who are just shoring the crimean border against the coupist forces and the likely inflow of refugees form western ukraine after the neonazis in power have their way.

So nothing new then?

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
pointless
edit on 2014u46201403pm22 by Yusomad because: waste of time

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   

It's a shame that the Ukraine government let it's troops and bases be taken. The soldiers weren't even armed so they didn't have orders to defend the base or themselves. If they were allowed to leave they could have gotten their ships and planes out but they didn't. Basically their leaders left them there to die. Not good for the moral of the rest of the troops or the people. Politicians have some strange games.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Bellor

huh? as i recall criema was part of ukraine not russia so what nonsense are you speaking of? this is getting comical with how far people are going to defend russia, russia invades yet the ones they invaded and occupy are called the invaders?

i mean before this situation i put the russian defenders and such to the side, thinking nothing of it and that there were some valid points being made of western aggression even if i didn't agree on some points, but now after this incident i'm starting to think there might be an active anti-western propaganda operation that's been going on from within for years which gained a foothold using our actions in the middle east and our populations anti-war sentiment to turn us on our own nations, the best way to defeat your enemy is through their own actions after all, by making them destroy themselves with distorted truths.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join