It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FACEBOOK rushes to defense of dog that mauled 4-year-old boy...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

intelligenthoodlum33
reply to post by XTexan

You, sir sound like a responsible dog owner.

Thank you, but it takes being a responsible parent also. My dogs would not attack my son for any reason, they were trained well in that regard. They will cower and come to me or my wife if he were to do anything bad. They, of course, were easier to train than my son, lol. But even he knows now, and he's only 2, to show them the utmost respect. He also knows to never approach a a dog he doesn't know and he knows not to take anything of theirs, bones, toys, i.e.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by StallionDuck

The parents should be held responsible, not the dog.

I don't understand how people can justify putting such a high powered breed together with their children. It is not like pits have a good reputation to begin with. Food aggression which I assume from the attack over a bone, is fairly evident to anyone with eyes and a brain, certainly over time.

At this point no one knows what kind of conditions the dog and the child lived in. If I were making the call as to whether or not to euthanize the dog I would certainly investigate the type of environment the animal was subjected to. Aggression is a sign of a chaotic mind and environment. For all we know the dog may have been subjected to abuse.

This is a wait and see for me.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Sure I'll be the first to say, " That kid got was coming to em' ". Just because a child was involved and not an adult changes nothing for me. But by the logic I've seen typed here today, I should want to kill an animal that does something I don't like no matter what caused said animal to act in such a manner. So the next time someone gets attacked for trying to take something from someone and the person who's items were almost burgled throws a beating to the one who attempted to burgle said property, does that mean I can go kill said person because I didn't like the way they handled the situation? Mind you in no way am I saying the child should have known what the dog was going to do, just that the dog did what was natural. It is purely the caregivers fault for not keeping an eye on one's responsibilities. And another thing, if the dog was known to be on the property a simple " Hey, don't mess with the dog's food he/she doesn't like that " would've solved this issue I do believe.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I understand the sentiment behind the "Dog Supporters" but this is a bit misguided. I'm a dog owner, and as any good dog owners/trainers know, a dog is a predator. You should always respect the dog as a predator no matter how cute and adorable they are.

I have a little female dog, she's adorable and very playful. I don't believe for a second she'd purposefully hurt any child HOWEVER she's a predator, so I would NEVER leave my dog alone with a baby or a small child. Why? Because children do things exactly like this child did and reach down and take away the bone. That's an aggressive act towards a dog.

This does not excuse the dog, I love my dog like a member of my family(my daughter) but I would put her down in a heartbeat if she ever bit anyone or even another dog. It's not acceptable.

So yes, inform people how to respect dogs and inform children how to respect dogs, but never is it excusable for a dog to maul a child. The people should be ashamed of themselves.

The majority of the fault lies with the dog owner who was not supervising his dog and failed to properly train the dog to not be aggressive towards others.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by StallionDuck

People siding with the dog have adopted an animalistic set of values and projected human intentions on the dog, it's an indicator they lack empathy. Yet they still live amongst humans and you can't tell by their initial appearance that anything is wrong. They may even identify more closely with inanimate objects than they do with other people.

The clinical term is sociopath. Do yourself a big favor and eliminate these people from your life at all costs. Evil stalks them and it always will.

Of course dogs are not capable of evil so in a sense they are innocent, just like the ticking time bomb or loaded gun is innocent. Justice should be applied at the root of the evil/negligence --the human actor.

In extreme cases, the state of being dangerous is sufficient cause to eliminate the threat regardless of it's innocence. For example, a live hand grenade is innocent but at this time, I can't "open carry" them in coffee shops.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

XTexan

intelligenthoodlum33
reply to post by XTexan

You, sir sound like a responsible dog owner.

Thank you, but it takes being a responsible parent also. My dogs would not attack my son for any reason, they were trained well in that regard. They will cower and come to me or my wife if he were to do anything bad. They, of course, were easier to train than my son, lol. But even he knows now, and he's only 2, to show them the utmost respect. He also knows to never approach a a dog he doesn't know and he knows not to take anything of theirs, bones, toys, i.e.

this is a made up statistic but I'd say over 60% of dog owners have no way near the knowledge and determination of to train their dogs how you do,m or in fact teach their kids how to be around their dogs and others. If all people had this kind of attitude then this type of # wouldn't happen. But because the world is full of people who are dumb as #, we have to put things in place so their dumbness doesn't effect anybody else..Like this story and the other dozen I'v heard of this year alone.

I don't particularly like my country, the UK, but at least dogs that are bred for violence are banned here and if you are found with the dog it is taken off you and you are given a hefty fine. Yeah everybody should be allowed to do wtf they want and own what they want, but like I said people are dumb as #

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   

MyMindIsMyOwn

XTexan
I didn't see it in the article so I'll ask. Was this dog a member of the boys household or did it belong to someone else? IF the dog was chained up on the property of someone else then it is the babysitter's fault all the way. I'm curious as to why this info isn't in the article.

On Feb. 20, a 4-year-old boy in Phoenix, Ariz., was badly injured after he entered a neighbor's yard and picked up a bone lying near a 5-year-old pit bull.
Cleveland.com article - Source

Here is the answer to your question...and no... it was not in the OP's sourced article.

Thank you for the info, though it does leave out if this was the front or backyard. This is important but from what I see I do not blame the dog and he should not be put down. The babysitter ALLOWED this child to go in a neighbors yard, where a dog was chained up. Extreme luck of supervision and/or judgement. If the dog being chained up in the front yard was legal, then I find no fault with the dog owners either.

In my state, negligence which leads to the injury of child is child abuse and you can go to jail. This is no different than the babysitter not paying attention and the child running into the street and getting hit by a school bus.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
While I feel so bad for the child, I have to side with those saying it's the care giver to the child who is at fault here. We have had dogs since my daughter was newborn (golden retriever, shepherd mix, lab mix). I always knew where my child was in relation to our dogs. Though we never had any problems whatsoever with our dogs, I knew better than to let her get close to them when they were eating or chewing a chew toy. By the time she was 4 yrs old, my daughter knew the rule about staying away from a dog's food. ANY dog is capable of this, not just a pit bull.

It appears the child wandered into the neighbor's yard where the dog was. That means it's definitely not the dog owner's fault.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

Thanks for the link. I normally investigate before posting, still on my first cup.

That information changes the discussion all together. I predict a long life for the dog. I hope it is a happy one.

We really need a pets/animal forum for these subjects.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I didn't realize Facebook was actually an effective means of swaying a judicial decision. I suspect that little boy's face - or lack thereof - is more than enough to prevent a social networking site from having more than a cursory vote in the case. Incidentally, I'm a little miffed that people have resorted to clicking "like" in lieu of picking up a sign and standing vigil outside a courthouse or hospital. I'm a huge supporter of digital interaction, particularly where physically connecting with a community is more than a small hurdle, but this is getting ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
So the dog was potentially minding it's own business, safely chained up on it's own property, enjoying a bone when an unsupervised child enters said garden and tries to take it's bone from it?

Is that the actual course of events do we know?

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
If you own a potentially dangerous animal it should be your responsibility to make sure that animal is trained.

Also, dangerous things should not be easily accessible. If this kid found a gun and shot himself or someone else, people would be asking, "How did he get access to the gun?" Same rules should apply.

In many places you need a license to fish, but any fool can own a dog.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

khimbar
So the dog was potentially minding it's own business, safely chained up on it's own property, enjoying a bone when an unsupervised child enters said garden and tries to take it's bone from it?

Is that the actual course of events do we know?

We don't know if it was the front or backyard, local ordinance could make front yard illegal, and we don't know for sure if the child was unsupervised.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

DexteramLucifer

Sure I'll be the first to say, " That kid got was coming to em' ". Just because a child was involved and not an adult changes nothing for me. But by the logic I've seen typed here today, I should want to kill an animal that does something I don't like no matter what caused said animal to act in such a manner. So the next time someone gets attacked for trying to take something from someone and the person who's items were almost burgled throws a beating to the one who attempted to burgle said property, does that mean I can go kill said person because I didn't like the way they handled the situation? Mind you in no way am I saying the child should have known what the dog was going to do, just that the dog did what was natural. It is purely the caregivers fault for not keeping an eye on one's responsibilities. And another thing, if the dog was known to be on the property a simple " Hey, don't mess with the dog's food he/she doesn't like that " would've solved this issue I do believe.

Was the kid planning on selling the bone on the street like thieves do with stolen objects seeing how you used the break in scenario. Are you placing people on the same level as dogs? Dogs know the difference between an adult and a child and the only dogs that attack children are violent ones. The mutt needs to be put down.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Dogs know the difference between an adult and a child and the only dogs that attack children are violent ones. The mutt needs to be put down.

I need to inform you that animals don't possess the same reasoning skills that people have. They tend to be reactionary depending on the training or the environment they live in. However some people tend to think like animals.

Let's just hope that calmer more informed minds are making the decision as to the fate of this dog.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I don't know if anyone caught it in the story, but this dog is responsible for attacking and killing another dog.

Too many warning signs.

If the dog is aggressive, why did the neighbor not have a fence put up?

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

buster2010

DexteramLucifer

Was the kid planning on selling the bone on the street like thieves do with stolen objects seeing how you used the break in scenario. Are you placing people on the same level as dogs? Dogs know the difference between an adult and a child and the only dogs that attack children are violent ones. The mutt needs to be put down.

I disagree with the example dexter gave, but I also disagree with you also. Dogs can attack anyone, even children for far more reasons than a violent personality. The dog only cares about the difference between an adult and a child if it is trained to. This UNSUPERVISED 4 year old was ALLOWED to wander onto someone else's property while a large breed dog was chained up on it. The only adult reported on scene was the person who was responsible for the child. Pending any more info which may come out of this case, that adult bears the blame for this incident.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
No amount of training will ensure your dog doesn't go nuts and bite someone.
Dogs can lose it just like human beings and sorry but you can not say "My dog will never do this because I have trained it" Of course training a dog is the correct thing to do but don't lie and tell me you know the future.
The dog has to be put down Iam sorry, I have experienced a dog that should have been put down but was saved by a dog lover....that dog bit me twice, bit customers in the pub at least 4 times and bit a 98 year old lady in town. (the owner paid her off btw not to report the beast).
If a dog bites someone it should be put down.

Poor kid I hope the scars heal well.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

How about this example?

I have an alligator chained up in my yard and it mauls a child. Do I bear any responsibility?

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Put the dog down. if a dog did this to my child, I would risk prison and put that dog out of it's misery with my bare hands.

My dogs don't try to kill children when they pick up a bone. That happens with kids. This dog clearly needs to be put down. Those idiots on facebook clearly don't care about children or know anything about dogs. This dog owner should not be allowed to own dogs.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join