It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FACEBOOK rushes to defense of dog that mauled 4-year-old boy...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Just to add to my story the woman who paid to have that dog knowing full well what it was like is one of those people who loves dogs more than humans.
Disgusting human being to be honest and anyone who loves dogs more than humans should just go out in the wild and become a dog.
Hate those types of people....traitors to humanity lol.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Oh really?
Why was the child near a chained up dog? Where was the person watching the child? Had the child been told NOT to go near the dog?

Responsible dog owners teach their children some type of dog safety, we don't know if that was done here or not.

Sorry, lots of unanswered questions here, that could have had the same result, with any dog.
And I did agree the dog should be put down.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

intelligenthoodlum33
reply to post by XTexan

How about this example?

I have an alligator chained up in my yard and it mauls a child. Do I bear any responsibility?

IF having an alligator chained up in your yard is legal in your jurisdiction, and the child comes onto your property without your knowledge and/or consent then I would say the fault would be on the person who is in charge of the child.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

DexteramLucifer
It's not the dog's fault. As was clearly stated in the op, the child was in the act of picking up the dogs bone. I dare you to name any breed of dog that's just going to let someone walk up it take it's food.

Okay. I have an akita, a golden retriever and a chihuahua. Any human being can walk up stick their hand in their dish and take food out of it because they were trained to not be food aggressive. If you have a dog you have a responsibility to train them to get along with people so that things like this don't happen. If you cannot guarantee the dog is safe it is your responsibility as an owner to control contact so there is not a circumstance where some one can get hurt. This is a responsibility to other people and even more a responsibility to the dog, because if you fail the animal's life is forfeit. This owner failed. It's very sad but the dog has demonstrated it is too dangerous be around people.

Put the dog down and fine the crap out of the owner and try to make sure they can't (at least legally) have another dog again.

DexteramLuciferThat dog doesn't know that child meant no harm, all it knows is that there was an immediate threat to it's food source and acted accordingly. Just as most everyone here happily claims to have no problem putting a bullet in a wanna be thief, so to did the dog protect his/her property ( by any means necessary ).
edit on 17-3-2014 by DexteramLucifer because: one to many of the same word

While I acknowledge that what follows is almost certainly a personal attack, I think that your response to this situation demonstrates the typical perspective of those that would defend the dog that mauled a child before they would defend the child. Please keep in mind that while I am making a personal judgment of you here, it is important to me to at least give people a chance to defend yourself and try to prove me wrong.

I feel sorry for the dog but I am saving most of my pity for the child who meant no harm either. My personal opinion of people who shift empathy onto an aggressive animal first in a situation like this is not very high. Even worse, when someone starts making behavioral comparisons to people and animals to justify the aggression in the animal it's a big red flag. I don't know very many people who would put a bullet in a four year old thief, and even more to the point, most dogs can tell an adult human from a child and are more tolerant of them. This dog did not make that distinction, as most people and most other dogs would. The dog made a hierarchal based decision and treated that child like an adult dog. This was about dominance which is what food aggression is inevitably motivated by.

In my experience people who refuse to give their own species first priority are usually not really all that capable of empathy at all. It's an ironic sham. A coat they put on to present a self-righteous, socially acceptable excuse for callousness and cruelty toward other human beings because that is who they are really angry at. Cowardly wolves in sheep's clothing, almost every time. We all judge others I suppose, but I think that you ( like most of the people that are putting money toward saving this dog) are a far more dangerous piece of work than those that would put down a dangerous dog.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

StallionDuck this dog is responsible for attacking and killing another dog.

a killer.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Dogs know the difference between an adult and a child and the only dogs that attack children are violent ones.

BS.

A good friend of ours has a mastiff, great dane mix. The dog had never ever harmed anything. They had a party. The dog was playing with the kids for an hour or more. Then he went up to the porch, and layed in the corner. Another friends 3 year old went up to him. The boy was told several times to leave the dog alone, the idiot mother did nothing. Finally he layed on the dog, and as another adult went to grab the boy, the dog nipped him. One stitch, no mauling, not even a real bite, the doctor said his fang may have got him.

So this was the dogs fault? Sure, he knew the difference between adult and kid, but he had had enough, and didn't want to play. Or be climbed on.

Prime example of idiot parents.

link   
reply to post by redhorse

That was beautiful.

link   

buster2010
What kind of person would want to protect a dog that attacks a child because the kid picked up it's bone? If the dog had killed the child would these people be saying oh well that's what you get for taking a dogs bone. A dog that attacks a child should be put down. If I were this child's parent the first thing I would have done after seeing that my child was ok is to put a bullet through that dogs head.

I dont think I've EVER agreed with you before, but I do agree with you here. Someone's dog attack and hurt my Zack or my nieces is gonna get a bullet

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Awww. Pit Bulls are so sweet!..

Put the parents down while you are at it. They should never have had that thing in the house..

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

HomerinNC

buster2010
What kind of person would want to protect a dog that attacks a child because the kid picked up it's bone? If the dog had killed the child would these people be saying oh well that's what you get for taking a dogs bone. A dog that attacks a child should be put down. If I were this child's parent the first thing I would have done after seeing that my child was ok is to put a bullet through that dogs head.

I dont think I've EVER agreed with you before, but I do agree with you here. Someone's dog attack and hurt my Zack or my nieces is gonna get a bullet

Just be sure to save bullets for the humans that that contributed to the minor being in a position to be harmed by the dog.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Look, I agree here, that the dog should be put down. Apparently? it killed another dog? And severely injured the child.

But let's face some facts here people. The dog, was chained up, in it's own yard, and had a bone taken.
Obviously someone did a crap job of watching this child, and this whole thing could have been avoided had they did their job.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

chiefsmom
Look, I agree here, that the dog should be put down. Apparently? it killed another dog? And severely injured the child.

But let's face some facts here people. The dog, was chained up, in it's own yard, and had a bone taken.
Obviously someone did a crap job of watching this child, and this whole thing could have been avoided had they did their job.

IF the dog was chained up in the front yard (not the backyard), and the owners were not home or it was illegal for them to do so, I would find equal fault with them. Still I wouldn't kill the dog. Fine the owners and use the fine to send the dog to Ceaser Milan or a sanctuary or something of the lot.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by StallionDuck

Sorry. The dog should be put down. Not his fault, but if the dog is food aggressive and has proven he will attack a human... that dog should be killed humanely.

First off, dogs and kids should always be supervised. From the smallest dog to the largest dog, they can hurt, maim and possibly kill a child. Children scurry around like prey and are, in general, enough to excite a prey drive from most dogs. So they need to be supervised. Dogs, on the other hand, will always communicate their intentions; sometimes that communication is subtle, sometimes it's quite obvious. Children don't have the wherewithal to distinguish and interpret these signals, but most adults do.

On a side note: I refrain from "playing rough" with my dogs for one reason: I never never never want my dogs to think that teeth touching human skin is acceptable. I wish more people would teach their dogs this lesson.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

On Feb. 20, a 4-year-old boy in Phoenix, Ariz., was badly injured after he entered a neighbor's yard and picked up a bone lying near a 5-year-old pit bull.

Then the neighbor should be held accountable. You do not put a dog outside in an unfenced yard (especially a pit bull) and expect nothing to happen. Even tied up, dogs have been known to get loose.

I had a Great Dane. My yard is fenced, but that never stopped any kid in the neighborhood from leaning over the fence to tease her. Being a gentle giant, she never did more than bark....and I was always on the porch (just out of view
) to come to her defense.

People need to protect their dogs from the public, as much as the public need to be protected from their dogs.
edit on 10000001010America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

StallionDuck
I don't know if anyone caught it in the story, but this dog is responsible for attacking and killing another dog.

Too many warning signs.

If the dog is aggressive, why did the neighbor not have a fence put up?

Yes, I did see that. But interestingly there are some details that your AP source has left out, not surprising, since fair and neutral 'reporting' seems to be severely lacking these days regardless of the issue. Here are some more details from a USA Today article that may prove interesting to some:

According to a county report on the attack, Kevin was playing with other children in the yard where his baby-sitter had taken him when he ran past Mickey, who was chained. Kevin walked within the radius of the 18-foot chain. The dog caught the boy from behind, took him to the ground and attacked his face, according to the report. Adults were present and pulled the dog off.

Notice, 'where his baby-sitter had taken him'. The baby sitter being the mother of Ms. Villa's boyfriend.

Kevin's baby-sitter is believed to be the mother of the pit bull's owner.

Ms. Villa being the one who accused Mickey of killing her own dog in the past.

Villa said Mickey also killed one of her dogs about seven months ago.

I would think that if someone's, anyone's, dog had killed mine in the past I would have filed that petition then, fully recognizing that if Mickey could kill my dog it was more than possible for him to attack a child or even an adult for that matter.

Also, notice that Kevin was playing with other children in the yard, the assumption on my part is that Kevin and the other children would be regulars of this baby-sitter and would have had previous contact with Mickey. But like I said, that's merely an assumption on my part.

This Daily Mail article has a picture of the residence where the attack happened. It is a side view, but it does look like the area IS fenced and is in the back yard seeing how there are cars parked on the opposite side of the house from the fenced area. I could be wrong about that, but usually folks park in the front of a house and not the back? (NOTE: The Daily Mail article does have a picture of Kevin's face. It is not bloody or gorey, however, it could be disturbing for some to look at... it was for me)

Any way.. just some additional information for everyone's consideration.

ETA: My bad, the pic in the Daily Mail atricle I linked above is the same as the pic that StallionDuck posted in the OP
edit on 17-3-2014 by MyMindIsMyOwn because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-3-2014 by MyMindIsMyOwn because: *sigh* spelling

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

chiefsmom
reply to post by stumason

Oh really?
Why was the child near a chained up dog? Where was the person watching the child? Had the child been told NOT to go near the dog?

Responsible dog owners teach their children some type of dog safety, we don't know if that was done here or not.

Sorry, lots of unanswered questions here, that could have had the same result, with any dog.
And I did agree the dog should be put down.

A four year old should know better?

It's okay to leave a pit bull unattended, as long as it's on a chain - knowing a chain can never break?

Irresponsible babysitter/irresponsible dog owner/ child suffers, dog dies.
Ignorant people shouldn't breed....or be allowed to own dogs.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I've owned a dozen pity bulls in my life.

None were aggressive because they were properly trained. I rescued one who was too psychologically damaged to take out of his old habits. He was 6 when we got him. He's the only dog I've ever put down for anything other than terminal illness.

This dog isn't to blame and if he's under 5 the chances of him being able to change his behaviour are actually significantly high. The kid isn't to blame either of course .

This is the owner's fault. Pure and simple. And people would weather blame and harm the symptoms than address the real problem.

If I teach my child that violence is ok, and he assaults somebody, than I liable for that crime. The same should be true for dog owners who take poor care of their dogs. Especially those who want breeds like pit bulls that require more care and attentiveness to achieve desired results.

-Tenth

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

You may want to learn a few things about breeds of dogs both the Mastiff and Great Danes are gentle breeds so a offspring of those dogs will be gentle a pitbull however was bred for fighting and killing it's opponent it is a well known violent breed. So well known that many cities have made it illegal to own one.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

Star for you, thanks for digging that up, shifts the blame and my opinion.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Walking up to a strange dog in its own territory and helping yourself to its belongings is an easy way to earn the Darwin award in any situation. Some lessons are better learned the hard way because we get too cocky as a species and as a society. A black eye is healthy because it teaches you to respect those animals or qualities in the world that you just assume will accept you as an equal. I know it sounds cold, but we've seen this situation happen between humans and decided that the guy defending his property with a shotgun was the upstanding citizen. This kid was better off learning the lesson with a dog as a child than as an adult with an armed and angry homeowner.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join