It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FACEBOOK rushes to defense of dog that mauled 4-year-old boy...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

I love dogs,

You do it because it bit a human, plain and simple.

Its not just a bite either, it almost killed the kid.

Thats why, its not the dogs fault, and thats sad.

It still needs to be put down, and the parties responsible (the parents) held legally liable for their negligence.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I actually know alot about dog breeds. You completely missed the point. Yes, they are both great dogs, yet, he still nipped at the kid.
That was the point. Because the child did NOT listen, and the mother of the child is an idiot. And dogs can only take so much, no matter the breed.

I have an Old english bulldog, and a boxer. Both wonderful with children. But I'm not going to let children climb all over them, or leave them unattended.

While the dog should not have done what it did, this was the adults fault 100%.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

People are incredibly stupid about dogs. Most popular breeds have roots as workdogs. They
have traits that make them totally unsuitable for living in households. Breed choice often
has more to do with interior decorating than utility.

Terriers were bred specifically as vermin killers given opportunity they will still show their instincts.

Great Pyrenes tend t sleep all day and bark at everything that moves all night. this is useful if you live
in the mountains and want to keep wolves away. In the suburbs it just makes you a bad neighbor.

One of the worst possible dogs is the Australian Cattle Dog. It was bred to nip at the cattles ankles. This
an extremely poor trait if you are just a visitor.

The characteristics of Pit Bulls are well known and problematic. Their high pain threshold makes them
good natured. Their strong jaws make them dangerous even when they aren't angry. What would just
be a gesture for a Poodle can cause serious harm. It is quite possible the dog that bit this child didn't
intend harm. This is why the dog is dangerous. It lacks the necessary restraint.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Retikx

Blanket generalizations dont really help any situation...

If you were put in a position where you were required to "put down" either:

1) A repeat child rapist, who has also stated he has no intentions of stopping his behavior
2) A service dog for a blind man

Which do you feel has the greater right to life?

Obviously, an extreme circumstance... but you did say "And human well being is and will always be placed above a dogs."

I totally agree with you on the Cesar Milan bit though...
edit on 17-3-2014 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

That makes absolutely no sense. And side shooting the issue with stupid hypotheticals does nothing to further the topic at hand.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I'm 100% behind the argument that it's bad training and negect by humans caused this attack.

The humans in this story, with the exception.of the little kid, are entirely to blame.

That said, when a dog attacks a human and isn't protecting it's owners by doing so, it needs to be put down.

It's sad all round. These people shouldn't be allowed to ever have another dog ever.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by UMayBRite!

And a good owner knows that and negates the risk.

My pit bull since she was a puppy had chew toys, each she was taught to hand gently and not destroy.

To this day, all I have to do is tell her gentle, and an object becomes glass to her, she becomes super cautious around that item, that has include people since day one.

There was one time a kitten had gotten into our yard, our Lab had it in its mouth (labs have weak bites and because of their "bird'" dog heritage do not tend to bite prey, as they don't want to damage just retrieve) My pit intervened, and carefully handled the kitten and protected it and brought it inside to me.

I caught it all out the window,

I can't stress proper training of any dog is all it takes, even a bite instinct can be tempered, you just have to set boundaries early and often.

THATS WITH ANY DOG, with a pug letting it run wild while dangerous is not as dangerous as an 80 pound dog , and thats regardless of breed.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

UMayBRite!

The characteristics of Pit Bulls are well known and problematic. Their high pain threshold makes them
good natured. Their strong jaws make them dangerous even when they aren't angry. What would just
be a gesture for a Poodle can cause serious harm. It is quite possible the dog that bit this child didn't
intend harm. This is why the dog is dangerous. It lacks the necessary restraint.

Some do, some dont.

In this case, I would agree that the dog has a good chance of being dangerous in the future.

Bite pressure is learned as a puppy, and then through training (for bird dogs, etc). Pit bulls are about upper mid-tier when it actually comes to "maximum" bite pressure anyway. Standard poodles tend to be more protective as well, and their bite pressure is roughly on par. Not that anyone against those breeds would agree, of course.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Retikx

That makes absolutely no sense. And side shooting the issue with stupid hypotheticals does nothing to further the topic at hand.

Right right.

Next time then, perhaps try to qualify your statements a bit more clearly.
Since such generalizations show certain types of thinkers that you might not have actually thought through what you are saying...

I apologize if the question didnt make sense. I dont think I can make it any easier.

Good luck with.. whatever, and adieu!

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

SprocketUK
These people shouldn't be allowed to ever have another dog ever.

I think this is actually the core issue. MANY people who have dogs should not have them, and MANY trainers are just lucky that canines are as intelligent as they are.

To compound the issue, dog breeding is a popular business. And, the less regulations and care you give the animals, the greater the profit.

So, we have a situation where we have too many canines to home them all, and at the same point, many of the homes they go to are not educated enough about canines to handle their dog (regardless of breed).

Its a tricky situation, really, and I am not sure of an over-arcing solution. But, I think we should put the effort in considering that we, as a society, have made this bed and now we have to deal with it. Not that many actually will...

It might not be a bad idea to start a betting pool on which will be the next breed to be demonized so people can continue to skirt their responsibility.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

DexteramLucifer
It's not the dog's fault. As was clearly stated in the op, the child was in the act of picking up the dogs bone. I dare you to name any breed of dog that's just going to let someone walk up it take it's food. That dog doesn't know that child meant no harm, all it knows is that there was an immediate threat to it's food source and acted accordingly. Just as most everyone here happily claims to have no problem putting a bullet in a wanna be thief, so to did the dog protect his/her property ( by any means necessary ).
edit on 17-3-2014 by DexteramLucifer because: one to many of the same word

I could take food out of the mouth of every dog I have ever owned. While they were chewing it. Even a Doberman Pinscher. The fault lies in how the dogs are trained and what signals they pick up from their owners. If the owner is a loving human being, the dog usually adjusts in that direction. If the owner is a hateful, macho man who loves to dominate others through his macho dog, then the dog will do likewise.

This dog is damaged goods and needs to be put down. The fault lies with the owner.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by StallionDuck

Don't touch a Dog's Bone or Toys...
Not blaming the Child at all, it's a shame he has such PissPoor Parents!!!
It's also a shame the Dog's owner didn't have him on a lead, tightly held, another who is PissPoor when it comes to responsibility!!!

But again I'll say never touch a Dog's Bone or Toys, especially PitBulls & Staffordshire Bull Terriers!!!

If you have a Shotgun and someone enters your Space to pick up your property chances are they're gonna get Shot!!!

Don't generalise us who feel for the Dog as choosing him over the Child!!!
You OP are obviously biased enough to call this wonderful Animal a "Beast"!!!
Which means I can already say quite confidently that you have never had a Staff or a PitBull....
If your sitting there with your Mobile on a table in front of you and I walk up & take it, I'm sure you would react to your property being manhandled by an unknown!!!

Staffs & Pits are the best Dogs you could have, very Human & Child friendly... But even their owners know their property is off limits!!!

"Where were the parents at???"
"Where was the Dog's owner???"

That's where the blame lies...solely!!!
edit on 17-3-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: Auto-Correct!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Where the hell were the parents!?

And why are they letting their kid play with a stranger's dog?

I say put down the parents... -_-

Poor kid though....

People have so little understanding of animals.....

These things wouldn't happen if we were all more educated and understanding of animals.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Pitt Bull again....When will people learn

These dogs are not bread to be hang bag dogs, cute little things to keep around the house for kids to play with. Their bred for violence, to protect their keeper and their selves.

Have you ever owned a PitBull???
Or is this just another massive generalisation out of this Thread???

I had a PitBull for 11 years... Died of Cancer... Never attacked or bit a single Human being in his life, Adult or Child!!!

Another PitBull Know-It-All... When will people learn!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Cabin
reply to post by StallionDuck

I really do not get why the dog should be put down. Of course, I feel sorry for the kid, but putting the dog down does not change anything, the kid still got attacked.

There does not need to be a dilemma, who is more important or whom people value more. The fact that the dog attacked the child was an instinct for protecting its bone. Easiest way to get attacked by near to any animal is by trying to take their food/bone, whatever like that. Animals do not think rationally and unless trained well there are just instincts and often the primal instincts come up in situations like that, even for well-trained dogs. This does not mean an animal is a violent, dangerous monster....

I do not understand, why there always needs to be a blame set for something, somebody needs to get punished for situations like that. In this particular case, of course, we could blame the dog, dog owner, nanny, parents,ven the kid, whomever, but as there is no time machine, we can not change the fact that it happened and the kid got attacked. It is impossible to prove who is the most "responsible" for this situation.

In this case, I do not see a reason, what would the euthanisation of the dog give... Rather just focus on getting the kid necessary treatments, than waste time and money on trying to get back at somebody. Sh*t happens sometimes and often there is no one solely responsible for the situation. I do not know about the full history with the dog, maybe there have been incidents like that - if there have been attacks like that before, maybe it truly should be put down for prevention of future attacks, but maybe it was the first time and otherwise it is very peaceful dog. If the latter, you can not blame the animal for being an animal, just like you cant blame a kid being a kid. Just as parents are responsible for raising a kid, so is a dog owner responsible for raising its dog.

edit on 17-3-2014 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

what about the psychological trauma to this child???? the dog lives next door, the child will see it and or hear it on a regular basis, talk about cruel to subject him to this....the dog KILLED another dog 6 months ago...obviously just a matter of time before another incident happens...dog should be put down.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Why are we so quick to kill!?

How about take the dog away from owners. Send it to a place that will take him and train him to be friendlier.

And investigate the parents..... Send DCF on them. To make sure. They dont seem.to oay much atte tion to their child.

Recondition the dog and the parents.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by iammrhappy86

you don't know if the dog can be rehabilitated....the dog KILLED another dog 6 months ago and severely injured this child...if the judge rules to not put down, then the dog needs to go somewhere else, that child has been through enough

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by iammrhappy86

This is the best way to deal with the situation!!!

So far as we know, there is no other incident involving this Pit & another Human!

Remove the Dog to another location, a couple of posts up rightly said it would be quite traumatic for the child to encounter the Dog again, even if a peaceful one!

But if the Dog is not inclined to attack people, & not for his Bone that's not Offensive it's Defensive, then to put the Dog down is abhorrent!!!

If the Dog was dangerous or attacked the Child on the Offence for no reason, then I'd say euthanise, but that doesn't seem to be the case!!!

Peace MrHappy!

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by research100

I'd agree it'd be traumatic for the child to cross paths with the Pit again...

But why did it kill another Dog???
Unless it was bred to fight, which I doubt or the Child would be dead, then there must have been a reason...
It could easily have been self-defence, again as someone who owned a Pit for more than a decade, experience tells me they only react, rather than initiate!!!

Peace Research!

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I don't like the "never touch a dog's food" line.
One of the first things we taught our germsn shepherd was that if he grumped when someone touched his food or his toys was that it would be taken away.

One day we were all eating lamb around the table and my daughter said she'd seen the dog up the garden with the leg of lamb, so took it from him and brushed the grass off before replacing it.

Certainly ruined everyone's appetite, but it made me damn glad we'd put the effort in so that our dog didn't feel like biting when the kids tried taking treats from him.

Just a simple bit of training would have stopped this pit bull attack. Tragic really.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join