It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keurig’s next generation of coffee machines will have DRM lockdown

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Cynic
I have owned my Keurig for about 2 years. It has operated flawlessly and it makes great coffee. To all the naysayers out there, I can only say that you have no idea as to WTF you are talking about. If you like drip coffee, good for you. If Tassimo is your thing, you are already stuck buying their overpriced Yuppie groomed latte's.
To each his own, I enjoy the coffee that it makes.

Hey--don't rag on the Tassimo! I LOVE my Tassimo lattes! Luckily, I can afford the cost. Still cheaper than Starbucks. I had a Keurig, and hated the coffee from it. I gave it away.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

"fresh ground as you use it" seems to win out, even with a kurig on the counter, and even in the drip maker

I wish I had stocked up on those coffee grinders when they were only $20. Now they cost so much, and people really need more than one

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I got a Keurig for Christmas. I'm not a big coffee drinker so I was like, "Um...yeah....thanks....".

Well, it turns out I can make tea or hot chocolate in it too. I rather enjoy having my "sleepy time" tea before bed on some nights. Overall, I love the little gadget. I haven't had any problems with it. I use only filtered water from the fridge in it, and flush it out with a 50-50 white vinegar water mix every now and then.

I have one of those reusable K-cups that allow you to put your own stuff inside. I don't think I'll have to really worry to much about this DRM thing, as I bought over 60 assorted k-cups off of Amazon for under $1 each. There's some good sampler packs out there!

I tried getting into coffee a while back. I probably have more ways to make a cup than one man should. I have a Moka pot, actual espresso machine (I spent way to much on my Breville), a hand-held pump action 1-shot espresso maker, french press...

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I never use my actual espresso maker because of the fine grind it requires. My $40 one has an "espresso" setting, but even that isn't fine enough. To get the kind of grind needed, I'd have to spend hundreds of dollars.

It does look pretty sitting in my kitchen though:

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
I got a Keurig for Christmas. I'm not a big coffee drinker so I was like, "Um...yeah....thanks....".

Well, it turns out I can make tea or hot chocolate in it too. I rather enjoy having my "sleepy time" tea before bed on some nights. Overall, I love the little gadget. I haven't had any problems with it. I use only filtered water from the fridge in it, and flush it out with a 50-50 white vinegar water mix every now and then.

I have one of those reusable K-cups that allow you to put your own stuff inside. I don't think I'll have to really worry to much about this DRM thing, as I bought over 60 assorted k-cups off of Amazon for under $1 each. There's some good sampler packs out there!

I tried getting into coffee a while back. I probably have more ways to make a cup than one man should. I have a Moka pot, actual espresso machine (I spent way to much on my Breville), a hand-held pump action 1-shot espresso maker, french press...

Not sure how price sensitive you are....but Illy makes a ground espresso that really is good.

I have not found their espresso roast in a whole bean, but I haven't look very hard.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

As I said, to each his own. Keurig is good in my books. Tassimo in yours. Not ragging anyone.
edit on 4-3-2014 by Cynic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

roadgravel
If your Mr. Coffee doesn't work because it gets slower and slower brewing, run a couple of cups of vinegar through it about five or six times to remove the mineral build up. That fixes ours. Been using the same machine for 6 to 8 years.

I do hear people claim presses make the best coffee but I have not tried it. Maybe I should.
edit on 3/4/2014 by roadgravel because: typo

I consider coffee part of "Science & Technology" because it is indispensable fuel for scientists & engineers.

Coffee is so critical, depending on anything complex is an unriskable failure mode.

What really works, and what stays working:

Melitta manual pour-over coffee pot

You need a kettle and there are plenty of those, and you can make tea and whatever else with it too. The coffee comes out better than almost all consumer coffee machines, because you get the entire bolus of water up to a hot temperature and apply it quickly. And it's easier to clean than anything else.

This is a case where the superior product is the least expensive.

edit on 4-3-2014 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mbkennel

I use to frequent a coffee house that made coffee by the cup using really hot water over fresh ground coffee and a filter. We really good.

Wish I had kept track of how many lines of program code I got to a cup of coffee over the years. Code/coffee ratio.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

When I look at the Keurig cups I think of all the plasticizers released out of the plastic by putting hot water thru them.

And the ridiculous price!

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

The Vue is keurig 's latest model let's you make bigger cups of coffee plus iced beverages and teas. Plus you can customize your bev by strength, size and temp

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I thought this was already the case.

Aren't there two sizes (maybe more) of cups that only go with particular machine manufacturer's pods?

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Didn't own a Kcup but the vue will go from 8 to 18 ozs. The cups are bigger in size so they must hold a little more coffee to make the larger cups still taste strong. Makes a damm good travel mug size coffee. Perfect for us.

I have a french press and the Vue makes an overall hotter and better cup IMO.

It bugs me that the cups cost so much, that's why we use a Reusable one that still can accomodate K cups when we get good deals on Amazon or surprisingly, the Keurig website itself.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
We'll help you to use OUR coffee instead.

Turns out, the Keurig 2.0 has an embedded scanner that looks for a specific ink marker on the lids of authorized “K-cups.” If the special ink isn’t there, the Keurig 2.0 will display an “Oops!” message and refuse to continue its coffee-making task.

Now, a coffee pod maker called Rogers Family Company Coffee & Tea Market is giving away a free clip that attaches to a Keurig 2.0 and fools the coffee maker into thinking that it’s making Keurig-sanctified coffee. The company calls it the “Freedom Clip” and claims that “This little clip will override the Keurig 2.0® Lock Out Technology and allow most NON approved K-Cup® type pods to work.”

Of course, TechDirt points out that you can also override Keurig’s DRM with a single piece of tape. But Rogers Family Company seems to offer a more permanent (and stylish?) solution.

Link-a-Dink

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
i'll stick with my old trusty mr coffee replace glass pitcher with metal one years ago and its worked like a champ for 20 years now

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Just like they did for Printers!
they will end up not selling a lot!

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

It's like everything, they want to monopolize the market and then scream victim if they can't. I offered my wife a Keurig or a Tassimo for Christmas (I don't drink coffee), she picked neither as she isn't lazy and had the sense to ask what it costs per cup. In Canadakastan (the great white north which just got another foot of snow in southern ontario) it works out to about 50 to 75 cents a cup depending on brand. Tim Whorenuts (Horton's) coffee is about a buck fifty (and it's a five mile walk in snow shoes LOL), so that is obviously more costly (plus the medical bills for frostbite and the beatin' for coming back with ice coffee). However, making a pot in one of them old-fashioned drip machines is about 10-15 cents a cup, it's nice and hot, and it tastes just as good when done right. So let's hope Keurig adds the tech and we can watch them crash and burn ;-)

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: proteus33
i'll stick with my old trusty mr coffee replace glass pitcher with metal one years ago and its worked like a champ for 20 years now

Not everyone can taste the difference....but there is a difference between the different ways of brewing. By far, regular drip is considered to render the least/worst flavor. From there, it is all arguing based on personal preference.

My wife prefers a regular old Mr Coffee, with fresh ground 8 oclock coffee (the cheapest whole bean you can find). She gets mad if i try to upgrade her, because she prefers that specific coffee. So I get it that you can find your own happy medium.

I am a Keurig fan, but am also very happy to just put French Roast coffee into a French Press. I have a really nice grinder.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
I am surprised they aren't putting in some kind of "smart chip" that will allow it to hook up to the internet so users can track their coffee intake and the folks running Obamacare can figure out how to adjust your premiums accordingly.

Just saying...

It's probably in there already, they'll just write a tag app
for it and hold your DiMaggio for ransom if you put in a
napkin and a charge of house grounds.
"Buy this GreenDot within the next 48 hours or we'll
toast your element and raise your deductible 50%."

They can mess with everything except my morning eye
opener. If denied I immediately go over to the shop and
start making unique and unrecognizable metal things.
Some of those things don't need electricity-- and have
been alluded to in another thread. I think the title DID
contain "Favorite" but I don't play them when my caffeine's cut off.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
By far, FAR, the thing my partner and I fight about most is coffee. He has a Tassimo addiction, or goes to the drive thru coffee place; I use the French press or the kettle for tea (By the way, does anyone remember those coffee bags? Random thought.). Now, the fight always starts because he is a capital D Dictator about recycling, and his favourite line is, "There's only one planet, B!" So these little coffee pods, which cost 3 or more times the price of good quality whole bean coffee sit around in boxes, and now my laundry room reeks of old coffee. His latest idea is to BUY a box on the Internet for some exorbitant price to put the pods in, and send it away at our expense to be recycled. On his end, he hates the sound of the coffee grinder, and finds freshly brewed coffee too hot.

Just one of those first world problems.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
3woz

originally posted by: Libertygal
Just me and my Mr. Coffee here. Plain paper filters, few scoops of Folgers, 6 cups of water in the pot, and I have my Bubba insulated cup that is my coffee cup! I can't do 4-5 oz. cups of coffee. No, no. My cup is 35 oz.'s, and has a lid!

Now, THAT'S a cup of coffee!

32oz Bubba keg here as well. Best coffee cup on the planet, wife and I use a Cuisinart maker with a metal mesh filter and no paper filters, far better coffee than coffee run through paper. I don't think a french press could make it better. The mesh 'filter in the maker is just like te mesh filter in a french press. You get all the natural oils and acids just like in a french press. Plus I can program it so its already made when I get up!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join