It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keurig’s next generation of coffee machines will have DRM lockdown

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

pavil
We got a Vue as a gift and didn't think we would use it..... It's makes awesome coffee. We use the store bought cups but much the more cost effective and better tasting way is go buy great beans, grind them and brew in a reusable filter. It makes a consistently great cup of coffee with minimal effort. You can even make capuchin with a Vue.
Cant blame them for wanting to profit from the consumables, that's where all the money is.

I don't think they thought this one through.

Every Ma and Pop coffee operation is about getting their coffee in to your cup. Someone will come up with a retro fit cup in short order and in the mean time people will be spending their hard earned, which for many is in short supply, money, on a coffee and system they can enjoy and is versatile and leave the faddie, proprietary units to the ego struck, Jones stalking folks. I have two Ecco cups that work like charm. I have one always ready to go and my choice of the moment in the pot.

I go with what suits my taste and my purse.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Just me and my Mr. Coffee here.

Mr Coffee here also. I just clean out the scale build up every few months. It make coffee quite fast.

From some posts it sounds like Green Mountain coffee isn't up to par. Having the best coffee would be the way to keep the market at a higher price.

Unless they put something like an RFID chip in the coffee refill some guy will probably come up with a piece of plastic hack that fools the machine and is available on the dark net for 9.95. Actually 2 for 9.95 (home and office), just pay separate processing and shipping.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Lots of bizarre appliances do this.

We have a copier in the office that has "DRM" forcing us to only use approved brand name toner.

So we have to peel the little chip off the toner to fool the copier.

I imagine any k-cup DRM would be similar. Either removal of or spoofing of the "chip" would negate it.

k-cup coffee is nasty anyway.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

pavil
We got a Vue as a gift and didn't think we would use it..... It's makes awesome coffee. We use the store bought cups but much the more cost effective and better tasting way is go buy great beans, grind them and brew in a reusable filter. It makes a consistently great cup of coffee with minimal effort. You can even make capuchin with a Vue.
Cant blame them for wanting to profit from the consumables, that's where all the money is.

I also use a reusable filter, but in the keurig.
I have an old Corning ware percolator but it does 6 - 8 cups. The keurig, with the "my k-cup" reusable filter is great for inexpensive coffee, or fresh ground, one cup at a time.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I could foresee someone buying up pre DRM machines, if they are locked down well, and selling them later for a premium.

Or an market for fake chips or whatever that fool the machine. People will break their system somehow.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

I absolutely hate Keurig with a passion, we went out, and bought a 99.99 and 6 months later the damn thing just broke! The coffee sucks, and is not even strong!! Blah!, Then we went with Mr.Coffee, that broke after 6 months, and after buying all of these crappy coffee makers and them breaking after 6 months, (no lie!), we decided to go with French Press, sure you have to wait on the water but we've had a french press for 4 years now,and I don't think it will be breaking anytime soon!

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
If your Mr. Coffee doesn't work because it gets slower and slower brewing, run a couple of cups of vinegar through it about five or six times to remove the mineral build up. That fixes ours. Been using the same machine for 6 to 8 years.

I do hear people claim presses make the best coffee but I have not tried it. Maybe I should.
edit on 3/4/2014 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

liliththedestroyer
reply to post by roadgravel

I absolutely hate Keurig with a passion, we went out, and bought a 99.99 and 6 months later the damn thing just broke! The coffee sucks, and is not even strong!! Blah!, Then we went with Mr.Coffee, that broke after 6 months, and after buying all of these crappy coffee makers and them breaking after 6 months, (no lie!), we decided to go with French Press, sure you have to wait on the water but we've had a french press for 4 years now,and I don't think it will be breaking anytime soon!

The thing about Keurigs is that the pump will sometimes mess up. 99% of the time, you unplug it to reset it, and voila! it works.

I do this to mine about 1 time a week (the one at the office). I have used it for 15 straight, grueling months. The first 5 months it would brew 20-25 cups/day for me and an associate. The last several months I have been drinking about 6 cups/day, 6 days a week out of it. Always too hot to drink so i have to let it cool a bit.

I was skeptical when i bought it, being a french press user (i have a french press coffee cup that I adore). I bought it used from a coworker of my wife, and it was the best investment I have made in my happiness for years.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

roadgravel
If your Mr. Coffee doesn't work because it gets slower and slower brewing, run a couple of cups of vinegar through it about five or six times to remove the mineral build up. That fixes ours. Been using the same machine for 6 to 8 years.

I do hear people claim presses make the best coffee but I have not tried it. Maybe I should.
edit on 3/4/2014 by roadgravel because: typo

When you grind your beans, don't grind them into an espresso powder. French press needs a slightly courser grind. You want to get real fancy, buy a hand grinder made of ceramic. Itll give you the best results...but not everyone can taste the difference between a ceramic and a metal grind.

In any event, you can get a press for under $20, and you will absolutely love it i fyou like good quality coffee. When using a press, i really enjoy a good whole bean french roast.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

snowspirit

pavil

I have an old Corning ware percolator but it does 6 - 8 cups. The keurig, with the "my k-cup" reusable filter is great for inexpensive coffee, or fresh ground, one cup at a time.

but but ...i can make one MUG of fresh ground in my coffee machine

and what BFFT said above
edit on 4-3-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

snowspirit

pavil

Out of curiosity, do you have a link to the type of reusable filter you are using? I have several varieties and can't find one that makes the same bold flavored brew as a pod. Would LOVE to find one, though, and use my own beans.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Danbones

snowspirit

pavil

We also have this:

My wife likes her drip brewed coffee for whatever horrid reason. The single cup brewer makes a fine cup of coffee, though. I just pile a whole bunch of ground french roast into the basket.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Thanks for those tips. I may give it a go.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

rickymouse
The price of a cup of coffee with that machine is more than what it costs to make a pot of coffee in a regular drip coffee maker. It is too strong too.

LOL....thats what the wife says. She actually prefers a brand called 9 oclock (whole bean, columbian). not so bueno.

The benefit of a dark roast coffee is that the additional roast denatures the caffeine, rendering it "less powerful" than a lighter roasted coffee. Breakfast blend, or a medium roasted arabica (like your standard variety, ground coffee) will tend to have more caffeine than a cup of a darker roast like the starbucks french, sumatra, or verona.

I dunno..i drink a LOT of coffee from my keurig.

I thought that was called 8 o'clock coffee. Maybe someone created a later version for those who don't like getting up early.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I have owned my Keurig for about 2 years. It has operated flawlessly and it makes great coffee. To all the naysayers out there, I can only say that you have no idea as to WTF you are talking about. If you like drip coffee, good for you. If Tassimo is your thing, you are already stuck buying their overpriced Yuppie groomed latte's.
To each his own, I enjoy the coffee that it makes.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

rickymouse

bigfatfurrytexan

rickymouse
The price of a cup of coffee with that machine is more than what it costs to make a pot of coffee in a regular drip coffee maker. It is too strong too.

LOL....thats what the wife says. She actually prefers a brand called 9 oclock (whole bean, columbian). not so bueno.

The benefit of a dark roast coffee is that the additional roast denatures the caffeine, rendering it "less powerful" than a lighter roasted coffee. Breakfast blend, or a medium roasted arabica (like your standard variety, ground coffee) will tend to have more caffeine than a cup of a darker roast like the starbucks french, sumatra, or verona.

I dunno..i drink a LOT of coffee from my keurig.

I thought that was called 8 o'clock coffee. Maybe someone created a later version for those who don't like getting up early.

No, its only 9 oclock for men with fat fingers trying to type on a confounded mobile device.

But you get a star for making me laugh.

edit on 3/4/2014 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Glad I don't drink coffee. Yes I know, I'm weird. That's what everyone tells me.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Danbones
the trendiness of the kurigs will pass i think...

Perhaps for that exact brand, but not for these POD coffee machines. A "friend" of mine tried to get me in on investing money on a pyramid scheme a while back regarding these things and "subscriptions" to the coffee. I first thought, "nice machine" but that no one in their right mind would want to be locked down to a specific brand of coffee. Especially on a subscription.

I think these machines are here to stay as they do give decent tasting coffee. May not be as good as "real" coffee but nothing beats pressing a button in the morning rush to get your caffeine fix.

I think Keurig will fail though, just like Sony did when they kept on trying to force people to use their type of storage media in their audio players.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Danbones

snowspirit

pavil

and what BFFT said above
edit on 4-3-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

If my keurig ever breaks, I'll probly get a French press or something.
I was lucky with my keurig, it was on sale for $60. Cheap.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

The reusable filter I have is a keurig brand, called "my k-cup"

It says on the box that it's the only one designed to work with the machines. There's a filter holder with the filter that fits the machine that makes it all work together. $16 and was sold where I bought the keurig. I bought mine at Extra Foods but I think that's just a Cdn only store.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join