It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flowing in the Spirit of the LORD/YHWH, is the beginning of Wisdom...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767
reply to post by Joecroft

...as it was alway's a difficult proposition to fear the one you are trying to see as a father and love as a father as fear and love are opposed.

Why Study the Bible?

There are two seemingly contradictory aspects of drawing close to God. Those who do so both fear him and love him. Let us consider two scriptures supporting that statement. Long ago, wise King Solomon made a careful study of humankind and recorded his findings in the Bible book of Ecclesiastes. Summing up his observations, he wrote: “The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments. For this is the whole obligation of man.” (Ecclesiastes 12:13) Centuries later, when asked what was the greatest commandment in the Law given to Moses, Jesus responded: “You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.” (Matthew 22:37) Does it seem odd to you that we should both fear God and love him? Let us examine the importance of fear and love and how they work together to produce a satisfying relationship with God.

What the Fear of God Means

A respectful fear is fundamental if we are to worship God acceptably. The Bible says: “The fear of Jehovah is the beginning of wisdom.” (Psalm 111:10) The apostle Paul wrote: “Let us continue to have undeserved kindness, through which we may acceptably render God sacred service with godly fear and awe.” (Hebrews 12:28) Similarly, an angel in midheaven seen in vision by the apostle John began his proclamation of good news with the words: “Fear God and give him glory.”—Revelation 14:6, 7.

This fear of God, so essential to a meaningful life, is not the same as morbid dread. We might feel dread if we are threatened by a cruel and dangerous criminal. But fear of God—or godly fear—is awe and profound reverence for the Creator. It also involves healthful fear of displeasing God because he is the Supreme Judge and the Almighty, who has both the power and the authority to punish those who disobey.

Fear and Love Work Together

Nevertheless, Jehovah does not want people to serve him simply because they are in awe of him. Jehovah is outstandingly a God of love. The apostle John was moved to write: “God is love.” (1 John 4:8) Jehovah God has dealt very lovingly with mankind, and he wants people to respond by loving him in return. How, though, is such love compatible with godly fear? The two are actually linked. The psalmist wrote: “The intimacy with Jehovah belongs to those fearful of him.”—Psalm 25:14.

Just think of the feeling of respect and awe that a child has for a strong and wise father. At the same time, such a child will respond to the father’s love. The child will trust the father and look to him for guidance, confident that this guidance will bring benefits. Similarly, if we love and fear Jehovah, we will obey his direction, and this will benefit us. Notice what Jehovah said concerning the Israelites: “If only they would develop this heart of theirs to fear me and to keep all my commandments always, in order that it might go well with them and their sons to time indefinite!”—Deuteronomy 5:29.

Yes, godly fear leads not to bondage but to freedom, not to sadness but to joy. Isaiah prophesied about Jesus: “There will be enjoyment by him in the fear of Jehovah.” (Isaiah 11:3) And the psalmist wrote: “Happy is the man in fear of Jehovah, in whose commandments he has taken very much delight.”—Psalm 112:1.

Obviously, we can neither fear God nor love him if we do not know him. That is why a study of the Bible is so important. Such a study helps us to understand God’s personality and to come to appreciate the wisdom of following his direction. As we draw closer to God, we want to do his will and we are motivated to keep his commandments, knowing that they will benefit us.—1 John 5:3.

For this is what the love of God means, that we observe his commandments; and yet his commandments are not burdensome,—1 John 5:3
edit on 26-9-2016 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

Originally posted by whereislogic
Too bad the bible also says:
PSALM 112:1

It’s not too bad at all…

Where does Jesus say, keep the commandments…by fearing God or by fearing me…?

It’s only those who haven’t yet received the Spirit of God, that keep the commandments out of fear…although to some extent it’s also out of love combined…but perfect love drives out all fear…

Jesus says “if you love me, you will keep my commandments” etc…

John 14:24
24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

And in this verse above Jesus wants people to keep the Commandments through love, not through fear…

Those who receive the Spirit of God, (which is what those verses in my OP really state) keep the commandments through understanding and loving God…

Originally posted by whereislogic
Psalms 110:1 says something similar after using the same phrase about fear and wisdom: "All those observing his orders show good insight."

Psalms 110:1 uses the exact same structure found in many other “fear of the LORD” phrases outlined in my OP…Seriously check it out…

The word “fear” in similar verses is not referring to OUR fear…it’s referring to an attribute of the Lord, and that attribute is more accurately translated as “Gods Spirit.”

The rest of the explanation can be found in my OP…

Here’s Psalm 111:10 below…

Psalm 111:10
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

You seem to think that a persons good insight or understanding, is coming about by them fearing God, but that’s not the case…The insight comes about by receiving the Spirit of God, which then teaches that person Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding…

Only in this way does a person walk in the way of the truth and thereby keep the commandments.

God is not meant to followed through fear…or even fear and love combined. These are false dichotomy's set up by men…

In fact, it’s the exact opposite of fear because The Spirit of God teaches a person from the heart and ultimately from a place of love.

Jesus also talked about those who pay him lip service, while all the time their hearts were far from him. Following God through fear is what happens when your heart is far away from God…but God weighs the heart…

Proverb 21:2-3
2 All a man’s ways seem right to him,
but the LORD weighs the heart.
3 To do what is right and just
is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.

The verse below (John 14 :21) is an exact parallel to that of (Psalm 111:10) in that both verses are talking about the Spirit of God coming to dwell within a person, which in turns teaches them how to follow and keep Gods Commandments…

John 14 :21
21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

- JC

edit on 15-10-2016 by Joecroft because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Joecroft

It's unfortunate that so many Bibles employ the fear tactic of translating what should be reverence as fear.

Associating fear with Wisdom is a human folly as no one who is afraid of God becomes wise, more often they become self righteous hypocrites.

While friends who revere God on the other hand (Kabbalists) are full of Wisdom, knowing fear is not the correct word.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join