It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by NostradamusWasHere
reply to post by toast317

You had better buy a gun too....

Haha, I don't think this is fallout 3 where there is going to be a "wasteland" and people with guns attacking anyone they see and looting everything off them because it's their only chance at survival.

Omg... im wrong...if this does happen it WILL be like that

The wastelands of western north America...wow...

Reality just hit me square in the face.

[edit on 29-12-2008 by toast317]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Unless you live on the coasts I would save the money because you will be gone pretty quickly. Although If it does go off I'm sure people like myself and others who live on the outsides of the blast zones will probably be scavenging for supply's some day after the area cools down.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Wow, I didn't know there was a spike in interest by park officials (maybe) at old faithful. All of the quake events must be reviewed and approved by the seismologists to rule out "weather" etc. so I suspect that the events are happening faster than they can be reviewed.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
It seems the news is catching up with ATS now. The word is spreading and the seismic activity continues.

Scientists eye unusual swarm of Yellowstone quakes
They're certainly not normal," Smith said. "We haven't had earthquakes in this energy or extent in many years."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.google.com...

“It’s an energetic earthquake swarm,” said Mike Stickney, director of the earthquake studies office for the Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology. “I’m hearing reports that people in the park have been feeling some of them.”

www.helenair.com...

The quakes of magnitude 3.5 and lower hit beneath Yellowstone Lake five to nine miles south-southeast of Fishing Bridge, according to the University of Utah Seismograph Stations
BOZEMAN, Mont. (AP) - A backcountry avalanche warning has been issued for the southern Gallatin and southern Madison Ranges, the Lionhead area near West Yellowstone, the mountains around Cooke City and the Washburn Range in northern Yellowstone National Park

www.montanasnewsstation.com...

[edit on 30-12-2008 by meaguire]

link   

Look - you don't understand, the skies will be darkend for YEARS. There will be permanent winter over most of North America for at least a few years if not 10. There will be no food, not to mention clean water, at least in North America...

link   
RSOE EDIS has this listed as a volcanic event and also states in the event description that there have been over 250 quakes in this spot in the past 2 or 3 days. This may be old news, just thought that I would mention it.

[edit on 29-12-2008 by Greenize]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
uh - so has everything just stopped since 5pm MT?

or do you think it's just not being updated?

I've written up all your questions. Sent him an email. It's a bit late tonight to call him, so in the hopes it's not our last night on earth
I'll call him in the morning with my neighbor.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by NostradamusWasHere

Look - you don't understand, the skies will be darkend for YEARS. There will be permanent winter over most of North America for at least a few years if not 10. There will be no food, not to mention clean water, at least in North America...

Wow...

This is starting to look more and more like fallout. For those who survive the bombings (in this case super volcano) the water will be contaminated, all livestock and food will be killed and ruined...wow.

So with all this going on, what's the chance of this going off in our lifetimes? This could just be a warning sign, but may not go off for another 200 years or so.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by trusername

Even if it were to blow tonight, this would not be the last day on earth

Remember, we are talking about a SuperVolcano!

It could erupt for weeks or even years. it's the strength and the length of the eruption that will decide if it is an ELE or not.

No matter what, if it went, there would be areas devastated. Just how much area is dependent on how strong and how long it erupts if and when it does.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   

The chance that it goes off in a person's life time would vary depending on the person I would imagine

As far as known history repeating itself we are within the ending years ( by like 10-20 I think ) of the scale that it shout erupt in and repeat the cycle.

Like most areas of science, we pretend/presume to know more then we actually do about many subjects.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
An emergency plan to drill into Yellowstone caldera could release trapped geothermal energy and provide a temendous source of natural energy for the entire world.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Here is a good article for you to put all this in perspective. The odds are still less than 10% in my opinion, but that's still way TOO HIGH.

"Super Volcano Will Challenge Civilization, Geologists Warn"
www.livescience.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust
An emergency plan to drill into Yellowstone caldera could release trapped geothermal energy and provide a temendous source of natural energy for the entire world.

Is this team going to be lead by bruce willis while aerosmith plays a horrible song in the background? IF SO, can I come ?

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Check the graph all, lets just keep in mind swarms are extremely rare in this part of Yellowstone.

I keep expecting it to die down and people to offer a theory but its not. Thats a harmonic tremor someone tell me its not please.

And when you do show me some proof.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
coasttocoastam.com has it listed as one of the hot stories for today on their webpage. They usually talk about these stories at the beginning of the show - about 50 minutes from now.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Memysabu
Check the graph all, lets just keep in mind swarms are extremely rare in this part of Yellowstone.

I keep expecting it to die down and people to offer a theory but its not. Thats a harmonic tremor someone tell me its not please.

And when you do show me some proof.

It looks harmonic to me. Again, I am a Chemist, not a geologist, but it has the same qualities of other graphs I have seen that were called harmonic. Also the fact that a few of the surrounding sensors are picking up the harmonic nature is troubling. Harmonic tremors would not travel far I would think and these are not moving too far away from the epicenter of the quakes. At least not in strength, some farther out pick them up, but barely, Old Faithful and Upper Falls for example. EXTREMELY interesting!

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
quake.usgs.gov...

This is a great link to learn about how to read the charts you guys keep posting.

It also talks about how winds in yellowstone show up at night and when they go away. I'm not sold that these are harmonic tremors yet after reading and looking at the examples.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
coasttocoastam.com has it listed as one of the hot stories for today on their webpage. They usually talk about these stories at the beginning of the show - about 50 minutes from now.

Getting some press now. If things don't settle down the YVO scientists will be forced to make another statement on their web site. As it is, they release a new status report at the begining of every month anyway - should be interesting.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
This may not be so unusual. Note the '85 swarm where over 200 microquakes occurred within two days.

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
quake.usgs.gov...

This is a great link to learn about how to read the charts you guys keep posting.

It also talks about how winds in yellowstone show up at night and when they go away. I'm not sold that these are harmonic tremors yet after reading and looking at the examples.

I see the example for high winds and could get behind this idea, but these are MUCH bigger than the movements caused by the winds in the example. Can we go back and look at the graphs from the last time a front rolled through there? That is what we need, reference graphs for these sensors specifically. Also, the page showing the examples has none for harmonic tremors, so we need some of those posted as well.

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join