It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
**Attention**

Please stop posting 800px graphs

Use of 'im' tags is restricted to news sites, like news.yahoo.com, and not permitted for other sites.

All posts with quotes from 'external sites' requires 'ex' tags and a citation and link.
Mod Note: How to Quote– Please Review This Link.
Mod Edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: Image Size – Please Review This Link.

Thanks for your attention to this.

-Badge01
Forum Moderator

[edit on 12/30/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I dont even understand what youre talking about. Also mine say external image.

[edit on 29-12-2008 by Memysabu]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust
An emergency plan to drill into Yellowstone caldera could release trapped geothermal energy and provide a temendous source of natural energy for the entire world.

Unfortunately, anything that releases the pressure in the magma chamber is BAD. This causes (can cause) the gasses trapped in solution inside the magma to bubble out (a state change). This is what makes the Super Volcanoes so powerful - like the Altoids in the coke bottle... except on a massive scale. This effect is demonstrated dramatically in one of the Mega Disaster shows dealing with Yellowstone. So, drilling into it could actually set it off.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by WSPfan

Originally posted by whoshotJR
quake.usgs.gov...

This is a great link to learn about how to read the charts you guys keep posting.

It also talks about how winds in yellowstone show up at night and when they go away. I'm not sold that these are harmonic tremors yet after reading and looking at the examples.

I see the example for high winds and could get behind this idea, but these are MUCH bigger than the movements caused by the winds in the example. Can we go back and look at the graphs from the last time a front rolled through there? That is what we need, reference graphs for these sensors specifically. Also, the page showing the examples has none for harmonic tremors, so we need some of those posted as well.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

====
Mod Edit: fixed quote tags

[edit on 12/29/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Apologies to Badge and ATS owners. Not being familiar with the Fragile Earth board, I should have reviewed the posting rules.

Thanks to Badge for letting me know what I did wrong and helping me to get it all corrected (Badge did a lot more work than I did
)

Let's not detour this thread now, we have had a ton of excellent info and exchange here

......We now return you to our regular programming

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Some good - some older links

serc.carleton.edu...
www.volcanolive.com...
www.foxnews.com...
www.earthmountainview.com...

[edit on 29-12-2008 by spinkyboo]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Your links don't work.

Please re-post

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
If it was just some normal sized volcano, no big deal, but if this mother goes, be ready for the Dark Ages all over again.

I just had a good laugh, somebody posted on a chat regarding the Yellowstone supervolcano swarms.

"Well I guess we better start sacrificing some virgins then."

Thats funny.

Anybody know where I can get some? Cuz I think we're gonna need a quite a few.

[edit on 29-12-2008 by Springheel Jack]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Several Mountain ranges around Yellowstone have been issued avalance warnings. There are some big, very quick, temperture changes taking place up on the snowpack.

12/30/08

The Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Center said Monday that new snow and strong winds have loaded an extremely weak snowpack; and a high avalanche danger exists on all slopes.

www.kulr8.com...

Jackson Hole - 12/30/08

A weather station at 9,300 feet on Rendezvous Mountain recorded a 7-degree rise in temperature between 8 a.m., when it was 20 degrees, and 10:45 a.m., when it was 27 degrees. Rapidly rising temperatures caused the avalanche center to issue its midday warning for urban areas, where the potential for roof avalanches soared.

“This rapid increase in temperatures is causing large volumes of snow to release from roofs in urban areas,” the warning said. “It has also increased the avalanche danger in the backcountry, which was already high.”

www.jhguide.com...

[edit on 30-12-2008 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springheel Jack
If it was just some normal sized volcano, no big deal, but if this mother goes, be ready for the Dark Ages all over again.

I just had a good laugh, somebody posted on a chat regarding the Yellowstone supervolcano swarms.

"Well I guess we better start sacrificing some virgins then."

Thats funny.

Anybody know where I can get some? Cuz I think we're gonna need a quite a few.

[edit on 29-12-2008 by Springheel Jack]

I read somthing along those same lines and somebody then posted that they should advertise that those people who pretend to act out "magic" or midevil style battles to come to the area. That should bring enough virgins to last us a long time.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
The more graphs I look at, the more I can see thie last few hours as a wind event. However there is certainly a much more exagerated movement on the sensors nearer to the epicenter of the recent swarm. That would be quite the coincidence, but not beyond the realm of possibility. None of that changes that this current swarm is unusual and real. Something is happening. None of the hrmonic tremor examples I have scrounged up last as long as the "pollocks" of today, at least not that I have found.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by WSPfan

Yeah I'm with you. The more I research the more I say hmmm I guess this is a little odd.

Only time will tell, hopefully the vulcanologist ferry pays a visit and lets us know whats going on. Although IMO there is no way in hell they would tell us its gonna blow if they knew. Could you imagine what chaos would happen? Raping/murder/looting, we are a messed up society.

[edit on 30-12-2008 by whoshotJR]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by meaguire
“It’s an energetic earthquake swarm,” said Mike Stickney, director of the earthquake studies office for the Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology. “I’m hearing reports that people in the park have been feeling some of them.”

Ahh, see. I swear that shaking on the live old faithful webcam looked suspiciously like small quakes to me, not wind. And the reason why I later discovered is because I watched carefully as the steam from the geysers was taken by the wind. At one point the wind went almost still for a bit, and the steam went straight up. And then, bam. Camera shakes. And sure eniough, that event showed up on the webicorder about the same time.

Sometimes the camera appeared to go up and down too weirdly, but if you think about it, that would make sense sometimes depending on which direction the ground moves relative to where the camera is pointed.

I'm pretty sure that is a permanent mounted, remote controlled camera. The way it turns and zooms is consistent with that, and I have some decent pro a/v experience as a camera man.

Also, you guys notice how the bigger events seem to happen more when the background "chatter" is not so thick?

So the question at this point is to what degree does this need to display abnormality before the aware citizen living in that area and watching all this decides to err on the side of caution and leave the area for a while?

I am very glad for me that I do not face that question, but very concerned for others in that area. By the time the scientists figure out that there is an eruption imminent, it will be too late with something this big. You'll be lucky to get out of town if they announce a real warning, for there will be massive panic and exodus of millions, not just thousands of people.

And you still have the problem of getting far enough away from the thing to not be killed in the initial explosion, let alone the wider 600 mile estimated perimeter of deadly ash.

Am I advocating to make a move now? Well I might point out that with the new information of all the other quakes that was just posted, it appears that a few of them have been at that crucial depth of 3-5 km where the bulging magma dome is. And that is probably the scariest for me. One quake weakens that enough and it could be all she wrote.

It is important to note that the big 7.5 that occurred in 1959 did NOT occur under the lake and instead was epicentered in southwestern Montana slightly north and mostly west of Lake Yellowstone.

en.wikipedia.org...

So if you are thinking that you'll wait and see if there is any major quake activity based upon this "comparison" before deciding to take action and leave, a large quake like that right under the lake, and especially at a 2 to 10 km depth could have devastatingly different results.

Tough call for sure. I feel for all of you in this unfortunate position to have to decide. But at a minimum:

1) Triage down a bug out plan of action, and BE READY. If you don't at least do this, you will waste valuable time that could cost you your life...

2) Plan where you will go with a route and maps, outside of the estimated 600 mile radius. Yup, you have a long trip. Sorry. Better that than dead.

3) Pack at least three days worth of survival food for the trip. You don't want to have to stop for anything other than gas and bathrooms, and if was me I'd say screw the bathrooms.

4) If there is a warning issued, the sheer shock and chaos it will cause will be no time to plan. Plan NOW, don't wait. Remember that scientists while they may be honest, are going to be EXTREMELY conservative, and will likely wait too long (again) because they have a reputation to uphold, are snotty, and take their sweet time before they all agree on ANYTHING, much less put it out there as news.

Again, here we sit doing the fricken media's job.

[edit on 30-12-2008 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by WSPfan

Just to enlighten me, if the quakes are showing up at depths of 2km how could it be a wind event?

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I forgot to tell you on your previous mentioning of seeing people on the web cam at old faithful... there's only one Yellowstone road open in the winter and its the one from Montana. Even then chains & snow tires are advised. The road that gets the majority of traffic (from Cody, WY) is closed during the Winter. I first noticed that when I tried going up there this fall when I was at college. My guess is that those were some sort of park officials or scientists you saw.
Here's a link to the Parks closing season:
www.nps.gov...

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Here are some sites that are useful for being prepared if Yellowstone decides to go boomboom.

FEMA volcano preparedness

Redcross volcano preparedness

And this is a link to the seismic activity leading up to Mt St Helens eruption in a timeline format, 2 months before it blew.

Mt St Helens seismic activity before it blew.

Really interesting all the info that can be found out there. Volcanic eruptions are tempermental. They sometimes happen without the least bit of warning or they can have periods of intense seismic activity then nothing for days, months, years.

Luckily we live in an age where the tech is getting better and better in being able to tell scientists when a volcano might erupt.

Hopefully it wont be an "Aw jeez we saw the signs, but didnt think it was gonna happen" event. Scientists can be hardheaded as much as anybody.

I hope anybody in the vicinity of the possible blast zone is taking precautions just in case.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by asmall89

Well, yes and no. The resort at Mammoth Hot Springs stays open most of the winter. That's where my wife and I went on our honeymoon. There are daily cross country ski trips available to Old Faithful. You get there by snow machine if there is too much snow to keep the road open.

Link

Oh, and here's the link to the old Faithful Snow lodge. It's open right now. Maybe we need to do a little looking around first?

Old Faithful

[edit on 12/30/2008 by Montana]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springheel Jack
I hope anybody in the vicinity of the possible blast zone is taking precautions just in case.

Large scale flooding along all the mountain runoff rivers in the west will occur if it blows right now. The mountains have had huge snowfall.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Montana

Yeah sorry jumped the gun, but there are significantly less tourists in the winter than spring, summer & fall. Plus, people that travel up there in the winter tend to be your more outdoorsy type. So yes they definitely could have been tourists, hard to tell.

new topics

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join