It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

world weather / wind map

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
earth.nullschool.net.../wind/surface/level/orthographic=-38.29,58.78,408

I found this very interesting, and it really illustrates what is going on re the current UK storms

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by getso

links not working for me. The wind is going crazy outside too

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
What the heck is going on in the North Atlantic? Looks like TPTB are messing with the Icelanders because of what they did to the banisters :O

edit on 12-2-2014 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Wind is strong, I dont moan about the weather anymore London gets the least of it. I feel sorry for the rest of the UK.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

Loool

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
The engine that drives our weather has developed a distinct ping and knock over time. Unfortunately, Earth has no mechanics with the knowledge or skill right now to do much more than make it worse, IMO.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
The engine that drives our weather has developed a distinct ping and knock over time. Unfortunately, Earth has no mechanics with the knowledge or skill right now to do much more than make it worse, IMO.

I hope the old girl dont start dieseling

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I'm sorry if the link is not working for anyone. It should open as a real time animation of storm and wind patterns around the world. Funnily, the link doesn't work for me on this site either

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

From what i could tell, the perturbations of the jet stream in the North American region is causing a significant spike that is basically sling shotting these storms across the Atlantic and into the UK. It's actually running in a distinct stream from the SE corner of the US and right up to the UK. Not sure if it's still doing it but that's what it looked like a few days ago.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Here you go...
earth.nullschool.net...

That works....love the way you can twiddle the earth around!

Rainbows
Jane
edit on 12-2-2014 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Thanks very much for sorting the link

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

WhiteAlice
reply to post by Bilk22

From what i could tell, the perturbations of the jet stream in the North American region is causing a significant spike that is basically sling shotting these storms across the Atlantic and into the UK. It's actually running in a distinct stream from the SE corner of the US and right up to the UK. Not sure if it's still doing it but that's what it looked like a few days ago.
Looks like a major vortex just below Iceland is pulling the cold air down off the Arctic and causing a lot of weather. Is that natural?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Bilk22

WhiteAlice
reply to post by Bilk22

Looks like a major vortex just below Iceland is pulling the cold air down off the Arctic and causing a lot of weather. Is that natural?

Its normal, this year. The wind is going around the lower pressure center. Those low pressures have caused flooding in Great Britain. I have never seen so many deep lower pressures developing in the Atlantic.

If you want to see Jet Streams, choose Height 250 hPa. Those winds are very fast and show how jet streams work.
edit on 12-2-2014 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Bilk22

WhiteAlice
reply to post by Bilk22

In a nutshell: No.. All of our peculiar weather patterns seem to be related to the behavior of the polar vortex. It has weakened and expanded so it's not sitting like a nice and tidy cap on the head of the earth like it usually is. I do know that some of the important oceanic currents that help regulate our typical weather are floundering a bit as well. The Labrador Current (northern originating) in the Atlantic Ocean has weakened due to warming (likewise, the Oyashio Current in the Pacific Ocean is weakening as well). The overall effect of all of these things for the Atlantic is the perturbation of the North Atlantic Oscillation--basically, the weather stream in the Atlantic. It's utterly SNAFU and to be quite honest, what is happening scares the devil out of me if it turns out to be relatively permanent.

Whether it's completely natural or not, I do not know. There's all sorts of things involved with weather/climate generation on the planet; ergo, I don't think it's just one thing but most of it seems to relate to a weakened polar vortex and warming oceans. Also interesting is that a glance at the glacial vegetation maps from the previous ice age seems to hint at a similar type of weather pattern that we're seeing now in the US with a drier steppe/arid climate on the West Coast (currently in drought) and colder taiga environments East of the Rockies (currently experiencing deep dips of the polar vortex). Pretty coincidental.

www.redorbit.com...
www.noaa.gov...

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Thebel

Bilk22

WhiteAlice
reply to post by Bilk22

Its normal, this year. The wind is going around the lower pressure center. Those low pressures have caused flooding in Great Britain. I have never seen so many deep lower pressures developing in the Atlantic.

If you want to see Jet Streams, choose Height 250 hPa. Those winds are very fast and show how jet streams work.
edit on 12-2-2014 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

It's only normal for the last couple years. In that way alone, it could be our "new normal". What's interesting is what is occurring in the Pacific is a significant high pressure ridge (comically dubbed the Ridiculously Resistant Ridge), which is bumping the typical precipitation that hits the West coast northward. So high pressures on the Pacific side of things. www.mercurynews.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

WhiteAlice

Bilk22

WhiteAlice
reply to post by Bilk22

In a nutshell: No.. All of our peculiar weather patterns seem to be related to the behavior of the polar vortex. It has weakened and expanded so it's not sitting like a nice and tidy cap on the head of the earth like it usually is. I do know that some of the important oceanic currents that help regulate our typical weather are floundering a bit as well. The Labrador Current (northern originating) in the Atlantic Ocean has weakened due to warming (likewise, the Oyashio Current in the Pacific Ocean is weakening as well). The overall effect of all of these things for the Atlantic is the perturbation of the North Atlantic Oscillation--basically, the weather stream in the Atlantic. It's utterly SNAFU and to be quite honest, what is happening scares the devil out of me if it turns out to be relatively permanent.

Whether it's completely natural or not, I do not know. There's all sorts of things involved with weather/climate generation on the planet; ergo, I don't think it's just one thing but most of it seems to relate to a weakened polar vortex and warming oceans. Also interesting is that a glance at the glacial vegetation maps from the previous ice age seems to hint at a similar type of weather pattern that we're seeing now in the US with a drier steppe/arid climate on the West Coast (currently in drought) and colder taiga environments East of the Rockies (currently experiencing deep dips of the polar vortex). Pretty coincidental.

www.redorbit.com...
www.noaa.gov...
Care to explain that in layman's terms?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

Basic rule is that warm air expands and cold air contracts. Right now, the polar vortex looks "bigger" and that's likely due to it being warmer. However, if it's getting warmer, then, logically, the air south of it is even warmer. The world's oceans are like a gigantic heat sink so what develops there is going to slap and push around the weaker vortex like it's nothing. Hence the big dips of the polar vortex into more unlikely locations in North America (ie Atlanta, Georgia).

Think of it as a high intensity boxer basically slapping around a wimpy fat kid. The oceans are the boxer's turf and the boxer's turf is growing northward (warmer water pushing up further north--those weakened currents) and so the wimpy kid keeps ducking into the continents and then getting bullied northward again once it hits the ocean again.

This is a water vapor satellite radar image of that interaction. Give it a few to get the map underneath to load and then, watch what happens over the oceans and continents. You can really see that stream going strongly NE straight into the UK as well.

climate.cod.edu...

UK storms with temperatures which is great for seeing that cold/warm air slam: www.theguardian.com...

lol, I probably messed that up somewhere. Just think oceans = bully fronts and the polar vortex is the wimpy fat kid right now.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Yea there's a lot of water vapor coming out of the North Pole. Affecting all sides.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

re Iceland
also thats where the warm gulf stream cools and sinks in a huge toilet flush type action and goes into the return phase towards the south eventually

the old whirl pool of lost ships
edit on 12-2-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
If this is a map of precipitation not only is England getting hit but it looks like a lot of activity globally. Maybe that's normal but something to watch to see what is/is not normal. With regard to ships lost in this area - I can see that. Can't even imagine being out at sea in that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join