It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Stupid: Alaskan Laws!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
[align=center]
[/align]

The reason for posting this is I believe it is true the statement from another ATS members thread about the average US citizen commits about 3 felonies a day or something like that without knowing one is doing so.

All the city laws are real and are presently in effect. The laws have been confirmed for validity by a practicing attorney Nathan Belofsky. He is one of the world’s leading authorities on strange laws. I knew most of these laws as a child, but was shocked at a few that I didn't.

State laws:
~It is illegal to deceive a machine.
~It’s illegal for a clumsy or unknowledgeable person to use a ski lift.

City laws:

Anchorage
~Moose may not be viewed from an airplane.
~ While it is legal to shoot bears, waking a sleeping bear for the purpose of taking a photograph is prohibited.
~ It is considered an offense to push a live moose out of a moving airplane.( read my Moose Dropping comment at the end)
~ No one may tie his or her pet dog to the roof of a car.
~ For all you would-be pranksters out there, it is illegal to string a wire across any road.
~ It is illegal to throw a grenade on the street.
~ It's illegal to put your dog in the back of your truck.( 50% or more people do this in the summer here)
~ It is illegal to whisper in someone's ear while they are moose hunting.
~ Moose are not allowed to mate in the streets.

[align=center]
[/align]

I wonder if one has ever been arrested or detained? I bet if a NY police officer moved here and heard this law, that JackA## just may try. I wouldn't put it past them!

~It’s illegal for drivers to allow an animal to jump or fall from a vehicle. Moving or not.( many break this constantly, I do that with my dog at 5mph. She loves it!
~ Persons may not live in a trailer as it is being hauled across the city.

Fairbanks
~ It is considered an offense to feed alcoholic beverages to a moose.

[align=center]
[/align]

~Its illegal to sell stun guns to children.
~It’s illegal for drivers to carry any animal on the hood, roof, fenders, or running boards on a vehicle.

[align=center]
[/align]

~It’s illegal to blow a horn in a manner that disrupts the peace
~It’s illegal to dispose of trash that can be scattered by wind or water.
~It’s illegal to fatten up a sheep, cow, or pig within city limits.
~It’s a crime to speak loudly enough to offend a sensitive person enough to make him/her leave.
~It’s illegal to exit a moving vehicle.( I have broke this law more times than I would like to admit)

Juneau
~ Dog grooming is illegal in Juneau
~ A person may only carry a concealed slingshot if that person has received the appropriate license.
~No animal is allowed to enter a barbershop or hairdressing establishment.

Nome
~ One may not roam the city with a bow and arrows.

Soldotna
~ Persons may not allow “attractive nuisances” to exist.
This refers to being aware or unaware of any object that may lure in a bear into or around a residential or commercial area.

Nome
~Its illegal to own a slingshot.

In my opinion I must say many are very insulting, but the amount of rednecks that live here are under the assumption we need these laws. LMAO.

I remember a moose that entered the UAA campus while I was there and the students were stumped to see a yearly standing in the hallway. It pushed the door open and came right in. Maybe he was cold? Is there a law against animals in Alaska wanting an education?

I also remember that back in the 90’s we have a local event called the “Moose Dropping Festival”. I vaguely recall that some PETA members in the lower 48 heard about this and wrote to someone of importance and were greatly appalled at Alaskans allowing moose to be thrown from a helicopter…. Calm down, the moose dropping is actually Moose S***. And there is a huge bulls eye on the ground. I believe it was a community fundraiser. [Is it against the law to throw a moose out of a helicopter?]

Please keep your comments on topic of Alaska Laws. I encourage others to start a thread of dumb laws from your home state.

I hope you enjoyed a little more knowledge about our laws here in the Great Land.

Sources: www.dumblaws.com
Voices.yahoo.com/top-silliest-laws
Realstrangelaws.com/dumb-laws/Alaska
edit on 25-1-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: Added Photo

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Some pretty funny ones there

There are some silly laws out there, but in many cases it's cause someone decided to do so and it went wrong or disturbed the peace and order.

If i decided to step on your toe's, a law could be made that it is illigal to step on other people's toe's( I'll bet it's already made somewhere).

I don't really get the ones that covers animals behavior

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Alaskans really want to protect their Moose - very nice

Lol

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Maybe a PETA member? But I thought that stood for:

Petition of
Eating
Tasty
Animals

I think that some of these laws still stand today but are ill re-guarded. Kind of like it's illegal to text at a intersection. What happens in 5 years when everything is hands-free? Our kids will think its a dumb law, right?

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

For all you would-be pranksters out there, it is illegal to string a wire across any road.

There was a bad accident that happen several years ago a teenager was snowmachining on private property an a man was getting pissy about it and strung up barbed wire and a teens head was severed off.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Ok, that's just hilarious!

Some of them make sense when you live here, but some are just plain funny. It makes you wonder what happened to get some of them passed. Thanks for the explanation on the " moose dropping" I can't believe that anyone ever took that literally. Without the disclaimer of drawing in bears, I could have had fun with the " attractive nuisance " law, lol.

I have broken the law several times and not even realized it, and right in the open at Alyeska, haha, I'm about the clumsiest person that I have ever encountered. Haha, and some of my experiences with chair three may explain why that one was passed, haha.

I would like to see someone enforce the one about not letting the moose mate in the street too.
Thanks for the laugh tonight!

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by woodsmom

I am a Black Diamond Devil on the North Face. I have been kicked off the mountain many of times for strapping in my board and jumping off the lift. The best one I did was at the top right before the lifty's can see you when it snowed like 4' in a the morning to afternoon:

EPIC!

Laugh away! Your Welcome.
edit on 25-1-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   

That sounds like my husband, I have some great aerial shots of him flipping his way down the mountain.
I have never been good at it but there is something great about tossing yourself down a mountain with a board strapped on your feet. I'm glad that one isn't my fault, lol!!

Now if only we had some snow staying on the mountains. The poor ice sculpters are even out tonight trying to get at least a couple of ice sculptures for the winter games tomorrow. Watch them make up some crazy law against the ice in Fairbanks now after this week too. I can only imagine what happened to pass a couple of their laws, like the one about the drunken moose.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   

When alcohol is involved, back in college we would run around the cars while the moose would lick the salt and SmaCk their ass.

We were too greedy to share the booze with them.

Yeah, the Ice blocks in Kenai have already melted down to Nature"s intended idea of a sculpture, LOL. They may get more ice blocks, but with the 40+ temperature I think it may be a loss cause. Now Nature is taken jobs away from the locals, Damn you! *shakes fists*. Also, I have yet to ride this year because of the 2nd summer.

Thanks for the reply!

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   
This refers to the use of "slugs" (fake coins) to get free sodas and snacks. Used to be a big problem before computerized vending machines so this one makes since.

~It's a crime to speak loudly enough to offend a sensitive person enough to make him/her leave.
Is this a new one? Seems like it would be in this ultra-PC age. But seriously, if you can offend someone by yelling in their general vicinity, how did they make it to adulthood?

~A person may only carry a concealed slingshot if that person has received the appropriate license.
We should flood them with requests for the "Concealed Slingshot Permit" form. I'm curious though, can you open carry a slingshot in Juneau?

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Thanks for a good laugh, OP. Those laws are something else and it never ceases to amaze me, what is on the books and occasionally even enforced for one reason or another.

I think we oughta have a national moratorium on new laws until they have gone through existing code, line by line, to justify each law on the books now.

Of course, laughter, disbelief and outright shock may add considerably to the time to get that done, as even lawmakers come to see how absurd some of it is with 'Blue Laws'.

Still, to get off the serious and just enjoy a laugh....this works well!

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

~Moose may not be viewed from an airplane.

So if you spot a moose from a plane, you must look away?

~ No one may tie his or her pet dog to the roof of a car.

That makes me think of Mitt Romney....

~ It's illegal to put your dog in the back of your truck.( 50% or more people do this in the summer here)

That's illegal in a lot of places these days

~ Moose are not allowed to mate in the streets.

And whose going to tell the moose that's illegal?

Dog grooming? Have to go outside city limits to clip toenails?

Some laws make a bit of sense. Many don't.
Lol at the moose droppings
edit on 25-1-2014 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I can also see the one about deceiving a machine still being viable. Unfortunately many people up here end up on house arrest or actually end up with a breathalyzer installed in their vehicles. I can see people tampering with them or trying to get a sober person to blow for them.

I do believe the moose dropping festival is still an annual event in Talkeetna. It's just one of their summer traditions. They do things like have the mountain mom (I think that's what they call it) contest. Women run an obstacle course and chop wood or make pancakes or harvest a garden bed, all while having a baby strapped on their back. It really is a fun Alaska festival.

I completely agree about getting rid of some of these ridiculous laws all over the country, but they can't even be bothered to read all of the new ones that they are passing. I also have to agree on the fact that anyone can be prosecuted for something because of things like this. I already mentioned the chair lift law, and snowspirit brings up another ridiculous one. I would also be guilty of viewing a moose from a plane. Why would you look away from a wild animal from the air. Now in reality I'm sure that it is related to hunting in some way, for example, you can't have your pilot fly you all over the 10 square miles that you will be hunting before he drops you off. It all relies on the semantics of the actual written law, and I'm sure that they are all open to interpretation.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
"I'm from the government and I'm here to help." are the nine scariest words in the English language, but I have a corollary - "There oughta be a law!"

Between those two sayings, we have done more damage to ourselves as a society than a lot of people think, and more damage than all the madmen with guns in the entire history of our country. Sure, these are funny, but realize that someone, somewhere thought they were necessary when they were passed.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

These laws are not as crazy as our weather right now!

I just walked outside and it feels like break-up.

I've got a lift ticket dying to be used in my wallet right now but i'm getting worried that winter is officially over

we can't even ride in my favorite gravel pit anymore, let alone Aly. Bummer

sorry to be off topic, I'm just glad to see some fellow Alaskans on ATS and wanted to subscribe to thread.

s&f for a funny read thanks.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I love those Ice sculptures. Iv'e only been there once but it was so cool at night with all the LED lights lighting them up.

that was like ten years ago, it'll always be one of my best Alaskan memories.

edit on 25-1-2014 by GoShredAK because: sorry im at work

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Thanx for the laughs.Those are some damn funny laws up there
I have to admit I'm disappointed though.You see growing up in New York I've always aspired to one day,go to Alaska and throw a moose from a plane.Now my life's ambition is gone

edit on CSTSatpm6261 by TDawg61 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

jhilyard
This refers to the use of "slugs" (fake coins) to get free sodas and snacks. Used to be a big problem before computerized vending machines so this one makes since.

[~A person may only carry a concealed slingshot if that person has received the appropriate license.
We should flood them with requests for the "Concealed Slingshot Permit" form. I'm curious though, can you open carry a slingshot in Juneau?
]

I remember when I was in high school we used to drill a hole in the top of a quarter and tie a fishing line to it and pass it though the top potion of the coin slide to get free sodas, LOL

Shhhhhh. Don't give any ideas to the FBI to pass THAT kind of background check.

edit on 25-1-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

"~ No one may tie his or her pet dog to the roof of a car."

Reminds you of Mitt Romney? I don't get that one. Care to explain please?

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I can foresee that if a State Trooper or police can't get you on something normal or realistic they have these dumbs laws to lean on something else to get you, lol.

Thanks

top topics

<<   2 >>

join