It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Chrome Can Listen To Your Conversations

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Ok time to set a few things straight.

The vulnerability was discovered by a user yes, this is true. Also true that it has been reported to google and no, nothing has been changed yet. The reason?

The exploit only comes into play on certain sites that have been compromised, the user has to actively allow the site to use their microphone by clicking allow and it only open as long as the pop up that is launched which records everything you say is open.

So in short, the user has to click "allow" for this exploit to work.

Google have commented on this saying "It is an issue that we are looking into" but at the same time because its users clicking "allow" its not high priority. You may ask / shout "why? THIS IS PRIVACY AT STAKE", well a number of sites that use the mic / cam's for honest reasons, removing this would then cripple the browser and restrict peoples use of it.

Its not google recording things you say and passing it to the NSA. Its not the NWO spying on you. Its people exploiting your hardware if you click "Allow".

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by thekaboose

Good info, but can you cite some sources for us to review the accuracy of your claims?

One more thing, my concern is not that the 'NWO' is doing this spying - my belief is that whatever smokey image exists of this shadowy entity in the minds of people, is nothing but paranoid conjecture; if the NWO were so powerful, there wouldn't be such a need for their secrecy - there are just too many factions comepting against one another in the world arena.

My concern is that most of these attempts at internet surveilance are often answered by some bullsh*t response such as, "Well, our company just wants to make target advertising more successful," or on the other end of the spectrum, "We are targeting potential terrorists." Either response rings hollow for me. I don't want my activities monitored, I don't want to be a statistic for some f*cking advertising firm, and I will not sacrifice my privacy for Homeland Security, which I believe to be an unconstitutional 4th branch of Government. Corporations work in tandem with State powers (we got this tip from the Nazis), to secure the illusion of freedom. Look for yourself - We have the Executive branch of the U.S. Government demanding that a host of cell-phone and other internet carriers resign the content of their collected metadata to the NSA. Most do it willingly for fear of penalty, save for a few cavalier companies (Lavabit comes to mind). This type of behavior is abhorrent to me, no matter how it is presented.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
here is a simple way headphones are turned into speakers...the guy is a little strange, but his demonstration is short, accurate, and to the point...www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

mysterioustranger
reply to post by rangerdanger

Well...they can activate a mic thats set to OFF and still listen. Like a phone even though it is off....they just enable it from their end...and thats been widely discussed here on ATS previously.

Oh. And if you have a webcam? At least turn it off too...and put a piece of heavy tape over the lens . And NOT clear scotch tape!!

edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: spell

Just point your webcam at your crotch

Might as well give the poor soulless spineless suckers a bit of entertainment while they spy all day on your what doings

Ever see the movie Cabin In The Woods?

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by therealguyfawkes

What if you don't have a microphone installed.

I run chrome, but I do not have any microphone device which could pick up a recording of my voice.

Thanks,

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Really the only true way to secure yourself: Remove layer 1 .

Anything that is networked , regardless of it is a Windows or a Linux , machine has the possibility of being exploited if it's connected to anything external. While some things are harder to do on Linux as long as layer 1 is there you are still at risk. If you ever want a good idea of what is actually traversing your interface fire up Wireshark or some other similar app and filter based on your ingress and egress then you can really see what is happening.

As for this specific exploit if you read the details on it it's like the "turn a cisco VOIP phone into a listening device" exploit that made the rounds a few months ago. Sure give me the ability to physically connect into your lan and then upload modified firmware and then do another 5 steps. People that are thinking the following, "I can open up Chrome and it will automatically listen to everything I am doing" are leaving out a key element.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
In today's world, I'd seriously consider unplugging the mic and cam, getting a proper firewall and running something like HijackThis to check what's actually running on your PC.

From what I've understood, the best crackers can invade your machine in a matter of minutes (especially Windows) regardless what protection you have. Apparently actual hardware firewalls can cause a bit more challenge. Correct me if I'm wrong.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

In the process of switching browsers and email.....torch is good, sleipnir 5 for browsers anyone....and for email im checking yandex and fast mail

just thought id throw those out for anyone interested

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Tryptych
From what I've understood, the best crackers can invade your machine in a matter of minutes (especially Windows) regardless what protection you have.

That is how it is shown on TV but as is usually the case reality is a different story.

The biggest determining factor is physical access to a Windows machine or really any computer be it Windows/Linux/OSx. You have way more options available if you are physically sitting in front of a machine vs if you are doing it over the Internet.
If someone has unlimited physical access to your machine and you don't want them to then you have a much bigger problem then firewalls and security software. So let's focus on Internet based attacks..

1. Is your machine patched ?
2. Have you taken the most minimal of software security steps such as running an AV and/or malware/rootkit app of some sort?
3. Dedicated firewalls (software/hardware) are great but are not a requirement for a home user to have a safe machine since just about every consumer grade cable/DSL/FIOS/some other broadband here router has a sufficient built in firewall.
4. Do you use common sense when browsing web sites or accessing email?

Applying items 1-3 above to your network and the machines on it and no matter what the Matrix quoting script kiddies here might tell you people aren't getting into your machine over the Internet regardless of the OS you are running.

Not applying item 4 though is the easiest way for someone to gain access to your machine which is no different then it has always been. Social engineering always has been and always will be the easiest way for someone to get unauthorized access to your PBX/Network/Computer.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Fact. Google is the biggest collector of your personal information. Email, search, ad clicks, etc. Their business appears to be software and services...it isn't. Their business is your personal and business information. They make the majority of their money off you. I'm not saying that is something horrible...just that it is a fact.

The government can use information maliciously, as can others. Google sells this information and can be "ordered" to provide it for free. If you want your privacy...stop using everything Google. Then start addressing the other problems. Cell phones, other browsers, other internet activity, Facebook, and on, and on, and on.

But...yeah...Google is the worst.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by netbound

I understand your point. I just wanted to say, the overall usefulness of bulk data collection is a moot point. Yes, it can be used immediately in one way or another, but it's 'bang per buck' is extremely low. There are other reasons, of course, why this may be wrong, which are related to social responsibility and basic human rights. There are too many technological achievements that need to be discussed, if we want to use them at all, and to what degree. And the list of such technologies includes a lot more than just surveillance technologies.
edit on 24-1-2014 by mrkeen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this OP, kudos for bringing this to attention.

I will never install Chrome on any of my home systems, ever, and I work for these jerk-face clowns!

Chrome is/was designed to work seamlessly with G+ which is just a self-induced data mining tool in sheep's clothing (or some sort of clothing that isn't at first apparent). If its working with G+ then its main function is to record and collect everything you are doing. Not my cup of tea regardless of what I do on my PC.

The real point with why some are very upset over privacy infringements like this isn't that they suspect you of doing something wrong, it's that EVERYTHING can be taken out of context online. This is something this forum has made abundantly clear to me over the years. And looking at how crazy our legal system is in the US it's scary to contemplate how anything you've ever said could be misinterpreted to make you look like a criminal, it's a reality that is very possible and likely exists.

Has anyone ever really thought of the whole meaning of the word chrome? It is a shiny, flashy skin that creates a false impression of newness and granduer over a lesser material.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   

jimmyx
here is a simple way headphones are turned into speakers...the guy is a little strange, but his demonstration is short, accurate, and to the point...www.youtube.com...

Yes, but depending of the sound card you have. On some of them, like the onboard cards, you can set any jack to be input or output. On some, like a Line 6 USB Guitar port, you can't. And also, it can't be used as a speaker and mic at the same time so if you are really scared of them turning your speakers into a mic, just listen to music 24/7 on the computer

Peace out.
edit on 24-1-2014 by bigwig22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Google can go ahead and watch my computer all they will see is a bunch of ats and video games. But if they listen they might hear my plot to assassinate the ... oops I've said to much.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   

@OP, did you bother to read the second paragraph of the article you cite:

In the video above, the programmer explains how Google Chrome’s speech recognition function remains operational even after the user has left the website on which they gave permission for the browser to record their voice.

So, you have to go to the speech recognition site in the first place. And, I imagine, there is likely a way at that site or via the task manager or preferences to turn off the feature.

But you just want to post a sensational and dishonest thread title.

For the record, I have been using Google Chrome now for the past few months and I actually enjoy a lot of its features. Had stayed away because of fear and loathing of the company that produced it, but it is, in fact, a purdee good browser. Keep using IE if you want, if that makes you feel so much safer.
edit on 25-1-2014 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   

rangerdanger
It's not a big deal. You don't have to sell all your # and go live in the mountains.
If you're that worried about it, don't use a computer. Not only can the government access what's on it, at any point, without the help of google, but by not using a computer, you keep websites like this free from all your fear mongering.
ANYBODY that knows anything about computers knows that there isn't really anything you can do to stop the government if they want access.
Throw away your smartphones, throw away your computers etc because there isn't anything else you can do.

It's a huge deal, just because they can doesn't mean they should.

The only governments that do this are oppressive authoritarian regimes. Free countries do not spy on their own citizens. For that matter 7 of our 10 first amendments to the constitution deal directly with various aspects of domestic spying, and there's implications involved for 2 other amendments. This action is quite easily the most illegal act the government could possibly commit.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   

MrInquisitive

So, you have to go to the speech recognition site in the first place. And, I imagine, there is likely a way at that site or via the task manager or preferences to turn off the feature.

But you just want to post a sensational and dishonest thread title.

reply to post by MrInquisitive

The thread title is the title of the source article I linked, which is the required format for submission to Breaking Alternative News--where I first posted the thread.

There's no hidden "sensationalist" agenda at work here. I'm just a normal guy trying to make damn sure that everyone out there knows the extent to which this corrupt government/corporate combine is invading your privacy.

IDK, most people and myself would get more outraged about the spying than about the title of the thread informing you about the spying. YMMV, and that's perfectly cool... I guess.

Take care.

(And I'm sure there's a way to "turn off" the feature... just like there's a way to disable apple's hidden tracking features
on the iPhone/iPad. Because, you know, you can definitely trust the word of companies that've been covert spying on you when they promise-promise-PROMISE you can disable their Orwellian nonsense)
edit on 25-1-2014 by therealguyfawkes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

therealguyfawkes
What more people should realize is that TPTB are looking to gradually accustom the people to the surveillance state so they accept it as the new normal. From the lukewarm indifference I've seen thusfar, it seems to be working.

You folks should be OUTRAGED that these criminals would have the audacity to spy on your data and eavsdrop on your conversations. What's wrong with you people? How mad would you be if you came home to find a stranger rooting through your belongings, looking through your phone, and digging through your computer files?

You'd be LIVID. And that's exactly what these criminal fascist government is doing to you... EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

Are you going to finally stand up and get the courage to do something about it? Or are you just going to roll over and die while these criminals trample the last vestiges of your rights?

But, but, but... it's to keep us all safe so it's absolutely, totally necessary!

Seriously though, I totally agree with what you've said but in reality most people, that I know, just don't care. It's actually quite frightening to know that people are so willing to give up their freedoms and privacy. Now if their gadgets and gizmos were taken away from them then there'd be uproar!

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

HomerinNC
W\ell, if they wanna see me surfing ATS, youtube, and my latest raid on Star Wars The Old Republic, theyre welcome to look on my computer

Way to miss the point.

I watched America die a little through your post.

Impressive.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Chrome has a lovely little habbit of asking for permission to do a lot of things, using a Microphone on a site for speech rec prompts the user with "Do you want to allow / deny" at the top of the screen.

arstechnica.com...

Go to any news source about this, any tech blog which has a clue. It will say the same thing, you...the user...have to allow the bugged software to work.

It doesnt just HAPPEN on these sites.

Misinformation is not a good substitute for a little personal research, not getting on the bandwagon and screaming to the high heavens how wrong X company is for allowing Y.

But yes, when ever you use your android phone or google software for things like this it does send back go google (like apple does), but they couldnt really care less what you are saying. The issue is as follows:

Complete b*stard (the script kiddies) - Codes into their site a pop-under which will load when you go to their site, the original page will be flashy and nice saying "Want to use our blah blah blah" - Chrome gives a nice little "Google Chrome wants to use your microphone for Allow - Deny

You - Have an option here, do you randomly allow a website to use your device?

No - You have clicked deny, you win the internet as you have not randomly allowed a site to access something that can listen without checking the website first

Yes - Congrats you just allowed someone to listen to you because you DIDNT READ.

People bash chrome a lot, I understand.. its run by google which everyone see's as evil (most of the people who have said this to me own iPhones.... trading one evil for another eh?) out to steal your data's.

Lemme just say this people:

If you user their search - its logged.

If you use their storage - its logged.

If you use google...its logged.

They have a lot of logs on everything you do.... and everyone else that uses it. Its not just chrome users.

Really worried about being abused online - Physical firewall (like my sonic wall), IP blockers and a lot of common sense... not just bashing a company because you once read that a bad man ran the company or that Satan himself is a stock holder

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join